4wd light on dash @ss backwards - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-30-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
bpm54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Port Aransas, TX
Posts: 100
4wd light on dash @ss backwards

ok. I was going through the motions of shifting from 2H to 4H to 4L and back again. I like to do so periodically to practice for a smooth shift transition, you know the practice makes perfect thing.

We'll something weird happen. Now when I shift into 2H the 4wd light on the dash is displayed even though I'm in 2H and when I shift into 4H the 4wd light goes off.

Again I've tried just going through the motion of shifting up and down and down and up at a stand still and on the move but, still the 4wd light will stay on in 2h and goes off in 4H.

Please Help! Any suggestions would be welcome.

bpm54 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
csamn2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Peterson AFB CO
Posts: 1,911
Send a message via AIM to csamn2007
Put a piece of tape over the light.

__________________
2000 Wrangler Sport
2 in Procomp SL 1 in BL
33 in Procomp MTs
csamn2007 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by csamn2007 View Post
Put a piece of tape over the light.
LOL...you forgot the most important part.

2.) engage 4WD

3.) remove tape
CubbieBlue is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
Newb
 
CityBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 14
Its a Jeep thing...... Nothing works perfect, but it will get you through more than you think...
__________________
Jeep On!!!
O|||||||O
CityBoy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
bpm54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Port Aransas, TX
Posts: 100
hahahaha. Seriously.
bpm54 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
For_4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 61
Check out the wires underneath going into the sensor. The sensor for the 4wd light screws into the Transfer case its right next to where the shift linkage goes into the case. All of this is assuming you have a NP231 Transfer case. Also could be the sensor itself.
__________________
02' TJ Sport, 4.0 I-6, NV3550, D44 rear
2'' Rubicon Express, 32x11.50 Cooper STT
For_4x4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Ageless Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 26,792
I have a question relating to this thread. When I pull into 4X4 (Hi or Low range) my dash light says "Part Time" There is also a "Full Time" light on the dash but it has never been illuminated. What gives with that?
Ageless Stranger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
IITYWTMWYBMAB

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 10,268
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ageless Stranger View Post
I have a question relating to this thread. When I pull into 4X4 (Hi or Low range) my dash light says "Part Time" There is also a "Full Time" light on the dash but it has never been illuminated. What gives with that?

TJ and Xj dash backgrounds are the same.. xj had option for full time system...
__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ
4Jeepn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Ageless Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 26,792
Which one is the XJ?
Ageless Stranger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2010, 09:44 PM   #10
IITYWTMWYBMAB

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 10,268
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ageless stranger View Post
which one is the xj?
cherokee 1984ish-2001
__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ
4Jeepn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2010, 09:47 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Ageless Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 26,792
I knew that. I forget sometimes which is which. :/
Ageless Stranger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
bpm54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Port Aransas, TX
Posts: 100
Not sure about the NP231 transfer case but, I have a 04 rubicon with the NV3550 tranny. Inline 6 cly. manual engine.

From doing a bit of research and the help of for 4 X 4, this sensor just screws into the trasfer case, Correct? is this a common problem with jeeps?

Can you reset this by disconnecting the positive battery cable?
bpm54 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #13
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4
hi, I have the same year rubicon. Same problem as well. I have also noticed that the light stays off in 4wd low and I can't lock my rear or front axle diffs. Are you able to lock the diffs?
herb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-21-2011, 08:00 PM   #14
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4
So I figured out what's up with the rubicon's 4wd light. I found out that the rubicon's wiring is set up different. On a normal TJ, the light is just a light that's controlled by the switch in the transfer case. On a rubicon, the sending switch sends a signal to the PCM and then the light is then controled by the PCM. It's because the PCM also controls if you can lock the diffs or not (that was what was killing me--i could care less about the light, but I wanted to lock my diffs.) What fixed it for me was resetting the PCM.
herb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Officer Gonzalez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 105
I put a small piece of electrical tape over mine also (same problem 06 rubi)
Officer Gonzalez is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #16
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by herb View Post
So I figured out what's up with the rubicon's 4wd light. I found out that the rubicon's wiring is set up different. On a normal TJ, the light is just a light that's controlled by the switch in the transfer case. On a rubicon, the sending switch sends a signal to the PCM and then the light is then controled by the PCM. It's because the PCM also controls if you can lock the diffs or not (that was what was killing me--i could care less about the light, but I wanted to lock my diffs.) What fixed it for me was resetting the PCM.
how do you reset the pcm
toytech354 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #17
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3
how do you reset PCM.i have the same problem with my 2004 rubicon
toytech354 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Kevbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: O'Fallon, MO
Posts: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by toytech354
how do you reset PCM.i have the same problem with my 2004 rubicon
Disconnect the battery neg cable, turn on the headlights to drain any residual electricity (they won't come on but that open circuit will dissipate the residual) wait 5 min and hook it back up.
__________________
Per Mare, Per Terram...Semper Fidelis
Kevbz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #19
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm54 View Post
ok. I was going through the motions of shifting from 2H to 4H to 4L and back again. I like to do so periodically to practice for a smooth shift transition, you know the practice makes perfect thing.

We'll something weird happen. Now when I shift into 2H the 4wd light on the dash is displayed even though I'm in 2H and when I shift into 4H the 4wd light goes off.

Again I've tried just going through the motion of shifting up and down and down and up at a stand still and on the move but, still the 4wd light will stay on in 2h and goes off in 4H.

Please Help! Any suggestions would be welcome.
I just got a 93 YJ and am having the same issue the original poster is having. Did you ever figure out what it was?
Prefpkg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #20
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Gonzalez View Post
I put a small piece of electrical tape over mine also (same problem 06 rubi)
OK, but you won't be able to engage your stock lockers!
herb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #21
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prefpkg View Post
I just got a 93 YJ and am having the same issue the original poster is having. Did you ever figure out what it was?
If this is a stock YJ, you have a 231 transfer-case and the lights really don't affect the functionality of your ride. That said, you either have a short or the position sensor is not working right. You can buy a new AIRTEX 1S4219 sensor for around 30-40 bucks plus shipping. I have a spare I'll sell you for 20 plus shipping. Again, you really don't need it as the lights are cosmetic/informational only.

/herb

herb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what does this light on my dash mean? Hunt YJ General Discussion Forum 15 04-24-2010 08:05 PM
Red Dash Light Flashing tbourg JK Tech Forum 2 02-28-2010 09:37 AM
A little info on turn signal..dash light issue Bugz2008 TJ Tech Forum 7 01-08-2010 10:35 PM
Emmiss. dash light and whirring noise 89jeepnut YJ Tech Forum 1 06-16-2009 02:39 PM
Help Dash Light!!!!!!!! Walkeraviator TJ Tech Forum 2 12-12-2007 04:27 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC