Driveshaft - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Schwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: tulsa, ok
Posts: 695
Driveshaft

Jk 2dr here, i recently installed 3 1/4 inches of lift and my flange is leaking on my transfer case side.. This is a problem for me.. Ha, do i need to replace the shaft completely? Are there any modifications i can do to extend the life? I knew there would be a problem with this. I just did not expect it to soon

Schwheelz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Uh-oh.

Tell me that you haven't missed the fatal angle Tom Woods article that Daggo posts like 12 times a week . . . .

I haven't heard of any good temporary fixes, though hopefully there are some. Is your 2 door an automatic?

__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Schwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: tulsa, ok
Posts: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH
Uh-oh.

Tell me that you haven't missed the fatal angle Tom Woods article that Daggo posts like 12 times a week . . . .

I haven't heard of any good temporary fixes, though hopefully there are some. Is your 2 door an automatic?
No its not its a manual transmission, why does that matter?
Schwheelz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwheelz
No its not its a manual transmission, why does that matter?
As I recall, the autos have a worse time with this issue than the manuals. Something about the way the angles work out. So at least you've got that going for you.

Hopefully someone will have something helpful for you. Is it even safe to drive? No grease = Lots of heat. It's bad news if the thing burns out on the highway.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Schwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: tulsa, ok
Posts: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH

As I recall, the autos have a worse time with this issue than the manuals. Something about the way the angles work out. So at least you've got that going for you.

Hopefully someone will have something helpful for you. Is it even safe to drive? No grease = Lots of heat. It's bad news if the thing burns out on the highway.
It is safe to drive because the seal isnt broken which is awkward.. But you can tell there is a leak, im just planning on taking my grease gun and keep filling it up till i can buy a new shaft
Schwheelz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2011, 12:09 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwheelz View Post
Jk 2dr here, i recently installed 3 1/4 inches of lift and my flange is leaking on my transfer case side.. This is a problem for me.. Ha, do i need to replace the shaft completely? Are there any modifications i can do to extend the life? I knew there would be a problem with this. I just did not expect it to soon
As an option, years ago, in my Jeep VEX, the 1983 CJ-7, I had dialed it up to 1 ton status and so doing went to a junk yard for my DLs.

I got both front and rear from a wrecked 1 ton Ford F-350. I used both, front and rear with the new yokes to accommodate the Dana 300 TC. They have CV joints in the TC side of each. Makes for a very smooth ride and they are virtually indestructible. I took it to a DL shop and had them cut them to fit. With 7" of lift they work very well.

Just an idea, but it DOES work. The heaviest the better is the rule.

Robert
Robert_Stephens is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2011, 07:06 AM   #7
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
Uh-oh.

Tell me that you haven't missed the fatal angle Tom Woods article that Daggo posts like 12 times a week . . . .

I haven't heard of any good temporary fixes, though hopefully there are some. Is your 2 door an automatic?

13 now. Fatal Angle Tom Woods JK Wrangler Driveshafts - Jp Magazine
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Schwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: tulsa, ok
Posts: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Stephens

As an option, years ago, in my Jeep VEX, the 1983 CJ-7, I had dialed it up to 1 ton status and so doing went to a junk yard for my DLs.

I got both front and rear from a wrecked 1 ton Ford F-350. I used both, front and rear with the new yokes to accommodate the Dana 300 TC. They have CV joints in the TC side of each. Makes for a very smooth ride and they are virtually indestructible. I took it to a DL shop and had them cut them to fit. With 7" of lift they work very well.

Just an idea, but it DOES work. The heaviest the better is the rule.

Robert
How do you know which one to grab?

Schwheelz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driveshaft Abomination93 YJ Tech Forum 3 01-27-2011 09:38 PM
Beefed the rear driveshaft up Jerry Bransford TJ General Discussion Forum 12 11-09-2010 09:42 AM
YJ SYE using XJ front driveshaft. . .XJ shaft refurb??? atomicjoe23 YJ Tech Forum 16 06-15-2009 08:43 AM
Rear CV Driveshaft Alternatives ??? nicolas-eric TJ Tech Forum 8 10-14-2008 01:08 PM
Rear Driveshaft Options ? nicolas-eric TJ General Discussion Forum 4 09-15-2008 05:57 AM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC