Spring wedges - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
H3br3wHamm3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,652
Spring wedges

I often see spring wedges included in lift kits. What problem do they solve, and at what lift height is this problem manifest (1", 2", 3", 3.5", etc.)?
H3br3wHamm3r is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 22
Spring wedges rotate the axle housing a few degrees (generally upward) to improve driveshaft angle when lifting vehicles with leaf springs. You shouldn't see spring wedges included in JK lifts since they have coil springs.

__________________
(OIIHIIO)
wwddnnone is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
tx2whlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 336
I'm sure others will chime in on this but, from what I understand their used to keep the upper and lower spring perches parallel to each other which keeps the springs from bowing.
__________________
Ordered 3/22 Billet JKUR, Auto, Connectivity, 4.10 gears, Painted top and Painted fenders.
RK X-Factor 2.5, Bilstein 5100's, Fox ATS dampener,
Spydertrax wheel spacers, Rockhard engine & transfer case skids, F&R lower control arm skids.
tx2whlr is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:32 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
tx2whlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 336
.....used mostly on lifts with adjustable upper and lower control arms..... The control arms are adjusted to rotate the forward side of the rear axle upward to correct pinion angle or drive shaft angle.......which in turn causes the lower spring perches to rotate out of parallel with the upper spring perch.......wedges are used to correct this condition.
__________________
Ordered 3/22 Billet JKUR, Auto, Connectivity, 4.10 gears, Painted top and Painted fenders.
RK X-Factor 2.5, Bilstein 5100's, Fox ATS dampener,
Spydertrax wheel spacers, Rockhard engine & transfer case skids, F&R lower control arm skids.
tx2whlr is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
H3br3wHamm3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx2whlr View Post
.....used mostly on lifts with adjustable upper and lower control arms..... The control arms are adjusted to rotate the forward side of the rear axle upward to correct pinion angle or drive shaft angle.......which in turn causes the lower spring perches to rotate out of parallel with the upper spring perch.......wedges are used to correct this condition.
If one installed an aftermarket driveshaft (like JE Reel) to correct the pinion/driveshaft angle, would there then be any need to install adjustable upper and lower control arms (I'm speaking of a 3-3.5" lift kit) and/or spring wedges?

Nevermind, actually found the answer on Project JK's website:

Quote:
Further, these driveshafts should be used in conjunction with adjustable control arms on all lifted applications.
H3br3wHamm3r is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
jwann01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddnnone View Post
Spring wedges rotate the axle housing a few degrees (generally upward) to improve driveshaft angle when lifting vehicles with leaf springs. You shouldn't see spring wedges included in JK lifts since they have coil springs.
This is what the op is questioning.


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-730407285.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1285961

Has nothing to do with rotating the axle, but will provide a more level perch for a spring on an axle that is rotated back due to pinion angle.
__________________
Life, Liberty and the pursuit of anyone that threatens it!
jwann01 is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
WF Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 49,608
Pinion correction involves rotating the housing which can bow the coils. Some kits will move the axle back plus adjust pinion which really bows/angles the coils. Wedges are a quick fix for coil bow and/or TB clearance.
Just note .. They only do so much. In some cases relocating the factory perch or installing adjustable perches is the better option.

Here's mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2310758239.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	1286337  
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
tx2whlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Pinion correction involves rotating the housing which can bow the coils. Some kits will move the axle back plus adjust pinion which really bows/angles the coils. Wedges are a quick fix for coil bow and/or TB clearance. Just note .. They only do so much. In some cases relocating the factory perch or installing adjustable perches is the better option. Here's mine
Do you have any kind of retainer installed to keep the spring and wedge in position?
I downloaded RK's directions for the 2.5 X- factor kit so I could read thru them while I wait for it to show up.
They recommend using a hose clamp thru the spring and lower perch, seems like it could still shift around during max articulation or am I missing something ?
__________________
Ordered 3/22 Billet JKUR, Auto, Connectivity, 4.10 gears, Painted top and Painted fenders.
RK X-Factor 2.5, Bilstein 5100's, Fox ATS dampener,
Spydertrax wheel spacers, Rockhard engine & transfer case skids, F&R lower control arm skids.
tx2whlr is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #9
WF Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 49,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx2whlr View Post
Do you have any kind of retainer installed to keep the spring and wedge in position? I downloaded RK's directions for the 2.5 X- factor kit so I could read thru them while I wait for it to show up. They recommend using a hose clamp thru the spring and lower perch, seems like it could still shift around during max articulation or am I missing something ?
They sit lower then the hump. A retainer will help keep the coil retained if you're really flexing the axle.
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
spinlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 37.9° N, 121.7° W
Posts: 5,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddnnone View Post
Spring wedges rotate the axle housing a few degrees (generally upward) to improve driveshaft angle when lifting vehicles with leaf springs. You shouldn't see spring wedges included in JK lifts since they have coil springs.
Not exactly ... on a JK.

JK spring wedges are for coil springs and every JK should have 4 coils.

As others have described, the only thing these wedges rotate is the position of the bottom coil seat. When you lift the Jeep the changes in suspension geometry rotate the differential clockwise (as seen from the driver's side). This makes the coil perches rotate in the same direction so when the coils sit on the perch they bow instead of being vertical. When the coils bow they can cause interference problems with other moving parts and they look awkward. It's no way to live for a coil spring. The wedges correct this issue.
__________________
"Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive."
B. B.
spinlock is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
tx2whlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
They sit lower then the hump. A retainer will help keep the coil retained if you're really flexing the axle.
Ah gotcha, the kit I bought included front and rear spring retainers ...... Just waiting for RK to ship X-Factor.
__________________
Ordered 3/22 Billet JKUR, Auto, Connectivity, 4.10 gears, Painted top and Painted fenders.
RK X-Factor 2.5, Bilstein 5100's, Fox ATS dampener,
Spydertrax wheel spacers, Rockhard engine & transfer case skids, F&R lower control arm skids.
tx2whlr is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
H3br3wHamm3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinlock View Post
Not exactly ... on a JK.

JK spring wedges are for coil springs and every JK should have 4 coils.

As others have described, the only thing these wedges rotate is the position of the bottom coil seat. When you lift the Jeep the changes in suspension geometry rotate the differential clockwise (as seen from the driver's side). This makes the coil perches rotate in the same direction so when the coils sit on the perch they bow instead of being vertical. When the coils bow they can cause interference problems with other moving parts and they look awkward. It's no way to live for a coil spring. The wedges correct this issue.
The Eibach All-Terrain Lift Kit says it offers 3"-3.5" of lift, and it doesn't come with coil spring wedges.



At 3.5" of lift, the coil springs will bow if this kit is installed. Do you agree?
H3br3wHamm3r is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
bfschor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 425
I just ordered some wedges for my '13 with a 2.5" AEV lift. Here's what my rear springs look like now. Once my springs are straight, I'm installing some air bags so the rear doesn't sag when I'm loaded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3280192664.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	1286761  
bfschor is offline   Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:59 AM   #14
WF Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 49,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3br3whamm3r81 View Post
The Eibach All-Terrain Lift Kit says it offers 3"-3.5" of lift, and it doesn't come with coil spring wedges. At 3.5" of lift, the coil springs will bow if this kit is installed. Do you agree?
Can't say yes or no. You can always install wedges later if the coils do bow.

Hmm never seen that kit. I would not install cam/caster bolts if supplied. Opt for a set of front lower CA's or drop brackets. I think pictured is a rear track bar drop bracket (look into it, I could be wrong) If so .. I highly recommend the TF Or similar bracket that raises the track bar at the axle.
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:56 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Deacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kings Mountain, NC
Posts: 471
So I just noticed today that my rear springs bow slightly outward - not by much but there is a bow..
I have the RK 2.5 flex lift and I hear a creaking sound when going from reverse to drive that is suspension related - most likely just spring compression ?? maybe...
Anyway I was under the jeep and noticed the slight bow...so did a search and this post came up...

1. Do I need to even correct ?
2. Would I see any time of benefit ?
__________________
2016 JKU RUBICON BUILD THREAD
MetalCloak 3.5" GC RockSport lift, PSC Brawler/Skid w/Tigershark 9500 synthetic winch, LOD rear bumper/tire Carrier, Rock Hard Sliders,
Duratrac 315/70-17 on RR XHD wheels, Pioneer 4100NEX , JWS EVO 2 lights
Deacon is offline   Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:30 PM   #16
WF Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 49,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
So I just noticed today that my rear springs bow slightly outward - not by much but there is a bow.. I have the RK 2.5 flex lift and I hear a creaking sound when going from reverse to drive that is suspension related - most likely just spring compression ?? maybe... Anyway I was under the jeep and noticed the slight bow...so did a search and this post came up... 1. Do I need to even correct ? 2. Would I see any time of benefit ?
Spring bow is common. You don't have pinion correction, so it shouldn't be that bad.
Did you loosen and torque all 16 control arm bolts at ride height? I believe what you're hearing is bushing bind.
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:29 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Deacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kings Mountain, NC
Posts: 471
Mmmmmm Actually installed the lift back in October and never loosened any of the rear Control arms -- Do you think I need to now ? If that is where the sound is coming from then I will do it when I install the correction wedges.

After writing this post , I did a lot more reading and went ahead and requested an order from Quadratec for the RK correction wedges ,,, the install didn't sound that difficult and there only $25.

Any further recommendations to do while I have the jeep in the air ?

I will be installing my PS diff and changing out the rear diff fluid next weekend, so its another weekend of messing with the Jeep - so my wife says
__________________
2016 JKU RUBICON BUILD THREAD
MetalCloak 3.5" GC RockSport lift, PSC Brawler/Skid w/Tigershark 9500 synthetic winch, LOD rear bumper/tire Carrier, Rock Hard Sliders,
Duratrac 315/70-17 on RR XHD wheels, Pioneer 4100NEX , JWS EVO 2 lights
Deacon is offline   Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:44 PM   #18
WF Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 49,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Mmmmmm Actually installed the lift back in October and never loosened any of the rear Control arms -- Do you think I need to now ? If that is where the sound is coming from then I will do it when I install the correction wedges. After writing this post , I did a lot more reading and went ahead and requested an order from Quadratec for the RK correction wedges ,,, the install didn't sound that difficult and there only $25. Any further recommendations to do while I have the jeep in the air ? I will be installing my PS diff and changing out the rear diff fluid next weekend, so its another weekend of messing with the Jeep - so my wife says
I would loosen the rear control arms. Doing so will actually help in getting the coils out.
Just make sure it's on the ground when you torque them.

kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC