1" BL + 3/4" Spring Spacer - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Laredo, Texas
Posts: 96
1" BL + 3/4" Spring Spacer

Hi

I own a 2002 TJ, 4.0L, 5 speed with stock suspension and 30" AT tires.
I want to go to 31" tires and a small lift (1" - 2")
Trying to keep the stock ride characteristics as much as possible.
This TJ is my DD city/hwy and some accacional dirt roads in ranches - nothing extreme.

I would like to know your opinion / advise on the following:

1. 1" BL pro's and con's (what I know is that the fan shroud has to be relocated, 4WD shifter adjusted and steering angle) M.O.R.E. has a kit that has the necessary pieces to modify all of the above including a steering riser. What is your opinion of this BL kit?

2. 1" BL and also use 3/4" spring spacers front and rear. Will installing the 3/4" spacer affect the ride? I want to avoid vibrations, DW and having to do a TCD. Do I need longer shocks? wheel alligment?

3. What is the best 1" BL brand?

4: If I want to replace shocks in the future, can I use stock lenght or do I need longer shocks? Can you use 2" longer shocks on a stock suspension?


Sorry - alot of questions.
Any help / opinions I get will be appreciated.
Thanks

zaskar14 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
TheDesertOutlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaskar14 View Post
Hi

I own a 2002 TJ, 4.0L, 5 speed with stock suspension and 30" AT tires.
I want to go to 31" tires and a small lift (1" - 2")
Trying to keep the stock ride characteristics as much as possible.
This TJ is my DD city/hwy and some accacional dirt roads in ranches - nothing extreme.

I would like to know your opinion / advise on the following:

1. 1" BL pro's and con's (what I know is that the fan shroud has to be relocated, 4WD shifter adjusted and steering angle) M.O.R.E. has a kit that has the necessary pieces to modify all of the above including a steering riser. What is your opinion of this BL kit?

2. 1" BL and also use 3/4" spring spacers front and rear. Will installing the 3/4" spacer affect the ride? I want to avoid vibrations, DW and having to do a TCD. Do I need longer shocks? wheel alligment?

3. What is the best 1" BL brand?

4: If I want to replace shocks in the future, can I use stock lenght or do I need longer shocks? Can you use 2" longer shocks on a stock suspension?


Sorry - alot of questions.
Any help / opinions I get will be appreciated.
Thanks
Pros & Cons? I haven't noticed any. Be sure to keep the bolts torqued to spec. 1" Daystar body lift replaces the stock body mounts - this is perhaps the best route to take. I also went with a 1" Currie Polyurethane motor mount lift. At idle, the Jeep shakes only a little bit.

I run 3/4" coil spacers on the front axle and 1" coil spacers on the rear axle. No problems. You should be able to run your stock shocks with the 3/4" spacers with no problems as well. You will definitely need a wheel alignment when this is performed.

I am very happy with the Daystar 1" body lift/body mount kit.

As for shocks, I would wait until you bought 2" coils and ran those in conjunction with 2" lift spec. shocks.

__________________
Tomb Raider #815 - 2003 1/2 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon w/4" Pro Comp/Metal Cloak dbl adj arms, Pro-Comp MX-6, Daystar BL, K&N FIPK II w/Air Raid, ViAir Extreme OBA, Currie Steering, Black Rock D909s, 35" BFG KM2 -- BUILT FOR BAJA
4" 33" to 35"
https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/1517457_10203416408666416_5192773015714389607_n.jp  g
TheDesertOutlaw is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Laredo, Texas
Posts: 96
DO
Why the shaking at idle? motor lift or body lift?
You did the motor lift because of the spacers? did you get any vibrations?

Do you have to change the say bar links because of the 1" BL?

Thanks
zaskar14 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
BigDeaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaskar14 View Post
DO
Why the shaking at idle? motor lift or body lift?
You did the motor lift because of the spacers? did you get any vibrations?

Thanks
Polyurethane motor mounts are supposedly beefier in the sense that they resist corrosion and such for longer periods of time at the expense of vibrations. The rubber MMs tend to eat some of the vibrations from the engine at the expense of durability. I'm ordering up some ultra flex rubber ones, I'm fairly confident my jeep will disintegrate before those mounts do.
__________________
'99 TJ Chili Pepper Red SOLD
'13 JKU Rubicon Billet FOR SALE
BigDeaner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Laredo, Texas
Posts: 96
BigDeaner,
So the vibrations are because of the MML not the BL correct?
What kind of MMs are you getting?
Do you have a MML?

Thanks for your input
zaskar14 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
WVU Mountainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaskar14 View Post
BigDeaner,
So the vibrations are because of the MML not the BL correct?
What kind of MMs are you getting?
Do you have a MML?

Thanks for your input
I have a JKS 1.25 body lift and a brown dog 1" MML. I have more vibration at idle than with the stock motor mounts. Some days it's annoying but I think to myself It's not a Lexus, it's a Jeep. The better driveline angles the MML created with my 2" suspension lift outweigh the idle vibrations.

The jKS BL made the ride much smother over bumps in my opinion.

MML took about 4 hour to install, BL took 45 minutes. If done together no fan shroud or TC linkage adjustments are needed. However I did the MML first and did not have to modify the TC linkage, but I had to slot the fan shroud. Sili Kroil is your best friend if your body mount bolts are being stubborn. Give them a good spray all over the mounts and wait a day. Mine would not budge before I did this. The next day after spraying all broke loose very easily.
WVU Mountainman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Laredo, Texas
Posts: 96
WVU
Understand - I want to avoid doing a 2" lift or 2" BB. That is why I am considerig a 1" BL and 3/4" coill spacers to obtain a 1 3/4" total lift.
Am I in the right track or I am I full of it?

As for tires, right now I have 30 X 9.5 X 15 Goodyear Silent Armor on original Canyon wheels (15 X 8) I want a more agressive tire like BFG KM2 or Duratrack in 30" or 31" max. (I think Duratrack's are not available in a 30")

Thanks for your reponse
zaskar14 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
TheDesertOutlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 1,544
The vibrations I feel at idle are not very noticible - just when you are trying to look at another vehicle in your rear view mirror, you will see the vibrations at idle.
__________________
Tomb Raider #815 - 2003 1/2 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon w/4" Pro Comp/Metal Cloak dbl adj arms, Pro-Comp MX-6, Daystar BL, K&N FIPK II w/Air Raid, ViAir Extreme OBA, Currie Steering, Black Rock D909s, 35" BFG KM2 -- BUILT FOR BAJA
4" 33" to 35"
https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/1517457_10203416408666416_5192773015714389607_n.jp  g
TheDesertOutlaw is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
WVU Mountainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaskar14 View Post
WVU
Understand - I want to avoid doing a 2" lift or 2" BB. That is why I am considerig a 1" BL and 3/4" coill spacers to obtain a 1 3/4" total lift.
Am I in the right track or I am I full of it?

As for tires, right now I have 30 X 9.5 X 15 Goodyear Silent Armor on original Canyon wheels (15 X 8) I want a more agressive tire like BFG KM2 or Duratrack in 30" or 31" max. (I think Duratrack's are not available in a 30")

Thanks for your reponse
I think this route will be fine. It should ride nicely once completed. If all you are looking to do is run a large, more aggressive tire, you can run 31's stock. I did before my lift.
WVU Mountainman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
TheDesertOutlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVU Mountainman View Post
I think this route will be fine. It should ride nicely once completed. If all you are looking to do is run a large, more aggressive tire, you can run 31's stock. I did before my lift.
The 3/4" coil spring spacers would do the trick for the least amount of money.
__________________
Tomb Raider #815 - 2003 1/2 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon w/4" Pro Comp/Metal Cloak dbl adj arms, Pro-Comp MX-6, Daystar BL, K&N FIPK II w/Air Raid, ViAir Extreme OBA, Currie Steering, Black Rock D909s, 35" BFG KM2 -- BUILT FOR BAJA
4" 33" to 35"
https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/1517457_10203416408666416_5192773015714389607_n.jp  g
TheDesertOutlaw is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Laredo, Texas
Posts: 96
DO/WVU,
Thanks for sharing your experience - Yes, I do not want to run more than 31" tires but I do want the TJ with a little higher stand.

First I want to get it to ride as best as possible stock. (just got the TJ about a month ago) There are a few noises that I dont like and don't know where they are coming from, maybe balljoints, motor mounts or trans mounts, U-joints...???

Just replaced the 2 Front sway bar links and re-torqued the rear links and eliminated a nasty clunk noise.

I need for somebody that know jeep's very well to drive it / inspected so that I can take action if anything is wrong.

Regards
zaskar14 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
WVU Mountainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaskar14 View Post
DO/WVU,
Thanks for sharing your experience - Yes, I do not want to run more than 31" tires but I do want the TJ with a little higher stand.

First I want to get it to ride as best as possible stock. (just got the TJ about a month ago) There are a few noises that I dont like and don't know where they are coming from, maybe balljoints, motor mounts or trans mounts, U-joints...???

Just replaced the 2 Front sway bar links and re-torqued the rear links and eliminated a nasty clunk noise.

I need for somebody that know jeep's very well to drive it / inspected so that I can take action if anything is wrong.

Regards
No problem. Upgrading the shocks will do wonders for your ride quality. I am quite fond of the bilstein 5100's others say old man emu are just as good or better. Any idea the last time yours were replaced?
WVU Mountainman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Laredo, Texas
Posts: 96
WVU,
Shocks are OE - probably the originals. Just replaced the steering damper (OE also) this weekend. Made a little difference.

I do want to change the shocks but I am dreading removing the rear shock top bolts due that they are rusted.

My Jeep has some body roll but I do not know if that is normal, considering that is a Jeep and that I have a hardtop. It appears that the springs are OK since they are not sagging but I do not know if a bad springs contributes to body roll.
zaskar14 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
WVU Mountainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaskar14 View Post
WVU,
Shocks are OE - probably the originals. Just replaced the steering damper (OE also) this weekend. Made a little difference.

I do want to change the shocks but I am dreading removing the rear shock top bolts due that they are rusted.

My Jeep has some body roll but I do not know if that is normal, considering that is a Jeep and that I have a hardtop. It appears that the springs are OK since they are not sagging but I do not know if a bad springs contributes to body roll.
My jeep was the same way when I bought it. What fixed my body roll problem was replacing the front and rear anti sway bar bushings. The front 2 are under the molded plastic cover behind the front bumper if it is stock. . Take this cover off and 2 bolts hold each bracket that hold the bushings in, the anti sway bar passes through each bushing. There should be a split in both bushings; just pop out to remove. Install new rubber bushing, I do not use polyurethane due to squeaking and vibration transmission, reverse the disassembly process. The rear is the same, just crawl under and you will see. On my 2000 the rear and front bushings are different sizes. The new front rubber ones did not have slit to install. I took a razor knife and made my own. Worked nicely.

This also quieted down a lot of clunks and i instability. .
WVU Mountainman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 10:11 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Laredo, Texas
Posts: 96
WVU,
Great - I am going to order them and replace ASAP.
How long with your TJ? give me a few details. Do you have the OE springs?

Bilstein shocks are good, also OME and Rancho - Have to start saving my $$$$ (Quarters)

Thanks
zaskar14 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
WVU Mountainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaskar14 View Post
WVU,
Great - I am going to order them and replace ASAP.
How long with your TJ? give me a few details. Do you have the OE springs?

Bilstein shocks are good, also OME and Rancho - Have to start saving my $$$$ (Quarters)

Thanks
I've had my TJ for almost a year. I have 4wd hardware 2" lifted coils.
WVU Mountainman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2013, 05:58 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
BigDeaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaskar14 View Post
BigDeaner,
So the vibrations are because of the MML not the BL correct?
What kind of MMs are you getting?
Do you have a MML?

Thanks for your input
Correct, MML not BL.
I'll be purchasing the brown dog 1" ultra flex rubber. I currently do not have one, but would like to do it in conjunction with my BL.
__________________
'99 TJ Chili Pepper Red SOLD
'13 JKU Rubicon Billet FOR SALE
BigDeaner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Laredo, Texas
Posts: 96
Saw the Brown Dog motor mounts, nice. To do a MML you need to have a SL.
I wonder if a 3/4" spring spacer or 1" spring spacer all around will do?????
zaskar14 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-27-2013, 06:12 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
BigDeaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaskar14 View Post
Saw the Brown Dog motor mounts, nice. To do a MML you need to have a SL.
I wonder if a 3/4" spring spacer or 1" spring spacer all around will do?????
You do NOT need a SL to do a MML. People tend to do the MMLs to help correct the driveline after doing a lift, but it is not a prerequisite. I'm doing mine in conjunction with my BL mainly because I don't want to mess with the fan shroud... That and it might help down the road when I do my 3" suspension.
__________________
'99 TJ Chili Pepper Red SOLD
'13 JKU Rubicon Billet FOR SALE
BigDeaner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Laredo, Texas
Posts: 96
Understand - I am considering doing a 1" BL + 3/4" or 1" spring spacers and MML. Go from 30" to 31" tires. Best thing should be to do all 3 at the same time? or BL + MML tested and then the spacers
zaskar14 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: So Cal 805
Posts: 920
If you are asking if it is all one system,no.
BL and MML are good to install at same time. May prevent you from doing any temporary radiator mods for clearance.
Spring spacers will tackle the suspension components and require you to remove shocks and coils to get them in.
You could tackle all at one as it should not take too long to do both.
Xjman1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
BigDeaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaskar14 View Post
Understand - I am considering doing a 1" BL + 3/4" or 1" spring spacers and MML. Go from 30" to 31" tires. Best thing should be to do all 3 at the same time? or BL + MML tested and then the spacers
Another option that will get you a little more lift is 2" spaces in the rear and v8 ZJ springs up front. It'll level the jeep and get you around 2" extra room. I was going to go this route until I decided to do a suspension lift.
__________________
'99 TJ Chili Pepper Red SOLD
'13 JKU Rubicon Billet FOR SALE
BigDeaner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2013, 01:30 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Laredo, Texas
Posts: 96
Understand about the BL and MML at the same time. Eliminates the need to relocate the fan shroud. Will this also eliminate a 4X4 linkage adaptor/adjustment or shifter problems?

OK - Do you have to remove the shocks to insatll a 3/4" or 1" spring spacer?

Thanks for your help
zaskar14 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2013, 08:07 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: So Cal 805
Posts: 920
I did not have to mess with linkage when I installed my BL & MML. Every case is different.
My old radiator lined up good as well, but yesterday when replacing it the new drop in radiator caused shroud to hit fan so needed to modify it.
No need to remove shocks for BL & MML install.
Would be smart to start soaking shock bolts with penetrating oil now though so you have less risk of damaging shock mounts, esp rear uppers.
Xjman1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Laredo, Texas
Posts: 96
I know, I fear the rear upper shock mounts. Waht do you use PB Blaster?
Do you have to remove the shocks to install a 1" spring spacer?

Thanks
zaskar14 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
BigDeaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaskar14 View Post
I know, I fear the rear upper shock mounts. Waht do you use PB Blaster?
Do you have to remove the shocks to install a 1" spring spacer?

Thanks
A lot of people use PB Blaster, but I've heard Kroil is where its at. I've used PB Blaster with mixed results, but I just picked up some Kroil and will get back to you with the results.
__________________
'99 TJ Chili Pepper Red SOLD
'13 JKU Rubicon Billet FOR SALE
BigDeaner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: So Cal 805
Posts: 920
You do not need to remove the shocks completely to install spacer, so you could just take off the bottom shock bolt and careful move them out of the way.
Yes I do use PB Blaster but soak them days in advance. I have not used the Kroil but have also heard good things about it.

Xjman1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC