Jeep Wrangler X loses power while driving... - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
Newb
 
fragar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 12
Jeep Wrangler X loses power while driving...

Yesterday I noticed that I had a heavier load than usual (my kids) in the backseat - probably about 100lbs more than normal. As I was driving after approximately 30minutes, the jeep would not go more than 40mph.

For a while there, I thought it was just going to stop and shut off. I would press on the accelerator and it would not pick up. so I laid off the accelerator and then pumped a few times and that got me to a downhill portion of the highway and I was able to get to my destination. It drove well though when I got to the streets but for some reason on the highway it gave me this issue.

Any suggestions would help because I am wondering if my engine is going. The last things done to the jeep is that I added oil because my jeep burns oil at this point. So I have to keep adding a quart after every 300 - 500 miles. Also I added fuel injector cleaner (lucas). There is a noise my jeep makes, sounds like a perculator type noice whenever I speed up.

I have been noticing the loss of power in the past but it was very sporadic and lasted very little. I just thought it was bad gasoline. Now I am concerned because I travel with my kids and I don't want to get rear-ended.

Thank you.

fragar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
tab22092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragar View Post
Yesterday I noticed that I had a heavier load than usual (my kids) in the backseat - probably about 100lbs more than normal. As I was driving after approximately 30minutes, the jeep would not go more than 40mph. For a while there, I thought it was just going to stop and shut off. I would press on the accelerator and it would not pick up. so I laid off the accelerator and then pumped a few times and that got me to a downhill portion of the highway and I was able to get to my destination. It drove well though when I got to the streets but for some reason on the highway it gave me this issue. Any suggestions would help because I am wondering if my engine is going. The last things done to the jeep is that I added oil because my jeep burns oil at this point. So I have to keep adding a quart after every 300 - 500 miles. Also I added fuel injector cleaner (lucas). There is a noise my jeep makes, sounds like a perculator type noice whenever I speed up. I have been noticing the loss of power in the past but it was very sporadic and lasted very little. I just thought it was bad gasoline. Now I am concerned because I travel with my kids and I don't want to get rear-ended. Thank you.

A quart every 300 to 500 is ridiculous. There is something deeply wrong. I would be inclined to say that your rings are very bad. To the point they could be leaking compression. Also what tires, gears, and motor do you have? I didnt look at your profile before writing this.

__________________
2013 jk 6spd - 18/59 coils - PS BFH Trail Stinger - Teraflex Hinge and Carrier - Yukon 4.56 gears - Teraflex c gussets - Teraflex front axle sleeves - Alloy USA Ball Joints - Banks Monster Exhaust - JKS Quick Discos - Pro-Comp 7069's - Fierce Attitude 35's - MORE Oil Pan/Trans Skid - PS Bombshell Diff Covers - Rancho 7000 MT's
tab22092 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
Newb
 
fragar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 12
I have to get back to you on those. It is a 2008 Jeep Wrangler X - two door with hard top. It has 42,000 miles to date. I bought it off a jeep dealer about 2 years ago.
fragar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 36,742
Dang that sucks. Engines can be found for cheap . Lot of shops that do LS/hemi swaps offer them for cheap if it comes to that.
I don't think that's your problem though. No codes assuming ?
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
tab22092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragar View Post
I have to get back to you on those. It is a 2008 Jeep Wrangler X - two door with hard top. It has 42,000 miles to date. I bought it off a jeep dealer about 2 years ago.
Ok so its a 3.8 aka a notorious oil burner, but still burning that amount of oil is ludicrous. If you have larger tires without the proper setup it could feel sluggish as well. Especially in a automatic.
__________________
2013 jk 6spd - 18/59 coils - PS BFH Trail Stinger - Teraflex Hinge and Carrier - Yukon 4.56 gears - Teraflex c gussets - Teraflex front axle sleeves - Alloy USA Ball Joints - Banks Monster Exhaust - JKS Quick Discos - Pro-Comp 7069's - Fierce Attitude 35's - MORE Oil Pan/Trans Skid - PS Bombshell Diff Covers - Rancho 7000 MT's
tab22092 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 36,742
Agree, any lift/bigger tires ?

I did notice he's had issues from day one searching previous post.
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
Newb
 
fragar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 12
It came with the original tires - not sure if this helps. The jeep came off the lot with only 12,000 miles. right now i just want this jeep to take me through one more year so i can trade it in and get a more recent model. i'm also concerned for my kids in the back seat.
fragar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
tab22092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragar View Post
It came with the original tires - not sure if this helps. The jeep came off the lot with only 12,000 miles. right now i just want this jeep to take me through one more year so i can trade it in and get a more recent model. i'm also concerned for my kids in the back seat.
If the motor is deteriorating that quickly in my opinion it needs to be replaced or rebuilt. I personally would have a sense of urgency, but if your funds dont allow they dont allow. No check engine lights are present? Does the exhaust give out a bluish tinted smoke?
__________________
2013 jk 6spd - 18/59 coils - PS BFH Trail Stinger - Teraflex Hinge and Carrier - Yukon 4.56 gears - Teraflex c gussets - Teraflex front axle sleeves - Alloy USA Ball Joints - Banks Monster Exhaust - JKS Quick Discos - Pro-Comp 7069's - Fierce Attitude 35's - MORE Oil Pan/Trans Skid - PS Bombshell Diff Covers - Rancho 7000 MT's
tab22092 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
Newb
 
fragar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 12
no check engine lights. only when the oil is low. haven't checked the exhaust but I can today. i haven't noticed any heavy blue smoke coming from the exhaust though. just for curiousity how much does an engine swap or rebuilt go for?
fragar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
tab22092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragar View Post
no check engine lights. only when the oil is low. haven't checked the exhaust but I can today. i haven't noticed any heavy blue smoke coming from the exhaust though. just for curiousity how much does an engine swap or rebuilt go for?
Not to sure, i would check some local scrap yards. I see your in ny. Im in orange county and we have C&H salvage in campbell hall. There is another one around too but the name is eluding me at the moment. There across the river in beacon if i remember.
__________________
2013 jk 6spd - 18/59 coils - PS BFH Trail Stinger - Teraflex Hinge and Carrier - Yukon 4.56 gears - Teraflex c gussets - Teraflex front axle sleeves - Alloy USA Ball Joints - Banks Monster Exhaust - JKS Quick Discos - Pro-Comp 7069's - Fierce Attitude 35's - MORE Oil Pan/Trans Skid - PS Bombshell Diff Covers - Rancho 7000 MT's
tab22092 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #11
Newb
 
fragar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 12
I guess I either get rid of the jeep soon or get an engine replacement.
fragar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
GermanShepherdJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 559
Could your cat converter be plugged up? When it is running is there less then normal pressure at the exhust? Any bad smell when running?
__________________
2015 JKHR "GSJ"
GermanShepherdJeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
tab22092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanShepherdJeeper View Post
Could your cat converter be plugged up? When it is running is there less then normal pressure at the exhust? Any bad smell when running?
If the cat was plugged i think it would throw a CEL based on emissions and also most likely fail inspection.
__________________
2013 jk 6spd - 18/59 coils - PS BFH Trail Stinger - Teraflex Hinge and Carrier - Yukon 4.56 gears - Teraflex c gussets - Teraflex front axle sleeves - Alloy USA Ball Joints - Banks Monster Exhaust - JKS Quick Discos - Pro-Comp 7069's - Fierce Attitude 35's - MORE Oil Pan/Trans Skid - PS Bombshell Diff Covers - Rancho 7000 MT's
tab22092 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #14
Newb
 
fragar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 12
there is a smell of burning, like a burning syrup smell or something similar every now and then. the mechanic told me that this is normal for this model of jeep.
fragar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
spinlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 37.9° N, 121.7° W
Posts: 4,067
Burning that much oil is not normal for any engine operating correctly. Do you know if you're burning it or leaking it? How about a compression check? Check your exhaust to see if there is traces of oil or high levels of soot.

Given the PCM is always in the loop its hard to correlate the loss of power with the oil loss, specially if you haven't seen a code. The loss of speed could be non-related to the oil; something like fuel starvation.
spinlock is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #16
Newb
 
fragar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 12
According to the mechanic i normally take it to, burning oil. I will ask my mechanic for a compression check. I only hope it is anything else other than an engine problem. :0/
fragar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #17
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 36,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragar View Post
there is a smell of burning, like a burning syrup smell or something similar every now and then. the mechanic told me that this is normal for this model of jeep.
See if you can get a laser temp reader and check the cat temps.
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #18
Newb
 
fragar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 12
Ok, will do. Thanks for the advice everyone. I really appreciate it.

If you can think of anything else, I will follow through and be sure to update this thread so anyone else having the same issue can have hope to resolve it.

Best,

Frank
fragar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Baby Huey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Western Washington County Oregon
Posts: 1,125
Mine also uses oil......( 07-jku-x 43K miles.) I changed oil to 10-30, flushed the crankcase with Sea Foam, dumped the oil. Using 10-30 Castrol Extended mileage oil ( Green Jug) this is a syn blend... Sure took care of the oil usage. It's not a complete fix, but it's better than having to dump oil all time...
I'd have to agree about your problem possibly being the Cats plugged up.....Sofar mine has good power and drivability....
Good luck !... "BH"
__________________
07-JKU-X /Poison spider Evap.Skid/Master craft grab handles/Or-Fab spare tire-can carrier/ Gibson SS Duals/ Q-tec Floor Liners/Hidden Hitch Receiver/ AntennaX 7inch/ 48" Hi-Lift./ 8"X16"X4"bs Steel smoothie wheels/ 265X75R-16 Kelly Safari TSR tarz.

Viet Nam Veteran 69-70, Troop "D" (AIR) 3/4 Cav. ,25th Inf. Div. CUCHI RVN. UH-1H Crew Chief of the "Pinball Wizard" 68-16224. Call Sign "CENTAUR".
Baby Huey is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
JTPhoto JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,080
Images: 3
Burning that much oil will plug up the cats pretty quick for sure. The power loss as you described sounds like Cats to me as well. Also check that the PCV is not plugged. This will also cause oil burning/loss..

Did you say you were getting a pingging or strange noise as well? if its pinging (predetination), that would be bad fuel or something has caused your engine timing to go out.
__________________
Jeff _(OIIIO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB, PitBull Rockers 35x12.50x17 on BlackRock Vipers, AEV Premium Bumper,
JTPhoto JK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #21
Newb
 
fragar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 12
Thank you all for your replies... Well, here's my situation... I definitely need a new mechanic that has experience with Jeeps. If anyone knows of a good mechanic that is not out to rip any one off, then please send me their info - much obliged.

The mechanic I was going to looked at a print out of this thread. He says there is no problem with this Jeep. I put it up on the lift and I don't see any issues. He won't check the CAT or the PCV valve. It's funny that after I drove it into his lot the steering wheel locked up. He had just replaced my gear box a few weeks ago. He gets in the car struggles a bit to turn it and then turns to me and says... it's fine now... I need to start learning how to repair my own...
fragar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #22
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jp2611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Wayne IN
Posts: 6,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto JK View Post
Burning that much oil will plug up the cats pretty quick for sure. The power loss as you described sounds like Cats to me as well. Also check that the PCV is not plugged. This will also cause oil burning/loss..

Did you say you were getting a pingging or strange noise as well? if its pinging (predetination), that would be bad fuel or something has caused your engine timing to go out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Huey View Post
Mine also uses oil......( 07-jku-x 43K miles.) I changed oil to 10-30, flushed the crankcase with Sea Foam, dumped the oil. Using 10-30 Castrol Extended mileage oil ( Green Jug) this is a syn blend... Sure took care of the oil usage. It's not a complete fix, but it's better than having to dump oil all time...
I'd have to agree about your problem possibly being the Cats plugged up.....Sofar mine has good power and drivability....
Good luck !... "BH"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tab22092 View Post
If the cat was plugged i think it would throw a CEL based on emissions and also most likely fail inspection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanShepherdJeeper View Post
Could your cat converter be plugged up? When it is running is there less then normal pressure at the exhust? Any bad smell when running?

IMO these people are a lot closer to being "correct" granted different vehicle, but my TJ went through a period of "eating cats" (my fault using high octane fuel clogged the Cat(s) the key here is I never got a CEL and it drove fine around town.....For OP take it to an exhaust repair facility they can tell quickly, and it is a LOT CHEAPER than swapping motor!!!!!!!!!!!!

jp2611 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
engine , losing acceleration , power

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC