2012 wranlger death wobble. Shops in WNY Area for second opinion? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3
2012 wranlger death wobble. Shops in WNY Area for second opinion?

my roommate's 2012 wrangler has developed the dreaded death wobble, dealer says he needs a new steering stabilizer. Truck has about 25000 miles on it. I'm wondering if anybody's in WNY and can recommend somewhere for a second opinion? I've crawled under there myself, can't see any obvious play in the front end. I'm just a weekend mechanic though, after all.

vmmorana88 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Dragonscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South Carolina; Rather be Florida
Posts: 384
Images: 1
First have tires checked to be sure they are balanced; daughters JKU had a similar "Death Wobble" at speeds above 50 mph course it did have 60K miles on orignal 255 SA's
Second check the track bolts; there's a write up in here use the search to find it, I just don't know how to paste it into this response.
Last: be careful of adding a steering stabilizer, these can be a short term fix and may not correct the issue

__________________
LATER
Dragonscape is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-25-2014, 08:09 PM   #3
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3
Ya ive seen the writeups, theres alot of possibilities it seems. I crawled under there and put some nail polish lines on the track bar bolts to hopefully see if their moving around. I figure ill check them later in the week. Quick thought, if you don't remove the stabilizer you should still be able to see play in the track bar bolts/bushings right? I had him turning the wheel between 10-2, but as far as I could tell I couldn't see any play. It's a bummer b/c his whole front end still looks so nice and new!
vmmorana88 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-25-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Dragonscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South Carolina; Rather be Florida
Posts: 384
Images: 1
Doubt that you could see any movement setting parked; as understand it it is a function of harmonics that sets up will rolling.
__________________
LATER
Dragonscape is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2014, 05:27 AM   #5
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 36,654
Explain his situation better.

If it shakes or vibrates at a certain speed range. In this case it's probably the tires, Death wobble is very specific. Something triggers it,the jeep shakes leaving streaks in your underwear. The only way to stop the front end from this violent shake is slowing down to almost/a stop.

The latter, most likely be caused because of a loose front end/steering Component like the track bar. If you watched PlanMan's videos, he shows how the SS is removed to when diagnosing true DW.

Focus on the track bar. If it's speed dependent, check tire balance/bent wheel.
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2014, 10:57 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Maxx143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 1,033
Sounds exactly like what happened with my TJ when the stabilizer links went. Easy and inexpensive fix but scary as hell when it happens on the highway. Check your links. Can't see why they'd be bad on such a young Jeep, but if you've been hard on her it's not impossible since they take a lot of stress.
__________________
Not just an X, a xXx, she's gonna get dirty!
'14 JKRX - Granite, 6-speed manual, soft-top, 430N, side air bags, Auto A/C. Mods: JWS8700Evo, Maximus-3 Stinger, Granite painted interior trim, 13" Antenna X, Rampage Locking Hood Latches, MC Grille Guard, Gibson Exhaust.
Maxx143 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2014, 12:02 AM   #7
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3
I have a 09 wrangler that started doing it a couple weeks ago. I have noticed it doesn't do it at 35mph or above. If you slow down though you better . Hold on. I really need to fix it. Or just buy some spurs.
francosjeep09 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2014, 12:16 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
gorillahydrographics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 1,242
Death Wobble is NOT fixed by:

Alignment

Steering stabilizer

Balancing tires.

Death Wobble is generally:

Track bar

Ball Joints

Control Arms - bad bushings


If your having bump steer - it could be steering stabalizer. If it doesnt have a lift or oversized tires its probably the track bar.

My 2013 had death wobble when hitting a bump in the road...bad ball joints was the culprit. 35" tires with off road activities wore the OEM ball joints out fast!
gorillahydrographics is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2014, 12:18 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
gorillahydrographics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by francosjeep09 View Post
I have a 09 wrangler that started doing it a couple weeks ago. I have noticed it doesn't do it at 35mph or above. If you slow down though you better . Hold on. I really need to fix it. Or just buy some spurs.

Fix it quickly...driving it can lead to additional damaged components which could mean you end up chasing the problem.

Even one episode of Death wobble can damage additional parts.
__________________
2013 Billet Silver 2 Door Sport -TeraFlex Elite Long Arm with Rock Krawler 3.5" Triple Rate Coils- Yukon 5.13 Gears - Detroit Locker (front)Eaton "E" Locker(rear) - TeraFlex Flip Kit/high Steer - Currie HD Tie Rod - Smittybilt XRC Front MoD Bumper w/stinger and Crawler Conceptz Skinny Rear Bumper - XRC 9000LB winch - XRC Flat Fenders - Cooper Discovery MT 35x12.50x17 - Custom Urban Camo Grill -
gorillahydrographics is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2014, 12:22 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
gorillahydrographics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmmorana88 View Post
Ya ive seen the writeups, theres alot of possibilities it seems. I crawled under there and put some nail polish lines on the track bar bolts to hopefully see if their moving around. I figure ill check them later in the week. Quick thought, if you don't remove the stabilizer you should still be able to see play in the track bar bolts/bushings right? I had him turning the wheel between 10-2, but as far as I could tell I couldn't see any play. It's a bummer b/c his whole front end still looks so nice and new!
You should..but I would remove the track bar and see if the holes at the axel or frame mount are ovaled - the TB may seem solid when turning the wheel...but f the mounting holes are ovaled they can allow movement that cant be seen as easily.
__________________
2013 Billet Silver 2 Door Sport -TeraFlex Elite Long Arm with Rock Krawler 3.5" Triple Rate Coils- Yukon 5.13 Gears - Detroit Locker (front)Eaton "E" Locker(rear) - TeraFlex Flip Kit/high Steer - Currie HD Tie Rod - Smittybilt XRC Front MoD Bumper w/stinger and Crawler Conceptz Skinny Rear Bumper - XRC 9000LB winch - XRC Flat Fenders - Cooper Discovery MT 35x12.50x17 - Custom Urban Camo Grill -
gorillahydrographics is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2014, 03:35 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
spinlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 37.9° N, 121.7° W
Posts: 4,043
Tires will not cause but they can trigger it. That's why it is common to get DW after a simple tire rotation. Start by getting your wheels Road Force balanced (dynamic balancing). Many dealers shops and Discount Tire shops have the required equipment.

Then check all the joint described above.
__________________
"A man has got to know his limitations."
H. Callahan
spinlock is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
gorillahydrographics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinlock View Post
Tires will not cause but they can trigger it. That's why it is common to get DW after a simple tire rotation. Start by getting your wheels Road Force balanced (dynamic balancing). Many dealers shops and Discount Tire shops have the required equipment.

Then check all the joint described above.
So why pay to get them balanced if it's just a trigger and not the real problem?

Fix the Real problem....don't hide it with a band aid.

Trust me..Ben there done that.
__________________
2013 Billet Silver 2 Door Sport -TeraFlex Elite Long Arm with Rock Krawler 3.5" Triple Rate Coils- Yukon 5.13 Gears - Detroit Locker (front)Eaton "E" Locker(rear) - TeraFlex Flip Kit/high Steer - Currie HD Tie Rod - Smittybilt XRC Front MoD Bumper w/stinger and Crawler Conceptz Skinny Rear Bumper - XRC 9000LB winch - XRC Flat Fenders - Cooper Discovery MT 35x12.50x17 - Custom Urban Camo Grill -
gorillahydrographics is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2014, 10:05 AM   #13
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 36,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillahydrographics View Post
So why pay to get them balanced if it's just a trigger and not the real problem? Fix the Real problem....don't hide it with a band aid. Trust me..Ben there done that.
I don't think that's what he meant. Obviously you want to find the root cause.
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2014, 10:17 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
gorillahydrographics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post

I don't think that's what he meant. Obviously you want to find the root cause.
It's bad advice to even m mention balancing...it's a waste of money.

Just search the DW threads....the ones that do it always come back and say it didn't help.

Forget balancing...if you have DW you are way beyond tire balancing.
__________________
2013 Billet Silver 2 Door Sport -TeraFlex Elite Long Arm with Rock Krawler 3.5" Triple Rate Coils- Yukon 5.13 Gears - Detroit Locker (front)Eaton "E" Locker(rear) - TeraFlex Flip Kit/high Steer - Currie HD Tie Rod - Smittybilt XRC Front MoD Bumper w/stinger and Crawler Conceptz Skinny Rear Bumper - XRC 9000LB winch - XRC Flat Fenders - Cooper Discovery MT 35x12.50x17 - Custom Urban Camo Grill -
gorillahydrographics is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2014, 10:22 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
COStrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillahydrographics View Post
It's bad advice to even m mention balancing...it's a waste of money. Just search the DW threads....the ones that do it always come back and say it didn't help. Forget balancing...if you have DW you are way beyond tire balancing.
I would agree based on first hand experiences too. Tires may trigger but never have I seen or heard from an actual person that tires were the cause of DW
__________________
We do not take risks to escape life, but to keep life from escaping us.-Unknown
COStrider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Motochain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 40
My 08 just started with the DW. Checked it out, and the ball joints were trashed, and my stabilizer was bent to hell.
Motochain is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2014, 09:26 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
gorillahydrographics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motochain View Post
My 08 just started with the DW. Checked it out, and the ball joints were trashed, and my stabilizer was bent to hell.
That was my cause also ball joints...
__________________
2013 Billet Silver 2 Door Sport -TeraFlex Elite Long Arm with Rock Krawler 3.5" Triple Rate Coils- Yukon 5.13 Gears - Detroit Locker (front)Eaton "E" Locker(rear) - TeraFlex Flip Kit/high Steer - Currie HD Tie Rod - Smittybilt XRC Front MoD Bumper w/stinger and Crawler Conceptz Skinny Rear Bumper - XRC 9000LB winch - XRC Flat Fenders - Cooper Discovery MT 35x12.50x17 - Custom Urban Camo Grill -
gorillahydrographics is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2014, 05:57 AM   #18
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 36,654
In PlanMans post. Ball joints can't be a direct cause of DW. Same with the tires .. A trigger.

Think about what's going on when you have DW. The AXLE is moving side to side/up and down at a high rate of speed. The ball joints don't constrain your axle. The rack bars and upper/lower control arms do.

My ball joints went bad. I'm not disagreeing there won't be wobble issue. Mine would clank over bumps and I would feel some slop in the steering wheel. Nothing ever crazy.

I think most people don't really have DW. Or understand the true definition of DW.
-speed dependent wobble that goes away outside a certain speed range. This is not DW
- wheel yanks side to side due to lift height and seeing angles. This is bumpsteer and not DW
- shakes/vibrates all the time while driving. This is not DW
- general looseness in the front end. Sloppy/jiggles over bumps. This is not DW.

The true definition of DW is this. The axle as a whole resonating at a high rate of speed. The only way to stop the resonation is by coming to a complete stop.
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2014, 09:23 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
gorillahydrographics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 1,242
My DW would only happen when hitting a bump. Some bumps produced full blown DW that could only be stopped by slowing to almost a full stop.

Some bumps created severe bump steer and a harmonic type noise from the front..like 2 pieces of metal rubbing.

Track bar was good but the shop thought the upper hiem at the frame had a sligh movment to it...

Heim joint replaced - still had DW $29.00 -

Next they thought the tires were out of balance

Balanced - Still had DW - $49.00 -

The mounting holes for the TB checked - still round.

Control arms - only 4 months old with Lift - Good.

OEM ball joints - Upper and lowers - bad

Replaced ball joints


No more DW

Just do a google search...lots of DW cured by replacing ball joints.

Dont know what else to say...
__________________
2013 Billet Silver 2 Door Sport -TeraFlex Elite Long Arm with Rock Krawler 3.5" Triple Rate Coils- Yukon 5.13 Gears - Detroit Locker (front)Eaton "E" Locker(rear) - TeraFlex Flip Kit/high Steer - Currie HD Tie Rod - Smittybilt XRC Front MoD Bumper w/stinger and Crawler Conceptz Skinny Rear Bumper - XRC 9000LB winch - XRC Flat Fenders - Cooper Discovery MT 35x12.50x17 - Custom Urban Camo Grill -
gorillahydrographics is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2014, 04:44 AM   #20
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillahydrographics View Post
Death Wobble is NOT fixed by:

Alignment

Steering stabilizer

Balancing tires.

Death Wobble is generally:

Track bar

Ball Joints

Control Arms - bad bushings

If your having bump steer - it could be steering stabalizer. If it doesnt have a lift or oversized tires its probably the track bar.

My 2013 had death wobble when hitting a bump in the road...bad ball joints was the culprit. 35" tires with off road activities wore the OEM ball joints out fast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillahydrographics View Post

Fix it quickly...driving it can lead to additional damaged components which could mean you end up chasing the problem.

Even one episode of Death wobble can damage additional parts.
You were so right. Drove it to the river a few days after making the post, and she wobbled one time and broke my track bar mount at the axle. No good. So much for buying spurs.
francosjeep09 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2014, 01:52 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
eddieREcksJks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: El Paso
Posts: 23
If anything it's the ball joints. I have 2010 26000 miles and I need ball joints I have replaced everything buhh my ball joints and I have a little vibrate. Buhh if you want a cheap fix for right now get a dual stabilizer. Buhh check track bar and trying moving more bars under there to see if anything moves. Get an alignment they will tell you a full report and tell you if you may need ball joints
eddieREcksJks is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2014, 02:43 PM   #22
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 36,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieREcksJks View Post
If anything it's the ball joints. I have 2010 26000 miles and I need ball joints I have replaced everything buhh my ball joints and I have a little vibrate. Buhh if you want a cheap fix for right now get a dual stabilizer. Buhh check track bar and trying moving more bars under there to see if anything moves. Get an alignment they will tell you a full report and tell you if you may need ball joints
on the stabilizer

kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC