Sunrider soft top removal? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Reston, VA
Posts: 243
Sunrider soft top removal?

Just picked up my JKU last night. Came with the hardtop, and I know that I'll only ever use that. It came with a few boxes for the soft top windows and various pieces, but the actual sunrider is underneath the hardtop in the back. How hard is removing that (to sell later on)?

Any videos, pictures, or pointers is great appreciated!

__________________
2014 JKU||Granite Crystal||Willys Wheeler Edition
willwork4sushi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 21,461
It's pretty simple. Remove the hard top, then remove the soft top. If you don't remove the soft top, you risk damage to it, which isn't a good idea if you are looking to sell it.

__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Reston, VA
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
It's pretty simple. Remove the hard top, then remove the soft top. If you don't remove the soft top, you risk damage to it, which isn't a good idea if you are looking to sell it.
Ok, awesome, I'll do it this weekend in order to make sure it's pristine for selling.

Thanks!
__________________
2014 JKU||Granite Crystal||Willys Wheeler Edition
willwork4sushi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Nuke83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NW of Atlanta
Posts: 584
Make sure that when you remove it, you remove the bracket from the roll bar, not the top from the bracket.

You'll need to provide the bracket and bolt that hold it to the rollbar to the new owner when you sell it. The roll bar cover has velcro flaps, so after you remove the bracket, velcro it up and you're good to go.
Nuke83 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Reston, VA
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke83 View Post
Make sure that when you remove it, you remove the bracket from the roll bar, not the top from the bracket.

You'll need to provide the bracket and bolt that hold it to the rollbar to the new owner when you sell it. The roll bar cover has velcro flaps, so after you remove the bracket, velcro it up and you're good to go.
Would of potentially missed this. Thanks so much for the info!
__________________
2014 JKU||Granite Crystal||Willys Wheeler Edition
willwork4sushi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Bswill0311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bergen county NJ
Posts: 35
Hmm I just got my 2014 JK the other day and it came with both soft and hard top. So what I'm taking from this ...even though I'm not selling my soft top I should remove it until I plan on putting it up?
Bswill0311 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Reston, VA
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bswill0311 View Post
Hmm I just got my 2014 JK the other day and it came with both soft and hard top. So what I'm taking from this ...even though I'm not selling my soft top I should remove it until I plan on putting it up?
Yeah, because when you access the rear it's certainly in the way. I imagine if you're trying to put stuff back there that's relatively large, it could potentially damage it. I was just in North Bergen last weekend btw.
__________________
2014 JKU||Granite Crystal||Willys Wheeler Edition
willwork4sushi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Bswill0311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bergen county NJ
Posts: 35
Yeah it's def in the way haha. I just have no clue how to remove it and haven't had any time to figure it out but I'll find the time now.

I'm about 15min from north Bergen. Live right next to MetLife stadium pretty much
Bswill0311 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 41
Wow. Good info. I had no idea you could put a hard top OVER a soft top. Not that is do it but good to know.
Jyveturkey is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
fdisker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Fort Huachuca, AZ
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyveturkey View Post
Wow. Good info. I had no idea you could put a hard top OVER a soft top. Not that is do it but good to know.
It's for transport from the factory. This soft top is meant to be removed after purchase, if the hardtop is being used or to be used, if the hardtop is removed.
fdisker is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 41
I thought the tops came all boxed up from the factory.
Jyveturkey is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
fdisker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Fort Huachuca, AZ
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyveturkey View Post
I thought the tops came all boxed up from the factory.
The hardware, tailgate bar, door surrounds and windows come boxed. The top itself is install on the rollbar with the dualtop option.
fdisker is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Reston, VA
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdisker View Post
The hardware, tailgate bar, door surrounds and windows come boxed. The top itself is install on the rollbar with the dualtop option.
That's correct. Mine came with the top installed underneath the hardtop. All the hardware was boxed up in the back.
__________________
2014 JKU||Granite Crystal||Willys Wheeler Edition
willwork4sushi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 113
Recently purchased a used soft top and it came without the brackets (seller sold his jeep and forgot they were attached). Anyone know what the part numbers are for the roll bar brackets that will work with a 2014 Sport / Mopar sunrider soft top? Thanks
hypoxic1911 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 03:17 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
dwtgolden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxic1911 View Post
Recently purchased a used soft top and it came without the brackets (seller sold his jeep and forgot they were attached). Anyone know what the part numbers are for the roll bar brackets that will work with a 2014 Sport / Mopar sunrider soft top? Thanks
There have been several changes to the soft tops over the years and I don't know if these brackets have been affected by the changes or not, but it is more important when sourcing soft top replacement parts to base your parts off of the model year of the top and not your Jeep. The brackets are also specific between two and four doors.
dwtgolden is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 113
Part for 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtgolden View Post
There have been several changes to the soft tops over the years and I don't know if these brackets have been affected by the changes or not, but it is more important when sourcing soft top replacement parts to base your parts off of the model year of the top and not your Jeep. The brackets are also specific between two and four doors.
Good advice. ...it just seems weird that it's this difficult to locate: for example, quadratec only carries the part up to 2010: MOPAR 55397228AB - MOPAR® Passenger Side Soft Top Bow Bracket for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door - Quadratec

Did it change since then? Thought I would run this by the forum b4 I call Mopar.
hypoxic1911 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 41
Wow. You're right. I now remember having to take it off the guys Rubicon. My bad.
Jyveturkey is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 08:51 PM   #18
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 21,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bswill0311 View Post
Yeah it's def in the way haha. I just have no clue how to remove it and haven't had any time to figure it out but I'll find the time now.

I'm about 15min from north Bergen. Live right next to MetLife stadium pretty much
Hot Dog House.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 10:54 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
dwtgolden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxic1911 View Post
Good advice. ...it just seems weird that it's this difficult to locate: for example, quadratec only carries the part up to 2010: MOPAR 55397228AB - MOPAR® Passenger Side Soft Top Bow Bracket for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door - Quadratec Did it change since then? Thought I would run this by the forum b4 I call Mopar.
For what it's worth Morris 4x4 lists this same part number as fitting 07-12, so it may be this part has not changed and Quadratec just hasn't updated their description. I have run into that with them and other vendors in the past.
dwtgolden is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2014, 01:23 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 113
As a follow-up, I called my dealer and they are sending me what I think is the right parts.?. Part numbers: 68163704AB | 68163705AB. I'll post an update when they arrive if, in fact, they are the correct parts for my '14 JKU (which I cannot stop modding
hypoxic1911 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Fort Wayne IN
Posts: 31
This is what the brackets look like for the newer soft tops.

Nick

Jeep Wrangler 2013 Unlimited Soft Top Roll Bar Brackets Screws Mopar | eBay
bouche03 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #22
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1
I'm in the same boat. Just recently bought a 4 door and want to remove the soft top that is under the hard top. I need more room in the trunk and the soft top gets in the way. Was it easy to remove? One man job? Any tips? Thanks
Ken from OKC
Ken PT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
panourie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bourbonnais, IL
Posts: 91
Images: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken PT View Post
I'm in the same boat. Just recently bought a 4 door and want to remove the soft top that is under the hard top. I need more room in the trunk and the soft top gets in the way. Was it easy to remove? One man job? Any tips? Thanks
Ken from OKC
One man job for sure, but two would be a benefit based on it being bulky. Remove my soft top every fall before lowering the hard top back on for room in the winter. Two screws on each side on the forward roll bar and it's detached. Really easy. I use two smaller bungee cords to wrap around the soft top when it's down, to keep things together without flopping around when I pull it out. I do it myself each year and just have my wife open & close doors from the garage to the basement where i store it in the winter months.

panourie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC