So you want 37" tires ... - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
spinlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 37.9° N, 121.7° W
Posts: 5,323
So you want 37" tires ...

I recently stumbled on this old link again that I read when it first came out. I thought it would be useful to some, since there has been an uptick on threads regarding 37" tires and impact of larger tires on performance and fuel economy.

Although it is a couple years old, it still applies. Most of the content has been discussed in different threads but this article provides a nice summary.

Less Is More: Jeep Wrangler JK Suspension - Jp Magazine

__________________
"Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive."
B. B.
spinlock is offline   Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
pavement princess

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 41,799
Well that's no fun

__________________
3.5' lift, 37x12.5x17 MTR. Rock Krawler custom length X-Factor arms,Teraflex,Synergy,Rancho 5000X shocks. Krawl Offroad
- General lift discussion thread. Have a question, need help, issues, selecting a kit, ask here
- My 2007 2 Door Build
Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,945
Wait....

Dump less money, mod less, and get less pointless things for the jeep?
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

You do not have a soul, you are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
ESP is offline   Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
bass4money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: tucson
Posts: 99
Jeep = just empty every pocket..
__________________
2014 2dr. silver OSCAR MIKE EDITION. Manual transmission 6cyl..
Rubicon 3.5" super flex, 17x8.5 method rims and 35" BF Goodrich tires. Body Armor Gen II doors. Custom decals. ARB twin compressor, new Spod with gauge, D2 LED's.
bass4money is offline   Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Reston, VA
Posts: 563
Very interesting article. A lot of insight...
__________________
2014 JKU||Granite Crystal||Willys Wheeler Edition
willwork4sushi is offline   Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:48 PM   #6
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
iwaxmyjimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ft. Irwin
Posts: 2,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinlock View Post
I recently stumbled on this old link again that I read when it first came out. I thought it would be useful to some, since there has been an uptick on threads regarding 37" tires and impact of larger tires on performance and fuel economy. Although it is a couple years old, it still applies. Most of the content has been discussed in different threads but this article provides a nice summary. Less Is More: Jeep Wrangler JK Suspension - Jp Magazine
It's so true. I'm still doing a 3 link front and a triangulated rear. More cost effective to go flat belly then only gain an inch going from 35s to 37s. But I'm a newb lol
iwaxmyjimmy is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:55 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
spinlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 37.9° N, 121.7° W
Posts: 5,323
Maybe the real point of the article is skip 37s and go to 40s instead.
__________________
"Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive."
B. B.
spinlock is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:57 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ponderosa Pine Country, where the Bears are hungry!
Posts: 5,201
A very interesting article.
Shimmy at lower speeds, 1/8" toe-out to correct it....
__________________
1974 CJ5, 2003 TJ, 2013 2 door Black Rubicon
Pentastar 3.6 Engine, View, with Info!
Shaking at 40-60 MPH, Read this!!!
This Attenuator, will improve your steering!
The Bear is not concerned with the needs of the Hunter!!!
Old Dogger is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:28 AM   #9
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
iwaxmyjimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ft. Irwin
Posts: 2,496
One if the biggest trends in my opinion is to big of tires for the wheelbase. You see guys all the time on a stock wheelbase running 37s. I think 35s is the biggest I would go for a stock 96" wheelbase.
iwaxmyjimmy is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 385
I take nothing from an article that promotes putting 3" coil spacers on with stock coils in order to lift a jeep instead of putting a real coil spring on it. That is just a disaster waiting to happen.
rjacobs is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
RKracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hawthorne,Ca.
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinlock View Post
Maybe the real point of the article is skip 37s and go to 40s instead.
Wish we would have gone 40's instead of wussy 37's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4151.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	1088441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4147.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	1088449  

__________________
1984 CJ7 3" lift 33" tires Hard ass ride.....(Gone)
2010 Rubicon Flame Red 2 door 2.5" 35" BFG's....(Gone)
2011 Rubicon Flame Red Unlimited.........(Gone)
2013 Rubicon Deep Cherry Red JKU 3" 35's.....
2013 Rubicon Commando 2 door (Gone)
2013 Rubicon Commando 2 door 4" Teraflex 37" BFG.....
RKracing is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Ez roller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 74
I'm running 37 , 3" wider than stock SOA 44 front 60 rear lovin the extra ground clearance , especially on the pumpkin eaters in the middle of the trail
Ez roller is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Seeuoffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 331
Love my 37". love my Prorock axles love my 4.5 inch teraflex lift love my synergy tracbar and sector shaft brace and track bar brace flipped draglink and tierod with the Reid racing knuckles and my ARB lockers and my 4.88 R&P with my 3.6 penstar. It's a blast.
Seeuoffroad is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:38 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central Ca
Posts: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKracing View Post
Wish we would have gone 40's instead of wussy 37's.

No one can look at this and say anything negative.
lando76 is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Seeuoffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez roller View Post
I'm running 37 , 3" wider than stock SOA 44 front 60 rear lovin the extra ground clearance , especially on the pumpkin eaters in the middle of the trail
You and me both. 37" tires and rolling we doing what they say can't be done.
Seeuoffroad is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #16
pavement princess

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 41,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeuoffroad View Post
Love my 37". love my Prorock axles love my 4.5 inch teraflex lift love my synergy tracbar and sector shaft brace and track bar brace flipped draglink and tierod with the Reid racing knuckles and my ARB lockers and my 4.88 R&P with my 3.6 penstar. It's a blast.
Show off
__________________
3.5' lift, 37x12.5x17 MTR. Rock Krawler custom length X-Factor arms,Teraflex,Synergy,Rancho 5000X shocks. Krawl Offroad
- General lift discussion thread. Have a question, need help, issues, selecting a kit, ask here
- My 2007 2 Door Build
Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:45 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Seeuoffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Show off
That's funny.
Seeuoffroad is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #18
pavement princess

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 41,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeuoffroad View Post
That's funny.
__________________
3.5' lift, 37x12.5x17 MTR. Rock Krawler custom length X-Factor arms,Teraflex,Synergy,Rancho 5000X shocks. Krawl Offroad
- General lift discussion thread. Have a question, need help, issues, selecting a kit, ask here
- My 2007 2 Door Build
Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:23 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKracing View Post

Wish we would have gone 40's instead of wussy 37's.
Details?
How much lift? Which tires? Gearing? Wheel spacers?
msubrave is offline   Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:08 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
spinlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 37.9° N, 121.7° W
Posts: 5,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez roller View Post
I'm running 37 , 3" wider than stock SOA 44 front 60 rear lovin the extra ground clearance , especially on the pumpkin eaters in the middle of the trail
Nothing wrong with big Jeeps as long as you have the bank roll. I had 37s on my '09 with a 4.5" lift but for my personal preferences, it just took away too much from road performance of the 3.8.

Before that when I had 35s I used to follow a relative's Jeep with 40s and I would get suckered into following his line but in doing so I had to figure out how react to the trail pretty fast. After a while and some advice from much better drivers, I never found an obstacle I couldn't clear as well with my 35s as long as I was focused on the trail.
__________________
"Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive."
B. B.
spinlock is offline   Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:55 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
Miser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: A Space Ship, in the unknown dark Galaxy!
Posts: 1,067
After reading that, I wouldn't have them work on my bicycle! But I do agree, that 37s are just to big, and will cause way to many negative issues!
There is plenty of rubber on the ground with either 33s, or 35s!
Miser is offline   Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:12 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
HDgasser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Long beach
Posts: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miser View Post
After reading that, I wouldn't have them work on my bicycle! But I do agree, that 37s are just to big, and will cause way to many negative issues!
There is plenty of rubber on the ground with either 33s, or 35s!
If you slap 37's on your wife's Sahara with a d30 and 3.21's and go bombing thru trails then of course your gonna have negative issues!!

But if you drive MY wife's Hemi powered Rubicon sitting on ProRocks and Coilovers with 37's the only negative is that she gets to drive it and not me.



HDgasser is offline   Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:54 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Seeuoffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDgasser View Post
If you slap 37's on your wife's Sahara with a d30 and 3.21's and go bombing thru trails then of course your gonna have negative issues!! But if you drive MY wife's Hemi powered Rubicon sitting on ProRocks and Coilovers with 37's the only negative is that she gets to drive it and not me.
True that!!!!!
Seeuoffroad is offline   Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:53 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Hammertime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by lando76 View Post
No one can look at this and say anything negative.
I suppose they could but that would make them self righteous ignorant a-holes. No one should tell anyone how to spend their money or what is the "right" way to roll in a wrangler.

Just sayin'.

As soon as I don't have to drive my Rubicon as a daily driver I will be going to 37" tires fo sho... I'm still torn between 4.56 and 4.88 gears... My rig does fairly well with 35"s and 3.73 gears so I'm now leaning to the 4.56... I need to make my mind up soon as I'm dropping it off at the off road shop tomorrow morning! LOL... 4.56 it is! (Just made my mind up again!)


Hammertime is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:02 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
RKracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hawthorne,Ca.
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime View Post
I suppose they could but that would make them self righteous ignorant a-holes. No one should tell anyone how to spend their money or what is the "right" way to roll in a wrangler.

Just sayin'.

As soon as I don't have to drive my Rubicon as a daily driver I will be going to 37" tires fo sho... I'm still torn between 4.56 and 4.88 gears... My rig does fairly well with 35"s and 3.73 gears so I'm now leaning to the 4.56... I need to make my mind up soon as I'm dropping it off at the off road shop tomorrow morning! LOL... 4.56 it is! (Just made my mind up again!)


A lot of highway driving......go 4.56
Mostly offroad...................go 4.88

You owe me a beer.........
__________________
1984 CJ7 3" lift 33" tires Hard ass ride.....(Gone)
2010 Rubicon Flame Red 2 door 2.5" 35" BFG's....(Gone)
2011 Rubicon Flame Red Unlimited.........(Gone)
2013 Rubicon Deep Cherry Red JKU 3" 35's.....
2013 Rubicon Commando 2 door (Gone)
2013 Rubicon Commando 2 door 4" Teraflex 37" BFG.....
RKracing is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:11 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
NYGLT56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime View Post

As soon as I don't have to drive my Rubicon as a daily driver I will be going to 37" tires fo sho... I'm still torn between 4.56 and 4.88 gears... My rig does fairly well with 35"s and 3.73 gears so I'm now leaning to the 4.56... I need to make my mind up soon as I'm dropping it off at the off road shop tomorrow morning! LOL... 4.56 it is! (Just made my mind up again!)


Whats wrong with daily driving a rig with 37s?


DSC08999 by armyalibaba, on Flickr

Oh, and you can daily with 40s also..


Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 11.10.37 PM by armyalibaba, on Flickr
__________________
"Courage Is Grace Under Pressure"- Ernest Hemingway

NYGLT56 is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:25 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
suicideking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime View Post
I suppose they could but that would make them self righteous ignorant a-holes. No one should tell anyone how to spend their money or what is the "right" way to roll in a wrangler.

Just sayin'.

As soon as I don't have to drive my Rubicon as a daily driver I will be going to 37" tires fo sho... I'm still torn between 4.56 and 4.88 gears... My rig does fairly well with 35"s and 3.73 gears so I'm now leaning to the 4.56... I need to make my mind up soon as I'm dropping it off at the off road shop tomorrow morning! LOL... 4.56 it is! (Just made my mind up again!)


If you're planning to do 37's eventually, definitely 4.88. I'm going to do 5.13 for 37's. If you do 4.56, you will want to re-gear again for 37's.
suicideking is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:29 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
NYGLT56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideking View Post
If you're planning to do 37's eventually, definitely 4.88. I'm going to do 5.13 for 37's. If you do 4.56, you will want to re-gear again for 37's.
I'm at 5.38s on 37s and I enjoy going 70 at 2600 rpms...
__________________
"Courage Is Grace Under Pressure"- Ernest Hemingway

NYGLT56 is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:32 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
suicideking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGLT56 View Post
I'm at 5.38s on 37s and I enjoy going 70 at 2600 rpms...
You have a TJ though. Apples and oranges.
suicideking is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:35 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
NYGLT56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideking View Post
You have a TJ though. Apples and oranges.
Black JK (where my jk axles came from) was on 37s prior to the 40s. With the 3.8. 75 mph at 2500 Rpms.

__________________
"Courage Is Grace Under Pressure"- Ernest Hemingway

NYGLT56 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC