JKU Jumping ... ABS wheel speed sensor? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
LoveJiuJitsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 378
JKU Jumping ... ABS wheel speed sensor?

Here's the deal...

I was removing the rear right sway bar link while installing my Teraflex budget boost. As it released, it had a tad to much pressure, and snapped my ABS wheel speed sensor in half. Completely destroyed it. Hind sight is 20/20, yes. I should have removed it, but honestly, didn't even think or know about it.

Would this cause the Jeep to 'Jump' when put into drive or reverse? It's a 2013 Auto JKU.

Thanks in advance, all!

__________________
2012 DCR JKU Sahara - The Wife's
2013 Billet JKU Oscar Mike - Mine
~~Gimme oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year, and I'll feel fine.~~
LoveJiuJitsu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 123
It shouldn't. The only function of it should be to engage abs or not. I shredded the line with a tire after I installed a new hub, the factory routing didn't work with Moog hub, (I run 325's) all it did was flip the abs and parking brake lights.

__________________
13 JK Sport Manual trans 3.21's (stock)
Sebastian F7 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveJiuJitsu View Post
Here's the deal... I was removing the rear right sway bar link while installing my Teraflex budget boost. As it released, it had a tad to much pressure, and snapped my ABS wheel speed sensor in half. Completely destroyed it. Hind sight is 20/20, yes. I should have removed it, but honestly, didn't even think or know about it. Would this cause the Jeep to 'Jump' when put into drive or reverse? It's a 2013 Auto JKU. Thanks in advance, all!
Nope, bit it will do goofy things with your esp, and may kill cruise control.
Capndik is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-18-2013, 04:14 AM   #4
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,940
Broke a wire when doing ball joints. Dash lit up like a Christmas tree and no engine breaking. Overall the jeep drove different. Better actually.
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-18-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
LoveJiuJitsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 378
Thanks for the replies all. Any other things that would cause it to jump when putting it into reverse or drive?
__________________
2012 DCR JKU Sahara - The Wife's
2013 Billet JKU Oscar Mike - Mine
~~Gimme oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year, and I'll feel fine.~~
LoveJiuJitsu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-18-2013, 05:01 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
4DoorCrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveJiuJitsu View Post
Thanks for the replies all. Any other things that would cause it to jump when putting it into reverse or drive?
Do you mean like your engine is surging?
__________________
2012 Crush Jk sport
4DoorCrush is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-18-2013, 05:35 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveJiuJitsu View Post
Thanks for the replies all. Any other things that would cause it to jump when putting it into reverse or drive?
Is idling really high?
Capndik is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-18-2013, 05:37 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
LoveJiuJitsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 378
Not idling really high. Not sure about surging. Its fine in neutral. As soon as I put it into either Drive or Reverse, the whole thing jerks....or jumps.
__________________
2012 DCR JKU Sahara - The Wife's
2013 Billet JKU Oscar Mike - Mine
~~Gimme oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year, and I'll feel fine.~~
LoveJiuJitsu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-18-2013, 06:29 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Eastern Iowa
Posts: 927
The broken ABS line should only turn lights on and cause the system to not function as designed. Other engine run issues are possible. I would love to hear a description of this "jumping" issue.

So I just have to ask, nearly 9 out of 10 times on this forum people use the opposite spelling required for brake/break. Is there some inside joke I didn't get the message on?
Silverton34 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
C.L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North NJ
Posts: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverton34 View Post
So I just have to ask, nearly 9 out of 10 times on this forum people use the opposite spelling required for brake/break. Is there some inside joke I didn't get the message on?
The only joke here is what texting, spellcheck, and auto-correct have done to our grasp of the written language.
C.L. is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 6,535
my guess is the brakes (breaks ) are not holding solid initially so it could move when shifting from park to a drive gear.
jadmt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Eastern Iowa
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.L. View Post
The only joke here is what texting, spellcheck, and auto-correct have done to our grasp of the written language.
Ohhhh, I guess that is it. You would think the program would be a bit better. Strange, thanks.
Silverton34 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
LoveJiuJitsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 378
Ok, well, I think someone broke into my garage and worked on my Jeep overnight. Went out to record a video of what exactly the Jeep was doing, so I could post it so people could get a better picture (well, video) of what was happening.......

Yeah, it is perfectly normal now. No jumping at all. Drives great....well, minus the ABS speed sensor being gone, and not having cruise control.

Thanks all for your input!
__________________
2012 DCR JKU Sahara - The Wife's
2013 Billet JKU Oscar Mike - Mine
~~Gimme oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year, and I'll feel fine.~~
LoveJiuJitsu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
4DoorCrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveJiuJitsu View Post
Ok, well, I think someone broke into my garage and worked on my Jeep overnight. Went out to record a video of what exactly the Jeep was doing, so I could post it so people could get a better picture (well, video) of what was happening.......

Yeah, it is perfectly normal now. No jumping at all. Drives great....well, minus the ABS speed sensor being gone, and not having cruise control.

Thanks all for your input!
One of the guy I wheel with had this happen. Had some kind of sensor get wet and when it dry out it it quit
__________________
2012 Crush Jk sport
4DoorCrush is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
LoveJiuJitsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DoorCrush View Post
One of the guy I wheel with had this happen. Had some kind of sensor get wet and when it dry out it it quit
Maybe the secret mechanic snuck into his garage too! Usually I keep an eye out for deviants, but this one, I can get behind.

BTW, absolutely love that color you have. Wish I were in the market when Crush was a color option. Gorgeous.

__________________
2012 DCR JKU Sahara - The Wife's
2013 Billet JKU Oscar Mike - Mine
~~Gimme oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year, and I'll feel fine.~~
LoveJiuJitsu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC