Break In Question. - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 43
Break In Question.

(I was reading another thread and came across a comment that sparked a question. Rather than hi-jack that thread I thought it best to present the question here.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Shaker View Post
The owners manual says a long break in is not required.

Drive moderately during the first 300 miles, after the initial 60 miles speeds up to 50 or 55 are desireable.
Brief full throttle acceleration contributes to a good break in. Wide open in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.
Oil consumption during the first few thousand miles should considered normal.

I think I'll follow that advise.
Are you saying there is a downside if in the first 3000 miles of engine use you never get the RPMs above 3,500? Please verify and expound on this.

Thanks.


Jeep_singer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #2
Tire Expert

WF Supporting Member
 
TurkTTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Bend, IN
Posts: 336
Good question, I am actually wondering this myself, even though I just hit 3500 miles this week... I wonder if I revved it over 3,500RPM in the first 300mi, and I wonder if I did, what the detriment is?

__________________
2014 JK Rubicon
ANVIL
2 Doors, 3 pedals, soft top

Build thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/tu...ml#post7091657
TurkTTR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW WA
Posts: 877
Where's this 3,500 RPM number coming from?

Going over 3,500 rpm isn't going to hurt anything. Wouldn't bounce it off the rev limiter brand new but driving too gently is almost worse than driving it hard.

Staying at steady low rpm for long periods during break in is what they really want you to avoid.

The brief full throttle acceleration puts load (high pressure) on the piston rings and helps them seat against the crosshatching on the cylinder walls.
Creates a better seal as the rings and cylinder walls smooth out and mesh together.
TrueNorth is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #4
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,148
It would probably be better if you read the actual words in the manual. It's 500 miles not 300 and no mention of 3500 RPM.
ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and
drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 500 miles (800 km).
After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or
55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided. Trailer tow is not recommended
during break in period.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
baxterpass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
<snip> The brief full throttle acceleration puts load (high pressure) on the piston rings and helps them seat against the crosshatching on the cylinder walls.
Creates a better seal as the rings and cylinder walls smooth out and mesh together.
Exactly.

I've also read in rebuilding manuals (many years ago) that brief open throttle early in the break-in, followed by closed throttle deceleration (mild engine breaking) will help seat new rings. Same reason; engine load. This may not be a huge issue with modern engines, but it can't help to baby them too much.

Any thoughts from the engineers out there would be most welcome!
__________________
Daily ride: 2008 Ural 2wd ‘Cossack’; '94 R100GS PD (pre-dog)
Jeep: 2014 JKU, 6-spd, Trac-Loc 3.73, 235/80x17 LTX AT2, Dune w/ Khaki Mopar soft top
RIP: '06 Jeep TJ, '99 Range Rover 4.6, '76 Wagoneer, '68 LR Series IIA 109, '66 Ser IIA 88
De oppresso liber
baxterpass is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
It would probably be better if you read the actual words in the manual. It's 500 miles not 300 and no mention of 3500 RPM.
ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and
drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 500 miles (800 km).
After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or
55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided. Trailer tow is not recommended
during break in period.
Correct, and brief full throttle acceleration is going to take you over 3,500 rpms too.
demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint View Post
Correct, and brief full throttle acceleration is going to take you over 3,500 rpms too.
*AND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
Where's this 3,500 RPM number coming from?

... Staying at steady low rpm for long periods during break in is what they really want you to avoid. (...)
So, even though the 3,500 rpm was a representative figure I created to make the discussion easier, the answer to my question seems to be "yes": if in the first 3000 miles you never get the throttle busting at 4,000 ... 5,000 ... 5,500 ... you are (if not damaging the engine) definitely NOT giving the engine the best breakin exercises that it needs. Further, keeping the rpms concentrated in the 1,500 - 3,000 band can (in some unknown way) shorten the engine's lifespan.

Right?
Jeep_singer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #8
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Mcrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_singer View Post
*AND* So, even though the 3,500 rpm was a representative figure I created to make the discussion easier, the answer to my question seems to be "yes": if in the first 3000 miles you never get the throttle busting at 4,000 ... 5,000 ... 5,500 ... you are (if not damaging the engine) definitely NOT giving the engine the best breakin exercises that it needs. Further, keeping the rpms concentrated in the 1,500 - 3,000 band can (in some unknown way) shorten the engine's lifespan. Right?
We're did you come up with 3000 miles? Why is that significant if manual states 500
__________________
'85CJ, '92YJ, '00 TJ, '08 JK, '13 JK, '17 ??
Mcrock is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Smokinjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: InyoKern, CA
Posts: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrock View Post
We're did you come up with 3000 miles? Why is that significant if manual states 500
Of all the vehicles I have ever owned, I have never babied any one of them and never had any issues .
Smokinjoe is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 05:13 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
spinlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 37.9° N, 121.7° W
Posts: 3,007
Just use your common sense. Despite of some claims, engines are not fully broken in at the factory. Today's engines have much better tolerances than in the past but rings, bearings and guides all have to break in. Five hundred miles translate roughly to 10-15 million cycles for the crankshaft, piston, valves, lifters camshaft, etc to get well seated in their housing and go through some heating cycles. It's OK to run up the RPM slightly every now and then but it's better to take it easy. If you only keep your vehicle for 75K miles you may never notice the difference but if you still own it after 150K miles or more it may matter.
__________________
"A man has got to know his limitations."
H. Callahan
spinlock is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 372
Bottom line: Don't red-line the motor until broken in and more importantly, don't run for long periods of time at the same rpm until broken in.
Xena1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #12
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xena1 View Post
Bottom line: Don't red-line the motor until broken in and more importantly, don't run for long periods of time at the same rpm until broken in.
Bingo!
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 77
Owners manuel is pretty straight forward on Break in. Follow what the manuel says to do not a lot more thought needs to be put into it. After that drive the Jeep how you normaly drive. Have followed owner manuels recomendations on every car I have owned and never had an issue after the fact.

Cheers,
Bill G77
Bill G77 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2014, 05:43 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Salt Shaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 85
Ah...my users manual (page 23) under engine break in says 300 miles. 500 km.

It also says brief full throttle acceleration contributes to good break in and wot in low gears can be detrimental.

Where are you guys getting your numbers from?
Salt Shaker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2014, 06:09 AM   #15
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
michiganadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Niles, MI
Posts: 2,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Shaker View Post
Ah...my users manual (page 23) under engine break in says 300 miles. 500 km.

It also says brief full throttle acceleration contributes to good break in and wot in low gears can be detrimental.

Where are you guys getting your numbers from?
Just read your manual and form your own opinions.

These people have formed their own opinions and may be right or wrong. We all have the choice to listen to those guys or not. In 10 years we MIGHT know who was "right". But chances are none of you guys will still have your jeep when the engine wears out.

There's a reason the break-in reccomended is so short. It's because the engine was broken in most of the way on a work bench, hooked up to an electric motor to spin it at very specific RPMs in a way that would never happen in a running engine, and then the oil was dumped and replaced with clean oil.
__________________
Everytime i have ever posted, its always bull that comes out of me
michiganadam is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2014, 06:32 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinjoe View Post
Of all the vehicles I have ever owned, I have never babied any one of them and never had any issues .
Same here. I make it a point to never beat on a cold engine either.
demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2014, 06:38 AM   #17
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Shaker View Post
Ah...my users manual (page 23) under engine break in says 300 miles. 500 km.

It also says brief full throttle acceleration contributes to good break in and wot in low gears can be detrimental.

Where are you guys getting your numbers from?
What I posted came directly from the 2014 Owner's Manual. I don't know why the user guide would be different. You can read the full OM on your DVD or download it from www.jeep.com.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2014, 06:42 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganadam View Post

There's a reason the break-in reccomended is so short. It's because the engine was broken in most of the way on a work bench, hooked up to an electric motor to spin it at very specific RPMs in a way that would never happen in a running engine, and then the oil was dumped and replaced with clean oil.
Do you have a link to companies that do that? Is what you're saying the engine is assembled, filled with oil, and the initial run in is on a machine? Then they change that oil with fresh oil, and install the engine in the vehicle? Thanks. If so I never heard of that.
demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2014, 07:07 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Salt Shaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
What I posted came directly from the 2014 Owner's Manual. I don't know why the user guide would be different. You can read the full OM on your DVD or download it from www.jeep.com.
Interesting,

I downloaded the 2014 users manual last week and page 98 states 300 miles in mine. The only reason I initially posted was because information and numbers folks were posting was not what the recommended procedures were.

They must have changed it from 500 to 300.

Garry
Salt Shaker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2014, 07:08 AM   #20
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Mcrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
What I posted came directly from the 2014 Owner's Manual. I don't know why the user guide would be different. You can read the full OM on your DVD or download it from www.jeep.com.
^ this. And the 2013 owners manual is word for word identical. Toss that quick guide in the trash
BTW-my salesman reviewed this with me before I left the lot. I think I was beyond the 500 mi break in by day two of ownership!
__________________
'85CJ, '92YJ, '00 TJ, '08 JK, '13 JK, '17 ??
Mcrock is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2014, 07:17 AM   #21
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Shaker View Post
Interesting,

I downloaded the 2014 users manual last week and page 98 states 300 miles in mine. The only reason I initially posted was because information and numbers folks were posting was not what the recommended procedures were.

They must have changed it from 500 to 300.

Garry
I have no idea what you are looking at, but it has never changed. The 14 break in procedure is exactly the same in my 09 manual.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2014, 07:20 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Salt Shaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 85
Guys,

I am not trying to be a dick. Nor am I some novice pinhead. I am simply stating what the 2014 user manual and owners manual states.

I downloaded it from the jeep website. It appears that they (jeep) have changed the numbers.

Garry
Salt Shaker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
RoadiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Shaker View Post
Guys,

I am not trying to be a dick. Nor am I some novice pinhead. I am simply stating what the 2014 user manual and owners manual states.

I downloaded it from the jeep website. It appears that they (jeep) have changed the numbers.

Garry
Hmm...you're right. I just downloaded the 2014 owners manual. I compared it with the 2013 owners manual that I already had from a previous download. Here is what they say.

Pg. 98 of the 2014 owners manual:

Quote:
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km).
After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or
55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
Pg. 98 of the 2013 owners manual:

Quote:
Drive moderately during the first 500 miles (800 km).
After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or
55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
DOWNLOAD A RECENT OWNER'S MANUAL FOR FREE
RoadiJeff is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
MoeBigs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 60
Subscribe
__________________
2014 JK Sport 6 speed 3.73
KCCO
MoeBigs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
Kevlars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganadam View Post
Just read your manual and form your own opinions. These people have formed their own opinions and may be right or wrong. We all have the choice to listen to those guys or not. In 10 years we MIGHT know who was "right". But chances are none of you guys will still have your jeep when the engine wears out. There's a reason the break-in reccomended is so short. It's because the engine was broken in most of the way on a work bench, hooked up to an electric motor to spin it at very specific RPMs in a way that would never happen in a running engine, and then the oil was dumped and replaced with clean oil.

Actually, the engine is never "broken in" it is initiated to make sure that all the components work and that proper hp is reached. Breaking in involves slow acceleration and the polishing of metal surfaces to obtain proper clearance. Multiple oil changes to remove metal shavings....etc. modern engines do not require that as the tolerances and precision of the parts made to to such a high quality it is no longer needed.

Just like modern firearms..there is no such thing as breaking in the barrel....

I am not saying you should just put the peddle down and go off the lot. Just drive it normally. All my vehicles have made it well over 100k with no serious issues.


Cheers !!

__________________
------------------------------------------------------------
JKUR 2013,Teraflex 3 inch Lift,Teraflex Full 8 adj. arms
Elka Springs,Teraflex Front Monster Track bar,AEV Heat Reduction Hood,AEV Snorkel,SY-Clone Pre-Filter, AEV Front and Rear bumpers, Warn Zeon 10-S Winch, BFG 35 inch tires.
Kevlars is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC