Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Teraflex 3" sport S/T3 eviews/opinions

79K views 226 replies 54 participants last post by  KrawlOff-Road.com 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The teraflex s/t3 is now at the top of my list for a lift. Originally a rock krawler 2.5 x factor was planned. For its intended purpose it seems like a good bit of kit for around $2500 with speed bumps and fox piggyback shocks. Having adjustable control arms is not a huge concern until I move to the desert and get Evo's double throw down (I can dream right) If I do pick up the kit I will document the install and review it on this post.

In the meantime if anyone has this kit installed please add pictures or post how you feel about it. How does your subjective opinion think it rides on the road, handles rough terrain, etc If you don't have the kit tell us what you think about it anyway. It is very similar in design to the Mopar stage 3 kit. http://youtu.be/OVFuo3d70CE

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
#3 ·
I have the Mopar version of this on a 14 JKUR.
I did adjustable track bars front and rear, but not really "necessary", I just like having everything sitting "pretty-fied"... lol

Three things I did, that I am very glad of is aftermarket front driveshaft, and sold those stupid exhaust spacers. :)
Second was to use the Teraflex Steering Stabilizer kit to relocate the stabilizer at the same time as the kit install.
Third is the Procal from AEV. Made drag link adjustment very quick, and has a bunch of other very useful features. Like idle up for winching/airing up.

Jeep is a garage queen, so only about 2,500-3,000 miles since install. About 80/20 on/off road.

Ride is great. I had the 19/60 springs and Rubi shocks. Noticed ride is firmer, but not harsh. Handles better in the rough canyon roads, and worlds better off road in fast rough stuff, as well as the big climbs/drops.
I'm now running this with 35" S/T Maxx tires winch with wire rope, Front stinger with a Hi-Lift mounted to it, and an LoD rear bumper with a basket that gets loaded with about 50lbs of "stuff". Drops the OAH about 3/4" when loaded up for camping.
Has the "Jeep Lean" full or empty.
Hth,

#6 ·
I have the Mopar Stage III. TF claims they are different- but we compared part and part numbers and much of it is strangely familiar... I think that may have changed over the years but they're darn close. Much ado is made of the adjustable arms. Yet oddly I haven't heard of anyone needing them at install or of anyone having geometry issues. Or of having the myriad number of issues that other lifts have. (Sorry; Rock Krawler included). I've put taller springs on mine, extended lift straps etc. and she tracks straight as an arrow with no wobble 3 years (and plenty of abuse) later. If you want 37s down the road- then sure, you'd want adjustables.
If you wheel I'd plan to swap the DS at some point- especially in a JK. (More lift). The spacers will just get in the way if you have skids. But that can wait. I also changed out the bolts and installed a stabilizer kit.

FYI the speed bumps are great. But that won't turn your Jeep into a sand buggy. You'll be able to leave your other buddies behind on dirt without getting brained...but its still a big fat vehicle that'll thump you hard if you get carried away.

#13 · (Edited)
I have the Mopar Stage III. TF claims they are different- but we compared part and part numbers and much of it is strangely familiar... I think that may have changed over the years but they're darn close. Much ado is made of the adjustable arms. Yet oddly I haven't heard of anyone needing them at install or of anyone having geometry issues. Or of having the myriad number of issues that other lifts have. (Sorry; Rock Krawler included). I've put taller springs on mine, extended lift straps etc. and she tracks straight as an arrow with no wobble 3 years (and plenty of abuse) later. If you want 37s down the road- then sure, you'd want adjustables. If you wheel I'd plan to swap the DS at some point- especially in a JK. (More lift). The spacers will just get in the way if you have skids. But that can wait. I also changed out the bolts and installed a stabilizer kit. FYI the speed bumps are great. But that won't turn your Jeep into a sand buggy. You'll be able to leave your other buddies behind on dirt without getting brained...but its still a big fat vehicle that'll thump you hard if you get carried away.
Nobody is saying fixed arms are bad. We are just saying its nice to be able to adjust the front angles, especially if running a aftermarket front driveshaft AND at that height.

#20 ·
Did you do the driveshafts as well? If so, what did you go with? Thanks

#10 ·
I have a 4 door, a front drive shafts is planned but I will wait till I tear the boot. I understand the desire for the upper arms but unless I move to 3.5 springs or need some additional castor I will refrain from purchasing the uppers blind. Thanks for your input Jason. Also for you Jason if you read this, a pm would probably be better. Are you able to ship APO. Specifally items like rock rails wich may need to be broken down to two boxes for usps wieght/size limits?

#9 ·
With all due respect- have you ever seen anyone with a Mopar 3" lift complaining about alignment, wobble, geometry issues etc. when this lift is installed? I understand the concern- but isn't it possible this kit is simply designed correctly? Not saying you might not need them IF you make drastic changes down the road- or perhaps on an older Jeep that could have pre-existing conditions. But fronts can always be done later.
Perhaps they can buy the fronts from you and return them when they're not needed? ;)
Haven't seen anyone need them yet...I know 3 people that have it locally with no problems.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/mopar-stage-3-lift-kit-review-1049297.html
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/mopar-teraflex-stage-3-lift-installed-pics-145335.html

#14 ·
With all due respect- have you ever seen anyone with a Mopar 3" lift complaining about alignment, wobble, geometry issues etc. when this lift is installed? I understand the concern- but isn't it possible this kit is simply designed correctly? Not saying you might not need them IF you make drastic changes down the road- or perhaps on an older Jeep that could have pre-existing conditions. But fronts can always be done later.
Perhaps they can buy the fronts from you and return them when they're not needed? ;)
Haven't seen anyone need them yet...I know 3 people that have it locally with no problems.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/mopar-stage-3-lift-kit-review-1049297.html
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/mopar-teraflex-stage-3-lift-installed-pics-145335.html
Nobody is saying fixed arms are bad. We are just saying its nice to be able to adjust the front angles, especially if running a aftermarket front driveshaft AND at that height.
Ken is right. Not saying fixed arms are not bad. Just stating that every Jeep running this setup is not exactly the same. The adjustable arms allow you to "fine tune" the length of the arms to make sure everything is where it needs to be. Also, when doing a front shaft (or rear) the uppers allow you to rotate the pinion angles. But yes, if someone were to purchase arms from us and not need them, they are more than welcome to return them as long as they are not installed. We have no issues with that.

I have a 4 door, a front drive shafts is planned but I will wait till I tear the boot. I understand the desire for the upper arms but unless I move to 3.5 springs or need some additional castor I will refrain from purchasing the uppers blind. Thanks for your input Jason. Also for you Jason if you read this, a pm would probably be better. Are you able to ship APO. Specifally items like rock rails wich may need to be broken down to two boxes for usps wieght/size limits?
No worries. That is what we are here for! And yes we can ship a lot of things APO. Feel free to PM me or shoot me a email at Jason@KrawlOff-Road.com and we can see what your needing and what we can do to get it to you. Thank you for your service!

-Jason

#15 ·
One of the cool things about starting with just the lift is, every addition will standout on it's own merit.
Other than the driveshaft, which is an immediate benefit of not dealing with the exhaust.

Down the road the person can say objectively that adding "X" upgrade to this kit made "Y" difference in his/her application.

#16 ·
One of the cool things about starting with just the lift is, every addition will standout on it's own merit.
Other than the driveshaft, which is an immediate benefit of not dealing with the exhaust.

Down the road the person can say objectively that adding "X" upgrade to this kit made "Y" difference in his/her application.
Great point. This has me a little curious now, might have to be that guy. :)

#22 ·
My buddy has the mopar version of this lift and it is a very nice lift. Very well thought out. TF and Mopar did a good job altho I am sure it was mostly TeraFlex :) It will be interesting as we are headed to Moab in early March and last year he was basically stock and ended up parking his jeep and riding with others, this year he will rock Moab.

#23 ·
The great thing about this lift is it just works...right out the gate. I'd never wheeled before and accidentally found myself in a tall vertical V-notch my first time out. (My first purchase should have been a Cb so I'd have heard the "bypass to the right" warning). No way out/to go but up....it wasn't pretty but the Jeep made it easy (ish). I've known a lot of people that put in lifts that rub this or need to adjust that or take a few weekends to work out kinks- not so here. He'll be all flexy in Moab and love it.
A long time ago there was a big driveshaft-replacement thread -3" lifts and up. A lot of people have been on the stock DS's a good long while for DDs. If you wheel....expect sooner than later. But its easy enough to keep an eye on. I went with Tom Woods and all good with about 10K on it. The exhaust spacers interfered with my skids so it was part get a better DS/stock one might be bad/get rid of the spacers.

#25 ·
Anyone have anything to say about the ride comfort on road/daily driver? how does it do during higher speed off-roading? Nothing like Baja race crazy but I do enjoy some speed.

And is this setup upgradable to, let's say, the prerunner kit in the future?

I've been sitting on getting this lift for a while now but waiting for some feedback before I bite the bullet.

#26 ·
Anyone have anything to say about the ride comfort on road/daily driver? how does it do during higher speed off-roading? Nothing like Baja race crazy but I do enjoy some speed. And is this setup upgradable to, let's say, the prerunner kit in the future? I've been sitting on getting this lift for a while now but waiting for some feedback before I bite the bullet.
Agreed, I would like to hear about the ride quality also.

#28 ·
i am in the process of putting on this lift over the past 3 days. keep running into hiccups...but not really anything on Teraflex. Currently, i'm stuck til monday afternoon/evening because the previous owners had a hockey puck leveling kit and didnt leave the factory coil spring isolators in the rear. so, i'm stuck waiting. nobody has them anywhere in DFW till then. sucks. other minor issues i had are: 1.) one of the holes on the rear Trackbar bracket doesnt line up with the factory hole (i'll be wallowing it out i guess). 2.) getting them stupid bump stop cups on in the rear. i sanded the edge of the little rim with a file to take the paint off and sprayed with white lithium spray...says "will require some pressure". 3.) came down with a head cold after the first half day i worked on the front, so all day 2 i was moping around. luckily i had a buddy there to make up for my slack. so, i still got the rear to finish up and i still didnt install the front adjustable trackbar. i have a 2011 jku sahara, so i dont need the exhaust spacers or a different front driveshaft from what i'm aware of. I do agree that it seems incomplete without putting in some form of upper control arms. i got the teraflex kit w/o shocks and added bilstein 5100s and a bilstein 5100 series for the steering dampener. i'm going to put on a griffin steering attenuator on the drag link also. should be good times. i'll try to take some pics tomorrow of the front install if anyone is interested in seeing how it looks on the jeep.

#37 ·
I've had the lift for about 2 weeks. At the same time I added 35" KM2s. The ride on the street is very similar to pre lift, maybe a bit firmer. I don't notice any additional nose dive when braking. It probably leans a bit more in faster turns, but I don't drive that fast so it isn't noticible to me. Off road it feels great. Much smoother on those dips. Washboard roads are washboard roads. Try to find the right speed on them and it's fine. No better or worse than stock.
My Jeep is a 2dr HR, and I went with fox remote res. Shocks. I will try to post pictures.

#38 ·
my buddy had no issues on golden spike which is a challenging trail.

#39 ·
For those who've installed this kit (or same shocks), which way did you mount the front reservoirs. Use the Fox clamp or the Teraflex frame mount?

I'm liking the look of the clamp plus it would match the rear. Just not sure if there's a downside to one or the other.

#42 ·
Frame mounted is a better option

Mounting to the frame is the better idea.
The only thing keeping the shocks from rotating, is the friction of the upper rubber shock bushings. I've had the passenger side shock rotate out towards the tire on a rocky trail. Caught it before it rubbed on the tire, thankfully.
Will be remounting to the frame before the next major trail ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.