Wider tires better in the mud???? - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > General Jeep Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under my Jeep in beautiful upstate N.Y.
Posts: 3,422
Wider tires better in the mud????

So I have 33x12.50 mud tires.A friend who has the same Jeep(TJ) has 33x10.5 mud tires.last time we went wheeling he was doing much better in the mud.So will a narrower tire do better in the mud because it can dig in better?
He has BF G/rich mud tires I have Dick Cepek mud tires.

1jeeplvr is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
WXman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central Kentucky, USA
Posts: 1,845
I had the same experience when I had .
10.50s my buddy on 12.50s went places I couldn't and everything else was equal.

__________________
~Lots of modded Jeeps and a Toyota 4Runner~
My favorite quote from the press release.. sad but true: "Chrysler claims its products, especially the Jeeps, can handle all sorts of terrible conditions, churning through muddy swamps, climbing mountains, and crossing rivers. Turns out they cannot even handle a car wash."
WXman is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wisconsin Dells
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr View Post
So I have 33x12.50 mud tires.A friend who has the same Jeep(TJ) has 33x10.5 mud tires.last time we went wheeling he was doing much better in the mud.So will a narrower tire do better in the mud because it can dig in better?
He has BF G/rich mud tires I have Dick Cepek mud tires.
Depends upon the type of mud tires - Are they the same tires, just different sizes?

Also - The type of mud will dictate how well your tires work. Sometimes you need a little flotation (which the 12.5's give), and sometimes digging down to terra firma is required, which favor the narrower 10.5's.

If the mud is real deep, I'd take the flotation route, as the narrower tires will just get you buried to the frame quicker.

Truthfully I avoid nasty mud simply because I hate to clean it up afterwards!
toms01TJ is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under my Jeep in beautiful upstate N.Y.
Posts: 3,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by toms01TJ View Post
Depends upon the type of mud tires - Are they the same tires, just different sizes?

Also - The type of mud will dictate how well your tires work. Sometimes you need a little flotation (which the 12.5's give), and sometimes digging down to terra firma is required, which favor the narrower 10.5's.

If the mud is real deep, I'd take the flotation route, as the narrower tires will just get you buried to the frame quicker.

Truthfully I avoid nasty mud simply because I hate to clean it up afterwards!
The tires I listed are the ones we have.And yeah,mud sucks to clean up.Seems it never all cleaned up either
1jeeplvr is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:30 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
kennisondan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: lafayette, la.
Posts: 121
driven a lot of louisiana mud.. here with the type of clay we have

I have found the taller, more narrow mud tire trumps the really wide mud tire, as the mud when wet is really slick on the very top layer..
I also have experienced that on a gravel road the narrower tire is more stable for me.. as the wider ones float around on the rocks and dust.

I like the looks of the widest tires, and like the performance of the tall narrow tires..
go figure..
dk
kennisondan is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:50 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
there is a time and place for that 34x9.5/15 Super Swamper
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:33 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
00tj2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Knight View Post
there is a time and place for that 34x9.5/15 Super Swamper
Still wish I got those when they were like 95 bucks a tire.... Wasn't that long ago
__________________
I know a lot of things, most of them are only correct in my own head...
Better to be judged by twelve then carried by six. I'm sure this is going to get me in trouble down the line
2000 sport, 5speed, 1-1/4 body lift, 3" zone, metal cloak front fenders, metal cloak control arms, 4.88, 35" cooper stt.
00tj2 is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under my Jeep in beautiful upstate N.Y.
Posts: 3,422
I think the next time I will get a narrower tire,although the wider looks really good.

1jeeplvr is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC