Winch install questions - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > General Jeep Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
BigDaddyAt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 210
Winch install questions

So I'm installing a new 12k winch on my heep, and all this stuff is relatively new to me. It calls for a direct wiring to the battery from the solenoid. I also got a wireless remote for it that I plan to keep in the glovebox. Am I not at risk for the remote accidentally activating the winch if something leans against the buttons in the glovebox?

That said, i presume the answer there is "yes", which leads me to my next Q, if I want to wire a simple "kill" switch for my winch, I need to use a pretty pricey relay from what I can find (winch max. draw is 320a @ 12v). Is this also correct?

Either way, I'm sure I'm not the first Jeeper with these issues. Anyone got any tips/tricks to share for this? I'm thinking of just leaving the wireless remote off for the time being, until I get this issue figured out...

BigDaddyAt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
NC Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,338
either put the wireless into a otter box, or similar container to keep things from inadvertently hitting buttons, or just take the battery out of the remote until you need it...

NC Bear is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
nick50471's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bushwood Country Club
Posts: 13,906
No reason to install a kill switch. Just turn off the remote or pull the batteries. You will never be in such a hurry to use your winch that the remote needs to be ready immediately.


Why a 12K on a Wrangler????
__________________
License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.
nick50471 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Stansbury Park, UT
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bear View Post
either put the wireless into a otter box, or similar container to keep things from inadvertently hitting buttons, or just take the battery out of the remote until you need it...
+1 on removing the batteries. The easiest and simplest.
SuicideSaints is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
BigDaddyAt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bear View Post
either put the wireless into a otter box, or similar container to keep things from inadvertently hitting buttons, or just take the battery out of the remote until you need it...
That was my other theory. Seeing the cost of a 500a relay left me thinking the battery option will be just fine
BigDaddyAt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
BigDaddyAt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick50471 View Post
No reason to install a kill switch. Just turn off the remote or pull the batteries. You will never be in such a hurry to use your winch that the remote needs to be ready immediately.


Why a 12K on a Wrangler????
It's a cheapy from Harbor Freight, and the 12k was cheaper than the 9k when I got it on sale last month...lol
BigDaddyAt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
nick50471's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bushwood Country Club
Posts: 13,906
Good luck
__________________
License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.
nick50471 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 138
Have extra batteries.
bondosgto is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
BigDaddyAt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondosgto View Post
Have extra batteries.
It's on the list
BigDaddyAt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
nick50471's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bushwood Country Club
Posts: 13,906
You won't need extra batteries. Your batteries will outlast your winch.
__________________
License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.
nick50471 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Stansbury Park, UT
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick50471 View Post
You won't need extra batteries. Your batteries will outlast your winch.
I died laughing reading this!!!!
SuicideSaints is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
BigDaddyAt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick50471 View Post
You won't need extra batteries. Your batteries will outlast your winch.
Lol, possibly, who knows...

Of course, I figure to need it maybe 1 or 2 times a year, at most. If it makes 2 pulls a year for 3 years that's $50/pull. I'd have to have a comparable Warn on her for 12 years (assuming she lasts this long herself)... I'd rather not pay for a winch that will outlast my heep, or my low level of need... As I said above, I had no plans for one at all really, but the low price to be able to have it in case, and to balance out the weight of the new swing mount and spare, just made it make sense.
BigDaddyAt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
kisportolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: U.P. of MI
Posts: 114
don't feel the need to justify why you bought a cheaper winch on here. plenty of us (including myself) have, and any time there's a thread about a winch that isn't a warn, the warn people jump on and feel the need to bash it or tell you why warn is better. you'd think they get paid to advertise..

nothing against warn, but my budget/use doesn't justify their cost. sounds like you made the same decision I did, and I hope it works out well. one thing I heard about the badlands winches is that they aren't as weatherproof, but if you'd like I can pm you a link to a cover I have that is inexpensive and fits great. does well at keeping it from the elements a bit at least.
kisportolt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyAt View Post
Lol, possibly, who knows...

Of course, I figure to need it maybe 1 or 2 times a year, at most. If it makes 2 pulls a year for 3 years that's $50/pull. I'd have to have a comparable Warn on her for 12 years (assuming she lasts this long herself)... I'd rather not pay for a winch that will outlast my heep, or my low level of need... As I said above, I had no plans for one at all really, but the low price to be able to have it in case, and to balance out the weight of the new swing mount and spare, just made it make sense.
If you won't be using it that much, just make sure you at least run it in and out occasionally to get it some use. Not using a winch can be just as bad as running it hard in my opinion. I've seen more cheap winches fail when needed because they have been sitting for who knows how long than anything else.

I don't really care what brand of winch people buy, the important thing to me is that they have one and most importantly it works properly and is maintained. Nothing more disappointing than getting setup for recovery to find out the winch no longer works.
geiman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
BigDaddyAt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisportolt View Post
one thing I heard about the badlands winches is that they aren't as weatherproof, but if you'd like I can pm you a link to a cover I have that is inexpensive and fits great. does well at keeping it from the elements a bit at least.
By all means, I'd love to check it out at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geiman View Post
If you won't be using it that much, just make sure you at least run it in and out occasionally to get it some use. Not using a winch can be just as bad as running it hard in my opinion. I've seen more cheap winches fail when needed because they have been sitting for who knows how long than anything else.
Very true. I'm sure I can find a shrub or something to rip out of the garden once or twice a year just for fun
BigDaddyAt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
nick50471's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bushwood Country Club
Posts: 13,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisportolt View Post
don't feel the need to justify why you bought a cheaper winch on here. plenty of us (including myself) have, and any time there's a thread about a winch that isn't a warn, the warn people jump on and feel the need to bash it or tell you why warn is better. you'd think they get paid to advertise..

nothing against warn, but my budget/use doesn't justify their cost. sounds like you made the same decision I did, and I hope it works out well. one thing I heard about the badlands winches is that they aren't as weatherproof, but if you'd like I can pm you a link to a cover I have that is inexpensive and fits great. does well at keeping it from the elements a bit at least.
For the record you were the first to mention Warn in this thread.

If a guy is savvy...I am assuming the OP is because he was thinking of installing a kill switch...You can buy an old junk Warn 8274(for those that don't know Jeep used to offer the Warn 8274 as the factory winch) and rebuild it for less than or equal to the disposable winches. If a guy just wants to build a rig with his credit card by all means spend as much or as little as you like.
__________________
License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.
nick50471 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
kisportolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: U.P. of MI
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick50471 View Post
For the record you were the first to mention Warn in this thread.

If a guy is savvy...I am assuming the OP is because he was thinking of installing a kill switch...You can buy an old junk Warn 8274(for those that don't know Jeep used to offer the Warn 8274 as the factory winch) and rebuild it for less than or equal to the disposable winches. If a guy just wants to build a rig with his credit card by all means spend as much or as little as you like.

for the record you were the first person to take offense to what i said and feel the need to justify yourself

then again, rightfully so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick50471 View Post
Should have bought a Warn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick50471 View Post
Buy a Warn 8274 and NEVER worry about recovery again. It will last longer than your Jeep.
and that's just the most recent two winch threads, i didn't feel like going back any farther. we get it, you like warn winches, especially the 8274.
kisportolt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
nick50471's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bushwood Country Club
Posts: 13,906
Yes I like the 8274. If you would like to learn how to build one for less than $800 PM me.

The first quote was in jest to a friend.
The second...well you caught me...I am waiting for my check from Warn.

Where in the UP are you from? I hunt grouse and woodcock near Rapid River.
__________________
License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.
nick50471 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick50471 View Post
You won't need extra batteries. Your batteries will outlast your winch.
Tell that to the guy when he lose's them, or they go dead from a lack of use.
bondosgto is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
kisportolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: U.P. of MI
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick50471 View Post
Where in the UP are you from? I hunt grouse and woodcock near Rapid River.
used to live in Marquette (went to nmu) but now live over in the keweenaw. rapid river from Iowa? that's a long drive for grouse and woodcock.. but I don't blame you! we're spoiled here
kisportolt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
nick50471's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bushwood Country Club
Posts: 13,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisportolt View Post
used to live in Marquette (went to nmu) but now live over in the keweenaw. rapid river from Iowa? that's a long drive for grouse and woodcock.. but I don't blame you! we're spoiled here
Only pheasants in Iowa but they aren't a challenge at all compared to hunting grouse in the UP
__________________
License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.
nick50471 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
BigDaddyAt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick50471 View Post
Yes I like the 8274. If you would like to learn how to build one for less than $800 PM me.
I'm sure it would be great, of course if $800 was the cheapest option, I'd probably never install a winch on my Jeep, even if I could get one brand new for $800, with no labor involved. I'm still pretty new at all this, but $800 is well outside of my ROI range.

BigDaddyAt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC