Fluid film as a wax - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today



Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-24-2015, 04:33 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
RubiconOp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 593
RubiconOp is on a distinguished road
Fluid film as a wax

I accidentally sprayed a bunch on the doors. I wiped it off, but I really like the results. Looks freshly waxed, dirt doesn't stick as much. Thinking about spraying the whole exterior.
Anybody else done this?
RubiconOp is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:36 PM   #2
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Youngstown OH
Posts: 115
JkMonster is on a distinguished road
I am planning on doing my underside next winter. I'll probably do the whole rocker panel.

JkMonster is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
RubiconOp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 593
RubiconOp is on a distinguished road
Yeah, the underside on mine is done. The question was, has anyone sprayed the exterior? I will do it in a few weeks and let everyone know. Seems rational that it would work.
RubiconOp is offline   Quote
 
Old 01-24-2015, 04:53 PM   #4
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Youngstown OH
Posts: 115
JkMonster is on a distinguished road
Good luck seeing that it isn't an automotive wax I would try to avoid putting it all over to each their own.
JkMonster is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:20 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
jac04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 878
jac04 is on a distinguished road
A while back, I did the underside of my 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 with 49k original miles. I wiped down the chrome bumpers with it too, and it has held up very well as a 'wax'. I also wiped the somewhat faded black trim with it, and the results were excellent and continue to be.
jac04 is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:29 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
RubiconOp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 593
RubiconOp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JkMonster View Post
Good luck seeing that it isn't an automotive wax I would try to avoid putting it all over to each their own.
I was just wondering if it could be used for a quick wax, especially in the winter. Still plan on doing the usual waxing..... Of course.
RubiconOp is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:54 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
foolproof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Kingsville, MO
Posts: 506
foolproof is on a distinguished road
What is this fluid film of which you speak?
foolproof is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:02 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Saginaw
Posts: 267
DFisk1975 is on a distinguished road
The fluid film website says it safe to use on all surfaces except non-oil resistant rubber. Here is the link. Fluid Film® | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor
DFisk1975 is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #10
WF Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 52,700
kjeeper10 is on a distinguished road
Wool based spray on fluid like WD but safe for almost everything.
I found it lubricates Heim joints too. Rust Prevention is FF's main usage.
I bought my first spray can at NAPA
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:28 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
eldomi809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston,Ma
Posts: 387
eldomi809 is on a distinguished road
This stuff is great.. For rust and cleanliness .. A few wipes and it comes off without a big mess
eldomi809 is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:56 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 412
JTB488 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolproof View Post
What is this fluid film of which you speak?

http://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-11-...rds=fluid+film
__________________
2014 JKR
JTB488 is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:07 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
damndirtydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Eden Utah
Posts: 2,018
damndirtydog is on a distinguished road
Bought 2 cans of it and applied it last week. Road salt has been rusting the crap out of every piece of metal on the underside. I always hit the car wash a day or so when the roads dry. I liked the Boesheild corrosion inhibitor but the waxy finish holds all the dirt, sand and road grime. So I'm curious to see how the fluid film holds up after a snow and salted roads.
damndirtydog is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:45 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
HunterTheBeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,012
HunterTheBeagle is on a distinguished road
I love fluid film and spray it on my undercarriage and have had good results with it. With that said why would you want to do the outside with it? There are hundreds of products specifically designed and dedicated to just such a purpose why not use one of them? Its not like fluid film is cheaper than any number of wax or polymer based sealant.
__________________
2012 Crush JK Rubicon. Teraflex 2.5" coil w/fox shocks and ATS, 1/2" front and 1" rear TF spacers. TF monster front and rear track bar, RK F/R lower arms, Ruff Stuff front upper. 315 75r16 duratracs. LOD armor lite mid w/Warn VR 8000. Lots of other goodies.
HunterTheBeagle is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:31 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
RubiconOp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 593
RubiconOp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTheBeagle View Post
I love fluid film and spray it on my undercarriage and have had good results with it. With that said why would you want to do the outside with it? There are hundreds of products specifically designed and dedicated to just such a purpose why not use one of them? Its not like fluid film is cheaper than any number of wax or polymer based sealant.
I know. Your right. But in the middle of winter, when I am touching up the underbelly, a bunch got on the flares and door. Really looked good and prevented mud from sticking on door.... So I thought I would throw it out there for opinions.
RubiconOp is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:33 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 412
JTB488 is on a distinguished road
I'm curious how it looks on the flares/plastic.
__________________
2014 JKR
JTB488 is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:47 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
HunterTheBeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,012
HunterTheBeagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconOp View Post

I know. Your right. But in the middle of winter, when I am touching up the underbelly, a bunch got on the flares and door. Really looked good and prevented mud from sticking on door.... So I thought I would throw it out there for opinions.
I'm not knocking you or anything it's your jeep you do what you want hahaha I was just curious why when there are so many other products that will inevitably look and perform better. If it were my jeep I would personally take the time to just do it right and use a proper paint protector then I know what its going to do and I don't have to ask... But then again I'm kinda anal about my paint. If you spray it all down let us know how it does. If it makes u feel better I really don't think it will hurt anything. Worst case you scratch you paint trying to get it back off. Best case you never have to worry about your jeep rusting as it took a bath in fluid film.
__________________
2012 Crush JK Rubicon. Teraflex 2.5" coil w/fox shocks and ATS, 1/2" front and 1" rear TF spacers. TF monster front and rear track bar, RK F/R lower arms, Ruff Stuff front upper. 315 75r16 duratracs. LOD armor lite mid w/Warn VR 8000. Lots of other goodies.
HunterTheBeagle is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:22 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
RubiconOp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 593
RubiconOp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTheBeagle View Post

I'm not knocking you or anything it's your jeep you do what you want hahaha I was just curious why when there are so many other products that will inevitably look and perform better. If it were my jeep I would personally take the time to just do it right and use a proper paint protector then I know what its going to do and I don't have to ask... But then again I'm kinda anal about my paint. If you spray it all down let us know how it does. If it makes u feel better I really don't think it will hurt anything. Worst case you scratch you paint trying to get it back off. Best case you never have to worry about your jeep rusting as it took a bath in fluid film.
Lol. Thanks. I don't think it will damage anything. I will let you guys know.
Seriously though, my doors which are covered in it when I sprayed the hinges and Rubicon rails, are still clean and shiny........
RubiconOp is offline   Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:37 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 35
Mobusaki is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconOp View Post
Lol. Thanks. I don't think it will damage anything. I will let you guys know.
Seriously though, my doors which are covered in it when I sprayed the hinges and Rubicon rails, are still clean and shiny........
I apologize for posting on an old thread... but I have been wondering about this and found this thread through search. Did you ever do this? What were the results?

Jeeps rust on the outside... hinges, flares, rockers. If Fluid Film works OK on the outside of the body too I'd love to know.

Not sure if there is much interest for it, but I'll perform this experiment myself if no-one chimes in that has already.
Mobusaki is offline   Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:51 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Deplorable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: WNC
Posts: 165
Deplorable is on a distinguished road
Does FF attract dust and dirt?
__________________
Rubicon Hard Rock-
Metalcloak 3.5" GC, Crawler Conceptz front bumper and fenders, LOD Destroyer Shorty rear bumper and tire carrier, VKS PreRunner welded sliders, MC Under Cloak skids, Yeti XD draglink, Zeon 10S, Factor 55 fairlead and Prolink, Level 8 Pro Bully, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50x17
Deplorable is online now   Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:49 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
TheRubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 142
TheRubicon is on a distinguished road
Dude just grab a tub of meguiars or mothers paint sealant. That stuff lasts for month and that tub will last you for a decade.
TheRubicon is offline   Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:44 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
jac04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 878
jac04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deplorable View Post
Does FF attract dust and dirt?
Yes and no. If you spray it on and leave it, then yes. If you put it on then buff it off like a wax, then no.

I use FF on my tractor as a wax (basically because I am already there with the can of FF applying it to the the mower deck or snowblower). It works OK I guess, but it definitely doesn't last long at all. Use a good quality car wax on your paint.

If you are worried about corrosion around the hinges, then I would suggest Boeshield. It is much thinner than FF and dries to a wax film. I carefully spray it around the perimeter of all the hinges and it wicks in between the hinges and the body. I also use it on all exposed metal surfaces of my restored 68 Camaro. After it dries, it doesn't wick or creep anymore, making it a much 'cleaner' product. FF will never dry and it never stops creeping. Not a bad thing, but not desired for things like exposed door hinges (or underhood hardware on a concours car).
__________________
2014 JK Rubicon X, 4.10 Auto \\ Dynatrac HD ProRock 44 w/ ProSteers & Yeti Tie Rod \\ Custom-built Dana 44 HD rear axle w/ Artec brackets & Ten Factory shafts \\ AEV 2” Lift \\ 255/80-17 BFG KM2 tires \\ Skid plates = engine, trans, exhaust loop, x-member, gas tank, evap, AEV diff slider \\ Warn Zeon 10s
jac04 is offline   Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:13 AM   #23
ADHD

WF Supporting Member
 
TurkTTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Bend, IN
Posts: 1,138
TurkTTR is on a distinguished road
I've been spraying it on everything on my JK since I've had it. I spray all the body panels, fenders, undercarriage, etc. The fenders go back to black immediately and the body stays cleaner through the road salt in the winter. The only things I don't hit are the windows and the brake rotor firepaths. No issues so far, but it does tend to dissolve plasti-dip!
__________________
2014 JK Rubicon
ANVIL
2 Doors, 2 seats, 3 pedals, 37s

Build thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/tu...-459729-4.html
All views expressed are solely my own unless specifically stated otherwise.
TurkTTR is offline   Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:24 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
j3ph3ry_j33p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Nashville
Posts: 268
j3ph3ry_j33p is on a distinguished road
like @kjeeper10 ( we've talked on this and many other forums about FF for years ) , I use this on all three of my current Jeeps and others in past. It utterly eliminates the corrosion chemical and/or salt each winter from road TDOT sprays getting into your metal by sealing everything in a coat of organic lubricant that stays thick as you spray it for months . When it does 'dry' , the metal is bonded with the lanolin based rust inhibitor for loooong time . Plastics look renewed ( yup, JK flares, handles and bumpers ) , fabrics become waterproof and metal utterly blocked from elements. It can't hurt the surface but don't ever plan to remove it without serious solvent or maybe denatured alcohol ? And don't get on glass it it'll never be clear. But , I spray it all over my winch and it's cover , that blows up and gets on my hood and grill but it just wipes off....Better for total underside coating like on my unit bodied ,'95 Cherokee that is rustless after almost 400,000 original "me" miles ...

Warning : you will smell like a barn used at a 4H exhibit if you coat the Jeep with the stuff . It was farming based , originally , product but not limited to that ...The lanolin smells like a farm if you've never lived on one before....

Nothing will rust ever if you use this. There go the prices per can ,Ken...
__________________

ºlllllllº '11 JKUr
lllllll'95 XJ
j3ph3ry_j33p is offline   Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:35 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NJ
Posts: 367
Artdnj is on a distinguished road
I apply it to my undercarriage then after y shower I apply it all over my body...really has a glossy affect on my skin tone and prevents wrinkles. JK sorry but I couldn't resist.

Great stuff, but leave it on metal imo and use auto paint protection products on painted surfaces.
__________________


2016 Black Hard Rock Unlimited
Artdnj is offline   Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:58 AM   #26
ADHD

WF Supporting Member
 
TurkTTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Bend, IN
Posts: 1,138
TurkTTR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ph3ry_j33p View Post
Warning : you will smell like a barn used at a 4H exhibit if you coat the Jeep with the stuff . It was farming based , originally , product but not limited to that ...The lanolin smells like a farm if you've never lived on one before....

I didn't grow up on a farm, but I have come to LOVE the FF smell!
__________________
2014 JK Rubicon
ANVIL
2 Doors, 2 seats, 3 pedals, 37s

Build thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/tu...-459729-4.html
All views expressed are solely my own unless specifically stated otherwise.
TurkTTR is offline   Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:20 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Sleddogn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 259
Sleddogn is on a distinguished road
the smell reminds me of military museums, old aircraft and such...
Sleddogn is offline   Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:40 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
j3ph3ry_j33p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Nashville
Posts: 268
j3ph3ry_j33p is on a distinguished road
its a devastatingly effective laxative when combined with popcorn and epsom salt. Slip-slide-&-away.....
__________________

ºlllllllº '11 JKUr
lllllll'95 XJ
j3ph3ry_j33p is offline   Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #29
ADHD

WF Supporting Member
 
TurkTTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Bend, IN
Posts: 1,138
TurkTTR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ph3ry_j33p View Post
its a devastatingly effective laxative when combined with popcorn and epsom salt. Slip-slide-&-away.....
That's good stuff right there
__________________
2014 JK Rubicon
ANVIL
2 Doors, 2 seats, 3 pedals, 37s

Build thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/tu...-459729-4.html
All views expressed are solely my own unless specifically stated otherwise.
TurkTTR is offline   Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:13 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 35
Mobusaki is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkTTR View Post
I've been spraying it on everything on my JK since I've had it. I spray all the body panels, fenders, undercarriage, etc. The fenders go back to black immediately and the body stays cleaner through the road salt in the winter. The only things I don't hit are the windows and the brake rotor firepaths. No issues so far, but it does tend to dissolve plasti-dip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ph3ry_j33p View Post
like @kjeeper10 ( we've talked on this and many other forums about FF for years ) , I use this on all three of my current Jeeps and others in past. It utterly eliminates the corrosion chemical and/or salt each winter from road TDOT sprays getting into your metal by sealing everything in a coat of organic lubricant that stays thick as you spray it for months . When it does 'dry' , the metal is bonded with the lanolin based rust inhibitor for loooong time . Plastics look renewed ( yup, JK flares, handles and bumpers ) , fabrics become waterproof and metal utterly blocked from elements. It can't hurt the surface but don't ever plan to remove it without serious solvent or maybe denatured alcohol ? And don't get on glass it it'll never be clear. But , I spray it all over my winch and it's cover , that blows up and gets on my hood and grill but it just wipes off....Better for total underside coating like on my unit bodied ,'95 Cherokee that is rustless after almost 400,000 original "me" miles ...

Warning : you will smell like a barn used at a 4H exhibit if you coat the Jeep with the stuff . It was farming based , originally , product but not limited to that ...The lanolin smells like a farm if you've never lived on one before....

Nothing will rust ever if you use this. There go the prices per can ,Ken...
So just to be clear, you put Fluid Film on the painted body panels like a wax? I've looked at your build thread TurkTTR, your Jeep always looks remarkably clean! Mine is always a mess from the fluid film and the dirt that it accumulates. That's why I was worried about using FF as a wax. I really want to because it protects against rust so well and will creep and reseal any areas that get scratched, which I don't really trust a typical wax to do in the winter. How do you keep yours so clean underneath and up top with FF on it?

kjeeper10, I too love the smell. 400,000 miles is incredible... do you have pictures of that Cherokee? My first vehicle was a Cherokee and I miss it every day. The reasons you stated are why I would love to submerge my Jeep in a huge vat of Fluid Film lol. If I start putting it on the painted body panels like a wax then I have basically done just that. Rust destroyed my Cherokee and I don't want that to ever happen again.

Mobusaki is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC
« Back

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner