Why is a Jeep not a car or a truck...? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > General Jeep Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2
Why is a Jeep not a car or a truck...?

I've been a Jeep owner now for a few months (07 Wrangler Sport) and I'm digging it! Lately I've noticed that when referring to it, I don't like to call it a car or a truck (the girlfriend and I have disused this a bit, she finds it funny, but I just can't call it anything else).

So I ask, why is a Jeep not a car or a truck? And what do you call it?

Also, I'm curious if anyone has named their Jeep!

Bmast is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
RoadiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmast View Post
Also, I'm curious if anyone has named their Jeep!
It's funny that you would ask this because right below this thread is this one:

What's Your Jeep's Name?

Anyway, I don't know about calling it a truck but whenever you call it a car they say a kitten dies.

RoadiJeff is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
harleydragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: south georgia
Posts: 3,908
most of these newer ones remind me of a car but my older jeeps get used as if they were trucks here on the farm
harleydragon is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
I would classify my jeep TJ closer to a truck but never a car tho... If I did call it a "car" a little kitten somewhere would die and we don't need that now lol
RevCo666 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
TJZ
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
TJZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Az.
Posts: 1,752
A Kitten Dies ! Lol. That's freakin Awesome. ROFL ! That's goin on a shirt or bumper sticker for me.
TJZ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ View Post
A Kitten Dies ! Lol. That's freakin Awesome. ROFL ! That's goin on a shirt or bumper sticker for me.
Jeep superstitions I want bids if you make a nice shirt, I'd buy one!
RevCo666 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,744
It's an SUV. Like seriously.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
jebby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Windsor Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,397
because its a Jeep
jebby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
I am JD & It's my Dream

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
JDsDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Peach State
Posts: 27,084
Images: 4
It is a Jeep. There is no other like it.

No car or truck let's you go topless and doorless and has the ability to take you anywhere you want to go all rolled into one.

No car or truck can be modified in so many ways that it would be possible for no 2 to be the same.

As far as I know there is only one thing that a Wrangler can't do...Win a Race.
__________________
The kind of woman that when my feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

To All Of Our Forum Veterans and Active Service Members.
Our Debt To You Is Greater Than We Could Ever Repay.
Thank You

Become a Supporting Member!
JDsDream is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
rabbits eat lettuce

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
tabber02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: left coast, florida
Posts: 11,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsDream View Post
It is a Jeep. There is no other like it.

No car or truck let's you go topless and doorless and has the ability to take you anywhere you want to go all rolled into one.

No car or truck can be modified in so many ways that it would be possible for no 2 to be the same.

As far as I know there is only one thing that a Wrangler can't do...Win a Race.
or pass a gas station

__________________
-bob

2010 JK - Mountain Edition
i spend way too much money on it... that's all


Do you like bacon? I do too, but only supporting members really like bacon, so.... Support the WranglerForum, you spend enough time here! Click here to find out how to become a Supporting Member...


Do it! DO IT NOW!!!!!
tabber02 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Spitse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 77
There was a dead cat in front of my Bank today. Who called my Jeep a car?
Spitse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #12
That's no moon

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
hbgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Baseball Town
Posts: 5,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabber02 View Post
or pass a gas station
it's funny because it's true
hbgirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Neral22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Pete
Posts: 936
Help control the pet population as Bob Barker used to say. Everyone needs to call their Jeep a car... I have 7 cats, hope to reduce my pet population... Jeep car FTW!
__________________
It's better to regret something you did do, than to regret something you didn't do.
Neral22 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,343
It's a Jeep thing.™
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
OmniscientHiers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Florence, AZ
Posts: 472
Sport utility vehicle? That's the closest definition in correlation to a common-named vehicle.

Also Jeeps win races, well one race... anyone see the CJ vs the Ferrari? Plus a TJ completed the Baja 500 a few years ago.
OmniscientHiers is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Y-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tri-Cities, WA
Posts: 979
A car is a car, a truck is a truck and a Jeep is a Jeep. If you say SUV that could be a Ford Excursion or a tiny Suzuki.

When you see this picture you know it's a Jeep, not a truck, not a car and definitely not an SUV.
__________________
2011 JKU Sahara; Sahara Tan, Leather, 3.73, Auto, Hard/Soft Top, SpiderWebShade, Dead Pedal, Skid Row Foot Pegs, BFG KO2, 10a Wheels
Y-Guy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #17
Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
harleydragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: south georgia
Posts: 3,908
I love seeing old pics like the one above....
my 91 yj,4.0,auto,soa with 33's thinks it's a truck..it spent today pulling a trailer around the farm as we loaded pecan limbs on it that we had cut off the trees..
my 80 cj7,400 horse 350,350 turbo,1 tons with 4.56 gears thinks it is a 68 camaro SS and feels like one on the street
harleydragon is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Ruby Tuesday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 925
It's a "Jeep" always has been, always will be to me, but I'm old school.
Ruby Tuesday is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Tarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Smethport, PA
Posts: 1,131
I call them ORV...Off Road Vehicles. SUV makes no sense to me. What "Sport" do you use a "Utility Vehicle"? Stupid term for a vehicle made up by idiots at a desk with nothing better to do...lol!! Kinda like "Cross-Over" vehicles...what?!? Didn't know automobiles had an identity crisis.
Tarby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #20
Newb
 
hankdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 13
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-852389855.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	285517

A little humor
hankdude is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #21
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,744
Sport being wheeling... Offroading. Or used to get you and your equipment to an obscure location. Fishing hunting hiking kayaking mountain climbing exploring etc

Just because in recent years companies have tried to make other SUVs that suck in quality and comparison to a wrangler doesn't change the fact that the wrangler was the original SUV. Everything else is a bad copy. I'm not sure why some of you can't comprehend logical classifications of vehicles. It's really not that big of a deal but apparently to some of you it is!
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Tarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Smethport, PA
Posts: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 View Post
Sport being wheeling... Offroading. Or used to get you and your equipment to an obscure location. Fishing hunting hiking kayaking mountain climbing exploring etc

Just because in recent years companies have tried to make other SUVs that suck in quality and comparison to a wrangler doesn't change the fact that the wrangler was the original SUV. Everything else is a bad copy. I'm not sure why some of you can't comprehend logical classifications of vehicles. It's really not that big of a deal but apparently to some of you it is!

Didn't mean to get your feathers all ruffled

" Jeep Cherokee (XJ) was the first true sport utility vehicle in the modern understanding of the term.[6] Developed under the leadership of AMC's François Castaing and marketed to urban families as a substitute for a traditional car (and especially station wagons, which were still fairly popular at the time), the Cherokee had four-wheel drive in a more manageable size (compared to the full-size Wagoneer), as well as a plush interior resembling a station wagon.[6] With the introduction of more luxurious models and a much more powerful 4-liter engine, sales of the Cherokee increased even higher as the price of gasoline fell, and the term "sport utility vehicle" began to be used in the national press for the first time.'

This is what I was talking about...the term wasn't really around till the XJ. Everyone referred to them as ORV or just "JEEP"

Also, the first "SUV"...."The earliest examples of SUVs were the Chevrolet Carryall Suburban (1935, RWD only)"

Just sayin' When people call jeeps "cars", I feel the same way when they are called "SUV"...not saying that offroading isn't a sport, or fishing, hunting, etc....but if you look at adds for "SUV"...the only sport they are advertised is for soccer, football, etc. Ping-Pong is a sport, it is in the Olympics, but I wouldn't consider it a sport for a utility vehicle....but I guess you can drive the team in it?
Tarby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #23
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,744
Trust me my feathers aren't ruffled and I probably use my wrangler in its intended habitat more than 99% of this forum. However anyone else wants to describe or use theirs is their own business.

Go look up wrangler. It says "SUV". I can't control classifications of vehicles and I'm certain the willys was a better "SUV" than the early suburban!

My point is just because the modern definition (or impression) of an SUV is wimpy doesn't change the fact that the wrangler/jeep was originally brought to civilian use for that purpose and has been the best at it ever since.



And from of the same wiki articles you used:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3562302071.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	285570   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1365688187.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	285571  

__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Tarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Smethport, PA
Posts: 1,131
When I was small, the CJ3B on my Great Uncle's farm was one of the tractors, because it had the Willys plow set for the rear...Loved it.

My point was that the term "SUV" hasn't been around as long as the vehicles that have been classified. Ask an elderly person if the term SUV was around when the Willys was prominent. It is a term used in the last maybe 25 years. Trust me, I'm the last person to be insisting on being right...lol!! I guess in time relation, as the original poster said Wrangler, the Wrangler has been produced during the tenure of the term "SUV".

Mine is still Jeep, or by designation in models.

Sorry to get off track...carry on....
Tarby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #25
TJZ
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
TJZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Az.
Posts: 1,752
Wow ! Haha


Attachment 285589
TJZ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
jkmohican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 1,236
Why do I not call my jeep a car? Because the guy in my avatar will shoot me...
jkmohican is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #27
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarby View Post
When I was small, the CJ3B on my Great Uncle's farm was one of the tractors, because it had the Willys plow set for the rear...Loved it.

My point was that the term "SUV" hasn't been around as long as the vehicles that have been classified. Ask an elderly person if the term SUV was around when the Willys was prominent. It is a term used in the last maybe 25 years. Trust me, I'm the last person to be insisting on being right...lol!! I guess in time relation, as the original poster said Wrangler, the Wrangler has been produced during the tenure of the term "SUV".

Mine is still Jeep, or by designation in models.

Sorry to get off track...carry on....


Wrangler has been around since 86. The xj aka your first "modern SUV" came out in 84... So yes.

Of course they haven't been called the same thing for 70 years, but just because nomenclature wasn't the same doesn't mean that's not essentially what they were by definition.

I understand you're point and honestly it's not a big deal but what the hell is it if it's not an SUV. It has to fit some type of classification even if it is an extreme instance or example of one. Just like humans and whales and deer are all mammals, but vastly different. We all share similar defining characteristics.

Anyways I think we've about talked this one out


Mines still a TJ, an awesome Jeep. That might just be an SUV. Have a good night man.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
whetstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,558
I've never owned an older (pre-'80) jeep but I did have several Scouts and early body style Broncos. They were classified as station wagons on the registration and I wouldn't be surprised if the CJ's were the same.
The reason that most people don't call them cars or trucks is due to the group-think mentality that enthusiasts, especially Internet enthusiasts, are predisposed to. I'm really enjoying watching people make the case that their Wrangler isn't an SUV, even though it says it is right on the registration...
__________________
As it turns out, I'm not a 'real' jeeper
whetstone is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #29
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by whetstone View Post
I've never owned an older (pre-'80) jeep but I did have several Scouts and early body style Broncos. They were classified as station wagons on the registration and I wouldn't be surprised if the CJ's were the same.
The reason that most people don't call them cars or trucks is due to the group-think mentality that enthusiasts, especially Internet enthusiasts, are predisposed to. I'm really enjoying watching people make the case that their Wrangler isn't an SUV, even though it says it is right on the registration...

You put into words what my frustrated thoughts were thinking
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #30
rabbits eat lettuce

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
tabber02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: left coast, florida
Posts: 11,567
i don't know about you guys... but my registration vehicle type says - lifted bad arse jeep - don't effing screw with this guy...

the font's just real small

__________________
-bob

2010 JK - Mountain Edition
i spend way too much money on it... that's all


Do you like bacon? I do too, but only supporting members really like bacon, so.... Support the WranglerForum, you spend enough time here! Click here to find out how to become a Supporting Member...


Do it! DO IT NOW!!!!!
tabber02 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC