2014 Rubicon brake noise - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-16-2014, 12:01 AM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
2014 Rubicon brake noise

Hi,
Daughter bought a 14 Rubicon with all the bells and whistles. Only has about 3k on it and been in the shop for brakes twice. They tell her all sorts of stories (she's not stepping on the brakes hard enough, it's just settling in, etc). Anyone out there with a similar issue or should I call dealership. Seems like a 35k vehicle would not have noisy brakes.
Any input really appreciated.
thanks

JPWrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2014, 12:29 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
terrabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 318
Stock tires and wheels? Might take a while before they're worn in proper but I wouldn't think it'd be all that noticeable unless she's turning 35s+. The stock brakes become less effective with larger tires.

terrabit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
tx2whlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 173
Define "noisy brakes" , my 2014 JKUR makes a binding kinda sound at very low speeds like pulling in or out of the garage but are quiet when applied at speed. Now the braking distance that's another story but, I think normal for this vehicle. There's defiantly a learning curve coming from pretty much any vehicle on the planet other than maybe a 1965 VW Beatle.
__________________
Ordered 3/22 Billet JKUR, Auto, Connectivity, 4.10 gears, Painted top and Painted fenders.
tx2whlr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenix, Rattlesnake Country
Posts: 3,250
^^^ My 2013 JKR, also does this, but only, backing out of the garage!
__________________
Wranglers are mean machines....

Remember in life, the only dumb question, is the question not asked!
Old Dogger is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,585
Images: 1
Are you sure that it's not the noise coming from Hill Start Assist activating/deactivating? Can you be more specific regarding "noise" and when it's happening?
kik is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
tx2whlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPWrangler View Post
Hi, Daughter bought a 14 Rubicon with all the bells and whistles. Only has about 3k on it and been in the shop for brakes twice. They tell her all sorts of stories (she's not stepping on the brakes hard enough, it's just settling in, etc). Anyone out there with a similar issue or should I call dealership. Seems like a 35k vehicle would not have noisy brakes. Any input really appreciated. thanks
I'm a fairly big guy 6'2" 240 lbs and no matter how hard I mash on them it takes awhile to come to a complete stop from speed.
In the first week or so of ownership my wife and I both almost had several rear end collisions. We were used to the fantastic brakes of the FJ cruiser we had traded in.

We have two other cars and I always have to remind myself when I get in the jeep to give my self more time to stop.
I wouldn't even consider going to bigger DIA tires without a brake upgrade of some sort first.
__________________
Ordered 3/22 Billet JKUR, Auto, Connectivity, 4.10 gears, Painted top and Painted fenders.
tx2whlr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Freedom JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 528
My brakes make a sort of groaning noise when I back out of the driveway every morning. From what I have read, this is normal on our Jeeps.
Freedom JK is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenix, Rattlesnake Country
Posts: 3,250
My TJ had terrible braking capability, but it did have larger tires on it.
It was almost not safe for highway driving.

My 2013 JKR, has very good braking capability, but mine is a 2 door, less weight than the 4 door, (approx.. 400 lbs.). Plus I have the stock wheels and tires still on it.

As I already mentioned, the only noise that I get from the brakes, is when backing out of the garage, yes that groaning noise.
When applying the brakes going down the road, there is no noise!!!!!!!
__________________
Wranglers are mean machines....

Remember in life, the only dumb question, is the question not asked!
Old Dogger is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 216
Are the brakes just noisy or are the pads getting worn down as well? My JK used to make noises in reverse, only on hills until I disabled hill assist. Occasionally in the winter they still squeak just a little when first back out of my driveway, but nothing serious. I would try disabling hill start assist and see of that fixes it.
__________________
2014 Flame Red JK Rubicon
Rexenator is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom JK View Post
My brakes make a sort of groaning noise when I back out of the driveway every morning. From what I have read, this is normal on our Jeeps.
Have you ever checked for flash rusting of the rotors? Some vehicle rotors, depending on where you live can flash rust pretty fast especially in areas near the ocean, or from dampness. They will "groan" when backing up first thing in the morning, until the flash rust comes off from braking action. That can be the reason for a lot of "first thing in the morning" braking noise complaints.
demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
terrabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 318
Wanna see some bad brakes? Drive my 68' CJ. Everything about that old jeep sucked but damn, it sure was fun to drive. I came to my 13' jkur by way of a lifted 06' Tacoma with 33" MTs. So I think it's fantastic, even with stock brakes on 35s.
terrabit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2014, 09:20 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Boss 302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Putnam County, NY
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx2whlr View Post
I'm a fairly big guy 6'2" 240 lbs and no matter how hard I mash on them it takes awhile to come to a complete stop from speed.
In the first week or so of ownership my wife and I both almost had several rear end collisions. We were used to the fantastic brakes of the FJ cruiser we had traded in.

We have two other cars and I always have to remind myself when I get in the jeep to give my self more time to stop.
I wouldn't even consider going to bigger DIA tires without a brake upgrade of some sort first.
This doesn't make a lot of sense, eg the comparison to the FJ. I have read head to head tests where they stop within a foot or two of eachother from 60. The brakes in my JKU work great and stop fast. You may have a brake issue.
Boss 302 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2014, 09:55 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
tx2whlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss 302 View Post
This doesn't make a lot of sense, eg the comparison to the FJ. I have read head to head tests where they stop within a foot or two of eachother from 60. The brakes in my JKU work great and stop fast. You may have a brake issue.
It's the ratio of pedal pressure to the amount of stopping force felt. The FJ has 4 piston front calipers, it required far less pedal force for similar stopping power.
There's nothing wrong with my Jk, every JKU I've driven feels this way, it's just fluid dynamics and physics. The Chrysler engineers decided to use the same brake system in the 2 and 4 Dr JK, when they probably should have upgraded them somewhat to handle the extra heft on the 4 Dr.
To the OP, if the JKU is her daily driver she'll get used to them eventually or she could upgrade the pads to a higher friction material for harder bite and less pedal effort.
__________________
Ordered 3/22 Billet JKUR, Auto, Connectivity, 4.10 gears, Painted top and Painted fenders.
tx2whlr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2014, 10:05 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
00Sebby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The mountains of East Tennessee
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx2whlr View Post
I'm a fairly big guy 6'2" 240 lbs and no matter how hard I mash on them it takes awhile to come to a complete stop from speed.
In the first week or so of ownership my wife and I both almost had several rear end collisions. We were used to the fantastic brakes of the FJ cruiser we had traded in.

We have two other cars and I always have to remind myself when I get in the jeep to give my self more time to stop.
I wouldn't even consider going to bigger DIA tires without a brake upgrade of some sort first.
You may want to get that checked out. Mine is a '12 JKUR with stock wheels/tires. If I get on my brakes very hard, it activates the ABS and stops very quickly. I've even had a couple of close calls at 70mph speeds and it pulls down quickly and confidently. Yeah, it's not a sports car but I don't have to make any special allowances in normal driving.
__________________
'12 JKUR, 3.6, AT, Crush, all options except leather, added Smitty Rock Armor steps.
Before this one... '00 XJ Cherokee Sport, '99 XJ Cherokee Classic, '98 TJ Wrangler, '97 TJ Wrangler, '91 FSJ Grand Wagoneer, '89 XJ Cherokee Laredo
00Sebby is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2014, 12:06 AM   #15
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
Wow, Thanks everybody!!
I listened today...I would call it "groaning"...only going from park to either drive or reverse at slow speed. They told her it was normal and it was the rotors "moving"....
I just put new rotors, calipers and pads on my 2500 Dodge diesel and there was no groaning before or after...
I will explore further..
JPWrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2014, 01:04 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
WatchThis!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: East Texas
Posts: 3,969
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPWrangler View Post
Wow, Thanks everybody!!
I listened today...I would call it "groaning"...only going from park to either drive or reverse at slow speed. They told her it was normal and it was the rotors "moving"....
I just put new rotors, calipers and pads on my 2500 Dodge diesel and there was no groaning before or after...
I will explore further..
Sounds perfectly normal to me. Its a sound that every vehicle will make if on a steep hill and easing off the breaks easy. Some just do it all the time.
__________________
I'm here to participate. I didnt come all this way just to watch.

My jeep's thread http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/che...st-111461.html
WatchThis! is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2014, 01:13 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
WatchThis!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: East Texas
Posts: 3,969
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx2whlr View Post
There's defiantly a learning curve coming from pretty much any vehicle on the planet other than maybe a 1965 VW Beatle.
Ever driven a pickup or a surban?

If you are almost rear ending folks because the brakes wont stop you fast enough one might say you have a habbit of following people way to close.
__________________
I'm here to participate. I didnt come all this way just to watch.

My jeep's thread http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/che...st-111461.html
WatchThis! is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2014, 06:57 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
tx2whlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchThis! View Post
Ever driven a pickup or a surban? If you are almost rear ending folks because the brakes wont stop you fast enough one might say you have a habbit of following people way to close.
Yeah I've driven all kinds of vehicles I'm not trying to say that the brakes are dangerous but, that the there may be a learning curve to the amount of pedal effort required to stop depending on what your used to driving.
Obviously the OP's daughter was used to driving a vehicle that required much less pedal pressure than her brand spanking new JKUR.
I'm trying to address the OP's concerns with " is this normal" while others seem to defend the mediocre braking performance as if they designed it.
__________________
Ordered 3/22 Billet JKUR, Auto, Connectivity, 4.10 gears, Painted top and Painted fenders.
tx2whlr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2014, 07:31 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
tx2whlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Sebby View Post
You may want to get that checked out. Mine is a '12 JKUR with stock wheels/tires. If I get on my brakes very hard, it activates the ABS and stops very quickly. I've even had a couple of close calls at 70mph speeds and it pulls down quickly and confidently. Yeah, it's not a sports car but I don't have to make any special allowances in normal driving.
Your right it's not a sports car or even a modern family sedan when it comes to braking performance. We adjusted to the brakes after a few weeks and now know what expect from them.
When we first got our JKUR we were both used to driving an FJ with 33 inch tires, it required less pedal pressure period.Our JKUR is not our daily driver we have two other vehicles and when I drive either of them after getting out of the JK I'm startled when I hit the brakes.
For the OP, what was your daughter driving before she bought the JKUR ? That may have more to do with the braking performance than any mechanical problem.
__________________
Ordered 3/22 Billet JKUR, Auto, Connectivity, 4.10 gears, Painted top and Painted fenders.
tx2whlr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #20
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx2whlr View Post
Yeah I've driven all kinds of vehicles I'm not trying to say that the brakes are dangerous but, that the there may be a learning curve to the amount of pedal effort required to stop depending on what your used to driving.
Obviously the OP's daughter was used to driving a vehicle that required much less pedal pressure than her brand spanking new JKUR.
I'm trying to address the OP's concerns with " is this normal" while others seem to defend the mediocre braking performance as if they designed it.
Not true...her "other" vehicle is a 03 Dodge Ram 3500 dually diesel 6 spd. She can drive anything forward or backwards with the best of them (boys included.
JPWrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #21
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 4,685
Mine does it as well. Even when backing out of a level garage. Perfectly normal. You're good to go OP.
__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2014, 10:41 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
tx2whlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 173
I just talked to three of my coworkers this morning that own 2012 + JK's, all of them said their brakes groan during low speed application.
Two of them are looking at the terraflex BB kit .
__________________
Ordered 3/22 Billet JKUR, Auto, Connectivity, 4.10 gears, Painted top and Painted fenders.
tx2whlr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2014, 10:48 AM   #23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 830
My brakes work great, thing stops easy and fast.. no noises that I've heard. Sounds like something is wrong.
mhicanders is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2014, 11:16 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
tx2whlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPWrangler View Post
Not true...her "other" vehicle is a 03 Dodge Ram 3500 dually diesel 6 spd. She can drive anything forward or backwards with the best of them (boys included.
I didn't mean to offend you/her, my apology, I'm on your side.

It sounds to me like they consider this condition normal for this vehicle, Dealerships usually take braking complaints very seriously and probably wouldn't let the vehicle leave the lot if they thought it wasn't performing up to spec.
The stock brake pad compound is probably very hard and a swap to a softer/performance compound pad may be what it takes to eliminate the noise and improve braking performance.
__________________
Ordered 3/22 Billet JKUR, Auto, Connectivity, 4.10 gears, Painted top and Painted fenders.
tx2whlr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #25
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
No apologies/no worries. I just wanted to clarify she's an experienced vehicle person and understands systems well..
JPWrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2014, 02:36 PM   #26
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5
I also have a 14 JKUR, 3.5" lift and 35x12.5x17's and had problems with noisy/squeaky brakes at slow speeds with low miles. After 4 trips to dealership, it was a bent rear axle. Have them check it out.
SMAC4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-09-2014, 06:49 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
Wingsnut72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 465
Has anyone checked the brake pads for lubricant? It might be that the stock bakes don't have a lubricant between the caliper and the pad.

Wingsnut72 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC