2011 JKUR Vibration at 58mph to 70mph only up hill. - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Anthem, AZ
Posts: 102
2011 JKUR Vibration at 58mph to 70mph only up hill.

Specs.

2011 JKUR
TeraFlex Long Arm 4" lift
3.8l
Automatic
21,300 miles
5.13 gears.
Aftermarket Front and Rear drive shafts.
Toyo MT 35x12.5-17r Balanced-well taken care of.

We primarily only use her for off road travel and hardly ever run her over 65mph. Well cared for, well managed Jeep. Not trashed.

OK, now the issue.

The sound shows up only on a up hill run on pavement, seeing how I must be around 58 to start it and will end if I go over 70mph.

It will be a "womp" sound about every second or so speeding up taking approximately 50 seconds to become a static sound. When at full "sound" it is almost like a rubber on plastic sound mixed with a hollow vibration sound and not very loud.

This only happens on an up hill run no matter the incline. Does not matter what gear it is in. Only speed. Does not do it in 4wd low.

Yesterday when it first popped up, after inspecting everything and finding nothing odd, leaking, rubbing etc. Got her back up to speed and the sound returned, gently pressed on the brakes, the sound backed off and then quickly returned as we proceeded up the hill.

Got home, full inspection, nothing rubbing, nothing out of the ordinary. Went ahead and greased everything, drivelines and the suspension components. Drive lines feel tight, output shafts are solid, nothing leaking.

Hit the road this morning, first hill... Not a sound. However the second one it was back, I gently pressed on the brakes, sound just kept getting worse. We decided to let it run its full course to try and identify the sound. We failed at identifying it.

Here is what we know. Light "womp" sound. Can feel the sound in the steering wheel as it speeds up not us. Hill goes away, so does the sound. Pressing the brakes does nothing to end it HOWEVER, quickly putting it in 4wd will end it all together and make the event start all over.


/dawn flame suit

sittingduck331 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 33,751
Some times a balance is not good enough. Extra attention needs to be put towards balancing bigger tires.
Were they road forced ?

Do you have a alignment sheet (caster angle) ?

Your rear driveline .. What's the DS angle compared to the differential ?
Torque up hill might have your rear DS operating at the wrong angle. -2* will prevent this- allowing the diff to raise under load.

__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler TR 2.5 coils/rear TB/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Teraflex monster TB/Synergy highsteer,tie rod, ball joints/Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/MC front SB links/Rancho geo brackets & shocks/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings=Frankinjeep from hell.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
planman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck331 View Post
Specs. 2011 JKUR TeraFlex Long Arm 4" lift 3.8l Automatic 21,300 miles 5.13 gears. Aftermarket Front and Rear drive shafts. Toyo MT 35x12.5-17r Balanced-well taken care of. We primarily only use her for off road travel and hardly ever run her over 65mph. Well cared for, well managed Jeep. Not trashed. OK, now the issue. The sound shows up only on a up hill run on pavement, seeing how I must be around 58 to start it and will end if I go over 70mph. It will be a "womp" sound about every second or so speeding up taking approximately 50 seconds to become a static sound. When at full "sound" it is almost like a rubber on plastic sound mixed with a hollow vibration sound and not very loud. This only happens on an up hill run no matter the incline. Does not matter what gear it is in. Only speed. Does not do it in 4wd low. Yesterday when it first popped up, after inspecting everything and finding nothing odd, leaking, rubbing etc. Got her back up to speed and the sound returned, gently pressed on the brakes, the sound backed off and then quickly returned as we proceeded up the hill. Got home, full inspection, nothing rubbing, nothing out of the ordinary. Went ahead and greased everything, drivelines and the suspension components. Drive lines feel tight, output shafts are solid, nothing leaking. Hit the road this morning, first hill... Not a sound. However the second one it was back, I gently pressed on the brakes, sound just kept getting worse. We decided to let it run its full course to try and identify the sound. We failed at identifying it. Here is what we know. Light "womp" sound. Can feel the sound in the steering wheel as it speeds up not us. Hill goes away, so does the sound. Pressing the brakes does nothing to end it HOWEVER, quickly putting it in 4wd will end it all together and make the event start all over. /dawn flame suit
What you describe is what happens if either the front pinion bearings are shot, the front pinion nut has loosened up, the front driveshaft slip splines have play, or the front transfer case output shaft bearings are shot.

It is common that people who run more than about 4.5 degrees caster with a 4" or taller lift end up damaging the things I listed above.

Put your front axle up on jack stands, then crawl under and twist the driveshaft, push and pull on the yoke at the pinion, check for side to side play of the pinion, check for play that indicates worn driveshaft slip splines, and do the same with the front transfer case output shaft.

You could also remove the front driveshaft to see if the vibration goes away to isolate the sources.
__________________

His: 07 JK Rub 2 dri, 6 spd, 5.38s in Currie RJ 60s, 4.5" Trailmaster long arm with 99" wheelbase, 40" Xterrains on ATX Slabs, River Raider cage, RIPPd
Hers: 08 JK Rubi 4 dr, auto, 5.38s, Teraflex LA w/ORE/King coilovers, 37" STTs on WE beadlocks, RIPPd
planman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-19-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
planman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 321
Out of balance tires don't stop vibrations in 4wd or with slight braking.
__________________

His: 07 JK Rub 2 dri, 6 spd, 5.38s in Currie RJ 60s, 4.5" Trailmaster long arm with 99" wheelbase, 40" Xterrains on ATX Slabs, River Raider cage, RIPPd
Hers: 08 JK Rubi 4 dr, auto, 5.38s, Teraflex LA w/ORE/King coilovers, 37" STTs on WE beadlocks, RIPPd
planman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-19-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Anthem, AZ
Posts: 102
Going to take her apart tomorrow morning at our shop.

Ill start with pulling the Drive Shaft, doing a through inspection, check the nut and so on. Then run up the hill, see what it brings on.



Will update tomorrow.
sittingduck331 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
HK_Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ken Caryl Valley, Colorado
Posts: 2,213
I think it is your driveshaft or pinion angle. Keep us posted.
__________________
2014 JKU Rubicon- all white with tan leather

LOD front bumper, AEV rear bumper, TeraFlex tire carrier, Shrockworks sliders, Method Standard wheels, 35" MTR Kevlars, Englewood driveshafts, Synergy 3" Lift, Artec truss, Teraflex C-gussets, Grabars, HotHead Liners, MORE dead pedal, Uniden 520 XL, 10lb CO2 tank...
HK_Runner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Anthem, AZ
Posts: 102
Ok. Got her back yesterday.

Rear Pinion angle was +5 degrees.

Rear drive line was out also. Move weight back 3/16" and 20 degrees.

I was present for the events that took place, solid job done by Jason at Absolute Offroad. She drives like a dream.
sittingduck331 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #8
NO MALLCRAWLER NO MORE!

WF Supporting Member
 
mommymallcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 1,927
Glad Jason got it taken care of!
__________________
Newbies Mandatory First Jeep Mod...
Get it naked, get it dirty and play with it!
mommymallcrawler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #9
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 33,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Some times a balance is not good enough. Extra attention needs to be put towards balancing bigger tires. Were they road forced ? Do you have a alignment sheet (caster angle) ? Your rear driveline .. What's the DS angle compared to the differential ? Torque up hill might have your rear DS operating at the wrong angle. -2* will prevent this- allowing the diff to raise under load.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck331 View Post
Ok. Got her back yesterday. Rear Pinion angle was +5 degrees. Rear drive line was out also. Move weight back 3/16" and 20 degrees. I was present for the events that took place, solid job done by Jason at Absolute Offroad. She drives like a dream.
Oh yea baby
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler TR 2.5 coils/rear TB/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Teraflex monster TB/Synergy highsteer,tie rod, ball joints/Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/MC front SB links/Rancho geo brackets & shocks/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings=Frankinjeep from hell.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2014, 08:22 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
COStrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,749
Nothing like the feeling of tracking down, then solving a vibration issue! Nice!
__________________
We do not take risks to escape life, but to keep life from escaping us.-Unknown
COStrider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2014, 08:38 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Anthem, AZ
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by COStrider View Post
Nothing like the feeling of tracking down, then solving a vibration issue! Nice!
I still owe you a Beer and a Guided tour of AZ!

Headed to Moab March 6th...
sittingduck331 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Anthem, AZ
Posts: 102
And thank you all!

sittingduck331 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC