Electronic roll mitigation bypass - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
Newb
 
Cash_097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 13
Electronic roll mitigation bypass

How do you disable electronic roll mitigation on a 2012 JK?. It's impossible to have in the snow. Want my 97 back.

Cash_097 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Txrdstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 854
What is it?

Txrdstr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
Newb
 
Cash_097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txrdstr View Post
What is it?
I think that is what it's called, but it cuts your steering ability when going into a slide, or trying to do a doughnut in the snow.
Cash_097 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
MSpiegel00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 374
Press and hold the ESC button for five seconds until it dings, no?
MSpiegel00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Txrdstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 854
ESC , electronic stability control. Little button bottom center dash, push hold for a few seconds. It's in the owners manual.
Txrdstr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #6
Newb
 
Cash_097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txrdstr View Post
ESC , electronic stability control. Little button bottom center dash, push hold for a few seconds. It's in the owners manual.
Will do. Thanks
Cash_097 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2014, 08:03 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Scott2373's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Williamson, NY
Posts: 1,203
Cuts your steering ability? That's a new one...how does that work, exactly?
__________________
2013 Sport in Commando Green
3.73 Gears, A/C, 6-Speed
/_|o[___]o
[I---L-OllllllO
-
()_)()_)=°°=)_)
MOLON LABE
Scott2373 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2014, 09:05 PM   #8
Newb
 
Cash_097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2373 View Post
Cuts your steering ability? That's a new one...how does that work, exactly?
It disables your steering wheel intermittently when trying to do a doughnut in the snow.
Cash_097 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2014, 10:55 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
TerryC6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Everett, Wa
Posts: 370
Stability control and roll mitigation function by applying brakes to individual wheels to correct the slide or roll.
TerryC6 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2014, 12:29 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeastern, Pa
Posts: 187
getoffmyleg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2014, 12:33 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
mckey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Scappoose
Posts: 10,593
You will never be able to completely shut it off.

Abs\esp\bas.. Off mod,with pictures.
__________________
“Animals don't hate, and we're supposed to be better than them.”

-Elvis Presley
mckey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2014, 06:52 AM   #12
Newb
 
Cash_097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 13
Just tried the bypass switch setup and it works great! Thanks for everyone's help.
Cash_097 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2014, 07:19 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by getoffmyleg View Post
Does this work with 2014's too? Thanks!
Xena1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #14
Newb
 
Cash_097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xena1 View Post
Does this work with 2014's too? Thanks!
Mines a 2012. Not sure on a 2014.
Cash_097 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-26-2014, 02:11 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 392
After you turned it off, does the "off" light stay on? What happens when you push the "off" button, and lastly, does it come on in 4L?
Xena1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-26-2014, 08:42 PM   #16
Newb
 
Cash_097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 13
Abs & traction control light stay on.
Bypass switch (one I installed) open or on - allows the driver to have control of the jeep, like the earlier models 97 etc.
Switch in the closed or off position returns it back to factory - no lights laminated. Haven't tried it in 4L.
Cash_097 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-26-2014, 08:49 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
mckey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Scappoose
Posts: 10,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash_097 View Post
Mines a 2012. Not sure on a 2014.
I know 13's are just the same, not sure if anything changed for '14 or not. I guess you could pull the center console and cut the appropriate wire to see if it works. If it doesn't just splice it back together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash_097 View Post
Abs & traction control light stay on.
Bypass switch (one I installed) open or on - allows the driver to have control of the jeep, like the earlier models 97 etc.
Switch in the closed or off position returns it back to factory - no lights laminated. Haven't tried it in 4L.
It works the same in 4L. Once you flip the switch you installed it won't go back to normal until you flip the switch again and cycle the ignition.
__________________
“Animals don't hate, and we're supposed to be better than them.”

-Elvis Presley
mckey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #18
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Sueby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,769
Any of you guys that have done the bypass switch on the newer Jeeps (12+) have an automatic? I want to do this but from all I've read on an auto it will put the jeep in limp mode but it works fine on a stick.
Sueby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
relyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sidney, OH
Posts: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash_097 View Post
It disables your steering wheel intermittently when trying to do a doughnut in the snow.
Just to clarify, this is not correct. The steering is a 100% mechanical connection from the steering wheel to the wheels themselves. The ESC works by firing the brakes at individual wheels in an attempt to stop a slide. It is an uncomfortable feeling, but it is actually very effective. That said, if you're trying to drift around parking lots or do donuts, you'll want to turn the system off by holding the traction control button for 7 seconds. The system should remain off until the ignition is cycled, and will need to be disabled again if desired.
relyt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 07:43 PM   #20
Newb
 
Cash_097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueby View Post
Any of you guys that have done the bypass switch on the newer Jeeps (12+) have an automatic? I want to do this but from all I've read on an auto it will put the jeep in limp mode but it works fine on a stick.
Mine is an automatic. Didn't seem to slow it down any, but I only use it when playing in the snow. I tried the 7 second trick but no luck. Maybe I didn't do something correct.
Cash_097 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 158
I have a 2014. I can turn it off in 4hi by holding the button down for several seconds but only when at a stop. You cannot disable it while moving. Once disabled you may proceed to drive with traction control and stability control disabled. I used it this way other this past weekend while wheeling seasonal roads with over three foot of snow.
4lo it is automatically disabled.
2trackin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 08:39 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
mckey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Scappoose
Posts: 10,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by relyt View Post

Just to clarify, this is not correct. The steering is a 100% mechanical connection from the steering wheel to the wheels themselves. The ESC works by firing the brakes at individual wheels in an attempt to stop a slide. It is an uncomfortable feeling, but it is actually very effective. That said, if you're trying to drift around parking lots or do donuts, you'll want to turn the system off by holding the traction control button for 7 seconds. The system should remain off until the ignition is cycled, and will need to be disabled again if desired.
Holding it down for seven seconds will disable all but three of the parameters monitored by the esc system. To completely disable it you have to disable the accelerometer like the link above describes. Those same 3 things are still active in 4 lo, so it's not totally disabled in this situation either.

This should have no effect on your transmission, it won't put it in limp mode. The esc system on these vehicles is horrible, especially if you are on anything other than dry pavement.
__________________
“Animals don't hate, and we're supposed to be better than them.”

-Elvis Presley
mckey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 10:53 PM   #23
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Sueby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckey73 View Post
Holding it down for seven seconds will disable all but three of the parameters monitored by the esc system. To completely disable it you have to disable the accelerometer like the link above describes. Those same 3 things are still active in 4 lo, so it's not totally disabled in this situation either. This should have no effect on your transmission, it won't put it in limp mode. The esc system on these vehicles is horrible, especially if you are on anything other than dry pavement.
No offense, but how do you know that? Are you just guessing or have you seen it done? I did a ton of reading after my Jeep freaked out one day climbing a big ass rock in 4L & almost killed me (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration!) & all I could find was it works great on a stick but not on an auto.

Numerous threads like this one all over the place: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/e...ation-1431350/

http://www.jkfreaks.com/forums/archi...hp/t-7749.html
Sueby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 11:00 PM   #24
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Sueby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash_097 View Post
Mine is an automatic. Didn't seem to slow it down any, but I only use it when playing in the snow. I tried the 7 second trick but no luck. Maybe I didn't do something correct.
So you installed the bypass switch on your auto & it works - like flip the switch & all the lights on the dash light up and everything & no nannies kick in? No abs, no hill descent, no nothing?? That would be awesome.
Sueby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-28-2014, 05:58 AM   #25
Newb
 
Cash_097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 13
The hill decent light flashes a few times then goes out. The abs & traction light stay on. 2012 JKS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1366905052.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	709977
Cash_097 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-28-2014, 09:06 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
mckey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Scappoose
Posts: 10,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash_097 View Post
The hill decent light flashes a few times then goes out. The abs & traction light stay on. 2012 JKS.
So you can drive it to work like that with no issues?
__________________
“Animals don't hate, and we're supposed to be better than them.”

-Elvis Presley
mckey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-28-2014, 04:20 PM   #27
Newb
 
Cash_097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 13
No cruise control, but it's hard to cruse on bad roads. Main thing is I have control of the jeep again. About 7 miles from work with no problems so far.
Cash_097 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #28
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Sueby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,769
Sweet! Thanks for testing it out & updating. I only want it for off road so I'm not worried about no cruise or anything like that - I just want the nannies 100% off off road.
Sueby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-28-2014, 06:57 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
spinlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 37.9° N, 121.7° W
Posts: 4,167
OP, ESC in no way limits your steering ability. It actually works by reading your steering inputs and the Jeeps motion to keep you out of trouble. The only way it controls "steering" the Jeep is through selected inputs to brakes on the individual wheels as described above.

Make sure you understand what it does because it there for your safety, including to avoid rolling over while doing donuts in the snow.
__________________
"A man has got to know his limitations."
H. Callahan
spinlock is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-29-2014, 09:13 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
COStrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinlock View Post
OP, ESC in no way limits your steering ability. It actually works by reading your steering inputs and the Jeeps motion to keep you out of trouble. The only way it controls "steering" the Jeep is through selected inputs to brakes on the individual wheels as described above. Make sure you understand what it does because it there for your safety, including to avoid rolling over while doing donuts in the snow.
You are wrong. My steering wheel has an effect where you can't turn it at all over the same crazy bump on a bridge expansion joint. It locks up. It happens regularly at that spot but rarely anywhere else. All the parameters are set accordingly for gears and tire size with a procal. It feels like the power steering goes out for a second or two. NOT A GOOD FEELING. And it's happened since I had a completely new front suspension (all synergy: trac bar, tie rod, drag link, ball joints, trac bar and steering sector shaft brace) and a fresh alignment on a brand new alignment rack.

I can assure you the power steering wheel system IS affected by ESP or ESC or whatever electronic bs is in place.

2012, 6 speed, AEV 3.5", 35's, procal, etc

__________________
We do not take risks to escape life, but to keep life from escaping us.-Unknown
COStrider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC