BLD with aftermarket LSD - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
young gunna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 44
BLD with aftermarket LSD

So i have been searching and haven't seen this answered directly, but will the BLD work with an aftermarket LSD? i'm a first time jeeper and i'm pretty sure that i don't have trac-lok so I'm looking into an aftermarket LSD. Also if anyone has any suggestions for something that won't break the bank i would appreciate the info. I'm not going to be doing any crazy off roading but want to do some.

Auburn Gear Part 5420110 - Dana 44 30 Spline 3.73 Down H/P Limited Slip - - 4 Wheel Parts

would this work just fine?

__________________
_______
/l ,[____],

l---L -OlllllllO-
())) ()))--o-)))
young gunna is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
young gunna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 44
anyone know anything about this?

__________________
_______
/l ,[____],

l---L -OlllllllO-
())) ()))--o-)))
young gunna is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
gorillahydrographics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 1,240
Its fine. The BLD is more computer than a Mechanical part.
__________________
2013 Billet Silver 2 Door Sport -TeraFlex Elite Long Arm with Rock Krawler 3.5" Triple Rate Coils- Yukon 5.13 Gears - Detroit Locker (front)Eaton "E" Locker(rear) - TeraFlex Flip Kit/high Steer - Currie HD Tie Rod - Smittybilt XRC Front MoD Bumper w/stinger and Crawler Conceptz Skinny Rear Bumper - XRC 9000LB winch - XRC Flat Fenders - Cooper Discovery MT 35x12.50x17 - Custom Urban Camo Grill -
gorillahydrographics is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
jeepnut67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tallahasee, FL
Posts: 58
I've seen some people run Truetracs front & rear. That's also a LSD. That's what I'm planning to do when I regear.
jeepnut67 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 242
Anybody got any experience with this auburn lsd? It's about half the price of the trutrac..
msubrave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 1,267
My JK came with an open diff in the rear but I swapped in an Auburn ECTED. When it's unlocked it's a limited slip. It works just fine both on and off road.
__________________
2012 JK - 3.6/NSG370/NP241/D30/D44 - Grimm Jeeper
1986 J10 - 360/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF - Truck Norris

My gear ratio calculator
derf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-02-2014, 10:52 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
young gunna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillahydrographics View Post
Its fine. The BLD is more computer than a Mechanical part.
the limited slip with the BLD or the auburn LSD?
__________________
_______
/l ,[____],

l---L -OlllllllO-
())) ()))--o-)))
young gunna is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-02-2014, 10:53 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
young gunna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
My JK came with an open diff in the rear but I swapped in an Auburn ECTED. When it's unlocked it's a limited slip. It works just fine both on and off road.
Does the BLD work aswell? I know i have been looking and people are saying the bld helps pickup any slack from the lsd.
__________________
_______
/l ,[____],

l---L -OlllllllO-
())) ()))--o-)))
young gunna is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by young gunna View Post
Does the BLD work aswell? I know i have been looking and people are saying the bld helps pickup any slack from the lsd.
It does work. I surprise people at how far I can get into an obstacle before I have to switch on the locker.
__________________
2012 JK - 3.6/NSG370/NP241/D30/D44 - Grimm Jeeper
1986 J10 - 360/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF - Truck Norris

My gear ratio calculator
derf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
gorillahydrographics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by young gunna View Post
the limited slip with the BLD or the auburn LSD?

The BLD that is standard on our JKs. Its a computer driven function.

Once you install LSD or a locker, anytime your off road with the locker engaged or with LSD, I am guessing the BLD function wont even come in to play anymore and whatever you have installed takes over.
__________________
2013 Billet Silver 2 Door Sport -TeraFlex Elite Long Arm with Rock Krawler 3.5" Triple Rate Coils- Yukon 5.13 Gears - Detroit Locker (front)Eaton "E" Locker(rear) - TeraFlex Flip Kit/high Steer - Currie HD Tie Rod - Smittybilt XRC Front MoD Bumper w/stinger and Crawler Conceptz Skinny Rear Bumper - XRC 9000LB winch - XRC Flat Fenders - Cooper Discovery MT 35x12.50x17 - Custom Urban Camo Grill -
gorillahydrographics is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
young gunna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 44
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm just trying to figure everything out since i've never owned a jeep and want to make sure of things before i invest money to go off road.

and yeah i know its a computer function, i just wanted to make sure it would pick up any slack if there is any
__________________
_______
/l ,[____],

l---L -OlllllllO-
())) ()))--o-)))
young gunna is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
gorillahydrographics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by young gunna View Post
and yeah i know its a computer function, i just wanted to make sure it would pick up any slack if there is any
I cant say for sure, maybe with a LSD? But with a Locker that's going to trump the BLD.

The locker is far superior to the BLD.
__________________
2013 Billet Silver 2 Door Sport -TeraFlex Elite Long Arm with Rock Krawler 3.5" Triple Rate Coils- Yukon 5.13 Gears - Detroit Locker (front)Eaton "E" Locker(rear) - TeraFlex Flip Kit/high Steer - Currie HD Tie Rod - Smittybilt XRC Front MoD Bumper w/stinger and Crawler Conceptz Skinny Rear Bumper - XRC 9000LB winch - XRC Flat Fenders - Cooper Discovery MT 35x12.50x17 - Custom Urban Camo Grill -
gorillahydrographics is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 1,267
To simplify: BLD helps. BLD with LSD helps more. BLD, with an LSD or not, will never give you as much traction as a full locker.

A Jeep that sees daily driving with some mild to moderate trail riding will certainly benefit from an LSD combined with the BLD. But once you start hitting the really hard trails the LSD will leave you stuck (even with BLD) where a locker will get you through.
__________________
2012 JK - 3.6/NSG370/NP241/D30/D44 - Grimm Jeeper
1986 J10 - 360/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF - Truck Norris

My gear ratio calculator
derf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
eric0326981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: between nashville and chatanooga
Posts: 173
stupid question wat is bld and lsd stand for
eric0326981 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #15
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,719
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
To simplify: BLD helps. BLD with LSD helps more. BLD, with an LSD or not, will never give you as much traction as a full locker.

A Jeep that sees daily driving with some mild to moderate trail riding will certainly benefit from an LSD combined with the BLD. But once you start hitting the really hard trails the LSD will leave you stuck (even with BLD) where a locker will get you through.
^This...
I mall crawl and hit occasional light trails. LSD + BLD is perfect for me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by eric0326981 View Post
stupid question wat is bld and lsd stand for
BLD = Brake lock differential
LSD = Limited slip differentia


BLD is simply the the off road programming version of your traction control.
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
young gunna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
To simplify: BLD helps. BLD with LSD helps more. BLD, with an LSD or not, will never give you as much traction as a full locker.

A Jeep that sees daily driving with some mild to moderate trail riding will certainly benefit from an LSD combined with the BLD. But once you start hitting the really hard trails the LSD will leave you stuck (even with BLD) where a locker will get you through.
It's my DD at this point so i'm not going to really hit any hard trails right now, plus there isn't anything really crazy in ohio that i know of. Appreciate the info, any LSD's i should look into specifically? should i try and put in the front and rear lsd at the same time or will just the rear serve me pretty well?
young gunna is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by young gunna View Post
It's my DD at this point so i'm not going to really hit any hard trails right now, plus there isn't anything really crazy in ohio that i know of. Appreciate the info, any LSD's i should look into specifically? should i try and put in the front and rear lsd at the same time or will just the rear serve me pretty well?
Putting in new differentials is expensive. It's something you only want to do once.

If you think you'll ever want to change your tire size, you should consider waiting until you're ready because you're going to want to change your differential gears at the same time. By doing the gears and the limited slip/locker at the same time you save a ton of money on labor. And it lets you save up the money to get what you really want instead of having to compromise.


I haven't really done any research on limited slips. I knew from the get go that I was going to go straight to selectable lockers in mine. I'm sure other people who are smarter than me can offer advice on which limited slip is the best for you.

I will say that there isn't really much for good off road trails here in Iowa besides a few washed out gullies here and there. Still, I can find myself in situations where I need to turn on my locker to get the traction I need just to get through.

Honestly, I would recommend just driving your Jeep stock as it is for a while. Take it out on trails that you want to drive. Learn how well it does now. Spend some time figuring out how stuck you get. Nothing develops driving skill like trying to make it up and over an obstacle in a stock Jeep. Go with people who have various combinations of limited slip and lockers and see where they go and how well they do on the trails that you will be driving. That will give you the best idea of what you really want to do with your Jeep to make it do what you want to do. I know that for the type of driving I do both on and off road, the limited slip wasn't going to be enough. But I only figured that out for myself after spending quite a bit of time in a stock Jeep learning what I wanted to but couldn't with what I had and what other people could.
__________________
2012 JK - 3.6/NSG370/NP241/D30/D44 - Grimm Jeeper
1986 J10 - 360/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF - Truck Norris

My gear ratio calculator
derf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
young gunna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Putting in new differentials is expensive. It's something you only want to do once.

If you think you'll ever want to change your tire size, you should consider waiting until you're ready because you're going to want to change your differential gears at the same time. By doing the gears and the limited slip/locker at the same time you save a ton of money on labor. And it lets you save up the money to get what you really want instead of having to compromise.


I haven't really done any research on limited slips. I knew from the get go that I was going to go straight to selectable lockers in mine. I'm sure other people who are smarter than me can offer advice on which limited slip is the best for you.

I will say that there isn't really much for good off road trails here in Iowa besides a few washed out gullies here and there. Still, I can find myself in situations where I need to turn on my locker to get the traction I need just to get through.

Honestly, I would recommend just driving your Jeep stock as it is for a while. Take it out on trails that you want to drive. Learn how well it does now. Spend some time figuring out how stuck you get. Nothing develops driving skill like trying to make it up and over an obstacle in a stock Jeep. Go with people who have various combinations of limited slip and lockers and see where they go and how well they do on the trails that you will be driving. That will give you the best idea of what you really want to do with your Jeep to make it do what you want to do. I know that for the type of driving I do both on and off road, the limited slip wasn't going to be enough. But I only figured that out for myself after spending quite a bit of time in a stock Jeep learning what I wanted to but couldn't with what I had and what other people could.
Thanks for the advice! As for labor portion, i don't have to worry. Have my lift, all the tools and know how to change everything out. Just not the experience in the jeep world. and yeah it seems like there isn't a ton of places in Ohio unless i want to travel 4 plus hours except.
__________________
_______
/l ,[____],

l---L -OlllllllO-
())) ()))--o-)))
young gunna is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-07-2014, 10:05 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Chelan County, Washington
Posts: 256
Ran the Auburn cone-type limited slip in the rear diff of my old Chevy Blazer for about 12 years. It was impressive.

Just had Rockridge 4wd, a vendor here, install a Yukon Dura Grip limited slip in the rear Dana 44 of my 2012 JK.

It too is impressive. Excellent performance on rough, rocky roads. Lots of bite. The rear tires don't even get a chance to start spinning.

The only caution, particularly with these more aggressive aftermarket limited slips, is that they can induce some interesting handling quirks, particularly on slick surfaces like ice and snow. I happen to like the way a vehicle handles when using a limited slip, but it can catch people by surprise when the rear end fishtails sometimes, or tends to walk towards the low edge of a snow covered road.

I like the standard Jeep "BLD" function, it does work well. When coupled with a limited slip, it works even better.

Link to my recent post "initial impressions" Yukon Dura Grip and 4.10's, initial impression

Regards, CW

Cascade Wanderer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC