2.5" lift and swaybar links - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 69
2.5" lift and swaybar links

Can I keep and use my stock sway bar links for a couple months with a 2.5" suspension lift? I'm going to upgrade to quick discos but won't be able to get them and install them for at least a month or two and I plan on putting on my 2.5" coils and shocks this weekend. I've driven many times without my sway bar but I would like it connected if It can still be usable with the lift. thanks!

How about the rear sway bar links will those be ok to?

ohsixteejay is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
j33p3rz cr33p3rz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Franklin,Indiana
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsixteejay View Post
Can I keep and use my stock sway bar links for a couple months with a 2.5" suspension lift? I'm going to upgrade to quick discos but won't be able to get them and install them for at least a month or two and I plan on putting on my 2.5" coils and shocks this weekend. I've driven many times without my sway bar but I would like it connected if It can still be usable with the lift. thanks!

How about the rear sway bar links will those be ok to?
Yep. Ive been running the stock ones for about a year now with my 2.5 of lift.

__________________
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)-o-)_)
j33p3rz cr33p3rz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 69
great now the only thing I have to figure out is my bump stops. I need about an inch in the front and about an 1.25" in the rear. I think I might try hockey pucks. What kind of epoxy will hold those suckers in place? JB weld?
ohsixteejay is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsixteejay View Post
Can I keep and use my stock sway bar links for a couple months with a 2.5" suspension lift? I'm going to upgrade to quick discos but won't be able to get them and install them for at least a month or two and I plan on putting on my 2.5" coils and shocks this weekend. I've driven many times without my sway bar but I would like it connected if It can still be usable with the lift. thanks!

How about the rear sway bar links will those be ok to?
yes, you'll need to get extended front's at the least. otherwise you'll prematurely wear out the ball joints on the stock links, or more likely rip them out of the socket. you can also invert the sway bar if you flex enough.

for the rears, you can use WJ front links, they're about $15 on RockAuto.

bumpstops will determined by your shock length & suspension interferences. whats the collapsed and extended lengths of your shocks?
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-04-2010, 05:35 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
yes, you'll need to get extended front's at the least. otherwise you'll prematurely wear out the ball joints on the stock links, or more likely rip them out of the socket. you can also invert the sway bar if you flex enough.

for the rears, you can use WJ front links, they're about $15 on RockAuto.

bumpstops will determined by your shock length & suspension interferences. what's the collapsed and extended lengths of your shocks?

I will have to look into the WJ front links for the rear thanks! Is that a permanent fix and do they bolt right in or do i need to modify them?

As far as bump stops I'm running 2.5" suspension, 1.25" BL, 1" MML and OME N66/N67 shocks and 33x12.5 tires. I'm figuring an inch in the front and 1.25" in the rear sound about right?
ohsixteejay is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-04-2010, 06:39 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
adkjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Vermont
Posts: 1,615
What year or years WJ can you use the front links in the rear of a TJ I have a 2.5" lift and I would like to replace my stock rear links with longer ones.
__________________
Vermont
Anyone who can legally own a firearm can carry it concealed in Vermont with no permit/license
of any kind
adkjoe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-04-2010, 07:47 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsixteejay View Post
I will have to look into the WJ front links for the rear thanks! Is that a permanent fix and do they bolt right in or do i need to modify them?
I haven't tried it since i got RE links for $5. but the reliable info I have is they just bolt on. alternatively, you could get early TJ models - hack them in half, figure out the distance you need, then sleeve and weld them back up. (early TJ's use a steel link with bushings vs late models which are one piece molded plastic),

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsixteejay View Post
I'm figuring an inch in the front and 1.25" in the rear sound about right?
yup, that is correct. you'll clear 33s nicely with that, with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkjoe View Post
What year or years WJ can you use the front links in the rear of a TJ I have a 2.5" lift and I would like to replace my stock rear links with longer ones.
WJ's span 99-04. look at RockAuto for a WJ in that range. they're not even worth going to the junkyard for they're so cheap.
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
adkjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Vermont
Posts: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
I haven't tried it since i got RE links for $5. but the reliable info I have is they just bolt on. alternatively, you could get early TJ models - hack them in half, figure out the distance you need, then sleeve and weld them back up. (early TJ's use a steel link with bushings vs late models which are one piece molded plastic),
Sounds much easier to just get a set of WJ front links for the back than hacking and welding. So it's your understanding that the front links would be the correct length for the rear with a 2.5" lift?

__________________
Vermont
Anyone who can legally own a firearm can carry it concealed in Vermont with no permit/license
of any kind
adkjoe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Factory Coils, aftermarket Shocks and Swaybar Links For Sale adawg38 Classifieds Archive 0 09-04-2010 06:30 PM
Am I out to lunch or is this actually legit? blaster199 JK General Discussion Forum 62 06-08-2010 03:32 PM
swaybar links cret0013 TJ Tech Forum 5 07-18-2009 08:16 PM
stock swaybar link on a 3.5 lift? bpowa TJ General Discussion Forum 2 02-11-2008 11:53 AM
Swaybar rubs after installing OME lift nicolas-eric TJ Tech Forum 25 08-19-2007 10:01 PM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC