To CAI or not, that is the question - Page 4 - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today



Like Tree2Likes

Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-17-2016, 07:47 AM   #91
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 107
mistert is on a distinguished road
Air Raid

I used to be a Harley wrench as well as doing mods on my own vehicles...so my experience although nowhere close to some of the members, I can easily say that a "good" CAI system will allow better air flow that results in a crisper accelerator response. The difference is not drastic enough to require re-mapping unless more exhaust or engine mods are done and even then, re-mapping is not always required. I never worried about gas mileage with the Harley's however, it does seem to increase about 1.5 - 2.5 mpg in V-6's and V-8's. I currently running an Air Raid CAI on my 2015 Wrangler. Daily drive is 14 miles to and from work. About half of which is thru town. The mileage meter on the Jeep always give me a better report than when I check it correctly at fill-ups so I'll use the real MPG....16-17mpg. If I get out on the highway and run 70 (or faster), the mpg drops to about 14-15.
mistert is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:02 PM   #92
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
kenb1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Edgewood NM
Posts: 1,394
kenb1023 is on a distinguished road
I am late getting into this but I have a simple question. I have the chance to pick up the MOPAR "CAI" for next to nothing and it is brand new, never used. Is it a decent intake and filter is my question. I plan on mating this to a custom throttle body spacer. A fellow Jeeper in my group did a similar set up and he noticed improved highway hill climbing. FYI both Jeeps are 3.8 Autos.

__________________
2007 Black JKU now known as the Black Mistress. Dynatrack PR 44 front w/RCV axles, 4:88 Gears, Eaton 4P E-Lockers, 3.5 MC Coil Lift with Adjustable CAs, Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks, 315/70/17 Micky Thompson ATZ-P3s on MB 11 wheels, XRC MOD front Bumper, Smitybilt X2O Comp 8000 Winch, LOD Gen 4 Rear Bumper, s-Pod Swith system, Amp Research Retractable Side Steps, Polly performance Suspension Bolt upgrade Superchip Programer and more
Member of New Mexico Jeep Group
kenb1023 is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:15 PM   #93
Jeeper
 
DavidRam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 1,400
DavidRam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenb1023 View Post
I am late getting into this but I have a simple question. I have the chance to pick up the MOPAR "CAI" for next to nothing and it is brand new, never used. Is it a decent intake and filter is my question. I plan on mating this to a custom throttle body spacer. A fellow Jeeper in my group did a similar set up and he noticed improved highway hill climbing. FYI both Jeeps are 3.8 Autos.
Definitely top quality and it's made in the USA (at least mine was). I love it!

They run about $320 new, what price are you getting it for?

Oh, and it sounds really good to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160619_091950644_HDR.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	3193241   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160615_133628226_HDR.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	3193249  

__________________
DavidRam is offline   Quote
 
Old 01-10-2017, 12:48 PM   #94
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: On a back road, in a galaxy far, far away
Posts: 90
TJammer is on a distinguished road
TerryC6 - Fast forward 1 year: Still happy with the Volant product? Any insights to share on performance or related?

One area I am interested is your impression of the sound of the Volant under acceleration. Is it noticeably different than when running steady RPMs?
__________________
'13 Black 'con - 2 doors, 3 peddles and a stick; RK 2.5 Max Travel, RS 9000s and naked as often as possible - Every drive is a mini vacation!

War is when your government tells you who the enemy is.
...Revolution is when you figure it out yourself...
TJammer is offline   Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:09 PM   #95
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
TerryC6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Everett, Wa
Posts: 2,158
TerryC6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJammer View Post
TerryC6 - Fast forward 1 year: Still happy with the Volant product? Any insights to share on performance or related?

One area I am interested is your impression of the sound of the Volant under acceleration. Is it noticeably different than when running steady RPMs?
I am happy with the product, no doubt about that. But a lot of that comes from just knowing I have the Donaldson air filter in there. Performance wise there was a small improvement but IMO the cost does not justify buying this system. I think it would be money better spent on a snorkel system that would provide true cold air.

I have made so many changes in the last year its kind of hard to quantify any gains. What I can tell you is I get around 16mpg combined with my current setup which I consider to be pretty good. I have hit 20mpg if I keep my speed down to 55mph.

If you jump on it you can hear the induction noise but I have also changed the muffler so it gets drowned out now. What I do remember though with the stock muffler at cruise no noise at all.
__________________
Terry

35" Baja MTZ P3's - Level 8 Tracker Pro 5 Wheels - Dynatrac ProGrip - MetalCloak 2.5" GC Suspension, 6Pak Edition - Griffin Attenuator - Artec Front Armor - Nitro Axle Sleeves - JCR Vanguard Bumpers - Poison Spyder Brawler Rockers & Bombshell Diff Covers - Hard Rock Skid's - Genesis Dual Battery Kit with G Screen - SPOD - Zeon 10-S - VisionX headlights - Traildash 2
TerryC6 is online now   Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:55 AM   #96
Jeeper
 
Cdwright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,670
Cdwright is on a distinguished road
I had a volant with the box on my jk for a while with donaldson filter and pre filter. Although it provided more protection the open filters of the mopar, etc, i put the stock setup back on as it looks to provide the best water resistance outside of a snorkel. If you off road and do water crossings, I would not play around.
Cdwright is offline   Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #97
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
TerryC6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Everett, Wa
Posts: 2,158
TerryC6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdwright View Post
I had a volant with the box on my jk for a while with donaldson filter and pre filter. Although it provided more protection the open filters of the mopar, etc, i put the stock setup back on as it looks to provide the best water resistance outside of a snorkel. If you off road and do water crossings, I would not play around.
There may be a little truth to this but without testing who knows. The stock box air intake is a couple of inches higher than the Volant but the stock box also has a hole in the bottom of the box where the Volant does not. IMO if you are doing any water crossing that are bumper depth or higher you need a snorkel.
__________________
Terry

35" Baja MTZ P3's - Level 8 Tracker Pro 5 Wheels - Dynatrac ProGrip - MetalCloak 2.5" GC Suspension, 6Pak Edition - Griffin Attenuator - Artec Front Armor - Nitro Axle Sleeves - JCR Vanguard Bumpers - Poison Spyder Brawler Rockers & Bombshell Diff Covers - Hard Rock Skid's - Genesis Dual Battery Kit with G Screen - SPOD - Zeon 10-S - VisionX headlights - Traildash 2
TerryC6 is online now   Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:05 PM   #98
Jeeper
 
steve68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: orl FL/chincoteague VA
Posts: 266
steve68 is on a distinguished road
I did the MOPAR CAI, bought used here, after I bought 35's and a 2.5 TF lift, I could tell a different in performance, really lagged in 6th, with this intake I can tell a difference, in mid range power, it revs easier and faster, in 6th it actually will pick up speed, I don't plan on creek crossings so I'm not worried about that, I'm happy with it,
steve68 is offline   Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:31 PM   #99
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 23
naderade303 is on a distinguished road
LOL 4 wheel parts wanted to charge me 900 dollars to install a Teraflex 2.5 kit


What scumbags
naderade303 is offline   Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:29 PM   #100
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 4
ChiefDoubleDown is on a distinguished road
Disclaimer: Everything im about to comment on is first hand experience with the actual part - before/after. No BS opinions. Turned many off the lot cars into street racers.

I bought the Volant 176366 PowerCore CAI for my 2015 sahara as a 4th mod (others being 4" lift kit, 35" tires and re-gear from 3.21 to 4.56) . Heres my impressions:

1. Sound is fantastic. If for anything else this can be a bargain replacement for replacing your stock muffler with an aftermarket growler. the stock muffler is not the restrictive air flow source you are lead to believe.

2. Your gains will be at the upper end of the RPM curve. The slightly increased throttle response gives the illusion of a faster Jeep. I would rather have a jeep that "feels" faster than one then one that slips on a 1/4 mile minutely faster. Its a Jeep not a flippin Corvette!

3. Never in the history of any sanctioned racing sport has a stock airbox EVER been present in a car. They DO make a difference even without a tune. A tune enhances it further obviously.

4. Donaldson built filter is top of the market filtration and quality.

Conclusion: worth it for the sound quality and slightly improved response. Cheaper than a muffler swap and built for longevity.

off topic...the BEST bang for the buck mod (sans S/C and re-gearing) is the Pedal Commander - PERIOD. Its all about throttle response on a sluggish trolling Jeep and this delivers. If you say otherwise, you havent any real world experience wit it and should just shut the hell up ;o)

Hope that helps!
ChiefDoubleDown is offline   Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:30 PM   #101
Jeeper
 
Tbranella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 25
Tbranella is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefDoubleDown View Post
Disclaimer: Everything im about to comment on is first hand experience with the actual part - before/after. No BS opinions. Turned many off the lot cars into street racers.

I bought the Volant 176366 PowerCore CAI for my 2015 sahara as a 4th mod (others being 4" lift kit, 35" tires and re-gear from 3.21 to 4.56) . Heres my impressions:

1. Sound is fantastic. If for anything else this can be a bargain replacement for replacing your stock muffler with an aftermarket growler. the stock muffler is not the restrictive air flow source you are lead to believe.

2. Your gains will be at the upper end of the RPM curve. The slightly increased throttle response gives the illusion of a faster Jeep. I would rather have a jeep that "feels" faster than one then one that slips on a 1/4 mile minutely faster. Its a Jeep not a flippin Corvette!

3. Never in the history of any sanctioned racing sport has a stock airbox EVER been present in a car. They DO make a difference even without a tune. A tune enhances it further obviously.

4. Donaldson built filter is top of the market filtration and quality.

Conclusion: worth it for the sound quality and slightly improved response. Cheaper than a muffler swap and built for longevity.

off topic...the BEST bang for the buck mod (sans S/C and re-gearing) is the Pedal Commander - PERIOD. Its all about throttle response on a sluggish trolling Jeep and this delivers. If you say otherwise, you havent any real world experience wit it and should just shut the hell up ;o)

Hope that helps!
ok... need more info on your experience with the pedal commander!
Tbranella is offline   Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:40 AM   #102
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 4
ChiefDoubleDown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbranella View Post
ok... need more info on your experience with the pedal commander!
Hi....

Its a plug and play device that hooks directly above the go pedal. Basically an interceptor of throttle response signals. Theres no ECM changes or warranty concerns since it can be hidden or unplugged (although getting to the connector requires you to do some serious yoga twists).

Its got 4 main settings - eco, city, sport, race and each one of those has 8 sub settings, so 32 in all. Has a small interface with 2 buttons and automatically turns on and shuts off with the Jeep (HUGE bonus). "Race" mode is actually a little too much response!

The change is instant and VERY noticeable - so much so that I would put it #1 item for a better Jeep driving experience (sans a S/C). They make it for other vehicles as well, just cant name them off the top of my head.

Runs $300 bucks - theres a $20 coupon floating around out there on the web. Yea, its pricey, but worth every penny for a Jeep. With so many crap parts out there, nice to actually have one that delivers.
ChiefDoubleDown is offline   Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:57 AM   #103
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 4
ChiefDoubleDown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefDoubleDown View Post
Hi....

Its a plug and play device that hooks directly above the go pedal. Basically an interceptor of throttle response signals. Theres no ECM changes or warranty concerns since it can be hidden or unplugged (although getting to the connector requires you to do some serious yoga twists).

Its got 4 main settings - eco, city, sport, race and each one of those has 8 sub settings, so 32 in all. Has a small interface with 2 buttons and automatically turns on and shuts off with the Jeep (HUGE bonus). "Race" mode is actually a little too much response!

The change is instant and VERY noticeable - so much so that I would put it #1 item for a better Jeep driving experience (sans a S/C). They make it for other vehicles as well, just cant name them off the top of my head.

Runs $300 bucks - theres a $20 coupon floating around out there on the web. Yea, its pricey, but worth every penny for a Jeep. With so many crap parts out there, nice to actually have one that delivers.
Just to add to this - for those off-roaders concerned about water getting into an aftermarket CAI, the Pedal Commander is a far better option if looking for overall performance. Between a snorkel and CAI, you are paying a lot more for far less "buck bang".
ChiefDoubleDown is offline   Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:09 PM   #104
Jeeper
 
Tbranella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 25
Tbranella is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefDoubleDown View Post
Hi....

Its a plug and play device that hooks directly above the go pedal. Basically an interceptor of throttle response signals. Theres no ECM changes or warranty concerns since it can be hidden or unplugged (although getting to the connector requires you to do some serious yoga twists).

Its got 4 main settings - eco, city, sport, race and each one of those has 8 sub settings, so 32 in all. Has a small interface with 2 buttons and automatically turns on and shuts off with the Jeep (HUGE bonus). "Race" mode is actually a little too much response!

The change is instant and VERY noticeable - so much so that I would put it #1 item for a better Jeep driving experience (sans a S/C). They make it for other vehicles as well, just cant name them off the top of my head.

Runs $300 bucks - theres a $20 coupon floating around out there on the web. Yea, its pricey, but worth every penny for a Jeep. With so many crap parts out there, nice to actually have one that delivers.

Thanks!
Just ordered one off their website for $40.00 off the $299.00 price.
Tbranella is offline   Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:49 AM   #105
Jeeper
 
Monk4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 89
Monk4Life is on a distinguished road
Isn't this the same thing you can do with a Superchips tuner? It has adjustable pedal response and when set to the Superchips recommended setting its night and day difference.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Monk4Life is offline   Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:40 AM   #106
Jeeper
 
landoawd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Posts: 370
landoawd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk4Life View Post
Isn't this the same thing you can do with a Superchips tuner? It has adjustable pedal response and when set to the Superchips recommended setting its night and day difference.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Several products can snatch the voltage to the DBW and lie about the throttle position.
Pedal Commander...Sprint Booster...
__________________
Lando
'16 JKU
landoawd is offline   Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:23 PM   #107
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 4
ChiefDoubleDown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk4Life View Post
Isn't this the same thing you can do with a Superchips tuner? It has adjustable pedal response and when set to the Superchips recommended setting its night and day difference.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I had anything but a 15-16 jeep would have gone tuner instead for sure. Being that those model years have encrypted ECUs, didnt want to do the whole ECU swap method. Around $800-900 bucks.

Superchips does the send in and swap method, Diablosport has an option to send you a 2nd ECU so you can keep the original - more expensive but great for warranty repairs/backup. Anything prior to 15 and you can do pretty much whatever you want with unrestricted Tuning.

This seems to be the future tend for the newer cars to keep the tuning happy out of the system - lots of shops around here arent happy about it.
ChiefDoubleDown is offline   Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:20 PM   #108
Jeeper
 
sierralx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 27
sierralx is on a distinguished road
If you install a CAI don't throw your original intake box, you will need it in the future if you decide to install a snorkel! :P
RubiDi likes this.
sierralx is offline   Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:07 PM   #109
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
TerryC6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Everett, Wa
Posts: 2,158
TerryC6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierralx View Post
If you install a CAI don't throw your original intake box, you will need it in the future if you decide to install a snorkel! :P
Yep, in fact that is what I am doing in the next week or so. I'm not getting the snorkel just yet but I am planning it within the year. It is time for a tuneup so I am swapping the stock system back in.
__________________
Terry

35" Baja MTZ P3's - Level 8 Tracker Pro 5 Wheels - Dynatrac ProGrip - MetalCloak 2.5" GC Suspension, 6Pak Edition - Griffin Attenuator - Artec Front Armor - Nitro Axle Sleeves - JCR Vanguard Bumpers - Poison Spyder Brawler Rockers & Bombshell Diff Covers - Hard Rock Skid's - Genesis Dual Battery Kit with G Screen - SPOD - Zeon 10-S - VisionX headlights - Traildash 2
TerryC6 is online now   Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:02 AM   #110
Jeeper
 
sierralx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 27
sierralx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
Definitely top quality and it's made in the USA (at least mine was). I love it!

They run about $320 new, what price are you getting it for?

Oh, and it sounds really good to.
WOW
DavidRam likes this.
sierralx is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:11 AM   #111
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RoadiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 5,527
RoadiJeff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierralx View Post
If you install a CAI don't throw your original intake box, you will need it in the future if you decide to install a snorkel! :P
Or if you have to visit the dealer for any engine related warranty work.
RoadiJeff is offline   Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:34 PM   #112
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 22
RubiDi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierralx View Post
If you install a CAI don't throw your original intake box, you will need it in the future if you decide to install a snorkel! :P
Thanks for the tip. I even purchased an additional air temp sensor so I wouldn't need to keep moving it in and out.
RubiDi is offline   Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:44 PM   #113
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 22
RubiDi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbranella View Post
Thanks!
Just ordered one off their website for $40.00 off the $299.00 price.
What website and can you share coupon code, or is it single use? Thanks!

RubiDi is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC
« Back

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner