2003 Rubicon: Gas gauge needle stuck at F/full - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE PA......Near Harrisburg
Posts: 11
2003 Rubicon: Gas gauge needle stuck at F/full

70 miles on this tank full of gas and needle still pointing at F. Actually pointing slightly above F.

Never happened before. 70k on my Jeep

Thanks for your help


Mike

team222 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Jwolfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 863
That has happened to me before too. Don't worry about the needle and just track your miles. That's what I have always done because the gauge is unreliable.

Jwolfer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Hydrogenous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 15
Can you explain everything you did in the past month in a write-up?

Because infinite fuel sounds like exactly what I need for my next upgrade.
Hydrogenous is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
neverfastenough1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Savannah, Ga
Posts: 925
That must really suck. I know my biggest joy is watching my fuel gage move every 5 miles. I think I would sell it if it didn't do that anymore. So I feel your pain.
neverfastenough1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Lando25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern Minnesota
Posts: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrogenous View Post
Can you explain everything you did in the past month in a write-up?

Because infinite fuel sounds like exactly what I need for my next upgrade.
I thought the whole point of a Jeep is to see how fast you can move the needle?


Quote:
Originally Posted by team222 View Post
70 miles on this tank full of gas and needle still pointing at F. Actually pointing slightly above F.

Never happened before. 70k on my Jeep

Thanks for your help


Mike
The gauge sending unit is most likely bad.
__________________
sic vis pacem para bellum
OlllllllO
Lando25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,183
Images: 2
Likely that the gas gauge sender that is tack-welded to the fuel pump has gone bad. But before replacing the fuel pump/fuel sender assembly, make sure the cable connector going to the fuel pump is properly connected, you'll find it next to the gas tank, high up on the driver's side. That connector connects the fuel gauge sender to the fuel gauge in addition to powering the fuel pump.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
f9k9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: London, KY
Posts: 152
My '03 gauge went south recently. It was only reading 3/8s full after a fill up. I had to replace the tank due to someone breaking off part emission part of the tank. I double checked all wiring and cleaned the float contacts. Tossed the pump back into the new tank and no joy. Still wouldn't work well. I could fix it with a $200 denso unit but, I'll use the trip odometer unless, I need to drop the tank again.

Seafoam worked on an S-10's gauge for me but, no joy with the Jeep after using it.
__________________
"For those who have fought for it FREEDOM has a taste that the protected will never know."

03 Rubicon with a few changes.
f9k9 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
A1ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Miami
Posts: 112
at least its not stuck on empty like mine, i just go by the miles
__________________
1999 Wrangler X AKA Candela
4.0L 5Spd
Old Man Emu 4in Springs and Shocks, Pro Comp Mud Terrain Tires 33x12.5x15 on Pro Comp Xtreme Rock Crawler wheels, Warn Rock Crawler Front and Rear Bumper, Warn Grille Guard, Smitty Built XRC 8 Winch, 4.56 Gears, Flowmaster 40 and catalytic delete, Axles Tube Seals, TJM Spot Lights
A1ex is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #9
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE PA......Near Harrisburg
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrogenous View Post
Can you explain everything you did in the past month in a write-up?

Because infinite fuel sounds like exactly what I need for my next upgrade.

Actually, one thing I try not to do is be "cute" in replies by posting a response that has no value.....give it a try

This enough of a write-up for you?

Mike
team222 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE PA......Near Harrisburg
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverfastenough1 View Post
That must really suck. I know my biggest joy is watching my fuel gage move every 5 miles. I think I would sell it if it didn't do that anymore. So I feel your pain.
So what do you do every 5 minutes.... other than post annoying childish replies to questions fellow Jeep owners have?
team222 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,183
Images: 2
Wow, calm down team2222, we're trying to help you. Like in the above post, he meant nothing by his 'watching his fuel gauge move every 5 miles' post. He only was only making a light-hearted remark about his TJ getting such poor mileage that the fuel gauge moves downward more rapidly than he would like.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
sinbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fresno Ca
Posts: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1ex View Post
at least its not stuck on empty like mine, i just go by the miles
yeah mine too!!!!!
__________________
It's not about getting out of the Storm, but learning to dance in the rain.
When I die I am going to be buried with my Jeep, cause I haven't yet found a hole it can't get out of!!!!!
06 TJ Rubi 4.0 and alot of other crap
sinbob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #13
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE PA......Near Harrisburg
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Likely that the gas gauge sender that is tack-welded to the fuel pump has gone bad. But before replacing the fuel pump/fuel sender assembly, make sure the cable connector going to the fuel pump is properly connected, you'll find it next to the gas tank, high up on the driver's side. That connector connects the fuel gauge sender to the fuel gauge in addition to powering the fuel pump.
Thanks.......
team222 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #14
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE PA......Near Harrisburg
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Wow, calm down team2222, we're trying to help you. Like in the above post, he meant nothing by his 'watching his fuel gauge move every 5 miles' post. He only was only making a light-hearted remark about his TJ getting such poor mileage that the fuel gauge moves downward more rapidly than he would like.
Hello Jerry......

I showed that reply a few others and they all agreed with what I thought.

For my part......I misunderstand too much on forums and additionally do my best to confuse people on what I state in posts.......so I could have been wrong in what I thought the reply was

But neither of us really know the intent of that reply ....so maybe the poster could explain it and I certainly will apologize based on the response.

Fair nuff

Mike
team222 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
JReed615's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by team222 View Post

Actually, one thing I try not to do is be "cute" in replies by posting a response that has no value.....give it a try

This enough of a write-up for you?

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by team222 View Post

So what do you do every 5 minutes.... other than post annoying childish replies to questions fellow Jeep owners have?
Great sense of humor...

JReed615 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC