I searched around the Internet prior to my purchase but was unable to find information specific to the installation of the AEV tire carrier on our '14 JKUR X. I bought the carrier just the same and completed the install this past weekend. During the install I photographed some of the process that differed from the instructions AEV included with the kit. Plus, I took some photos that show exactly why you lose you your recovery point and why there's not an easy fix for it. At the bottom of this post I've included some photos of the hardware and the list of the hardware included with the kit. Of special interest is that the kit includes rubber plugs for the holes left over when removing the bumpers and the factory wiring for the CHMSL.
This is fairly easy to do in a home garage (or driveway) with a good set of sockets, wrenchs, a drill and the proper drill bit. There's a couple of extras that you will need. A rubber mallet came in handy, you need some anti seize compound, and a grease gun with grease. Many do-it-yourselfers will already have these items but I thought I would mention them just the same.
Bumper removal requires that we remove eight (8) bolts. Two each on the driver and passenger side and four (4) from underneath that go through the rear cross brace. There is no need to remove the support brackets from the rear bumper.
Cross member/brace bolts. Also note the four (4) bolts in the cross brace are captive bolts and should not be completely removed. With the side bolts loosened or removed, you should be able to back the rear bolts out approximately ˝ inch and pull the bumper away from the rear of the Jeep. This should allow you to see how much farther you need to go to completely remove the bolts from bumper. (Wish I had known that ahead of time.)
The bumper removed from the Jeep. You can see I successfully removed the bumper without the need to completely uninstall the mounting brakets like the instructions say to. I was able to reinstall the bumper without removing them as well.
The recovery point.
This is a shot of the AEV mounting bracket for the carrier next to the recovery point before the reovery point was removed. You can see the bracket goes on over the frame and covers the original bolt holes for the recovery point.
A side shot of the mounting plate that goes inside the frame for the recovery point.
A front shot of the mounting plate that goes inside the frame for the recovery point.
The rear exhauster trimmed.
The most difficult part of the install for me was trimming the rear exhauster. The images in the instructions make it look as if all you have to do is trim the hard plastic. When I test fit the mounting bracket with just the hard plastic trimmed however, there was a significant gap between the bracket and the door. I therefore attempted to "shave" the remaining hard plastic as well as the rubber gasket that attached around the exhauster. You can see I removed too much material directly under the bracket.
A few details about the exhauster are important to note. The exhauster is just a push in part. It is held in place with plastic "prongs" (for lack of a better term). I could not see these prongs while gently pulling on the piece and as far as I could tell there is no easy access to this piece from the interior side of the door. So I simply tugged and it came off. Of course I broke one of the prongs off. Awesome. <Yea...not so much.> My point is be careful if you attempt to remove the part. While the process would be a bit ackward, I do believe it could be trimmed while still installed if you take your time and are careful.
Also note the rubber gasket material has two "layers" to it. The top layer extends out over the underneath layer. With the exception of the hole that you can see in the image below the bracket, I was able to shave that top layer off and leave the second layer intact. This allowed me to have at least some form of water resistance on the corner under the bracket. Given the hole I cut and the prong I broke off, I will be replacing this part. Fortunately, as of this writing, that part is about $7 from Quadratec. Given the price point I'm not gonna get too upset.
Specific parts to watch out for:
The brass inserts
- one goes in top down, one goes in bottom up of the mounting bracket. Yea...I know...common sense but it took me a minute to figure that out while I was standing there.
- just install it pointed down. Mine stuck out a ways and I thought it was just because of the powder coating in the hole. Yea...well...I twisted it off. I ended up rethreading the hole and installing a grease zerk I bought from a farm supply store close by. This cost me way more than the stupid exhauster is going to because I had to buy a whole pack of zerks (which I'll probably never use) and the tap to re-thread the hole.
I hope that this post will answer some of the questions others might have about this kit and enable everyone to make an informed decision.