I think its time for a lift... - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-27-2014, 09:35 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
cornfedksboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,007
I think its time for a lift...

Although I have searched and read a ton, I still have questions. I have a 2013 Moab JKU, which is basically a Sahara with AEV front and rear bumpers and "smallish" 32" GY SilentArmor tires. I'm okay with the tires (but will likely go to 33" BFG KM2 pizza cutters eventually), but with the addition of a Warn 9.5 cti I've lost about an inch in the front.

What I'm looking for is a small (2-2.5") suspension lift to increase articulation and clearance a bit. I don't think a budget boost is right for me as I want some performance gains on and off road. As such, I'm thinking AEV 2.5 Sport XT.

If I get the AEV lift:

1. How much lift should I expect since my bumper outweighs the stock bumper by ~ 50 lbs, and I added nearly 150 lbs with the winch set up? Should I estimate 2.5" of lift from current configuration or from stock configuration?

2. Do I need the geometry correction bracket?

3. Can I run Terraflex quick discos?

4. How silly will my stock tires look?

5. Should I consider something else?

cornfedksboy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-27-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
Supporting Member Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Daniel_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizoner
Posts: 2,396
You can fit 33's with no lift. I am going to throw this out TeraFlex JK 1.5 inch Performance Leveling Kit - RockRaider Off-road

This will give you about 1.5" and level the rig out. You can fit up to 35's with this kit. You may also run stock shocks and brake lines since it is 1.5". Also the Teraflex springs will support any weight you have or will add.

I also have this kit priced with shocks. Also has arms, trackbar and brake lines.
Rock Krawler 1.5" Max Travel w/ Bilstein 5100 shocks - RockRaider Off-road

Then there is this kit.
Synergy Jeep JK Starter Suspension System, 2" Lift - RockRaider Off-road

Either route you go I can get any of them including the AEV kit.

-Dan

__________________
-Dan, Owner
RockRaider4x4 - PM me for a quote
Free shipping on most items
Suspension package deals available
Daniel_M is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-27-2014, 10:06 PM   #3
Supporting Member Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Daniel_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizoner
Posts: 2,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfedksboy View Post
Although I have searched and read a ton, I still have questions. I have a 2013 Moab JKU, which is basically a Sahara with AEV front and rear bumpers and "smallish" 32" GY SilentArmor tires. I'm okay with the tires (but will likely go to 33" BFG KM2 pizza cutters eventually), but with the addition of a Warn 9.5 cti I've lost about an inch in the front.

What I'm looking for is a small (2-2.5") suspension lift to increase articulation and clearance a bit. I don't think a budget boost is right for me as I want some performance gains on and off road. As such, I'm thinking AEV 2.5 Sport XT.

If I get the AEV lift:

1. How much lift should I expect since my bumper outweighs the stock bumper by ~ 50 lbs, and I added nearly 150 lbs with the winch set up? Should I estimate 2.5" of lift from current configuration or from stock configuration?

2. Do I need the geometry correction bracket?

3. Can I run Terraflex quick discos?

4. How silly will my stock tires look?

5. Should I consider something else?
As for your question.

1. All of these lifts are made to support weight. You will get advertised height regardless of

2. You do not need them, but they do help. I personally like adjustable control arms better.

3. You can run any quick disconnect with any kit if it doesn't come with them.

4. Looks are in the eye of the beholder. May look silly but you have an end goal of 33" km2, so wouldn't be that way forever.

5. Consider all of the other kits I mentioned. Nothing wrong with the AEV kit as I sell them all, but just giving you options.

-Dan
__________________
-Dan, Owner
RockRaider4x4 - PM me for a quote
Free shipping on most items
Suspension package deals available
Daniel_M is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-27-2014, 10:14 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
cornfedksboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
You can fit 33's with no lift. I am going to throw this out TeraFlex JK 1.5 inch Performance Leveling Kit - RockRaider Off-road

This will give you about 1.5" and level the rig out. You can fit up to 35's with this kit. You may also run stock shocks and brake lines since it is 1.5". Also the Teraflex springs will support any weight you have or will add.

I also have this kit priced with shocks. Also has arms, trackbar and brake lines.
Rock Krawler 1.5" Max Travel w/ Bilstein 5100 shocks - RockRaider Off-road

Then there is this kit.
Synergy Jeep JK Starter Suspension System, 2" Lift - RockRaider Off-road

Either route you go I can get any of them including the AEV kit.

-Dan
Good stuff! Thanks for adding some suggestions for my specific needs.
cornfedksboy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2014, 02:27 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
spinlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 37.9° N, 121.7° W
Posts: 3,252
The AEV lift kit will probably not give you enough lift alone to eliminate all rake with the bumper and the winch. If you want it level like many owners expect you will need to add a small 0.75-1.0" spacer to the coils.

Good choice on the lift kit.
__________________
"A man has got to know his limitations."
H. Callahan
spinlock is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2014, 05:37 AM   #6
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,339
The geometry brackets make the AEV kit IMO. Not saying you can't run arms in their place, you can. All the hype around AEV comes down to the brackets IMO. If clearance is not a big concern and you need caster correction. Rancho makes a version that are very well made. FYI it doesn't have to be AEV, you can run drop brackets along with any of the setups Dan listed.
I run them currently, but only until I decide on the jeeps future for arms. Good luck !!!
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2014, 05:40 AM   #7
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,339
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2014, 06:43 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
cornfedksboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinlock View Post
The AEV lift kit will probably not give you enough lift alone to eliminate all rake with the bumper and the winch. If you want it level like many owners expect you will need to add a small 0.75-1.0" spacer to the coils.

Good choice on the lift kit.
Actually, I don't mind the rake, and if I wasn't concerned about performance, I wouldn't be looking to lift it. With all the extra weight up front, I just don't any play in the springs before they bottom out.
cornfedksboy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
jwilson2598's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
The geometry brackets make the AEV kit IMO. Not saying you can't run arms in their place, you can. All the hype around AEV comes down to the brackets IMO. If clearance is not a big concern and you need caster correction. Rancho makes a version that are very well made. FYI it doesn't have to be AEV, you can run drop brackets along with any of the setups Dan listed.
I run them currently, but only until I decide on the jeeps future for arms. Good luck !!!
I have to agree with this. I have a ghetto 2.5" lift (10A springs plus 1.5" leveling kit) on mine and I added the geometry brackets this weekend. World of difference in the ride and handling, as well as getting rid of the braking nose dive.
__________________
Jeff

2013 JKU Sahara, Gecko Green, loaded up
10A Springs, Teraflex levling kit, 315/70/17 Duratracs, AEV Pintler wheels, front/rear bumpers and hood
jwilson2598 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
KC_Hawker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Too far from any coast.
Posts: 720
not to sidetrack this thread, but I had a question that I hope would fall in line with it. It seems like cornfedksboy is in about the same place as I am (except he already has his bumpers )

Is there any major difference in ride quality with the 2" hockey puck budget boosts? With a full kit, I could see differences with springs, shocks, extra brackets, etc but when you are just adding a piece of plastic on the springs?

For that matter, how much more of a difference is there with a full spring 2 1/2" boost vs the BB?

Trying to plan my build out and I was thinking of trying to do 33/35's on a 2 in BB and flat fenders ( I Like the look too) or just doing it high $$$$ and going with a quality 3 1/2 new rims and tires @ 35. I know the second costs a lot more, and I am almost even on styling so just trying to see which has advantages that match my driving. I am mostly highway (and prob like KS above) when I off road its not heavy rock, its more pastures and grassland here in KS so I dont need a hardcore crawler setup.
KC_Hawker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2014, 09:58 AM   #11
Supporting Member Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Daniel_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizoner
Posts: 2,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Hawker View Post
not to sidetrack this thread, but I had a question that I hope would fall in line with it. It seems like cornfedksboy is in about the same place as I am (except he already has his bumpers )

Is there any major difference in ride quality with the 2" hockey puck budget boosts? With a full kit, I could see differences with springs, shocks, extra brackets, etc but when you are just adding a piece of plastic on the springs?

For that matter, how much more of a difference is there with a full spring 2 1/2" boost vs the BB?

Trying to plan my build out and I was thinking of trying to do 33/35's on a 2 in BB and flat fenders ( I Like the look too) or just doing it high $$$$ and going with a quality 3 1/2 new rims and tires @ 35. I know the second costs a lot more, and I am almost even on styling so just trying to see which has advantages that match my driving. I am mostly highway (and prob like KS above) when I off road its not heavy rock, its more pastures and grassland here in KS so I dont need a hardcore crawler setup.
The ride quality doesn’t suffer with a budget boost. You could absolutely run 35’s with a budget boost. The problem is underweight the stock coils will sag and you will lose some height. Also by just going with a BB, even though you are lifting, you aren’t adding much suspension travel vs the actual spring lift. You are adding clearance with the bigger tires, but not travel.

In your case, since you got a 2 door, 3.5” may be too high for 35’s. At 3.5” you will need to address control arms, trackbars, driveshafts and brake lines. In the case of Rock Krawler lifts or the like, where they do not differentiate 2 door and 4 door lifts, you would gain more height than advertised.

If you did something like my RK 1.5” package that is priced with shocks, you would gain an actual 2-2.5” in lift height. Their Max Travel comes with a front adjustable trackbar, adjustable lower control arms, extended brake lines and longer sway bar links. This kit would ride amazing on road and perform off-road as well. Something like Teraflex has 2 door and 4 door specific lifts.

http://www.rockraider4x4.com/store/p228/Rock_Krawler_1.5%22_Max_Travel_w%2F_Bilstein_5100_ shocks.html
http://www.rockraider4x4.com/store/c28/Teraflex.html

I don’t have packages for TF priced with shocks, but certainly can put one together for you.

-Dan
__________________
-Dan, Owner
RockRaider4x4 - PM me for a quote
Free shipping on most items
Suspension package deals available
Daniel_M is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-30-2014, 08:50 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
cornfedksboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
You can fit 33's with no lift. I am going to throw this out TeraFlex JK 1.5 inch Performance Leveling Kit - RockRaider Off-road

This will give you about 1.5" and level the rig out. You can fit up to 35's with this kit. You may also run stock shocks and brake lines since it is 1.5". Also the Teraflex springs will support any weight you have or will add.


-Dan
What kind of on pavement ride will those springs provide? I often have the wife and kids with me and we are on the highway for hours. I don't want to sacrifice handling on road for off road.
cornfedksboy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-30-2014, 09:58 PM   #13
Supporting Member Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Daniel_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizoner
Posts: 2,396
They ride great. Kjeeper10 has the triple rates and could chime in with his thoughts. With Rock Krawler, you will not sacrifice anything.

-Dan
__________________
-Dan, Owner
RockRaider4x4 - PM me for a quote
Free shipping on most items
Suspension package deals available
Daniel_M is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-01-2014, 05:09 AM   #14
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,339
Great on a 2 door, fantastic on a 4 door. Also benefit at a lower lift height.

You want good shocks. Not sure if Dan can get them for you? The Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks. Right now there's a spring rebate for $100.
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-01-2014, 06:22 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
cornfedksboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Great on a 2 door, fantastic on a 4 door. Also benefit at a lower lift height.

You want good shocks. Not sure if Dan can get them for you? The Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks. Right now there's a spring rebate for $100.
Kjeeper, are you talking about the TF springs or the RK springs?
cornfedksboy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #16
Supporting Member Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Daniel_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizoner
Posts: 2,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfedksboy View Post
Kjeeper, are you talking about the TF springs or the RK springs?
He is talking about the RK triple rates, as that's what he is on right now.

And yes, I can get the Rancho 9000.

-Dan
__________________
-Dan, Owner
RockRaider4x4 - PM me for a quote
Free shipping on most items
Suspension package deals available
Daniel_M is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-01-2014, 06:22 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
cornfedksboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,007
Thanks Dan! I wasn't planning a lift this year, but I think the RK 1.5 is probably right for me. I will have to consider the timing and get back to you when I'm 100% ready. If any crazy deals come up on the lift, please PM me.
cornfedksboy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-01-2014, 07:35 PM   #18
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfedksboy View Post
Thanks Dan! I wasn't planning a lift this year, but I think the RK 1.5 is probably right for me. I will have to consider the timing and get back to you when I'm 100% ready. If any crazy deals come up on the lift, please PM me.
What's nice. W/ the 1.5" coils there's far less worry with handling issues and height. A 4 door with average out around 2" which is nice. You don't even need a "kit"
Pick up some coils, shocks, bump stops and maybe swaybar links and brake lines. Very simple IMO.
You can add front lowers for a little caster bump.
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
vacca foeda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Pete/Tampa
Posts: 594
I'm on the triple rate 1.5's on a 2 door. Throw the rancho 7000s in to your shock consideration too.
vacca foeda is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #20
Supporting Member Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Daniel_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizoner
Posts: 2,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfedksboy View Post
Thanks Dan! I wasn't planning a lift this year, but I think the RK 1.5 is probably right for me. I will have to consider the timing and get back to you when I'm 100% ready. If any crazy deals come up on the lift, please PM me.
I don't know what your budget is and what you consider a crazy deal. I have kits priced with shocks. Like the RK 1.5" Max Travel comes with arms, front trackbar, front brake lines and swaybar links.

Like Kjeeper10 said, you don't necessarily need all those items. Sure they will help dial it in but we could definitely piece together a RK lift for you. The coils are $139 a pair. Keep stock arms and stock trackbars, throw in brake drop brackets, front swaybar quick disconnects and some shocks and call it done.

-Dan
__________________
-Dan, Owner
RockRaider4x4 - PM me for a quote
Free shipping on most items
Suspension package deals available
Daniel_M is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #21
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
I don't know what your budget is and what you consider a crazy deal. I have kits priced with shocks. Like the RK 1.5" Max Travel comes with arms, front trackbar, front brake lines and swaybar links. Like Kjeeper10 said, you don't necessarily need all those items. Sure they will help dial it in but we could definitely piece together a RK lift for you. The coils are $139 a pair. Keep stock arms and stock trackbars, throw in brake drop brackets, front swaybar quick disconnects and some shocks and call it done. -Dan
X100

__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC