Transfer case whine - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Sueby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,790
Transfer case whine

2013 auto rubi. All of a sudden any time I'm in 4L the TC whines so bad. Everyone (who hasn't heard it) says it's normal for the tc to whine, but it's never sounded this bad before - it's definitely new. The one person who has driven my jeep almost as much as me commented on it the other night so I'm pretty sure I'm not crazy.

Any suggestions on what it could be or what to look for? There is no way to check the tc fluid, right, gotta just drain it?

Sueby is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 3,168
It may be low on fluid. Seems like you should be able to get under the rig and look for a leak.

Bob K.

nwbronco is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Sueby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbronco View Post
It may be low on fluid. Seems like you should be able to get under the rig and look for a leak. Bob K.
No leak that I can tell - but I have skids. Plus 8 inches of snow today! I'm gonna drop the skid & replace the fluid I guess.
Sueby is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,099
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueby View Post
No leak that I can tell - but I have skids. Plus 8 inches of snow today! I'm gonna drop the skid & replace the fluid I guess.
Maybe synthetic ATF will help. I like the Amsoil that I used. I don't get a lot of whine with my 10 but my 89 YJ sounds like I have another kid.
kik is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 39,461
Can you get a sound clip/vid ?
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
michiganadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Niles, MI
Posts: 2,367
mine wines a little in 4lo when youre doing about 20, but you really arent supposed to do that anyway.
__________________
Everytime i have ever posted, its always bull that comes out of me
michiganadam is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,474
First I would check the fluid level. ATF+4 is already a Group III synthetic fluid so no need to go looking for a synthetic ATF if you decide on changing it. Some whining is to be expected in 4L especially if you're traveling fast.
demarpaint is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Sueby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,790
Sorry, dumb girl question...How do I check the tc level? I didn't think there was a dip stick.
Sueby is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Sueby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueby View Post
Sorry, dumb girl question...How do I check the tc level? I didn't think there was a dip stick.
Never mind - found it! In the manual of all places. Who knew?!

(Love to quite myself too!)
Sueby is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:02 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 3,168
A good question was raised. How fast are you driving in 4Lo? Our Rubi will sing the blues too above 20 MPH.

Bob K.
nwbronco is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Sueby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,790
Oh just crawling along in 1st gear & into 2nd. Not fast at all.

I know its normal for the tc to whine - but this is definitely not the normal whine.

I did some relatively deep water recently, up to the doors, I wonder if there could be water in the tc. Not sure how that would be possible, but who knows.
Sueby is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Sueby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,790
Ken also brought up the possibility of the cv joint. I've got 18k on my stock ds with 3.5 inches of lift - I'm just waiting for it to go. I do hear a rubbing sound when wheeling that I have assumed is my ds. I wonder if that could be it.
Sueby is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueby View Post
Ken also brought up the possibility of the cv joint. I've got 18k on my stock ds with 3.5 inches of lift - I'm just waiting for it to go. I do hear a rubbing sound when wheeling that I have assumed is my ds. I wonder if that could be it.
It might. I would still check the fluid level in the transfer case to play it safe.
demarpaint is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Ruby Tuesday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 927
Umm...warranty? Why stress, just take it to the dealer.
Ruby Tuesday is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Tuesday View Post
Umm...warranty? Why stress, just take it to the dealer.
Yeah no kidding, make an appointment with the dealer. The perks of having a new vehicle.
2trackin is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Sueby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,790
I'd rather figure it out myself, or at least check the basics first. My dealer isn't close by & I work every day. I'm assuming the skid has to come off & I'm not paying them to do that - I can do it & check the fluids myself.

If it's more than that, & not the drive shaft, it will go in.
Sueby is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueby View Post
I'd rather figure it out myself, or at least check the basics first. My dealer isn't close by & I work every day. I'm assuming the skid has to come off & I'm not paying them to do that - I can do it & check the fluids myself.

If it's more than that, & not the drive shaft, it will go in.
That's exactly how I feel about going to the dealer. Something like checking fluid I'd rather do myself than tie up the better part of a day and having them mess with it. OTOH a warranty issue that requires them replacing parts is another story. If you check the fluid and its full and you still feel something is wrong then pay them a visit. Just be sure it doesn't involve a mod you made to the Jeep, that's if you made any mods to it.
demarpaint is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
michiganadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Niles, MI
Posts: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueby View Post
Oh just crawling along in 1st gear & into 2nd. Not fast at all.

I know its normal for the tc to whine - but this is definitely not the normal whine.

I did some relatively deep water recently, up to the doors, I wonder if there could be water in the tc. Not sure how that would be possible, but who knows.

I would have checked the transfercase and diffs as soon as i got back from that wheeling trip. If there's water in the fluid it will make it look like a strawberry milkshake. Kind of whitish pinkish foamy. You would have to change the fluid in that case.

You should extend your breathers if you're doing this kind of abuse on the regular. It might save you some money one day, and is easier than not driving in water...lol.
__________________
Everytime i have ever posted, its always bull that comes out of me
michiganadam is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Sueby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint View Post
That's exactly how I feel about going to the dealer. Something like checking fluid I'd rather do myself than tie up the better part of a day and having them mess with it. OTOH a warranty issue that requires them replacing parts is another story. If you check the fluid and its full and you still feel something is wrong then pay them a visit. Just be sure it doesn't involve a mod you made to the Jeep, that's if you made any mods to it.
Exactly. Yes she's pretty modified & it's obvious she does her share of wheeling. If it's the drive shaft there is no way I'd even have them look at it - they'd laugh me out of town if I tried to claim warranty on that! Another reason I'd rather figure it out myself.

I'm gonna check (maybe replace) the tc fluid & check out my ds real good. If it's neither I'll bring it in. It's definitely not right. I think I've got a pretty good start on ideas here. Thanks all.
Sueby is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Sueby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganadam View Post
I would have checked the transfercase and diffs as soon as i got back from that wheeling trip. If there's water in the fluid it will make it look like a strawberry milkshake. Kind of whitish pinkish foamy. You would have to change the fluid in that case. You should extend your breathers if you're doing this kind of abuse on the regular. It might save you some money one day, and is easier than not driving in water...lol.
I did check the diffs but I never really thought the tc could have water in it unless it came in the breather. Can it? I guess it never dawned on me to check it along with the diffs.
Sueby is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:12 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueby View Post
I did check the diffs but I never really thought the tc could have water in it unless it came in the breather. Can it? I guess it never dawned on me to check it along with the diffs.

You can get water in the transfer case too. If you do decide to change the transfer case fluid, make sure you can get the fill plug out first. Many times people decide to dump the fluid and not remove the fill plug first. Then they find they can't get the fill plug out, after they drained the unit and it's too late. So by checking the fluid level first you'll be certain you can get the fill plug out.
demarpaint is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:36 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
michiganadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Niles, MI
Posts: 2,367
Yup, you have to have a vent on the transfer case because the oil expands when its hot, etc, just like the diffs.

If it came in, it would have been through the breather......

Atleast the transmission's easy to check though if you have an automatic. If you have a manual i'd check the transmission oil too.
__________________
Everytime i have ever posted, its always bull that comes out of me
michiganadam is offline   Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:56 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
Sueby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,790
Awesome, thanks for the tip. I have checked the tranny & all looked good.
Sueby is offline   Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #24
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1
My transfer case literally exploded. Having trouble finding another transfer case for my 07 manual unlimited. Any ideas where I find a rebuilt or decent used one?
RUMSPRINGA is offline   Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #25
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jkjeeper06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMSPRINGA View Post
My transfer case literally exploded. Having trouble finding another transfer case for my 07 manual unlimited. Any ideas where I find a rebuilt or decent used one?
I'm assuming you've checked salvage yards? Although a 4x4 shop could probably rebuild it. If they do axles then a transfer case is probably easy
jkjeeper06 is offline   Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #26
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 39,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMSPRINGA View Post
My transfer case literally exploded. Having trouble finding another transfer case for my 07 manual unlimited. Any ideas where I find a rebuilt or decent used one?
How, Are you lifted or stock ?

Are you a member on any other forums JKO/FREAKS ?
I see TC's all the time. I'll go see what I can find.

kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC