I took my 08 JKUR out to an ORV park for the second time Sunday. A day after having it out on my hunting property traversing a small creek and a couple cornfields checking stands, cutting shooting lanes, and getting bait setup for the upcoming bow season. I had the JKUR in and out of 4H during that time and had no issues. However after arriving at the ORV park and paying my entrance fee we proceeded into the first area where there are some moderate mud holes, nothing I have not taken it through before. So before leaving the trail and dropping in I shift the JKUR into 4H which felt fine, then I shifted it down into 4L which went extremely easy and normal takes a bit of a tug. It hit me then wow that went into gear really easy but maybe I had just hit the sweet spot. So I proceeded into the hole and make it in just far enough to feel the front end sink and stop. Rear end is fully articulated over a mound of sod and the front end is buried 3/4 of the way up my 35" BFG's. My 4whl drive had never engaged and now I am in deep !@#$. Luckily I was able to winch myself out in 2H and get us back up to the entrance. The transfer case shifter had absolutely no tension and the shifter just flopped around from 2H to 4H to 4L. So thinking I had broken the cable we drove home assuming I would have to take it in for warranty work etc. I jumped online to do some research and sure enough this is a common issue with the JKs and the small white bushings on either end of the transfer case shift cable. So I go out and crawl under the JKUR and check the underside, cable is fine, bushing is fine, remove the center console and bam the bushing was fine but the cable had popped off the pin that connects it to the lever. Popped it back on and back in business.
Again, this forum proves to be priceless with the amount of knowledge shared by everyone and the willingness to help each other out.
I just wish I had known the resolution while still at the park so I could take the 5mins to fix it and continue on with our day and without the wife chewing me out for breaking something. Seems the engineers could have thought this one out a little better than using tiny plastic pieces on such a heavily used part.