Long cranking time? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-17-2014, 10:52 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Boss 302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Putnam County, NY
Posts: 121
Long cranking time?

Hi,

Have about 1000 miles on my 14 JKUWW. I noticed sometimes when I start it cranks for what seems like an abnormally long time (3-4 seconds) before it actually starts. One time it sputter and died after doing this, and I had to start it again.

I have an apt with the dealer to look at this, but over the phone the service writer was trying to tell me this is normal.

So my question....is it normal?

Thanks
John

Boss 302 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2014, 11:08 PM   #2
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
MTNJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Morris County, NJ
Posts: 526
3-4 seconds is not normal. Mine starts in a second or less every time.

__________________
2013 JK Rubicon - Dualtops, Full and Half Doors | AEV 2.5" DualSport XT w/ Geo correction brackets | Teraflex Monster TrackBar | 315/70/17 Duratrac's on Fuel Anza wheels | Fox 2.0 ATS Stabilizer | more... & more...
MTNJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2014, 11:12 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tonopah AZ
Posts: 307
Try turning the key on for about 5 seconds then off and on again for 5 seconds then start if this cures the problem then you have a bad check valve in the fuel pump and it takes the pump a few seconds to build up pressure
bubbabud is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2014, 06:16 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Johndeere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Springfield Illinois
Posts: 56
I have 300 miles on mine and it does the same thing. I thought since all of my other vehicles and utv's have auto start that I just wasn't holding the key in the start position long enough. The girl friend even mentioned it last night that it was hard starting.
__________________
14 JKS Black manual, hard top, 3.73, ordered 3/5 delivered 4/15.
Johndeere is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 26
I have the same issue with mine. Sometimes it starts right away and other times it cranks for 5 seconds
CovertJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Boss 302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Putnam County, NY
Posts: 121
Interesting. Today once it took 5 seconds, and I had only shut it down about 5 minutes prior. Another time today it took like 4 seconds, sputtered a bit and eventually ran normal. Very odd.
Boss 302 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: THE NORTH POLE
Posts: 3,850
It sounds like your fuel system is loosing it's prime, and bleeding back!
So it's time for a warranty trip to your Dealer...
__________________
1974 CJ5, 2003 TJ, 2013 2 door Black Rubicon

Pentastar 3.6 Engine, View, with Info!
Shaking at 40-60 MPH, Read this!!!
Are you on Santa's Naughty, or Nice list?
Old Dogger is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-20-2014, 08:20 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
MUEngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss 302 View Post
Hi,

Have about 1000 miles on my 14 JKUWW. I noticed sometimes when I start it cranks for what seems like an abnormally long time (3-4 seconds) before it actually starts. One time it sputter and died after doing this, and I had to start it again.

I have an apt with the dealer to look at this, but over the phone the service writer was trying to tell me this is normal.

So my question....is it normal?

Thanks
John
I have less than 400 miles on mine and its doing the same thing.

I have had a 2013 Wrangler Sport S automatic and a 2014 Wrangler Sport S automatic before this 2014 Wrangler Sahara automatic and neither of the other two did anything like this.

I have asked my dealer to look into a TSB or STAR bulletin for this issue and if they can't find one, then I'll be taking it in and asking them to work on it, possibly replacing the fuel pump.
__________________
Current Ride: 2014 TorRed Charger R/T AWD
Former Ride: 2014 Anvil JKS
Former Ride: 2013 True Blue JKS
Former Ride: 2013 True Blue Dart Limited
MUEngineer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 84
FINALLY!! I have been having this problem with my 2014 JKUS since I got it! I now have about 2300 miles on it. I have taken it to the dealer twice but they have not been able to duplicate the problem so I left with no fix. It only does it sometimes. I guess it is "regular" but not necessarily "frequent". It actually seems to do it a *little* bit less than it did when it was brand new. If anyone gets this fixed please let me know, I am dying to know what it is.
peterallen145 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-20-2014, 08:37 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: THE NORTH POLE
Posts: 3,850
^^^Agree, this is not normal, plus my 2013 starts at about 1/2 a crank over!
__________________
1974 CJ5, 2003 TJ, 2013 2 door Black Rubicon

Pentastar 3.6 Engine, View, with Info!
Shaking at 40-60 MPH, Read this!!!
Are you on Santa's Naughty, or Nice list?
Old Dogger is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Boss 302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Putnam County, NY
Posts: 121
Mine is going to the dealer on Wednesday. We'll see what they say but Im thinking at this point they will say its normal. Atleast Im not the only one with this behavior.
Boss 302 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-21-2014, 07:20 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 84
It's definitely not normal. I just can't get it to happen when the Jeep is at the dealer. I even went as far as trying to record it on my phone (someone else may be able to capture this). But I couldn't get one of the "good" (bad) times recorded. I am really hoping we can get this worked out.
peterallen145 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Boss 302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Putnam County, NY
Posts: 121
Just got a call from the dealer - they are overnighting a new gas tank. They said the vent valve is stuck. Supposedly there was fuel in the evap canister. Supposedly this will fix the fuel overflow issue and could possibly fix the long cranking time issue as well.
Boss 302 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 84
Awesome, keep us posted. I can't wait to figure this out. I now have hope!
peterallen145 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-22-2014, 06:34 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Ed Pursell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Allentown,Pa
Posts: 199
Agree, I got a 2012 JKU, even with the bad,cold winter this year in Pa. , mine fired right up.. Colder weather, it might "grunt" a little ( at like zero degrees ) but the starter does not/should not crank for 4-5 seconds...Keep us posted.... Just a really dumb question, you're not on the gas when you're trying to start?
Ed Pursell is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
MUEngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Pursell View Post
Agree, I got a 2012 JKU, even with the bad,cold winter this year in Pa. , mine fired right up.. Colder weather, it might "grunt" a little ( at like zero degrees ) but the starter does not/should not crank for 4-5 seconds...Keep us posted.... Just a really dumb question, you're not on the gas when you're trying to start?
No foot on the gas here.

I'm thinking bad check in the fuel pump but I could be wrong.

If the vent was stuck open like one of the other posters was then we would indeed find gas in the evap canister and that could be the cause of this issue as well.

However, I find the check valve to be more than likely the issue because if I prime the fuel pump by leaving the ignition switch in the on position for a few seconds before starting the jeep starts every time no issues.
__________________
Current Ride: 2014 TorRed Charger R/T AWD
Former Ride: 2014 Anvil JKS
Former Ride: 2013 True Blue JKS
Former Ride: 2013 True Blue Dart Limited
MUEngineer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Boss 302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Putnam County, NY
Posts: 121
I'm both skeptical and hopeful about this...we'll see in the coming days I guess.
Boss 302 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
MUEngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss 302 View Post
I'm both skeptical and hopeful about this...we'll see in the coming days I guess.
I've but a couple of tanks of gas in my vehicle and had no issue filling up so far.

Based on my last two Wranglers, this one doesn't seem to take any more gas to fill than the others so I don't think I have the same issue you have with that.

However, I have isolated the issue somewhat. When using remote start, I never have the issue but remote start waits for the fuel pump to pressurize the line and then starts the Jeep, something I don't always do.

On cold starts if I don't do the same thing the remote start does, 10% of the time, the vehicle doesn't start well or at all on the first try. This seems to validate my check valve theory. We will see what my service guy comes up with.
__________________
Current Ride: 2014 TorRed Charger R/T AWD
Former Ride: 2014 Anvil JKS
Former Ride: 2013 True Blue JKS
Former Ride: 2013 True Blue Dart Limited
MUEngineer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #19
Newb
 
ch4d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4
Glad to see this posted here. I've been searching for weeks trying to figure out why my jeep has been doing this. It's been in the shop twice and the only thing they've tried is putting sea foam in the gas tank to see if that fixes the problem. We will see... I haven't got the jeep back yet but I will update if it happens after this. Only 1300 miles at the moment...

The only difference that I haven't seen anyone else post is that twice now mine hasn't started at all on the first try but started immediately on the second try. I've got a third dealer I'm going to take it to for a few days after I record it, of course only if the sea foam doesn't fix it.
ch4d is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
MUEngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch4d View Post
Glad to see this posted here. I've been searching for weeks trying to figure out why my jeep has been doing this. It's been in the shop twice and the only thing they've tried is putting sea foam in the gas tank to see if that fixes the problem. We will see... I haven't got the jeep back yet but I will update if it happens after this. Only 1300 miles at the moment...

The only difference that I haven't seen anyone else post is that twice now mine hasn't started at all on the first try but started immediately on the second try. I've got a third dealer I'm going to take it to for a few days after I record it, of course only if the sea foam doesn't fix it.
Mine doesn't start at all on the first try half the time it struggles to start. The dash lights light up like when the Jeep actually starts and then it cranks again and immediately starts.

That's why I know that this is a problem with the fuel system and most likely the check valve on the fuel pump.
__________________
Current Ride: 2014 TorRed Charger R/T AWD
Former Ride: 2014 Anvil JKS
Former Ride: 2013 True Blue JKS
Former Ride: 2013 True Blue Dart Limited
MUEngineer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-23-2014, 09:52 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Boss 302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Putnam County, NY
Posts: 121
So the new tank is in. I was able to fill it at a gas station and not get gas spitting back out, so that's good.

As for the cranking, it still seems slightly longer than I expect, but, it hasn't sputtered or anything. Im going to keep an eye on it and see how it goes over the next few days.
Boss 302 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-23-2014, 11:00 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Peaches's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 79
Do you guys turn the key to on and let the pump prime for a second or two before you try to start? I have had several vehicles in past that I had to do this to. Plus I'm use to driving diesel so still looking for glow plug indicator after 2 months!!!
Peaches is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #23
Newb
 
ch4d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaches View Post
Do you guys turn the key to on and let the pump prime for a second or two before you try to start? I have had several vehicles in past that I had to do this to. Plus I'm use to driving diesel so still looking for glow plug indicator after 2 months!!!
I do not do this.

I've read about this in several places. Is there a specific benefit to this?

I tried to do this for a week straight at one point. I figured that if I did this and the problem didn't occur then it would most likely have something to do with the fuel pump, however, I had never done this before so sometimes I would forget to leave it in the on position for a few seconds prior to starting.
ch4d is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Peaches's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 79
It doesn't take long. You can hear fuel pump kick in. After dash lights up, give a second and turn over.
Peaches is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #25
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,796
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaches View Post
Do you guys turn the key to on and let the pump prime for a second or two before you try to start? I have had several vehicles in past that I had to do this to. Plus I'm use to driving diesel so still looking for glow plug indicator after 2 months!!!
Hardly anyone does this but I have started fuel injected vehicles like this for years. I don't wait for a solid 2 seconds but turning the key to on for a split second and then starting the vehicle, in my opinion, is the optimum way to start a fuel injected vehicle. Years ago I discussed this with experienced Corvette technicians and they recommended this method for any FI vehicle. They also indicated that it's a better procedure for the electronics. I believe their expertise.
kik is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-24-2014, 07:02 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Peaches's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by kik View Post
hardly anyone does this but i have started fuel injected vehicles like this for years. I don't wait for a solid 2 seconds but turning the key to on for a split second and then starting the vehicle, in my opinion, is the optimum way to start a fuel injected vehicle. Years ago i discussed this with experienced corvette technicians and they recommended this method for any fi vehicle. They also indicated that it's a better procedure for the electronics. I believe their expertise.
^^^x1000
Peaches is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Boss 302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Putnam County, NY
Posts: 121
So today I have been starting it exactly as described above and it starts normal everytime. I am happy at this point, all seems well.
Boss 302 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-26-2014, 10:23 AM   #28
Newb
 
ch4d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss 302 View Post
So today I have been starting it exactly as described above and it starts normal everytime. I am happy at this point, all seems well.
What codes showed up to justify them giving you a new tank?

Another issue I've had with the dealers is that I'm not getting any codes to help them figure out what the issue is. Along with my Jeep having regular crank time while it's at the dealer has kept anyone from wanting to change out any parts to see if we can get the problem resolved.

I get my Jeep back today so hopefully I won't have to experience this anymore and we can add one more thing to the possible "fixes" list.
ch4d is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: THE NORTH POLE
Posts: 3,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by kik View Post
Hardly anyone does this but I have started fuel injected vehicles like this for years. I don't wait for a solid 2 seconds but turning the key to on for a split second and then starting the vehicle, in my opinion, is the optimum way to start a fuel injected vehicle. Years ago I discussed this with experienced Corvette technicians and they recommended this method for any FI vehicle. They also indicated that it's a better procedure for the electronics. I believe their expertise.
^^^This is a good idea.......
__________________
1974 CJ5, 2003 TJ, 2013 2 door Black Rubicon

Pentastar 3.6 Engine, View, with Info!
Shaking at 40-60 MPH, Read this!!!
Are you on Santa's Naughty, or Nice list?
Old Dogger is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Boss 302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Putnam County, NY
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch4d View Post
What codes showed up to justify them giving you a new tank?

Another issue I've had with the dealers is that I'm not getting any codes to help them figure out what the issue is. Along with my Jeep having regular crank time while it's at the dealer has kept anyone from wanting to change out any parts to see if we can get the problem resolved.

I get my Jeep back today so hopefully I won't have to experience this anymore and we can add one more thing to the possible "fixes" list.
They gave me a new tank because it would spit gas back out when I filled it. They said a vent valve was stuck. I also had fuel in the EGR tank as a result of the vent issue.

Boss 302 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC