New Fox Evolution series shocks - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-29-2014, 09:48 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Wheelerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Middle river, Md
Posts: 563
New Fox Evolution series shocks

Does anyone have the new fox evolution series shocks, i'd like some actual real word opinions about them before deciding..

__________________
13 2dr bright white Ruby
Poison spyder hood louver
2.5" teraflex BB
Teraflex axle mount rear track bar bracket
315/75/16 Fierce Attitudes MT on 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX
Sleeved and gusseted
Wheelerbob is offline   Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:09 AM   #2
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
HunterTheBeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,084
I have the 2.0 performance series shocks on mine with my 2.5 teraflex coil lift. Not really sure what the difference between the performance series and the evolution series is (honestly seems like the aluminum house and coating on them is different not sure what else tho). I would have to imagine the valving on them is similar.

So far they have proved to be a very nice shock. They are a little on the stiff side for everyday driving (note I also have E rated tires which doesn't help) but fell pretty good overall. The jeep always feels great on rough or choppy roads (I run washboards all the time at work) I can run washboards as fast as I would like with no fade at all. I have been happy with their performance in that aspect.

With that said if I were to do it over again I would probably grab a set of rancho 9000s. The fox are just a little to stiff for my taste the adjustable option on the ranchos would solve that issue.

Its not bad enough for me to swap them out just something to keep in mind.

Hope this helps if you have any other questions I will do my best to help out.



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140730_010752.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1347282

__________________
2012 Crush JK Rubicon. Teraflex 2.5" coil w/fox shocks & 1" rear TF spacers. TF monster front and rear track bar. 315 75r16 duratracs on level 8 zx wheels. LOD armor lite mid w/engo 10000s. Lots of other goodies.
HunterTheBeagle is online now   Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:18 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
spinlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 37.9° N, 121.7° W
Posts: 4,631
The Fox Evolution shocks were introduced to directly compete with the Bilstein 5100. To reduce the price (match the Bilsteins) they are not rebuildable like the original Fox Factory Performance series shocks.

Fox makes really good shocks but the Bilstein's have been around for a while, so Fox has their work cut out for the Evolutions.
__________________
"Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive."
B. B.
spinlock is offline   Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:36 AM   #4
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
m998dna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelerbob View Post
Does anyone have the new fox evolution series shocks, i'd like some actual real word opinions about them before deciding..
I'd like to hear some feedback as well. It appears by the overviews and press releases they redesigned and re-valved the Performance Series shock to remove on-road harshness.

I would consider them if in fact they performed to my liking. I don't like harsh rides for a daily driver. I like Fox products... raced with Fox air shocks on my Maico in the 70's. Nothing compared at the time.

This new Evo series looks promising for more on-road applications.

.
__________________
2013 Wrangler JKUR10A 3.6L DOHC - MDH 032515
:: 2015 KTM 500 EXC 510cc - CLEAN suspension
:: 2002 Chevrolet G3500 LWB 8.1L - motovan
:: 1991 Cherokee Laredo 4.0L HO - resto in-process
:: 2010 Cherokee SRT8 6.1L Hemi - sold
:: 1965 Plymouth Sedan 562ci Hemi - sold
m998dna is offline   Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:04 AM   #5
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toledo
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by m998dna View Post
I'd like to hear some feedback as well. It appears by the overviews and press releases they redesigned and re-valved the Performance Series shock to remove on-road harshness.

.
Re valving will do the trick, but simply dropping the pressure will also soften the ride. You'll need a tank of nitrogen, gauges and a no loss air chuck. It's not that expensive.

Most if not all high performance shocks should be recharged every so often due to slow bleeding over time. My Kings slowly lose nitrogen. I think it's just the nature of the beast...
xxxxxxxxxxxxxzy is offline   Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:10 PM   #6
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
HunterTheBeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by m998dna View Post

I'd like to hear some feedback as well. It appears by the overviews and press releases they redesigned and re-valved the Performance Series shock to remove on-road harshness.

I would consider them if in fact they performed to my liking. I don't like harsh rides for a daily driver. I like Fox products... raced with Fox air shocks on my Maico in the 70's. Nothing compared at the time.

This new Evo series looks promising for more on-road applications.

.
If this is true that would be nice because like I said the performance shock are a bit on the stuff side. Good shock tho.
__________________
2012 Crush JK Rubicon. Teraflex 2.5" coil w/fox shocks & 1" rear TF spacers. TF monster front and rear track bar. 315 75r16 duratracs on level 8 zx wheels. LOD armor lite mid w/engo 10000s. Lots of other goodies.
HunterTheBeagle is online now   Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:34 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Wheelerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Middle river, Md
Posts: 563
Seems very little info is available.
__________________
13 2dr bright white Ruby
Poison spyder hood louver
2.5" teraflex BB
Teraflex axle mount rear track bar bracket
315/75/16 Fierce Attitudes MT on 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX
Sleeved and gusseted
Wheelerbob is offline   Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:11 AM   #8
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
m998dna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,775
__________________
2013 Wrangler JKUR10A 3.6L DOHC - MDH 032515
:: 2015 KTM 500 EXC 510cc - CLEAN suspension
:: 2002 Chevrolet G3500 LWB 8.1L - motovan
:: 1991 Cherokee Laredo 4.0L HO - resto in-process
:: 2010 Cherokee SRT8 6.1L Hemi - sold
:: 1965 Plymouth Sedan 562ci Hemi - sold
m998dna is offline   Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:48 AM   #9
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 39,565
The TF Tuned fox shocks rode nice. Prob better on a heavier rig/4 door.
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:45 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 28
I have the Fox shocks that come with the Mopar Stage 3 lift. I test drove a JKU with the Mopar stage 2 (I think it uses Bilsteins) and the Fox setup is WAAYYY better, still kinda stiff. It will be perfect once I add bumpers though. I am in love with the remote res setup and the TF speed bumps on mine. I ran a desert trail last weekend at 50mph and it was as smooth as can be The last time I ran that trail was in my 05 Nissan Titan with 6" lift and coilovers. The JK would have smoked that setup.
applejacks is offline   Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:31 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Wheelerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Middle river, Md
Posts: 563
Thanks for the info guys........
__________________
13 2dr bright white Ruby
Poison spyder hood louver
2.5" teraflex BB
Teraflex axle mount rear track bar bracket
315/75/16 Fierce Attitudes MT on 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX
Sleeved and gusseted
Wheelerbob is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:02 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
WranglerChik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTheBeagle View Post
I have the 2.0 performance series shocks on mine with my 2.5 teraflex coil lift. Not really sure what the difference between the performance series and the evolution series is (honestly seems like the aluminum house and coating on them is different not sure what else tho). I would have to imagine the valving on them is similar.

So far they have proved to be a very nice shock. They are a little on the stiff side for everyday driving (note I also have E rated tires which doesn't help) but fell pretty good overall. The jeep always feels great on rough or choppy roads (I run washboards all the time at work) I can run washboards as fast as I would like with no fade at all. I have been happy with their performance in that aspect.

With that said if I were to do it over again I would probably grab a set of rancho 9000s. The fox are just a little to stiff for my taste the adjustable option on the ranchos would solve that issue.

Its not bad enough for me to swap them out just something to keep in mind.

Hope this helps if you have any other questions I will do my best to help out.
Wish I would have seen this before I spent so much money on my lift and shocks. If I could do it over again, I would definitely get an entire kit as opposed to getting RK coil lift with Fox Shocks. Definitely not liking that stiff ride at all...in fact, for the roads in NY I find it skips entirely too much and makes me wobble side to side in my seat often.

No, not a bad shock. But I definitely wouldn't recommend it for a daily driver.
WranglerChik is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:33 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
spinlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 37.9° N, 121.7° W
Posts: 4,631
Whether you are talking about Jeeps, cars, bicycles or any other vehicle, performance and comfort are a tradeoff. The Fox shocks are clearly designed for performance and advertised as such. They do offer adjustable compression on the external reservoirs. They are also rebuildable and can be tuned with softer valving.

This is why the 9000XLs are popular. They are not really a performance shock but the have 9 settings for those that prefer a more complaint ride. Some of the TF shocks also offer good ride quality.
__________________
"Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive."
B. B.
spinlock is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
WranglerChik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 354
I am definitely and desperately seeking comfort. It would be a shame to have to take these off and sell them. Is this revavle truly possible? Can anyone do that or do I need a "specialist" mechanic.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread...but it IS about FOX shocks.
WranglerChik is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:15 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
JKUR37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Jose,CA
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejacks View Post
I have the Fox shocks that come with the Mopar Stage 3 lift. I test drove a JKU with the Mopar stage 2 (I think it uses Bilsteins) and the Fox setup is WAAYYY better, still kinda stiff. It will be perfect once I add bumpers though. I am in love with the remote res setup and the TF speed bumps on mine. I ran a desert trail last weekend at 50mph and it was as smooth as can be The last time I ran that trail was in my 05 Nissan Titan with 6" lift and coilovers. The JK would have smoked that setup.
Nice to hear they perform well at speed offroad. I just installed a RE lift with Fox remote res shocks. They are a little stiff but not that bad in my opinion.
__________________
My Jeep has a PSC addiction
JKUR37 is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #16
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 129
Images: 1
I put these shocks on with my 2.5'' RK triple rate lift, but mine are BDS revalved. They are not stiff at all on the road. For the small amount its been off road (trails and unimproved back roads) I've gone really slow, so can't comment on any harshness the Fox BDS 2.0 may deliver off road.
__________________
Build: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/20...ks-931834.html

What's a Polar Edition?
78S_106E is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #17
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 39,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78S_106E View Post
I put these shocks on with my 2.5'' RK triple rate lift, but mine are BDS revalved. They are not stiff at all on the road. For the small amount its been off road (trails and unimproved back roads) I've gone really slow, so can't comment on any harshness the Fox BDS 2.0 may deliver off road.
Both BDS and TF tune this shock well for a JK.
I can't comment on BDS but the TF ones I ran were not harsh.
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: w , mass
Posts: 19
Fox makes really good shocks , have ran them for years on my race atv's..I was looking to purchase a set for one of my jeeps soon , from what i'm reading i might have to have them revalved to soften them up a bit which is fine..I have always liked their products , i also like the rancho 9000 shocks they are on my TJ now and have been great so far..
Gates72ss is offline   Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dallas
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by WranglerChik View Post
I am definitely and desperately seeking comfort. It would be a shame to have to take these off and sell them. Is this revavle truly possible? Can anyone do that or do I need a "specialist" mechanic.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread...but it IS about FOX shocks.
Call FOX and see if they can point you to a shop near you that'll re-valve them. If you have to mail them some place, then it gets to be a hassle.
g_force_alt is offline   Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Provo, UT
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by WranglerChik View Post
I am definitely and desperately seeking comfort. It would be a shame to have to take these off and sell them. Is this revavle truly possible? Can anyone do that or do I need a "specialist" mechanic.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread...but it IS about FOX shocks.
Fox has documentation on how to revalve. It's a little time consuming but not overly difficult. You'll also need to find all of the different materials to rebuild them when you're done. Meaning oil and nitrogen and possibly some seals. It's a simple matter of rebuilding the shim stacks, testing, tearing everything apart, rebuilding again, testing, etc. So it can be a bit frustrating in that regard. But you'll get lots of practice tearing your shocks apart!
leemastergt is offline   Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
WranglerChik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 354
I will definitely mess up that revavle so I'm going to call FOX and hope they have a nearby shop in NY. Also, I'll ask my guy if he does that, but he's got a modest shop and works alone.

Thanks guys! Again, sorry for the Hijack. I forever hold my peace.
WranglerChik is offline   Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:18 PM   #22
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 39,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by WranglerChik View Post
I will definitely mess up that revavle so I'm going to call FOX and hope they have a nearby shop in NY. Also, I'll ask my guy if he does that, but he's got a modest shop and works alone. Thanks guys! Again, sorry for the Hijack. I forever hold my peace.
Somebody in the TJ Section revalves shocks.
I know his valving is highly sought after with the TJ guys.
I will see if I can find out who he is.

Fox I heard is a pain in the a** to work with. #1 reason I sold my Fox shocks. Did not want to deal with rebuilding.
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:29 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Otzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 39
yeah, one thing to look at are the bds or teraflex tuned fox 2.0 performance series shocks. my understanding is that they're softer because both those companies prefer stiffer coils and softer shocks for a daily driver setup, Metal cloak also does this so they recommend the BDS 2.0 series to as they have similar springs.

I just wish there was more reviews on them ahaha, I'm torn between the BDS valved fox shocks or the ranchos.

Otzy is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC