Lift Kit and Tires - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
metalman101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 133
Lift Kit and Tires

So here's the deal y'all, I'm getting a Rough Country 3.25" lift with 285/75R17 Toyo Open-Country AT II's. Basically I have two questions:

1. Will I need to buy wheel spacers?

2. Rough Country mentions something about possibly having to do wheel backspacing. What is that, and will I need to do it?


I drive a 2013 JKU Sport S with the max tow package.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-785668081.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	506266  

metalman101 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,928
Opinions and reports from users vary on this. Chances are you will need spacers or the tires will rub at full lock.

You need spacers or backspacing, not both.

Backspacing is how far out the wheel's mounting point is at in relation to the width of the wheel (mounting point = that part where you screw the lug nuts onto). A 10" wide wheel with a 2" Backspacing means 8" of the wheel sticks out towards the street. A 10" wide wheel with a 9" backspace means 9" of your wheel sticks inwards towards the vehicle.

Stock wranglers have around 6" of backspacing so they sit under the fenders and larger tires may rub.

Aftermarket wheels have around 4.5" of backspace - depending on wheel width - so more of the wheel sticks out towards the street compared to stock and allows for larger tires.

Wheel spacers are meant as bandaids for too much backspacing and you don't need both.

__________________
2013 Commando Green Freedom Edition JKU
2013 Billet Freedom Edition JK
legitposter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
metalman101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 133
Thank you so much! Man that is super helpful.
metalman101 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 6,520
I can tell you that with stock rims and 285/75-75 open country at2's you will need spacers. I tried and way too much tire hitting the sway bar. I can also tell you that with a 3.25" lift you may also need to do an exhaust spacers.
jadmt is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
metalman101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 133
That's also good to know! And yeah, I'm buying the exhaust extensions from rough country.
metalman101 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
spinlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 37.9° N, 121.7° W
Posts: 3,617
A lift will make or brake the ride and handling of your Jeep. If your budget allows it you may want to reconsider the RC lift kit. That is not the place cut corners unless its a 2" BB.
spinlock is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
 
XTRyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 2,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman101 View Post
So here's the deal y'all, I'm getting a Rough Country 3.25" lift with 285/75R17 Toyo Open-Country AT II's. Basically I have two questions:

1. Will I need to buy wheel spacers?

2. Rough Country mentions something about possibly having to do wheel backspacing. What is that, and will I need to do it?


I drive a 2013 JKU Sport S with the max tow package.
There is a ton of good info in here. As someone else said, if you're using the factory wheels, you'll probably need some spacers to keep from rubbing. If you're going with aftermarket wheels, just make sure they have the proper backspacing for the tires you want to run and you wont rub.

So just to reiterate, you need spacers if you don't have the proper backspacing for the tires you're running. If you go with aftermarket wheels and have the proper spacing you won't need spacers.

Remember, the smaller the amount of backspacing, the further the wheels/tires will stick out from the fenders. That is sort of counter intuitive so I thought it was worth mentioning.

Let me know if you have any other quesitons!

-Ryan
__________________
Ryan H. | ExtremeTerrain.com Off-Road Outfitters
Toll Free: 800-988-4605 | Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM EST
Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our WranglerForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
metalman101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinlock View Post
A lift will make or brake the ride and handling of your Jeep. If your budget allows it you may want to reconsider the RC lift kit. That is not the place cut corners unless its a 2" BB.
So I've heard mixed reviews on the RC lifts. I've heard tons that love them, but I've also heard of people that say they're not good. Personally, I will not be doing a ton of wheeling, and I'm not worried about the ride of my jeep. What do you think?
metalman101 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
metalman101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTRyan View Post
There is a ton of good info in here. As someone else said, if you're using the factory wheels, you'll probably need some spacers to keep from rubbing. If you're going with aftermarket wheels, just make sure they have the proper backspacing for the tires you want to run and you wont rub. So just to reiterate, you need spacers if you don't have the proper backspacing for the tires you're running. If you go with aftermarket wheels and have the proper spacing you won't need spacers. Remember, the smaller the amount of backspacing, the further the wheels/tires will stick out from the fenders. That is sort of counter intuitive so I thought it was worth mentioning. Let me know if you have any other quesitons! -Ryan
Thanks Ryan! So I'll be running 17" Rockstar 2's. Wheel spacers or not?
metalman101 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
metalman101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 133
Will I be able to fit the 285/75R17 Toyo Open Country AT II's on Rockstar 2's on my spare tire carrier? Will it be too heavy?
metalman101 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jkjeeper06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman101 View Post
Will I be able to fit the 285/75R17 Toyo Open Country AT II's on Rockstar 2's on my spare tire carrier? Will it be too heavy?
It will fit space wise. What's the total weight of the 2? More or less than 75# stock rubis weigh that much so you can probably do a few more than that unless you frequently drive fast down wash board roads
jkjeeper06 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
metalman101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjeeper06 View Post
It will fit space wise. What's the total weight of the 2? More or less than 75# stock rubis weigh that much so you can probably do a few more than that unless you frequently drive fast down wash board roads
It weighs 35 lbs. Is that okay?
metalman101 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
jwann01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman101 View Post
It weighs 35 lbs. Is that okay?
That's the weight of the wheel. You would need to know the weight of wheel and tire.

__________________
Life, Liberty and the pursuit of anyone that threatens it!
jwann01 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC