Absolutely worked!! I took it to my mechanic buddy at the Chevy dealer and he knew exactly what to do without explaining. He cut out the flapper and put in the jeep hose on Monday and today I was finally able to fill up and not a drop on my fender or ground or anywhere!! He probably knew all about it considering the part is from a Chevy Trailblazer
I recommend the stuffing of the flapper in the jeep hose rather then trying to bend a straight hose and cut it and all that non sense. You won't have problems down the road like other members have of kinking and what not.
Well worth the $30 part for this mod!! Stupid chrysler should just make there own jeep hose with a flapper in it!
Works perfect and now I don't have to look like an idiot filling up gas
i have a question my filler tube doesnt really spit out fuel. what it does do is always cause the pump to click off even when im start fueling from empty. sometimes it takes me 20min to fill my darn tank up. will the new filler tube fix my problem as well?
LJ I6 4.0l, Rubicon Express 4.5" lift, 32" BFG A/T tires, steel ProComp wheels, Body Armor rear bumper, Hanson rocksliders, Skidrow skid plate, KC Daylighters 6" 130w long range lights, Smittybuilt XRC-8 winch, Cobra mini CB radio
I did the GM hose in my LJ a couple years ago. Great at first, then eventually a kink settled in. Maybe I didn't cut enough off? Since I have no BL, my hose needed to be short but I didn't want to go too short! After the kink settled in, the only way to fill my tank was to run the pump as slow as it would run... no where near the first catch on the auto-fill! Four people would get gas and leave at the next island before I could get my ~15 gal.
Finally this weekend I removed my GM hose, dissected it and removed the flapper assembly.
Soaked my old stock hose in hot water... put a bit of waterless hand cleaner on the inside as a lube, aligned the flapper inside the bottom of the hose, and slipped in a 7/8" deep well socket, back side against the flapper. I held the hose, and slammed the socket against the workbench. Three times like that set the flapper assembly deep enough into the hose... into the narrow part of the hose, but still in the lower half.
I cleaned and dried the hose, verified that the flapper still worked easily by breathing into the hose.
I've also had some problem with the float coming up in the tank filler neck, and getting stuck.
I took a 3/32" piece of stainless TIG wire and forced the float to the bottom of the fill neck.
I cut the stainless wire about 1/2" longer than the total length of the tank fill neck... then bent over the last 1/2", 180°. I flattened the bent over end with a ball peen, then filed all edges smooth. I slipped the wire into the tank neck, holding the float down. I hooked the bent end over the top of the tank filler neck, verified it would stay in place/not shift, and that the rubber fill hose would still fit down over the tank neck with this wire hooked onto the neck. I then installed my modified original filler hose. I made certain that the wire did not extend on the outside of the neck too far... I needed the hose clamp to seat the hose at the base of the neck without interference.
I realize that this defeats a safety feature... the float/ball check would seal off the tank in the event of a roll over. But when a safety feature doesn't work as designed and prevents normal operation of the vehicle (such as normal filling of the fuel tank), then it needs to be circumvented. Especially since the manufacturer has not provided a solution. Besides, the flapper assembly will take it's place in the event of a rollover.
So now it's all back together,,, and I have 3/4 of a tank of gas. I'll let you know how it works when I fill up next time... probably next week.