Just ordered an Android head unit - Joying Jeep specific - Page 3 - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today



Like Tree21Likes

Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-01-2016, 12:39 AM   #61
Jeeper
 
XmentalX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 986
XmentalX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-Mike View Post
I put a post on XDA under the MTCD section, maybe someone there has an idea

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
That or a patch, that was going to be my next step if the custom rom I have downloaded doesnt already have the patch and/or fix it
__________________
On Jeep #6

91 XJ 4.0 > 93 YJ "4 Angry Squirrels" > 95 ZJ "Magnum" Limited > 07 JK Sahara > 15 JKU Sport S > 16 JK Rubicon
XmentalX is offline   Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:15 AM   #62
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,549
Blastek is on a distinguished road
Try using a smaller memory card. Seems like the software can't handle the larger memory space.

I would definitely install this in my jeep (if I didn't already have a recent pioneer unit), but I won't be installing it in my wife's Tiguan. I'm an engineer, so I'd immediately start hacking it to working like I wanted, but my wife definitely wouldn't put up with some of the issues.

I think the deal killer is the 30 second boot-up. Why don't they put a small battery in there? Hello?? That's what every phone manufacturer does! The standby current for that unit is probably next to nothing. Image if you had to reboot your smartphone every time you made a call.

__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:12 AM   #63
Jeeper
 
XmentalX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 986
XmentalX is on a distinguished road
I just recieved the software via email. It appears the use iGo gps which a few mainstream manufacturers use in their cars. I am eager to try it out just to see how well it works, its about 2gigs total for the software and maps.
__________________
On Jeep #6

91 XJ 4.0 > 93 YJ "4 Angry Squirrels" > 95 ZJ "Magnum" Limited > 07 JK Sahara > 15 JKU Sport S > 16 JK Rubicon
XmentalX is offline   Quote
 
Old 08-01-2016, 05:49 AM
Thread Starter
  #64
Jeeper
 
Mike-Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 874
Mike-Mike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by XmentalX View Post
I just recieved the software via email. It appears the use iGo gps which a few mainstream manufacturers use in their cars. I am eager to try it out just to see how well it works, its about 2gigs total for the software and maps.
I got an email with an iGo link as well. Will try it out later this week.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Mike-Mike is online now   Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:52 AM
Thread Starter
  #65
Jeeper
 
Mike-Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 874
Mike-Mike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastek View Post
Try using a smaller memory card. Seems like the software can't handle the larger memory space.

I would definitely install this in my jeep (if I didn't already have a recent pioneer unit), but I won't be installing it in my wife's Tiguan. I'm an engineer, so I'd immediately start hacking it to working like I wanted, but my wife definitely wouldn't put up with some of the issues.

I think the deal killer is the 30 second boot-up. Why don't they put a small battery in there? Hello?? That's what every phone manufacturer does! The standby current for that unit is probably next to nothing. Image if you had to reboot your smartphone every time you made a call.
I have a 32 gig on the way from Amazon, I will try it out and see how it works.

Also, Joying does have a few updates available:

https://www.carjoying.com/Joying-blog/42.html

Looks like April 14th, 2 from April 30th, and one from June.

However they don't list version numbers so it is hard to tell if I need them or not.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Mike-Mike is online now   Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:25 PM   #66
Jeeper
 
XmentalX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 986
XmentalX is on a distinguished road
I am curious, did you have the SD card in the SD slot or the map slot? Wonder if that even makes a difference. My head unit came in today the GPS adapter comes in tomorrow so ill probably get it installed then.


edit:

I will have a 32g sd card in both
__________________
On Jeep #6

91 XJ 4.0 > 93 YJ "4 Angry Squirrels" > 95 ZJ "Magnum" Limited > 07 JK Sahara > 15 JKU Sport S > 16 JK Rubicon
XmentalX is offline   Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:33 PM   #67
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Rogue26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 418
Rogue26 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by XmentalX View Post
I am curious, did you have the SD card in the SD slot or the map slot? Wonder if that even makes a difference. My head unit came in today the GPS adapter comes in tomorrow so ill probably get it installed then.


Do you have the standard stereo package or upgrade with amp/sub?
__________________
My Custom Bussman Relay Panels

Rogue26 is online now   Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:34 PM   #68
Jeeper
 
XmentalX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 986
XmentalX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue26 View Post
Do you have the standard stereo package or upgrade with amp/sub?
standard replaced with kickers the head unit comes with adapters for both now out of the box
__________________
On Jeep #6

91 XJ 4.0 > 93 YJ "4 Angry Squirrels" > 95 ZJ "Magnum" Limited > 07 JK Sahara > 15 JKU Sport S > 16 JK Rubicon
XmentalX is offline   Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:12 AM   #69
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 184
romz26 is on a distinguished road
@Mike

thanks for this thread. Once i get enough points on my cc ill have to get this headunit. As a android user/fanboy this looks like the easiest to use compared to the universal units.

does it come with a gps receiver if you have the 130?
romz26 is offline   Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:57 AM
Thread Starter
  #70
Jeeper
 
Mike-Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 874
Mike-Mike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by XmentalX View Post
I am curious, did you have the SD card in the SD slot or the map slot? Wonder if that even makes a difference. My head unit came in today the GPS adapter comes in tomorrow so ill probably get it installed then.


edit:

I will have a 32g sd card in both
I have my 128 GB Samsung EVO card in the SD card slot and nothing in the GPS slot.

I ordered a 32 GB Samsung EVO Select card from Amazon that will be in on Wednesday. Joying emailed me the link for the iGo Navigation and maps. I will put those in the GPS slot and see how it works.

I am still confused on what the difference between the two is? But when you look at Settings > Storage there is a section titled "GPS card"

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Mike-Mike is online now   Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:59 AM
Thread Starter
  #71
Jeeper
 
Mike-Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 874
Mike-Mike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-Mike View Post
I have a 32 gig on the way from Amazon, I will try it out and see how it works.

Also, Joying does have a few updates available:

https://www.carjoying.com/Joying-blog/42.html

Looks like April 14th, 2 from April 30th, and one from June.

However they don't list version numbers so it is hard to tell if I need them or not.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I found the versions listed on XDA. Looks like mine already had the newest updates:



You can see the date of update below the MCU version. So I won't be doing any updates yet.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Mike-Mike is online now   Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #72
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Barrie, ON
Posts: 22
JustPlainDave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by XmentalX View Post
I went with the $389 jeep specific, I would have gone with the $369 4.4.4 version and update it myself to 5.1 but it was going to take 1-2 weeks to arrive id rather pay $20 more for it to come sooner

I wouldn't bank on any updates from joying they have already told a number of those who picked up 4.4.4 head units that they wont be getting 5.1 without paying for a new main board to be swapped and shipped.
Have you been able to determine what major differences there are between the Kitkat and Lollipop units in terms of functionality, etc?

I plan to get one of these units, but am undecided on whether to just go with kitkat (cheaper) or lollipop.

Also, is it possible to dim/turn off the display and buttons?
__________________
Cheers,

Dave.
JustPlainDave is offline   Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:48 AM
Thread Starter
  #73
Jeeper
 
Mike-Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 874
Mike-Mike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlainDave View Post
Have you been able to determine what major differences there are between the Kitkat and Lollipop units in terms of functionality, etc?

I plan to get one of these units, but am undecided on whether to just go with kitkat (cheaper) or lollipop.

Also, is it possible to dim/turn off the display and buttons?
I have not had a Kit Kat version, but just by looking at the resellers and XDA, it seems everyone is slowly moving to the lollipop version. So I would think updates/development on the Kit Kat versions will dry up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Mike-Mike is online now   Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:52 AM
Thread Starter
  #74
Jeeper
 
Mike-Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 874
Mike-Mike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlainDave View Post
Also, is it possible to dim/turn off the display and buttons?
The display dims when the headlights come on. The buttons only light up when the headlights come on. There is an option to change the colors of the button lights, not sure if you can turn them off or not.

You can dim the screen at any time. Mine has a physical and digital button for it.

Zoom in on this pic



Top left is a physical button next to the DVD slot. Pressing it changes the brightness in increments.

And if you look at the Widget thing on the left of the screen one of the icons is a Sun looking thing that also adjusts brightness

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Mike-Mike is online now   Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:29 AM   #75
Jeeper
 
XmentalX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 986
XmentalX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-Mike View Post
I found the versions listed on XDA. Looks like mine already had the newest updates:



You can see the date of update below the MCU version. So I won't be doing any updates yet.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
hmm I wonder if the custom roms have debug turned off that wastes space gathering tombstones and is slower because logging is typically enabled full time
__________________
On Jeep #6

91 XJ 4.0 > 93 YJ "4 Angry Squirrels" > 95 ZJ "Magnum" Limited > 07 JK Sahara > 15 JKU Sport S > 16 JK Rubicon
XmentalX is offline   Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:30 AM   #76
Jeeper
 
XmentalX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 986
XmentalX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by romz26 View Post
@Mike

thanks for this thread. Once i get enough points on my cc ill have to get this headunit. As a android user/fanboy this looks like the easiest to use compared to the universal units.

does it come with a gps receiver if you have the 130?
It does, if you already have sirius you have a GPS antenna and you can buy the adapter that the op listed earlier in the thread
__________________
On Jeep #6

91 XJ 4.0 > 93 YJ "4 Angry Squirrels" > 95 ZJ "Magnum" Limited > 07 JK Sahara > 15 JKU Sport S > 16 JK Rubicon
XmentalX is offline   Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:38 AM
Thread Starter
  #77
Jeeper
 
Mike-Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 874
Mike-Mike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by XmentalX View Post
hmm I wonder if the custom roms have debug turned off that wastes space gathering tombstones and is slower because logging is typically enabled full time
What is "gathering tombstones"?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Mike-Mike is online now   Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:50 AM   #78
Jeeper
 
DavidRam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 1,510
DavidRam is on a distinguished road
Man, you guys are really getting this thing dialed in!!! This is an excellent thread!

If only FCA was watching and learning about "getting with the times" with the head units in the Jeeps!
__________________
DavidRam is offline   Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:54 AM   #79
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Rogue26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 418
Rogue26 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by XmentalX View Post
standard replaced with kickers the head unit comes with adapters for both now out of the box


I would think so to but I followed another thread where the buyer with the upgraded system was unable to get it working even with a replacement canbus adapter sent out by joying. Hopefully someone with the factory amp will give it a try to confirm functionality. I am not to far away from ordering something but am undecided between the joying and the Newsmy Cardpad
__________________
My Custom Bussman Relay Panels

Rogue26 is online now   Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:05 PM
Thread Starter
  #80
Jeeper
 
Mike-Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 874
Mike-Mike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue26 View Post
I would think so to but I followed another thread where the buyer with the upgraded system was unable to get it working even with a replacement canbus adapter sent out by joying. Hopefully someone with the factory amp will give it a try to confirm functionality. I am not to far away from ordering something but am undecided between the joying and the Newsmy Cardpad
Out of curiosity why would you get carpad? I don't see much talk of them on the forums at XDA.

RoadNavi.com was my top choice, they had excellent support and a very active forum. However they definitely said it would not work with a factory amp. I didn't have the factory amp, but didn't know how the Mopar Kicker Amp combo worked so I was afraid to bite the bullet. The fact that Joying had 2 different adapters to try and it was on Amazon is what sealed the deal for me.

Another item I was considering was In-Dash.net since it has much beefier specs, but it is very new and has some bugs to be worked out. Mainly some people had issues with Google Play Music, which is my main source of audio, so In-Dash.net was a no go for me.

Only main issues I have right now is not being able to save Offline Google Play Music songs to my SD card, but I am working on that.

Some lag, but not really a big deal, worth it for what I get. And part of me thinks clogging up the internal memory with Google Play Music is slowing it down.

I wish the Steering Wheel Controls worked to change tracks on Google Play Music, but also not a big deal.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Mike-Mike is online now   Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:12 PM   #81
Jeeper
 
XmentalX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 986
XmentalX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-Mike View Post
What is "gathering tombstones"?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
debugging crash dumps anytime an app behaves badly if user debugging is turned on (which it is in the build you showed a shot of) it creates a small tombstone dump which over time can consume a considerable amount of storage also it slows everything down as system wide logging does take resources
__________________
On Jeep #6

91 XJ 4.0 > 93 YJ "4 Angry Squirrels" > 95 ZJ "Magnum" Limited > 07 JK Sahara > 15 JKU Sport S > 16 JK Rubicon
XmentalX is offline   Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #82
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Rogue26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 418
Rogue26 is on a distinguished road
I am not a big android user but there is a 900+ page thread on the carpads as well as a xda-wiki with pretty detailed hardware descriptions. They are very open with the development community and provide a lot of ROM/MCU updates to solve problems found according to the thread. They don't have a jeep specific model so you are on your own to find the proper adapters to make it work but their support seems to be fairly active. The joying is nice because it is a plug and play unit and support has been pretty quick to answer questions by email. Only thing I haven't gotten an answer from them on is the upgrade potential to new android versions. I read on another forum that the last model required hardware upgrades in order to upgrade the android version. Which seems really strange
__________________
My Custom Bussman Relay Panels

Rogue26 is online now   Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:03 PM   #83
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 20
Big_Schitt is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know how the Connectivity Group microphone hooks up? Can I hook up the existing microphone from my 130s to the Joying?
Big_Schitt is offline   Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:08 PM   #84
Jeeper
 
XmentalX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 986
XmentalX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Schitt View Post
Does anyone know how the Connectivity Group microphone hooks up? Can I hook up the existing microphone from my 130s to the Joying?
sources point to no, I saw some tried to use it and it appears to be a powered (noise canceling I assume) microphone and without power it doesnt function. I plan on just removing the drivers pillar trim panel and clipping the microphone inside one of the cutouts for bolt access
__________________
On Jeep #6

91 XJ 4.0 > 93 YJ "4 Angry Squirrels" > 95 ZJ "Magnum" Limited > 07 JK Sahara > 15 JKU Sport S > 16 JK Rubicon
XmentalX is offline   Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:15 PM
Thread Starter
  #85
Jeeper
 
Mike-Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 874
Mike-Mike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by XmentalX View Post
sources point to no, I saw some tried to use it and it appears to be a powered (noise canceling I assume) microphone and without power it doesnt function. I plan on just removing the drivers pillar trim panel and clipping the microphone inside one of the cutouts for bolt access
I think this is correct that the existing microphone cannot be used.

I tucked mine in the pillar and didn't have to remove it, slipped right in there.





I took the dash off of course, then I did pop out the tweeter to get easier access







Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Mike-Mike is online now   Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:17 PM
Thread Starter
  #86
Jeeper
 
Mike-Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 874
Mike-Mike is on a distinguished road
So I am still feeling it out. I love the fact I have Google Maps:



And it is great for the fact it will pop up turn alerts. I always have GPS audio muted, so the pop ups are good reminders. However even though I downloaded my city, it is still kind of sluggish.

Joying sent me a download of iGo and it installs on the GPS micro SD card in the GPS slot. I don't know if it is the fact it is in that card in that slot or the app itself, but it is very fast. Meaning I can change screens and flip through menus very quickly with no lag. But I do not really like the interface.

I have never used Waze before, but I downloaded it tonight. Very fluid and fast, and the interface is pretty good. I guess that is to be expected since it is so popular. Going to try it for a few days and see how it goes.

Google Maps is great cause it already has the names and addresses of all my contacts. But it does not list the Speed Limit. But it does do the pop up the hinges, so if I had Google Play Music up and running, I still get a pop up telling me to turn. But it is very sluggish.

Both iGo and Waze show the Speed Limit, but as far as I can do not have a pop-up for turns. Also do not have all of my contacts loaded.

Also I played around with music players. I removed the iPod (since it wouldn't work right) and loaded a bunch of songs on a Samsung 64GB thumb drive. The default music player is OK. A lot of people on Android forums rave about Power Amp. I also had never tried it, but I did today and hated it. I also saw some people post about Black Player. And wow, I love it, excellent interface for the current song playing:



So that is a keeper. Still will most likely stick with Google Play Music, but it is nice to have options.



Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Mike-Mike is online now   Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:24 PM   #87
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Rogue26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 418
Rogue26 is on a distinguished road
For a general media player have you seen Kodi? I use it for my home media center which is TV/Movies but it will also play/sort music and has the ability of using add-on's like Pandora. It is what I would like to use as a front end when I get mine setup.
__________________
My Custom Bussman Relay Panels

Rogue26 is online now   Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:36 PM
Thread Starter
  #88
Jeeper
 
Mike-Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 874
Mike-Mike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue26 View Post
For a general media player have you seen Kodi? I use it for my home media center which is TV/Movies but it will also play/sort music and has the ability of using add-on's like Pandora. It is what I would like to use as a front end when I get mine setup.
I used Kodi on a Raspberry Pi. I used it to play videos and stuff in a hotel when I traveled a lot for work. I would assume it would work on these units, just not sure how optimal that would be for driving.



Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Mike-Mike is online now   Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:08 AM   #89
Jeeper
 
XmentalX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 986
XmentalX is on a distinguished road
So I got mine installed today. The igo GPS the offer is not bad gives speed output warns of speed limits and traps. Although their maps were very old I cleverly upgraded mine to the late 2015 maps. I'll test it out more once I drive somewhere other than work. I highly suggest a custom rom for it you can set home screens and have more power over the unit. My microphone clip broke first time I tried to open ended up just prying back the trim and sticking it through the pre-existing hole. I ran out of daylight but my next goal is speed up boot beyond that I am quite happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160803_224605_1470290854198.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	3184977  
XmentalX is offline   Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:14 AM   #90
Jeeper
 
XmentalX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 986
XmentalX is on a distinguished road
A few other things...

I pulled my uconnect module, I think ill be ordering a mini usb female to usb a male adapter as that allows the USB port in the center console to be used.

The custom rom fixes the issue with being unable to use external storage with google play music as it unifies everything my unit shows 70gb free which is the combined total of both my sd cards and its own internal memory.

Oh did I mention widgets? Custom rom enables them due to the being able to select a home screen, im going to play around more if the google home screen works I may use it as that is my personal favorite across all devices I love simplicity.

__________________
On Jeep #6

91 XJ 4.0 > 93 YJ "4 Angry Squirrels" > 95 ZJ "Magnum" Limited > 07 JK Sahara > 15 JKU Sport S > 16 JK Rubicon
XmentalX is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC
« Back

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner