Stinky A/C ????!!! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-22-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
JEEPers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 87
Stinky A/C ????!!!

Guys, my a/c smells terrible for a short time right after you turn it on. Anyone else notice or have this problem? I know some a/c systems come with a filter, could this thing be foul already @ 3200 miles? I'm serious...it smells like dirty feet...NO it's not my feet

__________________

http://www.jk-forum.com/
JEEPers is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-22-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Glocker23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 38
I had something similar in my explorer for a lil while. Spray lysol into the vents and if u can get to the tubes behind the dash, hit them too. Worked for the past few months now.

Glocker23 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-22-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
JEEPers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocker23 View Post
I had something similar in my explorer for a lil while. Spray lysol into the vents and if u can get to the tubes behind the dash, hit them too. Worked for the past few months now.
thanks, i'll try it!
__________________

http://www.jk-forum.com/
JEEPers is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-23-2007, 12:42 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: League City, Texas
Posts: 66
mine smells like mildew. i have been rained on a few times.
mike79 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-23-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
JEEPers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike79 View Post
mine smells like mildew. i have been rained on a few times.
Hey Mike, you and I are practically neighbors...I'm in Crosby. Anyway, mine has never been rained in. I've only had the hard top off once-sunny day at the beach. I'm going to the dealer on Monday. It smells like something crawled in to the dash and died! thanks for the info
__________________

http://www.jk-forum.com/
JEEPers is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-23-2007, 10:07 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Glocker23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 38
well that doesn't sound too good. u sure it wasn't the chili from the night before acting up
__________________
2003 Ford Explorer XLT...in the market for a Wrangler 4 door Rubi
Glocker23 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-23-2007, 11:39 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
nregas1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: over yonder...in Tejas
Posts: 857
Send a message via Yahoo to nregas1
__________________

04 Sahara, with a lift, some stuff, and a few things, on some 33's, blah, blah, blah.
A perpetual work in progress. Too much to list, not nearly enough to matter.
My RigRater Score: 387RRv1.0 with a BOA of 18.92 (and just how exactly is this going to help me over that big arse rock?)
http://www.myjeepsite.com/nregas1

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
~ Ernest Hemingway
nregas1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-25-2007, 05:35 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
JEEPers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by nregas1 View Post

Thanks.
__________________

http://www.jk-forum.com/
JEEPers is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-25-2007, 05:38 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
JEEPers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 87
well

well I went to the dealer to get my free oil change and told them about the concern with the smell. They ran a deodorizer through the evaporator coil and rest of the system. Still didn't smell great when I picked it up yesterday. But today it is WONDERFUL, smells like a new vehicle should smell. just wanted to let everyone know in case you ever have a problem.
__________________

http://www.jk-forum.com/
JEEPers is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2007, 06:13 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 688
Please elaborate! What type of deod was used? Was it a machine, renuzit, what? Confused!

C.
jp'rs_peep'rs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2007, 06:17 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
JEEPers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp'rs_peep'rs View Post
Please elaborate! What type of deod was used? Was it a machine, renuzit, what? Confused!

C.
They used a machine, and injected it at the freon connection. Don't know what the name of it was. My paperwork doesn't say.
__________________

http://www.jk-forum.com/
JEEPers is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2007, 06:18 PM   #12
Drives by Braille

WF Supporting Member
 
AzTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: For-8-Oh!
Posts: 13,621
There is some stuff at auto parts stores that you can spray into the A/C ducts that is supposed to kill or whatever mildew and make it smell better too. Had that problem in our old Dodge Ram. Sprayed it in and all better.
AzTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2007, 06:45 PM   #13
Topless & Dirty

WF Supporting Member
 
OdhinnsChick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 981
Send a message via MSN to OdhinnsChick
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPers View Post
well I went to the dealer to get my free oil change and told them about the concern with the smell. They ran a deodorizer through the evaporator coil and rest of the system. Still didn't smell great when I picked it up yesterday. But today it is WONDERFUL, smells like a new vehicle should smell. just wanted to let everyone know in case you ever have a problem.
Do you mind saying what you paid for it or did they do it for free with the oil change?
__________________

OdhinnsChick is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2007, 12:45 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
JEEPers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdhinnsChick View Post
Do you mind saying what you paid for it or did they do it for free with the oil change?
They did it for free, along with my free oil change, and I was going to buy some touch up paint while I was there and they put that on my ticket and didn't charge me
__________________

http://www.jk-forum.com/
JEEPers is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: League City, Texas
Posts: 66
what dealer do you use?
mike79 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2007, 05:53 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
JEEPers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike79 View Post
what dealer do you use?
Deerbrook Forest on 59N in Humble.
__________________

http://www.jk-forum.com/
JEEPers is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2007, 07:39 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Gary1129's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bardwell Ky
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPers View Post
Deerbrook Forest on 59N in Humble.
We have a kit that we use at the dealership.........basically we use it ta kill the bacteria on the evap core and in the box that is causing the smell....I havent done a Wrangler yet actually...we used ta do it alot on the last generation of GM pickups........it involves drilling a really tiny hole and spaying the solution in and then sealing the hole with dum dum and running the AC...GM also has a product that coats the evap core but we rarely use it unless it just wont go away....on some of the GM stuff we also install an afterblow module which basically runs the blower motor for a few minutes after the vehicle is shut off effctivly blowing the moisture out......
__________________
Move along ...nothing ta see here


9.28.2008
Rest in Peace Gary
Gary1129 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-28-2007, 12:17 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
JEEPers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1129 View Post
We have a kit that we use at the dealership.........basically we use it ta kill the bacteria on the evap core and in the box that is causing the smell....I havent done a Wrangler yet actually...we used ta do it alot on the last generation of GM pickups........it involves drilling a really tiny hole and spaying the solution in and then sealing the hole with dum dum and running the AC...GM also has a product that coats the evap core but we rarely use it unless it just wont go away....on some of the GM stuff we also install an afterblow module which basically runs the blower motor for a few minutes after the vehicle is shut off effctivly blowing the moisture out......
Thanks for the explanation Gary, alway good to have an inside man!
__________________

http://www.jk-forum.com/
JEEPers is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-28-2007, 04:05 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: League City, Texas
Posts: 66
when i do my next service i am gonna have them take out a ding and have them take a look at my ducts. i had no idea that they could do this at the dealer.

mike79 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC