GPS unit - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-04-2011, 01:15 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Raidue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 189
GPS unit

Anyone have any recommendations for a GPS unit? I almost bought a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx 2 or 3 times for use on my KLR650, but now that I have the jeep portability and small size is no longer an issue.

Ultimately I want something that you can get topo's for. The in town stuff and highway stuff would be a complete bonus as far as I am concerned.


Raidue is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2011, 04:04 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 40
Just get a smart phone like and andriod and just use google maps or the navigation that uses google maps. It's updated and auto updates. Thats what I do and it gives you turn by turn you can mark places and everything. Like if you get out of your Jeep and go for a walk you can mark it, walk away, get lost, and pull it up and guide you right to it.

__________________
Want a Wrangler so bad!!!
kansasboy91 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2011, 05:32 AM   #3
Trail Mom

WF Supporting Member
 
Kate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Scotts Hill, TN
Posts: 2,864
I have a Garmin Oregon 550t and I absolutely LOVE it!


I've had a Garmin Street finder and a Magellan before and nothing I have seen comes even close.
__________________
06 Rubi with some sort of double ended, chrome knobbed, cross threaded, infinitely adjustable, frequently breakable, worn out flammywhammers zip tied onto it.
It used to be a jeep thing... til that sh!t broke!
Kate is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
I do my own stunts.

5-Year WF Supporting Member
WF Supporting Member
 
yomondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 2,818
If you have or can get one of the larger screen Android phones and car docking station, that would be a good option. On my Droid X, I use Backcountry Navigator software with pre-downloaded maps for trail navigation, and the included Google Navigation software for street navigation. Because I also happen to have a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (which I initially bought for hiking), I also use that for trail navigation in addition to the phone. I have one device zoomed in and the other zoomed out, so I have both views at the same time.
yomondo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Elmendorf Tx
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidue View Post
Anyone have any recommendations for a GPS unit? I almost bought a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx 2 or 3 times for use on my KLR650, but now that I have the jeep portability and small size is no longer an issue.

Ultimately I want something that you can get topo's for. The in town stuff and highway stuff would be a complete bonus as far as I am concerned.

I use a Garmin 276C this was primarily designed as a marine unit, screen is a great size sets on the dash using the marine mount and 3M dbl sticky in the Rubi and easy on the eyes. I have topo maps on a removable card and North America street and highways. It has much more user custom controls that none of the Nuvis have, some reason it shows more streets then 4 nuvi units that i have used. Water proof, antenna can be detached and an external used if needed,talks to me (and sometimes I talk to It). I have a Garmin 76csx when need to leave the Jeep as well as the 276 has built in battery.
They no longer carry this unit as its been discontinued but I am sure something has replaced it, I hope if this would go out I would replace with the same unit in a heart beat. In heavy tree dense areas the 76 has a much better receiver which is the same as the 60csx but getting older and my eyes are not like they use to be, so hence the 276
__________________
Ron

Elmendorf Tx

2011 2Dr Rubicon 6 speed
I love this Jeep thang,,,,
txron is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: ny
Posts: 448
[QUOTE=Raidue;963944]Anyone have any recommendations for a GPS unit? I almost bought a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx 2 or 3 times for use on my KLR650, but now that I have the jeep portability and small size is no longer an issue.

Ultimately I want something that you can get topo's for. The in town stuff and highway stuff would be a complete bonus as far as I am concerned.

If you don't need it to be portable I got a rearview mirror unit from Rydeen. (mn302) It has a backup camera feature, bluetooth and you can also put an additonal video input into it also for rock climbing on the front. Looks factory and an easy install.
deepbluerubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
Trail Mom

WF Supporting Member
 
Kate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Scotts Hill, TN
Posts: 2,864
@deepblurubi - see my post above.

As far as using a "phone" for a GPS, I Geocache with friends who use their phones.
Although they work well MOST of the time, I have had many occasions where they have lost service, thereby losing their navigational ability as well. So I hand them my GPS, which is still working.

Just food for thought
__________________
06 Rubi with some sort of double ended, chrome knobbed, cross threaded, infinitely adjustable, frequently breakable, worn out flammywhammers zip tied onto it.
It used to be a jeep thing... til that sh!t broke!
Kate is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
afrats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 1,531
Send a message via MSN to afrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
I have a Garmin Oregon 550t and I absolutely LOVE it!


I've had a Garmin Street finder and a Magellan before and nothing I have seen comes even close.
x2. This is a great GPS unit and you can even do some geocaching with it.
__________________
My strength is made
perfect in weakness.
2 Corinthians 12:9


afrats is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
Trail Mom

WF Supporting Member
 
Kate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Scotts Hill, TN
Posts: 2,864
I got it primarily for navigation and geocaching.
For geocaching, it is the bomb!
Upload straight into it. with the street maps, it will take you right to them, has a camera, you upload your trail notes directly to GC.com for logging, it has ALL of the cache info that you want in it.. yea, it's one of my mostest favoritest toys!
__________________
06 Rubi with some sort of double ended, chrome knobbed, cross threaded, infinitely adjustable, frequently breakable, worn out flammywhammers zip tied onto it.
It used to be a jeep thing... til that sh!t broke!
Kate is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Raidue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate
@deepblurubi - see my post above.

As far as using a "phone" for a GPS, I Geocache with friends who use their phones.
Although they work well MOST of the time, I have had many occasions where they have lost service, thereby losing their navigational ability as well. So I hand them my GPS, which is still working.

Just food for thought
X2. I was using my iPhone as well but the coverage is so weak that it becomes useless. I have tried a couple of back country apps but the maps they use are so out dated that they are pretty useless as well.

I was looking at the Oregon 450. I have an old etrex that I could use as a hand held. So if i go for a hike or whatnot i can at least find my way back to my jeep. Would it be more beneficial to run s larger screened NUVI for strictly in jeep use?
__________________
2010 JK Sport - 2.5" TF coil lift || 35" x 12.5" BFG KOs || 7" IPF 968s || LP10k Superwinch || XRC Front Bumper || XRC Sliders || XRC Rear bumper with Tire carrier|| JKS Quicker Discos

"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares?... He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!"
www.northridge4x4.ca || 4WD Hardware
Raidue is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 15
I use my iPhone 4 for geocaching and wheeling, however I agree that in the deep woods the phone kicks out sometimes which is why I am looking for a good standalone gps as well. Oh and p.s. Geocaching is "da bomb".... Reason I bought my jeep.
Helmgrath is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
carnut08's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 86
I'm using a Garmin Nuvi 5000 and it runs the Garmin TOPO U.S. 24K topo maps just fine. The latest firmware is required and is free from Garmin if the unit you get doesn't already have it.





This is a discontinued model, but you can find it on the Internet for only about $200. It has a large screen that is a little over 5", which is nice.

You will need an external antenna, though. The internal antenna of this unit is very weak.

The external antenna I use just sits on my dash and works fine. It cost about $25. It's a Garmin GA25 MCX.
carnut08 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
NewYJOwner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Michigan
Posts: 613
I have the Garmin GPSMap 60CSX, I went with that one for the portability, I use it on my quad with VVMapping and also can run TOPO maps on it. A ram mount makes it easy to swap from the Jeep to the Quad to handheld for walking trails. I have a couple of the micro SD cards loaded with whatever i may be doing with it, so it's just a matter of popping in the desired card.
NewYJOwner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
ColdSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fairbanks,AK
Posts: 543
I run an iPhone 4 for geocaching and trail marking. Pick up a few good apps and it is the business. The geocaching app works well until you lose service. What I do that works really well is preload maps into my other gps apps for where I will be and all surrounding areas(app has a large cache) and I never lose any ability even when I lose service as gps still works. I even preload caches in the area so I can track them down with no cell service outside the geocaching app.

This really can be a spendy way to go but if you already have a smartphone it is somewhat redundant to buy a standalone gps. However I hear they do have slightly better accuracy.
ColdSRT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Raidue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSRT
I run an iPhone 4 for geocaching and trail marking. Pick up a few good apps and it is the business. The geocaching app works well until you lose service. What I do that works really well is preload maps into my other gps apps for where I will be and all surrounding areas(app has a large cache) and I never lose any ability even when I lose service as gps still works. I even preload caches in the area so I can track them down with no cell service outside the geocaching app.

This really can be a spendy way to go but if you already have a smartphone it is somewhat redundant to buy a standalone gps. However I hear they do have slightly better accuracy.
Is that an iPhone app that you can cache maps in advance? If so I would be interested in the name. That could be an option.
__________________
2010 JK Sport - 2.5" TF coil lift || 35" x 12.5" BFG KOs || 7" IPF 968s || LP10k Superwinch || XRC Front Bumper || XRC Sliders || XRC Rear bumper with Tire carrier|| JKS Quicker Discos

"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares?... He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!"
www.northridge4x4.ca || 4WD Hardware
Raidue is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
JeeperJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,908
I've had a Garmin nuvi 650W for several years. Don't know if it does topos but it got me from the Pacific NW to Tampa & back in good order, with only 1 or 2 directional flukes per day.

It mounts a variety of ways, wide screen is good with 3D, lots of features, and you can stick it in your pocket for walking around town. Haven't done any trails though.

Good luck, there's a TON of choices out there.
JeeperJake is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2011, 11:56 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
ColdSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fairbanks,AK
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidue

Is that an iPhone app that you can cache maps in advance? If so I would be interested in the name. That could be an option.
Yes. Many gps apps do this. I prefer motion x gps. It works well with loading up geocaches for me. I record our trail runs so I can track where we have been and see stats for the run like realtime altitude and speed. Neat little app.

There are map packs you can download but I found what I need free. In motion x there are certain map types that you can cache. What I do is basically scout out the run I'm planning and while I'm at home I will load those maps and a certain distance past that in a couple hundred mile radius. That way I'm covered. Has not let me down yet.
ColdSRT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Raidue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 189
Anyone running a Garmin Nuvi 550? I pretty much have it narrowed down to that unit or the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx.
__________________
2010 JK Sport - 2.5" TF coil lift || 35" x 12.5" BFG KOs || 7" IPF 968s || LP10k Superwinch || XRC Front Bumper || XRC Sliders || XRC Rear bumper with Tire carrier|| JKS Quicker Discos

"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares?... He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!"
www.northridge4x4.ca || 4WD Hardware
Raidue is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2011, 10:29 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
CRNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 247
I used to have a Garmin c320 for the auto. Now that I have a Droid 2, there is no comparison. The Droid is far better than the Garmin unit was. Locks on within seconds, very accurate, and uses Google maps, which I find to be much more accurate than the Garmin maps, update continuously, and they're FREE!. The interface between the phone and the navigation is also much better; you can speak destinations, use names and addresses with minimal information and the phone will suggest if you are close, an almost unlimited amount of POI's, etc. Both of our Garmin auto GPS units are now ready for the trash.
CRNA is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2011, 11:09 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Raidue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRNA
I used to have a Garmin c320 for the auto. Now that I have a Droid 2, there is no comparison. The Droid is far better than the Garmin unit was. Locks on within seconds, very accurate, and uses Google maps, which I find to be much more accurate than the Garmin maps, update continuously, and they're FREE!. The interface between the phone and the navigation is also much better; you can speak destinations, use names and addresses with minimal information and the phone will suggest if you are close, an almost unlimited amount of POI's, etc. Both of our Garmin auto GPS units are now ready for the trash.
My main problem is that the 3G cell coverage is so spotty that I lose the ability to update the maps using google maps.

That is one of the primary reasons I think I have to get a dedicated GPS for offloading.
__________________
2010 JK Sport - 2.5" TF coil lift || 35" x 12.5" BFG KOs || 7" IPF 968s || LP10k Superwinch || XRC Front Bumper || XRC Sliders || XRC Rear bumper with Tire carrier|| JKS Quicker Discos

"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares?... He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!"
www.northridge4x4.ca || 4WD Hardware
Raidue is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
carnut08's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidue View Post
My main problem is that the 3G cell coverage is so spotty that I lose the ability to update the maps using google maps.

That is one of the primary reasons I think I have to get a dedicated GPS for offloading.
That's especially true out West. Smart phones are great for city folks, but they're the pits in the boonies....where Jeepers are likely to be found.
carnut08 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
rics1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bristol, Tn
Posts: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomondo View Post
If you have or can get one of the larger screen Android phones and car docking station, that would be a good option. On my Droid X, I use Backcountry Navigator software with pre-downloaded maps for trail navigation, and the included Google Navigation software for street navigation. Because I also happen to have a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (which I initially bought for hiking), I also use that for trail navigation in addition to the phone. I have one device zoomed in and the other zoomed out, so I have both views at the same time.
I use the same with my droid X and the windshield mount's face sits perfect in my Daystar. But I don't use the Garmin but the droid works fine for my needs
__________________
2010 Dark Charcoal Pearl Jeep Wrangler Sport S Automatic
4.88 Yukon w/Trac-Lok rear and Eaton ELocker Front - Synergy Gussets - B&M 70264 Trans Cooler
BDS 3" lift - BDS Fox 2.0 Racing Shocks
XHD front Bumper - Trektop NX - Goodyear MT/R w/Kevlar 35X12.5X15 on MB Chaos 5 Wheels - Thrush Turbo Muffler

Become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
rics1997 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #23
I do my own stunts.

5-Year WF Supporting Member
WF Supporting Member
 
yomondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 2,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut08 View Post
That's especially true out West. Smart phones are great for city folks, but they're the pits in the boonies....where Jeepers are likely to be found.
I use Backcountry Navigator software on my Android phone. I can pre-load maps, waypoints and GPS tracks to the phone, then it works just like a dedicated GPS device out in the boonies. Only thing is that the battery will run down quickly if not plugged in, which is why I wouldn't use it for hiking, but it works great for offroading.
__________________
Enough about you. Now let me tell you about my Jeep.
Blk 09 2Dr Rubi | TF 3" lift | 35" MTRs | Fox Shox | TF Rear Speedbumps | JKS Trackbars | EVO Axle Sleeves and C Gussets | ARB Diff Covers | Shrockworks Bumpers and Rock Rails | Synergy Ball Joints and Tie Rod | Warn 9.5ti | sPOD | Superchips | MyGig LockPick | Front/Rear Cameras | Dual Optima Yellow Tops | HID Headlights and Fogs | Front/Rear Aux Lights | VisionX Rock Lights | Cobra 29 LTD | 4' FireStick | TrekArmor Seat Covers
yomondo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2011, 10:56 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
CRNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidue View Post
My main problem is that the 3G cell coverage is so spotty that I lose the ability to update the maps using google maps.

That is one of the primary reasons I think I have to get a dedicated GPS for offloading.
I live in a rural area, and don't always have 3G, and mine works fine. As long as I have the dedicated GPS on and don't use the 3G network for location determination.

CRNA is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
oil pressure switch/sending unit Moojamboo YJ Tech Forum 5 12-12-2010 06:15 PM
New Radio Unit...Now AC Doesn't work? HELP! Rawb77 Communications and Electronics 9 03-02-2010 08:42 AM
WTB New In-dash unit with lots of features... JeffsJeep Communications and Electronics 0 01-26-2010 07:34 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC