Tires causing problems? - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 90
Tires causing problems?

Just purchased a used set of tires. They have only been used for one season and very little visible wear except for on one tire.


The tires and rims that I have just purchased are 33/12.5/17 Cooper Discoverer STT's on Dick Cepek rims.

I have driven 80 km on them so far, and the jeep is pulling to the left, I have had the ESP light come on for half the ride, and after turning off the jeep and restarting it it extinguished by itself.

Also have the TPMS light flashing then on constantly, believe one of the sensers is gone on one of the tires, but have to rotate the spare in to hopefully find it.

Could the pulling to the left be caused from an alignment issue that was not seen before because the tires are now 2.5 inchs wider? or could it be the tires them selfs? also is the esp light coming on caused my the jeep pulling to the left?

Thank you
Drew

canadianwizard is offline   Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,664
It could be a balance issue and an issue with the uneven wear.

__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
mallcrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 43,762
Agree , you need to have a alignment done and rotate the tires to prevent continued wear on the one bad tire.
__________________
37x12.5x17 MTR-Rock Krawler 3.5"
Coils-custom length X-Factor arms-Teraflex-Synergy steering-Rancho 5000X shocks-Adams front DS.
My 2007 2 Door Build
General lift discussion thread. Have a question, need help, issues, selecting a kit, ask here
Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 90
Just changed out from the stock tires to these tires last night, and this is when everything started. Didnt pull to the left or anything before hand... Would wider tires cause more of a distinction if your allignment is off? My other tires do not have uneven wear on them..


canadianwizard is offline   Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
mallcrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 43,762
Certain brand tires have a "radial" pull.
__________________
37x12.5x17 MTR-Rock Krawler 3.5"
Coils-custom length X-Factor arms-Teraflex-Synergy steering-Rancho 5000X shocks-Adams front DS.
My 2007 2 Door Build
General lift discussion thread. Have a question, need help, issues, selecting a kit, ask here
Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 269
Sounds like you have a bad tire. Probably just one tire. Swap them from the left side to the right side.....NOT front to back. See if the Jeep pulls to the other side. My Ram did this last year.....bought a brand new set of GY Wrangler Duratracs and had Discount Tire install them. The truck pulled to the left bad....swapped the tires (side to side) and she pulled to the right. They ordered a new tire and she tracks straight as an arrow. You should have the alignment checked too but if she drove straight before the new tires then my bet is a bad tire. Also....how long had the previous owner drove like that....check for excessive wear from dragging the tire down the road (constantly fighting the steering).

Yes Kjeeper10 is correct....certain brands exhibit "Radial Pull"....in my experience it has been with some of the lessor known brands.
338Lapua is offline   Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
insylem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianwizard View Post
Just purchased a used set of tires. They have only been used for one season and very little visible wear except for on one tire.

The tires and rims that I have just purchased are 33/12.5/17 Cooper Discoverer STT's on Dick Cepek rims.

I have driven 80 km on them so far, and the jeep is pulling to the left, I have had the ESP light come on for half the ride, and after turning off the jeep and restarting it it extinguished by itself.

Also have the TPMS light flashing then on constantly, believe one of the sensers is gone on one of the tires, but have to rotate the spare in to hopefully find it.

Could the pulling to the left be caused from an alignment issue that was not seen before because the tires are now 2.5 inchs wider? or could it be the tires them selfs? also is the esp light coming on caused my the jeep pulling to the left?

Thank you
Drew

There is your problem.
If the tires have a noticable difrence in tread wear, they will act funny and can cause Stabality control and traction control problems. When your driving down the road, the most worn out tire will be turning faster. Traction Control and Stabality control will see this and may think that it's loosing tracktion and spining, and try to use the BLSD brakes on that tire. This would cause the vehical to pull to one side.

Also,
Uneaven tire wear, even without BLSD or Traction control ect can cause a vehical to pull to one side.
__________________
2013 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 10th Anniversary
insylem is offline   Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 90
I was able to swap the tires from the left side to the right and vice versa and its still pulling to the left so booked an alignment for sat.

Also inflated tires to 45 psi. Tires say they should be 50. And heard both. Go to what tires say and what jeep says. Didn't make a difference. Maybe a little less tire roll going around corners.

Will let u know about alignment when I do. Hopefully that is what it is
canadianwizard is offline   Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Lusus_Naturae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: OKC, missing WI
Posts: 2,912
Try less air in the tires, sometimes they track worse when there is too much air pressure - this can mean even the 'recommended' pressure is too much. Try 35psi.
__________________
2013 JKU Sport, billet, auto, 3.73, LSD, 315/75/16 Duratracs on MB 72, 10A springs, Bushwacker flatties

Sold - 2005 TJ, red, auto, 3.73, 33" Duratracs, 4" lift
Ice storm casualty in 2007 - 2003 TJ, green, auto, 3.73, 33" Duratracs, 4" lift
Lusus_Naturae is offline   Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
JKralph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: KCK
Posts: 11,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianwizard View Post
Also inflated tires to 45 psi. Tires say they should be 50. And heard both. Go to what tires say and what jeep says. Didn't make a difference. Maybe a little less tire roll going around corners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusus_Naturae View Post
Try less air in the tires, sometimes they track worse when there is too much air pressure - this can mean even the 'recommended' pressure is too much. Try 35psi.
agreed, definitely sounds like overinflation could be contributing to the problem. 50 is the MAX psi, I feel like the tires are happier closer to 30 rather than 50
JKralph is offline   Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Antonio_jku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,039
It could be radial pull

Antonio_jku is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC