Major Jeep Malfuction - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #1
Newb
 
kward1002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Prince George, British Columbia
Posts: 6
Exclamation Major Jeep Malfuction

Thought I should share this story. Might save someone else some money in the future.

I live in Central British Columbia and thought my 2009 Jeep Wrangler should probably go to Moab, Utah. I put about 4000 kilometers on it driving down there (had to go to Vegas etc. lol) but long story short it was all highway driving. I was so thrilled to pull my Jeep onto the Schafer Trail in Canyonlands Nat. Park.

Not so thrilled when Every. Single. light came on my dash and it was flashing HOToil. Literally every single trouble light was on from the check engine, to the ESP, to the security light. Everything. Upon seeing this I immediately turned the Jeep off, kinda going into panic mode. Popped the hood, checked everything out. All fluids were fine and it didn't feel overly hot. Nothing on the ground, nothing unusual. So I went to try to start it again and absolutely nothing. Well besides all the lights coming on. Next thought was to unhook the battery, left it for hours and still wouldn't even try to turn over or do anything.

HUGE tow bill and some time later Jeep is hooked up to code reader, no codes display. Key fob no longer works (probably didn't from the beginning but it was only at this point I noticed). Assumption is that it is the computer that needs to be replaced/reprogrammed so a tow from Moab to Cortez, Colorado where the nearest dealership was.

So after they all most replaced the approx. $500 computer (price for used part) thinking that was the problem someone had the idea to investigate the Electronic Sway Bar Disconnect Module. So ya that was the problem and the part cost me well over $1500 including install. They told me it had been shorting out causing all systems to malfunction since so much goes through that module. The part had also been on an international back order and took 4 days to arrive. Oh and they told me that it WAS NOT SEALED at all and that driving down the highway in the rain could get in wet enough for this to happen. So I don't trust my Jeep anymore, ruined my trip and cost me ALOT of cash. Oh this wasn't the first thing that malfunctioned because of water. I had a wheel speed sensor go before, they too are not sealed from water. Just a heads up for those who haven't heard this before. I know I'm not the first, but certainly would've been nice to know what was going on. Also if you disconnect the module you will be able to start it, but all of the lights will remain on. That tid bit could save you a hefty tow bill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140508_174542.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	1168818  

kward1002 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #2
Merry Christmas all

5-Year WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Beastmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Old Pubelo
Posts: 24,900
Sorry for your troubles but thank you for sharing.
Hopefully someone will be able to benefit from your experience.

In the mean time, I just like to say . . .

Welcome to the forum!

Click here for helpful tips for newcomers

Beastmaster is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
spinlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 37.9° N, 121.7° W
Posts: 4,185
Welcome to the Forum and for taking the time so share the problem with your Jeep!!!
__________________
"A man has got to know his limitations."
H. Callahan
spinlock is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: between nashville and chatanooga
Posts: 173
welcome to the forum
eric0326981 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
gorillahydrographics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 1,242
I wonder if you can waterproof that module with some silicon?
__________________
2013 Billet Silver 2 Door Sport -TeraFlex Elite Long Arm with Rock Krawler 3.5" Triple Rate Coils- Yukon 5.13 Gears - Detroit Locker (front)Eaton "E" Locker(rear) - TeraFlex Flip Kit/high Steer - Currie HD Tie Rod - Smittybilt XRC Front MoD Bumper w/stinger and Crawler Conceptz Skinny Rear Bumper - XRC 9000LB winch - XRC Flat Fenders - Cooper Discovery MT 35x12.50x17 - Custom Urban Camo Grill -
gorillahydrographics is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #6
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,966
All you had to do is spend $90 on this and never have this problem again.
Off Road Evolution Jk 07-11, NoLimits Manual Rubicon Swaybar Disconnect (1087)

Sorry brother.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 10:55 PM   #7
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillahydrographics View Post
I wonder if you can waterproof that module with some silicon?
You can. You need to take it completely apart and seal it with RTV like you would a diff cover. It's on my to-do list.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
gorillahydrographics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
You can. You need to take it completely apart and seal it with RTV like you would a diff cover. It's on my to-do list.

Can that EVO setup be used on a Non Rubicon?
__________________
2013 Billet Silver 2 Door Sport -TeraFlex Elite Long Arm with Rock Krawler 3.5" Triple Rate Coils- Yukon 5.13 Gears - Detroit Locker (front)Eaton "E" Locker(rear) - TeraFlex Flip Kit/high Steer - Currie HD Tie Rod - Smittybilt XRC Front MoD Bumper w/stinger and Crawler Conceptz Skinny Rear Bumper - XRC 9000LB winch - XRC Flat Fenders - Cooper Discovery MT 35x12.50x17 - Custom Urban Camo Grill -
gorillahydrographics is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 11:08 PM   #9
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,966
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 11:09 PM   #10
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillahydrographics View Post
Can that EVO setup be used on a Non Rubicon?
Negative ghost rider. It was a product specifically made for rubi owners with busted ediscos. What you could do Im sure, is find a busted edisco, pay peanuts for it (they are worthless if busted) and swap it in.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-04-2014, 01:03 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 304
Ive got an electronic disco swaybar for sale you could have bought. very low miles, never wet.
rjacobs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-04-2014, 05:29 AM   #12
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 37,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
There's some very good points made there. Most the guys w/ more modified rigs with replace the edisco or standard swaybar system w/ a Currie AR, TF dual rate type swaybar. Disconnecting is not always the best thing to do. The stock front swaybar is awfully stiff. The aforementioned kits are less firm and still allow the axle to articulate.'
The EVO kit is good but your still stuck with the stock swaybar.
Thanks for the ideas .. The Rubi e-disco is very expensive to fix. I would be looking for a takeoff before spending $1300
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-04-2014, 09:26 AM   #13
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
There's some very good points made there. Most the guys w/ more modified rigs with replace the edisco or standard swaybar system w/ a Currie AR, TF dual rate type swaybar. Disconnecting is not always the best thing to do. The stock front swaybar is awfully stiff. The aforementioned kits are less firm and still allow the axle to articulate.'
The EVO kit is good but your still stuck with the stock swaybar.
Thanks for the ideas .. The Rubi e-disco is very expensive to fix. I would be looking for a takeoff before spending $1300
From the research I've done, unless it's really physically broken, most of the time, it's just rusty and beat up in there, so disassembly, cleaning, greasing, etc will bring it back to life. Im going to take mine apart and seal it up, to make sure this doesn't become an issue. As for the swaybar being stiff, it's not that big a deal if you're disconnected, as the function is minimal. Those guys over there running pro-rock 80s and 40s are still running the stock edisco. It doesn't seem to be a part that needs upgrading. Many of them even run the stock trackbar because they claim its one of the strongest you can get (with a moved mounting point of course.) I know some of them have a reputation on the forums, but Im an objective type of dude, and IMHO, they know their sh!t.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-04-2014, 09:26 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
eldomi809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston,Ma
Posts: 308
I am glad i saw this thread.. I've been having electrical problems lately. Dont want to hijack the thread with my issue..
But i think it maybe along the same lines.. Initially my jk started having issues where it did not want to start and seemed like a starter issue as it would take 20-30 seconds of several tries to completely turn over and on. This has stopped.

But not the MyGig now goes crazy as if there was a short circuit(screen gets all fuzzy and lines start moving around) this seems to start happening when it gets hot out. ( usually after a drive to the gym 10 miles it will be fine but on the way back home since the jeep is hot plus the spring temps it just goes haywire)

Now my sway bar light will randomly light up blink for 3-5 seconds and go away. Could it be all relates to this e-disco module? Or something else?
eldomi809 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #15
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,966
Very possible. It seems to be the cause of a lot of electrical issues.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-04-2014, 10:29 AM   #16
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
brighton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
There's some very good points made there. Most the guys w/ more modified rigs with replace the edisco or standard swaybar system w/ a Currie AR, TF dual rate type swaybar. Disconnecting is not always the best thing to do. The stock front swaybar is awfully stiff. The aforementioned kits are less firm and still allow the axle to articulate.'
The EVO kit is good but your still stuck with the stock swaybar.
Thanks for the ideas .. The Rubi e-disco is very expensive to fix. I would be looking for a takeoff before spending $1300
Yep, most of the Rubi owners I know end up ditching the e-disco altogether. The swaybar can flip, they can be finicky disconnecting, and there are just too issues with the motor in the long run. At least that's what my Rubi buddies tell me.

The Currie AR or TF dual rate swaybar is the way to go if you're going to spend that kind of cash and you wheel. The TF is on my list.
__________________
'10 JKU Mango Tango 6sp
brighton is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Paul04tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Shelby Twp. MI
Posts: 659
Images: 113
Hope you enjoyed Schafer Trail.
My wife didn't open her eyes at all. Well not until the Dump truck went past and the Road Grader pulled into a corner to let us by!

Sucks it ruined the trip.
My water pump started making noise the day we pulled into town.
I kept an ear on it and made an appointment in Grand Junction on the return trip to have it swapped out.
__________________
Bright White 2 door soft top 6 speed MOAB..
Paul04tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2014, 08:47 PM   #18
Newb
 
kward1002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Prince George, British Columbia
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul04tj View Post
Hope you enjoyed Schafer Trail.
My wife didn't open her eyes at all. Well not until the Dump truck went past and the Road Grader pulled into a corner to let us by!

Sucks it ruined the trip.
My water pump started making noise the day we pulled into town.
I kept an ear on it and made an appointment in Grand Junction on the return trip to have it swapped out.
I actually expected it was to be much worse based on what I had read before I went. I will be back down there for sure... But next time the jeep goes on a trailer so if something happens its not our only way back.
kward1002 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2014, 08:58 PM   #19
Newb
 
kward1002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Prince George, British Columbia
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post

You can. You need to take it completely apart and seal it with RTV like you would a diff cover. It's on my to-do list.
Can you also do this to the wheel speed sensors? I've had them corrode before and cause issues...
kward1002 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2014, 09:44 PM   #20
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
panourie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bourbonnais, IL
Posts: 171
Images: 10
To the OP, I feel your pain. I've had my "what the hell was I thinking with this thing" moments.

I want to point out to those who may be suffering this same problem, it can be two fold from what I've learned. The first (and easiest to deal with yourself) may simply be moisture in the disco electrical plug. I suffered it some months back and it drove me nuts. It simply started with random lighting up of the disco light. When it came on, I'd be driving 50-60mph down the road and the Jeep would downshift to the next lowest gear. When I'd realize it and see the light, it would go off as quick and all would be normal for a few days. Then it became more frequent. Weather was never a factor for when it came on, it could be clear & sunny or raining - didn't matter. Eventually it would come on while stopped at a light. When it did, the Jeep would be in first and would never shift to second. Can't tell you the number of times I'd pull off the road, engage 4LO, hit the disco, move the Jeep back & forth then the light would go off. Go back into 2WD and away I'd go.

After scouring this site, I found others who had similar problems. But I learned it was either the electrical plug itself or it was the complete module where the motor lies to disengage and reengage the sway bar. I went with the first suggestion - disconnect the electrical plug and spray both connectors with electrical contact cleaner - and a lot of it. In doing that, it would pull any moisture that might be there and clean the connections. Before plugging it in, it was then suggested to pack it with dielectric grease in both connectors. After doing all that, my problems went away.

I've read enough here to know that probably someday I'm going to have module issues beyond just the plug. If it happens while in warranty, I'll stick with what the thing came with. But the day I'm out of warranty and I have the problem, I'll again come here and review a few of the threads I earlier subscribed to on this very subject and come up with a lasting fix.

I ain't lying, had it not been for this site a couple of times in my early days owning my ride, I would have dumped it. This isn't my old 71 ElCamino I used to spend hours wrenching on and something I completely understood. There is so much electrical & computer stuff on todays vehicles, it's mind blowing. And when these little demons show up, it's like chasing your tail and can drive you absolutely nuts - especially when you take it in and get the comments your problem can't be duplicated. What I've also learned, it's not just Jeeps. Just take a look at GM over the last couple of months with their recalls & problems. Technology is awesome when it works, but it sure sucks when it doesn't.

Sorry for the rant - bottom line, this site can be a huge help when you're in a corner. It's saved my butt more than once. It may not seem like it when you're in the heat of the moment, but if you just take the time to search it out on here or ask questions, somebody's (probably more than one person) has been through what you're going through and will probably have some great suggestions.

OP - don't give up on your Jeep. Better times are ahead.
__________________
For a list of mods and some pics go here:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/jeep-profiles/40051/
panourie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2014, 11:00 PM   #21
Newb
 
kward1002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Prince George, British Columbia
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by panourie View Post
To the OP, I feel your pain. I've had my "what the hell was I thinking with this thing" moments.

I want to point out to those who may be suffering this same problem, it can be two fold from what I've learned. The first (and easiest to deal with yourself) may simply be moisture in the disco electrical plug. I suffered it some months back and it drove me nuts. It simply started with random lighting up of the disco light. When it came on, I'd be driving 50-60mph down the road and the Jeep would downshift to the next lowest gear. When I'd realize it and see the light, it would go off as quick and all would be normal for a few days. Then it became more frequent. Weather was never a factor for when it came on, it could be clear & sunny or raining - didn't matter. Eventually it would come on while stopped at a light. When it did, the Jeep would be in first and would never shift to second. Can't tell you the number of times I'd pull off the road, engage 4LO, hit the disco, move the Jeep back & forth then the light would go off. Go back into 2WD and away I'd go.

After scouring this site, I found others who had similar problems. But I learned it was either the electrical plug itself or it was the complete module where the motor lies to disengage and reengage the sway bar. I went with the first suggestion - disconnect the electrical plug and spray both connectors with electrical contact cleaner - and a lot of it. In doing that, it would pull any moisture that might be there and clean the connections. Before plugging it in, it was then suggested to pack it with dielectric grease in both connectors. After doing all that, my problems went away.

I've read enough here to know that probably someday I'm going to have module issues beyond just the plug. If it happens while in warranty, I'll stick with what the thing came with. But the day I'm out of warranty and I have the problem, I'll again come here and review a few of the threads I earlier subscribed to on this very subject and come up with a lasting fix.

I ain't lying, had it not been for this site a couple of times in my early days owning my ride, I would have dumped it. This isn't my old 71 ElCamino I used to spend hours wrenching on and something I completely understood. There is so much electrical & computer stuff on todays vehicles, it's mind blowing. And when these little demons show up, it's like chasing your tail and can drive you absolutely nuts - especially when you take it in and get the comments your problem can't be duplicated. What I've also learned, it's not just Jeeps. Just take a look at GM over the last couple of months with their recalls & problems. Technology is awesome when it works, but it sure sucks when it doesn't.

Sorry for the rant - bottom line, this site can be a huge help when you're in a corner. It's saved my butt more than once. It may not seem like it when you're in the heat of the moment, but if you just take the time to search it out on here or ask questions, somebody's (probably more than one person) has been through what you're going through and will probably have some great suggestions.

OP - don't give up on your Jeep. Better times are ahead.
Love the rant! I agree there is a ton of useful info on here! I used to drive an 86 Chev p/u. Nothing I couldn't fix in the middle of nowhere. Still getting used to so many wires and so much plastic...
kward1002 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2014, 11:43 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Hammertime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
All you had to do is spend $90 on this and never have this problem again.
Off Road Evolution Jk 07-11, NoLimits Manual Rubicon Swaybar Disconnect (1087)

Sorry brother.
LOL! No way brother! I paid for the push button I'm gonna make it work! A little dielectric grease and heat shrink go a long way...

Hammertime is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2014, 11:48 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Todd Phooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 316


Does anyone have any pictures of the connector or a write up on how to apply the dielectric grease? Since I live in a rainforest it seems like a good idea to get a head start on the issue.
__________________
$ex, Gun$, Toy$.
Todd Phooz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2014, 05:35 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
dave59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wasilla, Alaska :)
Posts: 68
Ok guys, I don't have a Rubi. I have an '09 2 dr JK. (The one in my pic) My problems started on my way to Alaska. I hit one hell of a storm around Chicago, that's when all my dash lights started going crazy! Ran fine and still does, but every time it rains it acts up, and for a short time after. All the dash lights go on and off, and the wipers will make a couple passes and even the headlights will flash if not on already. It never throws a code either. Always starts and runs fine. Any idea's for me? Really annoying me!!!

dave59 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
dash lights , rubicon , troubleshooting , wont start

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC