2013 JKUR: YASP = Yet Another Stereo Plan - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
paleh0rse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,118
YASUP = Yet Another Stereo Upgrade Plan

Hey guys, I'm looking to do a complete overhaul of my stereo, but I'll be the first to admit that I am NOT a "car audio guy," so I need some advice.

I have spent a good many hours studying the stereo threads in these forums (and others). My plan is to run a single-DIN head unit and a single-DIN CB in the space where our stock double-DIN units sit now.

Vehicle = 2013 JKUR

My questions:
Q1: What am I missing?
Q2: Will these components work well together?
Q3: Any additional recommendations?
Q4: Is there a way to leverage the stock satellite antenna instead of using the tuner with dash mount antenna I have listed above? Does the stock satellite antenna have a standard connector?
Q5: The Amp is 10-5/8" W, 9-1/16" D, 2-5/16" H... what is the best mounting location to keep it safe?

The following is the list I've come up with:

(1) Cobra 18WXSTII Mobile CB Radio (Single DIN)
Amazon.com: Cobra 18WXSTII Mobile CB Radio with Dual Watch: Car Electronics
$65

(1) Alpine CDE-HD149BT CD Player
(1) PAC RP4-CH11 Factory Integration Adapter
(1) Metra 40-EU10 Antenna Adapter
(1) Metra 95-6511 In-dash Receiver Kit
(1) Motorola Antenna Cable
Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LED LCD TV, Cameras
$375

(1) SiriusXM SXV200V1 Tuner
Amazon.com: SiriusXM SXV200v1 Connect Vehicle Tuner for SiriusXM-Ready Car Stereo Receivers: Car Electronics
$44

(1) Polk Audio DB6501 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System (Pair, 4 ohm)
Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB6501 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System (Pair, Silver): Car Electronics
$113

(1) Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair, 4 ohm)
Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers: Car Electronics
$57

(2) Metra 72-6514 Speaker Harness for Select Chrysler/Dodge Vehicles (Pack of 2)
Amazon.com: Metra 72-6514 Speaker Harness for Select Chrysler/Dodge Vehicles: Electronics
$14

(1) MRX-V70 - Alpine 4-Channel plus Mono Power Amplifier (5 Channels total)
Amazon.com: MRX-V70 - Alpine 4-Channel plus Mono Power Amplifier: Car Electronics
$255

(1) Polk Audio AA3085-A MM840 DVC 8-Inch Subwoofer (in stock sub enclosure)
Amazon.com: Polk Audio AA3085-A MM840 DVC 8-Inch Subwoofer: Car Electronics
$100

(1) R/T 8" Steel Waffle Speaker Grill with Mounting Brackets and Screws
Amazon.com: R/T 8" Steel Waffle Speaker Grill with Mounting Brackets and Screws: Car Electronics
$9

TOTAL: $1032 + Cables + Install

Thanks ahead of time!

paleh0rse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 94
I have almost the identical system, just no sub. The only thing I would do differently is find the stock amplifier mounting plate and use it. My amp in under the drivers seat and I don't like it there. The sound quality is amazing and you won't be disappointed. I am fairly handy but no audio expert and I installed everything myself. Crutchfield is an amazing resource and yes stuff can be purchased at a lower price but their attention to detail and the technical support is worth the money.
Does you JK have Sirius now? Mine did not so there was some experimentation with the antenna location; it's on top of the roll bar.
David

Happy515Camper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
paleh0rse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy515Camper View Post
I have almost the identical system, just no sub. The only thing I would do differently is find the stock amplifier mounting plate and use it. My amp in under the drivers seat and I don't like it there. The sound quality is amazing and you won't be disappointed. I am fairly handy but no audio expert and I installed everything myself. Crutchfield is an amazing resource and yes stuff can be purchased at a lower price but their attention to detail and the technical support is worth the money.
Does you JK have Sirius now? Mine did not so there was some experimentation with the antenna location; it's on top of the roll bar.
David
Well that leads to two additional questions I forgot and was going to add:
Q4: Is there a way to leverage the stock satellite antenna instead of using the dash-mount antenna that comes with the tuner I have listed above? (does the stock antenna have a standard connector?)

Q5: The Amp is 10-5/8" W, 9-1/16" D, 2-5/16" H... what is the best mounting location to keep it safe?
paleh0rse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
Well that leads to two additional questions I forgot and was going to add:
Q4: Is there a way to leverage the stock satellite antenna instead of using the dash-mount antenna that comes with the tuner I have listed above? (does the stock antenna have a standard connector?)

Q5: The Amp is 10-5/8" W, 9-1/16" D, 2-5/16" H... what is the best mounting location to keep it safe?
The Sat tuner comes with an antenna with a long lead wire. Route it from behind the dash, up the A pillar roll bar and put it on top of the gusset @ the B pillar cross bar. If you need a picture let me know. I don't know about the stock connection but your have a viable alternative with the new tuner/antenna.
Do you have a stock amp? If so use that mounting plate in the stock location just below the steering column behind the dash.
Happy515Camper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
paleh0rse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy515Camper View Post

The Sat tuner comes with an antenna with a long lead wire. Route it from behind the dash, up the A pillar roll bar and put it on top of the gusset @ the B pillar cross bar. If you need a picture let me know. I don't know about the stock connection but your have a viable alternative with the new tuner/antenna.
Do you have a stock amp? If so use that mounting plate in the stock location just below the steering column behind the dash.
Great info, thanks. A picture of the antenna placement would definitely help a little, but please don't go out of your way if it's tough to get to!

I do have the stock amp, but isn't it much smaller than the dimensions I posted for the new amp? If it will actually fit in the and place, that'd be fantastic! LOL
paleh0rse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
Great info, thanks. A picture of the antenna placement would definitely help a little, but please don't go out of your way if it's tough to get to!

I do have the stock amp, but isn't it much smaller than the dimensions I posted for the new amp? If it will actually fit in the and place, that'd be fantastic! LOL
I wasn't paying attention and made a mistake. My amp is a MRV-F300 and smaller than yours. I have a powered sub I may use one day so didn't need the extra channel.
Seriously though I would buy the mounting plate from you quick, fast and in a hurry if you don't use it.
Happy515Camper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
paleh0rse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy515Camper View Post
I wasn't paying attention and made a mistake. My amp is a MRV-F300 and smaller than yours. I have a powered sub I may use one day so didn't need the extra channel.
Seriously though I would buy the mounting plate from you quick, fast and in a hurry if you don't use it.
I'll keep that in mind and keep this thread updated with my progress. If I end up not using the plate, it's yours!
paleh0rse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,941
Sounds good but I would modify your components a bit....

1) Do you really need a CD player? If yes, skip this and move on to #2, if not, then I suggest you go with something like this unit instead.

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

2) Speakers...Im a big fan of Polk home audio, but not their car audio.

For the fronts, I'd up your budget a little bit and go with something like these...
WoofersEtc.com - 165A1 SG - Focal Access 6.5" 2-Way Component Speaker System

If you really must stick around the $100 range, these would be a better solution
WoofersEtc.com - D364.5 - Diamond Audio 6.5" 2-Way Convertible Component Speaker

or these

WoofersEtc.com - PVM216 - MB Quart 6.5" 2-Way Premium Series Component Speakers System

For the soundbar you can get something like this...
WoofersEtc.com - SPS-610 G - Alpine 6.5" 2-Way 80W RMS Coaxial Speaker

or if you want an upgrade, the type R's are great as well....

WoofersEtc.com - SPR-60 - Alpine 6.5" Type-R 2-Way Coaxial Speakers

You can go with even better speakers, but thats up to you, if your budget allows.

For the amp, I highly recommend you go with the Alpine PDX5 if your budget allows.

3) Sub..for the sub, I run a Rockford P1 and have been very happy with it in the stock enclosure.
http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosga...ckford+p1+8%22

grill....
http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosga...kford+p1+grill

Oh, and when you're ready to buy cable, buy everything from here...
http://www.knukonceptz.com/

If you want a guarantee NOT to have alternator whine, make sure you go with these RCAs (the Krystal series)
http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMa...20RCA%20Kables

They sell everything from speaker wire, to power wire, to ground wire, to fuses, inline fuses, etc. Order more than you think you need, sucks to have a short wire, since loose power/ground wire isn't easy to get.

Having said all that, I still would rather go with a really nice double DIN unit of your choice, and get the cobra 75WSXT. I don't really see a reason why you would want a bulky CB, when they all work basically for the same range. I have wheeled with guys that have the bulky units, and never did I have trouble receiving transmissions and never did anyone have any trouble hearing me. Just my .02
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
paleh0rse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,118
^^ awesome info, and certainly some things to think about.

Regarding the head unit, you linked to the exact one I'm getting (the 149BT is in my list)... LOL. Did you mean to link to something else?

The reason I don't need a touchscreen is that I have a ProClip mount that puts my phone right next to the stereo. I use that for everything (nav, music, etc). The cool thing about the 149BT head unit is that it has a companion android app for tuning via bluetooth! (called TuneIt) The app also integrates other phone functions, as well.

As for speakers, I'll take a look at the ones you listed. I'm a fan of Focal, but they're pricey as hell. I'll check out everything you listed, though.

I'll also check out the RF sub you listed. How well does it fit the enclosure? Did you need a spacer?

For the amp, the PDX5 is nice, but it's discontinued. The one I listed is their current 5ch version. It's slightly larger, but it puts out the perfect RMS for the speakers and sub I listed. If I go with didn't speakers, I'll probably have to go with separate amps... It's an option, though, so I'll consider it.

As for the CB, I currently use a cheap Uniden 510, and it's fine. However, since I'm looking at single DIN stereos, I figured I'd just get a slightly better single DIN CB for a cleaner CB install in the dash -- instead of just using that space for some unneeded storage.
paleh0rse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #10
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
paleh0rse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,118
Interesting... there is like-new-in-box Alpine PDX-5M (Marine grade) on eBay for just $250 + shipping.
paleh0rse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
Interesting... there is like-new-in-box Alpine PDX-5M (Marine grade) on eBay for just $250 + shipping.
Thats a STEAL...if the seller has good feedback, Id jump on it ASAP.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #12
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
^^ awesome info, and certainly some things to think about.

Regarding the head unit, you linked to the exact one I'm getting (the 149BT is in my list)... LOL. Did you mean to link to something else?

The reason I don't need a touchscreen is that I have a ProClip mount that puts my phone right next to the stereo. I use that for everything (nav, music, etc). The cool thing about the 149BT head unit is that it has a companion android app for tuning via bluetooth! (called TuneIt) The app also integrates other phone functions, as well.

As for speakers, I'll take a look at the ones you listed. I'm a fan of Focal, but they're pricey as hell. I'll check out everything you listed, though.

I'll also check out the RF sub you listed. How well does it fit the enclosure? Did you need a spacer?

For the amp, the PDX5 is nice, but it's discontinued. The one I listed is their current 5ch version. It's slightly larger, but it puts out the perfect RMS for the speakers and sub I listed. If I go with didn't speakers, I'll probably have to go with separate amps... It's an option, though, so I'll consider it.

As for the CB, I currently use a cheap Uniden 510, and it's fine. However, since I'm looking at single DIN stereos, I figured I'd just get a slightly better single DIN CB for a cleaner CB install in the dash -- instead of just using that space for some unneeded storage.
I didnt notice your model number, I just saw you said "CD player" so I figured Id link the headunit, but if thats the one you are getting then awesome. The amp you linked isn't the new PDX5 (which you correctly stated is discontinued, but still available in certain places and ebay.) The new one I believe is the PDX V9, and they hiked the price up pretty seriously. The focals I linked are a little more than the speakers you chose, but in the grand scheme, I think you wont miss that $100 but will be happier with superior speakers. The other two I linked are priced the same as yours, but again, are superior drivers.
My sub does indeed need a spacer. I bought a set on ebay for $9 shipped (only need one).
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #13
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
paleh0rse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post

Thats a STEAL...if the seller has good feedback, Id jump on it ASAP.
It's not "buy it now"... hate bidding... LOL. May still try, though
paleh0rse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #14
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
paleh0rse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post

I didnt notice your model number, I just saw you said "CD player" so I figured Id link the headunit, but if thats the one you are getting then awesome. The amp you linked isn't the new PDX5 (which you correctly stated is discontinued, but still available in certain places and ebay.) The new one I believe is the PDX V9, and they hiked the price up pretty seriously. The focals I linked are a little more than the speakers you chose, but in the grand scheme, I think you wont miss that $100 but will be happier with superior speakers. The other two I linked are priced the same as yours, but again, are superior drivers.
My sub does indeed need a spacer. I bought a set on ebay for $9 shipped (only need one).
Aren't those Focals $250 each? That's how I read the listing... Or maybe I read it wrong?
paleh0rse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #15
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
Aren't those Focals $250 each? That's how I read the listing... Or maybe I read it wrong?
Quote:
Component speaker system includes two 6.5" woofers, 2 tweeters, 2 external crossovers, and 2 woofer grilles
Definitely read it wrong.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #16
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
paleh0rse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post

Definitely read it wrong.
Hmm... That certainly makes them a more interesting option.
paleh0rse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-21-2013, 01:01 AM   #17
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
paleh0rse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,118
Revised List:

(1) Cobra 18WXSTII Mobile CB Radio (Single DIN)
Amazon.com: Cobra 18WXSTII Mobile CB Radio with Dual Watch: Car Electronics
$65

(1) Alpine CDE-HD149BT CD Player
(1) PAC RP4-CH11 Factory Integration Adapter
(1) Metra 40-EU10 Antenna Adapter
(1) Metra 95-6511 In-dash Receiver Kit
(1) Motorola Antenna Cable
Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LED LCD TV, Cameras
$375

(1) SiriusXM SXV200V1 Tuner
Amazon.com: SiriusXM SXV200v1 Connect Vehicle Tuner for SiriusXM-Ready Car Stereo Receivers: Car Electronics
$44

(1) Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" Type-R Component System (Pair, 110 Wats RMS)
Amazon.com: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" Car Audio Component System (Pair): Car Electronics
$155

(1) Alpine SPR-60 6.5" Car Audio Coaxial Speakers (Pair, 100 Watts RMS)
Amazon.com: Alpine SPR-60 6.5" Car Audio Coaxial Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics
$110

(2) Metra 72-6514 Speaker Harness for Select Chrysler/Dodge Vehicles (Pack of 2)
Amazon.com: Metra 72-6514 Speaker Harness for Select Chrysler/Dodge Vehicles: Electronics
$14

(1) Alpine PDX-V9, 4+1 Channel Extreme Power Density Digital Amplifier (100 watts RMS x 4 + 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 or 4 ohms)
Amazon.com: Alpine PDX-V9, 4-Channel Extreme Power Density Digital AMplifier: Car Electronics
$415

(1) Alpine RUX-KNOB Remote Bass Level Control Knob
Amazon.com: Alpine RUX-KNOB Remote Bass Level Control Knob for PDX-M12 and PDX-M6: Electronics
$20

(1) Polk Audio AA3085-A MM840 DVC 8-Inch Subwoofer (250 Watts RMS, 500 Watts Peak)
Amazon.com: Polk Audio AA3085-A MM840 DVC 8-Inch Subwoofer: Car Electronics
$100

(1) R/T 8" Steel Waffle Speaker Grill with Mounting Brackets and Screws
Amazon.com: R/T 8" Steel Waffle Speaker Grill with Mounting Brackets and Screws: Car Electronics
$9

TOTAL: $1307 + Cables + Install
paleh0rse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #18
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,941
Looks good to me. My only comment is that the type R's I believe are silk tweeters. I generally prefer metal (aluminum) for their higher metallic pitch...many do NOT like that. Personal preference, just figured I'd throw the info out there.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #19
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
paleh0rse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,118
Well, it's begun... I ordered what may be the last available MM840 subwoofer in the country last night! LOL

The rest will be ordered soon...
paleh0rse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
nobndry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lynchburg, VA/ Morgantown,WV
Posts: 1,057
Before you order I'd look at polks again try these. http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-AA2...ywords=Polk+mm and these http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-AA6...ywords=Polk+mm They are awesome and marine grade for those pop up top down rainstorms.
__________________
2010 Wrangler 2dr Sport BLACK 6spd manual, 3.73 gears, 3" TF lift, 35"KM2

... See JKs do wave.
nobndry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #21
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobndry View Post
Before you order I'd look at polks again try these. Amazon.com: Polk Audio AA2651-A MM651 6.5-Inch Coax Speaker: Electronics and these Amazon.com: Polk Audio AA6514-A MM6501 6.5-Inch System Speaker System: Car Electronics They are awesome and marine grade for those pop up top down rainstorms.
Marine grade anything is a waste in a JK. If you have water issues in the dash where marine grade speakers would survive, the rest of your dash and OEM computers wont. The JK simply can't submarine.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
nobndry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lynchburg, VA/ Morgantown,WV
Posts: 1,057
I was thinking more of water in the roll bar speakers. I've never had a problem with water getting in the dash.
__________________
2010 Wrangler 2dr Sport BLACK 6spd manual, 3.73 gears, 3" TF lift, 35"KM2

... See JKs do wave.
nobndry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #23
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobndry View Post
I was thinking more of water in the roll bar speakers. I've never had a problem with water getting in the dash.
The soundbar is sealed...how the hell do you get water into the soundbar?
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #24
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 4,738
Found this being linked/shared on FB.

I Never thought of going with a dual 1-din install. I really like this idea.

Was just discussing CBs today and I was having problems finding a mount location that I liked.

I also had a camera mod on my list. This would kill 2 mods in one for me.

I never thought of using a 1 din unit with a camera screen in it.
__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-21-2013, 11:48 PM   #25
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
paleh0rse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmanvarn View Post
Found this being linked/shared on FB.

I Never thought of going with a dual 1-din install. I really like this idea.

Was just discussing CBs today and I was having problems finding a mount location that I liked.

I also had a camera mod on my list. This would kill 2 mods in one for me.

I never thought of using a 1 din unit with a camera screen in it.
You're taking about the Kenwood KIV-701 I used as the image on Facebook to show my jeep club the idea. That's the unit with the small screen and camera add-on. I'm actually thinking of going with the Alpine 149BT I listed above. Both are solid choices, but I think the Alpine would work better for me, personally, due to its more robust compatibility with Android smart phones. Unfortunately, I do lose the screen and camera option, though...

I even did a mock-up today of what it would look like with the Alpine unit I'm considering:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-11-22 00.03.53.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	533658

There's a great thread on jk-forum with a bunch more examples, including the head unit you're taking about:
http://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-cb...nstall-144436/
paleh0rse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
suicideking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,227
If you go with the Cobra 75 CB, you will free up space for a double din. It doesn't have a control box, everything is built into the mic. I have it, works great. Plus you can remove it in 10 seconds if you're going to leave the top down.

However, single DIN will be less expensive. Plus, if you don't want a NAV radio, don't really need double DIN.

I have been a car stereo nut for over 20 years and am a big fan of Alpine head units. That said, I went with a Kenwood NAV radio for my Jeep because it was around $300 less at the time. Kenwood is ok, but wish I had gone with the Alpine.

For my system, I went with a JL 4 channel amp for the mids and highs. JL separates for the front -- 6.5" mid with 1" tweeter in the stock locations. 6.5" Kenwood coaxials in the sound bar. Kicker 10" sub in the rear. Precision Power amp for the sub. The sub and amp were supposed to be temporary. The rest of the system came out of my last vehicle so I cheaped out on the sub an amp originally intending to eventually replace them. Of course, then I started modding the Jeep...

JL amp is under the passenger seat, sub amp is under the driver seat.
suicideking is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-22-2013, 12:04 AM   #27
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 4,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
You're taking about the Kenwood KIV-701 I used as the image on Facebook to show my jeep club the idea. That's the unit with the small screen and camera add-on. I'm actually thinking of going with the Alpine 149BT I listed above. Both are solid choices, but I think the Alpine would work better for me, personally, due to its more robust compatibility with Android smart phones. Unfortunately, I do lose the screen and camera option, though... I even did a mock-up today of what it would look like with the Alpine unit I'm considering: There's a great thread on jk-forum with a bunch more examples, including the head unit you're taking about: http://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-cb...nstall-144436/
Yep. It showed up on my feed when a friend shared it. Ain't the internet crazy? LOL

I looked up a couple of units and found a 1 din pioneer with a flip up 6" touchscreen. Has camera input, USB on back for iPod, Bluetooth for my iphone, and a detachable face. I'm kinda digging on it. Still need to research more though.
__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 240
I spoke with a car audio shop right after I got my JK, all non paper coned speakers will be just fine. Marine grade is really meant to resist salt water corrosion. If it's the same price, fine, but don't pay extra for it or settle on an inferior product.
ssteacher95 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #29
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 4,738
I like the Cobra model except that I'd like a PA output. As the CB I end up with likely won't be a perfect size for file the available space, I need to make sure I go w/ the right mounting kit.

I'm thinking of a mounting kit that put's the head unit up as high as possible and then just blocks off the lower area. This way I could trim out a spot in the lower area to fit whatever size CB I end up with. I could secure the CB to the head unit using metal bracing behind the scenes.

Anyone know of a mounting kit that fits this description? I just want to seal off the area as much as possible to keep dust out, so gaps aren't a good thing.
__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #30
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
paleh0rse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmanvarn View Post
I like the Cobra model except that I'd like a PA output. As the CB I end up with likely won't be a perfect size for file the available space, I need to make sure I go w/ the right mounting kit.

I'm thinking of a mounting kit that put's the head unit up as high as possible and then just blocks off the lower area. This way I could trim out a spot in the lower area to fit whatever size CB I end up with. I could secure the CB to the head unit using metal bracing behind the scenes.

Anyone know of a mounting kit that fits this description? I just want to seal off the area as much as possible to keep dust out, so gaps aren't a good thing.
The standard METRA mounting kit for putting single DIN units in the double DIN location does exactly what you describe -- it converts the lower half to a storage space.

paleh0rse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC