Trailer Hitch Bolt Torque - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
wmshay6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Absurdistan AKA- MD
Posts: 436
I searched but came up empty . . . A buddy gave me a factory hitch for my JKU so I can tow my camper. Anyone know the torque specs on the bolts? (Or should I just go gorilla style on it?) Hopefully santa brings me a torque wrench and 7-pin harness. I ordered 3.73 gears but didn't get the whole package b/c it went up to $800 and the 4 pin wiring is no good for my needs.

__________________
2014 JKU Sport
Granite Crystal
6- Speed
3.73, Premium Soft Top, Premium Audio, Connectivity
wmshay6 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
JTE
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Grosse Ile, Mi
Posts: 204
The instructions with my Q tec hitch specified 80 ft lb.

JTE is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
JerryJeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lakewood Ranch
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmshay6 View Post
I searched but came up empty . . . A buddy gave me a factory hitch for my JKU so I can tow my camper. Anyone know the torque specs on the bolts? (Or should I just go gorilla style on it?) Hopefully santa brings me a torque wrench and 7-pin harness. I ordered 3.73 gears but didn't get the whole package b/c it went up to $800 and the 4 pin wiring is no good for my needs.
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...s#framebumpers
JerryJeepster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
JerryJeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lakewood Ranch
Posts: 1,307
Look under the frame section. It shows Torque @ 60lbs however my instructions for the Quadratec hitch was 80ft lbs.
JerryJeepster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Tweak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 2,189
tight enough that it isnt going anywhere. I just used an impact.
Tweak is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Txrdstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmshay6 View Post
I searched but came up empty . . . A buddy gave me a factory hitch for my JKU so I can tow my camper. Anyone know the torque specs on the bolts? (Or should I just go gorilla style on it?) Hopefully santa brings me a torque wrench and 7-pin harness. I ordered 3.73 gears but didn't get the whole package b/c it went up to $800 and the 4 pin wiring is no good for my needs.
T I G H T, seriously, this is one of those things good and tight will do, no need to worry about torque.
Txrdstr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
bc3_Jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NE corner of Iowa
Posts: 1,599
This depends ENTIRELY on what grade of bolt you are using. KNOW what grade of hardware you are using.....if you do not know what grade they are.... throw them away and get correct grade.

This TIGHT crap is for amateurs and ne'er do wells. If you cannot find a spec, go to a generic chart online, there are 100s of them out there.

Steel Bolt Torque Specifications Table - Engineer's Handbook
__________________
"For Gawd's sake, put a RELAY in there or you could burn the whole damn Jeep to the ground" ...this quote brought to you by people who do not understand the law.....Kirchoff's, Ohm's, or Faraday's.
Violation of KISS shall always ring false in TRUE engineering. - ME___
Had 75CJ5, 89YJ, 93YJ. Have 82CJ7 & 95YJ____Not one burnt yet due to lack of relays.
bc3_Jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
JerryJeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lakewood Ranch
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc3_Jeep View Post
This depends ENTIRELY on what grade of bolt you are using. KNOW what grade of hardware you are using.....if you do not know what grade they are.... throw them away and get correct grade.

This TIGHT crap is for amateurs and ne'er do wells. If you cannot find a spec, go to a generic chart online, there are 100s of them out there.

Steel Bolt Torque Specifications Table - Engineer's Handbook
X2. I would hate to be towing and have an over torqued bolt snap and be responsible for the carnage my loose trailer made. Not to mention the law suits that could come.
JerryJeepster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Tweak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 2,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc3_Jeep View Post

This TIGHT crap is for amateurs and ne'er do wells.
thats cute.

it's a frikkin bolt. if you can screw that up you shouldnt be doing the install. you have 4 of them. if you manage to break a bolt pulling a jonboat you have 3 more. holy crap this forum is king of overthinking things.
Tweak is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Ruby Tuesday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweak View Post
thats cute.

it's a frikkin bolt. if you can screw that up you shouldnt be doing the install. you have 4 of them. if you manage to break a bolt pulling a jonboat you have 3 more. holy crap this forum is king of overthinking things.
Agree
Ruby Tuesday is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
wmshay6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Absurdistan AKA- MD
Posts: 436
Wow- didn't mean to start a war . . .

Regardless, factory hitch, with factory bolts. I'll tighten to factory spec of 60 ft-lbs.

Thanks for the reference!
__________________
2014 JKU Sport
Granite Crystal
6- Speed
3.73, Premium Soft Top, Premium Audio, Connectivity
wmshay6 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
bc3_Jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NE corner of Iowa
Posts: 1,599
The war is about people who are WILLING (and encouraging others) to be negligent versus people who are TRYING to give you CORRECT advice.

There are torque specs on bolts for a REASON (if you ignore them you do NOT know the reason). It is not about selling torque wrenches or boosting some engineer's ego. It is about SAFETY and RESPONSIBILITY.

Yeah..... you can ignore them and PROBABLY never have an issue, but explain THAT to the people you KILL with your loose trailer. It was PROBABLY torqued correctly and then watch the NEGLIGENCE lawsuit take everything you own and then some.

That gun is PROBABLY not loaded........ think THIS when not torquing bolts.......
__________________
"For Gawd's sake, put a RELAY in there or you could burn the whole damn Jeep to the ground" ...this quote brought to you by people who do not understand the law.....Kirchoff's, Ohm's, or Faraday's.
Violation of KISS shall always ring false in TRUE engineering. - ME___
Had 75CJ5, 89YJ, 93YJ. Have 82CJ7 & 95YJ____Not one burnt yet due to lack of relays.
bc3_Jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
JerryJeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lakewood Ranch
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc3_Jeep View Post
The war is about people who are WILLING (and encouraging others) to be negligent versus people who are TRYING to give you CORRECT advice.

There are torque specs on bolts for a REASON (if you ignore them you do NOT know the reason). It is not about selling torque wrenches or boosting some engineer's ego. It is about SAFETY and RESPONSIBILITY.

Yeah..... you can ignore them and PROBABLY never have an issue, but explain THAT to the people you KILL with your loose trailer. It was PROBABLY torqued correctly and then watch the NEGLIGENCE lawsuit take everything you own and then some.

That gun is PROBABLY not loaded........ think THIS when not torquing bolts.......
Well said sir!
JerryJeepster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 203
The reason a bolt is torqued is that the bolt stretches the proper amount, over torque it and the bolt is stretched beyond the design for the grade of bolt, under torque and its not stretched enough and it will loosen. It might seam like a small thing but it is important to understand. Just think what would happen if they didn't torqued the bolts in your engine from the factory.
Mody n Domy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
RoadGlide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Way north of Texas
Posts: 6,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweak View Post
thats cute.

it's a frikkin bolt. if you can screw that up you shouldnt be doing the install. you have 4 of them. if you manage to break a bolt pulling a jonboat you have 3 more. holy crap this forum is king of overthinking things.
may be cute, but if ya work for me, and you don't take the time to look up the torque, set the wrench and torque the fastener to spec...(and i audit my people)...you would be looking for another job...and it isn't because i like hiring new employees and training them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Tuesday View Post
Agree
really? have you ever looked at the metrology, metallurgy and the mechanical properties of a theaded fastener? do you know what makes them stay tight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc3_Jeep View Post
The war is about people who are WILLING (and encouraging others) to be negligent versus people who are TRYING to give you CORRECT advice.

There are torque specs on bolts for a REASON (if you ignore them you do NOT know the reason). It is not about selling torque wrenches or boosting some engineer's ego. It is about SAFETY and RESPONSIBILITY.

Yeah..... you can ignore them and PROBABLY never have an issue, but explain THAT to the people you KILL with your loose trailer. It was PROBABLY torqued correctly and then watch the NEGLIGENCE lawsuit take everything you own and then some.

That gun is PROBABLY not loaded........ think THIS when not torquing bolts.......
well said sir! i commend you for taking the high road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mody n Domy View Post
The reason a bolt is torqued is that the bolt stretches the proper amount, over torque it and the bolt is stretched beyond the design for the grade of bolt, under torque and its not stretched enough and it will loosen. It might seam like a small thing but it is important to understand. Just think what would happen if they didn't torqued the bolts in your engine from the factory.
and another commendation! this should be the start of required reading for critical application faster applications...to include your wheel studs...steering sector...suspension...seat bolts....ad infinitum...
RoadGlide is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
BigSkyJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NW Montana
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweak View Post
tight enough that it isnt going anywhere. I just used an impact.
Not happening. A good impact wrench can apply HUNDREDS of lb-ft of torque to a fastener.

I use a torque wrench on all critical bolts, no exceptions. "Gudentight" doesn't cut it for something as important as a trailer hitch.
__________________
2013 JK Rubi/6-speed - Rugged Brown
NRA Endowment Member - Molon Labe!
BigSkyJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 5,736
yup yesiree back on the farm we would not even bother with no bolts just a couple wraps of baling wire would have that good enough to haul the bass boat to the lake.
jadmt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Rosamond, CA
Posts: 22
Bubble gum and duct tape. Does it everytime!
fccwpe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
George Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cypress, Texas
Posts: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc3_Jeep View Post
This depends ENTIRELY on what grade of bolt you are using. KNOW what grade of hardware you are using.....if you do not know what grade they are.... throw them away and get correct grade. This TIGHT crap is for amateurs and ne'er do wells. If you cannot find a spec, go to a generic chart online, there are 100s of them out there. Steel Bolt Torque Specifications Table - Engineer's Handbook
Using a generic chart is a last resort option. You need the correct spec. While the torque applied may not break the bolt, it may not be appropriate for the mating parts. Also, the required torque depends on the friction between the bolt, nut, and the surface the nut is contacting. A lubricated bolt requires much lower torque to achieve the required preload.
George Ross is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Central FL and GA Mountains
Posts: 243
A buddy of mine idea of a torque wrench is banging the open wrench with a hammer until it can't move anymore. It's amazing how many bolts he has broken...

__________________
Gonzo's 2013 Jeep Wrangler
Gonzos Wrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC