2nd gear - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-02-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Grainger County, Tennessee
Posts: 44
2nd gear

Hey guys I'm a new owner of a 2000 wrangler and I've started having trouble with my second gear. As soon as I start it up and go from first to second it grinds so I stop trying then immediately try to put it in again and it will go. But then if I've been driving for about 10 mins it doesn't do it. What should I do?

Tek1836 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Biscuit45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 65
Pick up a low(er) mileage transmission at the junk yard. There is no cheap solution to your problem.

Biscuit45 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 5,851
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek1836 View Post
Hey guys I'm a new owner of a 2000 wrangler and I've started having trouble with my second gear. As soon as I start it up and go from first to second it grinds so I stop trying then immediately try to put it in again and it will go. But then if I've been driving for about 10 mins it doesn't do it. What should I do?
Does your Jeep have a body lift or a suspension lift with a transfer case drop?
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Grainger County, Tennessee
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dog View Post
Does your Jeep have a body lift or a suspension lift with a transfer case drop?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit45 View Post
Pick up a low(er) mileage transmission at the junk yard. There is no cheap solution to your problem.
Will any transmission do? And it has a suspension lift but how do I check the transfer case?
Tek1836 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-02-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
K.wag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Roseburg, Oregon
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit45 View Post
Pick up a low(er) mileage transmission at the junk yard. There is no cheap solution to your problem.
x2

It could be as simple as you have a transfer case drop that is too low or improperly setup angles, or it could be the well known 2nd gear grind. I have learned to live with it in the meantime (clutch in a little longer - match gear speed before shifting) as the only solution is new transmission or transmission rebuild.
K.wag is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 5,851
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.wag View Post
x2

It could be as simple as you have a transfer case drop that is too low or improperly setup angles, or it could be the well known 2nd gear grind. I have learned to live with it in the meantime (clutch in a little longer - match gear speed before shifting) as the only solution is new transmission or transmission rebuild.
Yeah, we just fixed my son's by getting rid of some of the binding that was going on due to his body lift. He thought his transmission was toast, and all it was, was just binding in the rubber boots and not able to go all the way into gear.
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
K.wag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Roseburg, Oregon
Posts: 991
Yep, I had run into that same thing, but now I also have the 2nd gear grind. Know both issues well

K.wag is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
clutch , second gear , transmission , wrangler

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC