5 Speed Transmission Oil - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 9
5 Speed Transmission Oil

First off, I'm a newb here, just bought my used TJ last week, and I've been reading ton's of posts on the forum and getting great info!

I'm looking to do the kerosene flush off my manual transmission (believe it's the NV3350), but I'm unsure of what to refill it with. I'm getting conflicting info regarding using either Redline MT, or Royal Purple, or Panzoil Syncromesh, even 10w30. Called my local Cyrsler dealer yesterday, and the parts guy actually said he wasn't sure since their system listed 6 different fluids.

Thanks!

Jeff81 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
AA996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 23
Great question Jeff. I've been wondering the same thing, and the transfer case fluid too. I'll be watching this thread closely!

AA996 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
scott howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: wichita falls texas
Posts: 1,035
it came with the basic mopar manual transmission lubricant.
but if you live where it gets really cold i would go with a really good full synthetic 75/90 because they do not thicken up and cause hard shifting when cold.

the transfer case came with mopar atf+4 type 9602 fluid.
again a good atf+4 is what you need there
__________________
Scott Howard
940-444-1972
scott howard is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 29,173
Images: 2
You are correct, your 2001 came with the NV3550 transmission. Several good synthetic lubricants include Redline MTL, Royal Purple Synchromax, and Amsoil Synchromesh. 75W-90 is not the correct lube, neither is 10W-30... both of those are only suitable/spec'd for the '99 and older series of Aisin transmissions (AX-5 and AX-15). Personally, I would prefer and use Redline MTL which you can order from www.summitracing.com

While Pennzoil Synchromesh and GM Synchromess (same non-synthetic lubes, different labels) meet the official specs for your transmission, not everyone likes how their transmissions shift after being filled with those lubes. And neither are they good in uber-cold conditions like you get there in Nova Scotia.

Your transfer case requires ATF, and it it will be happy with literally any type of good quality ATF. The factory only specs ATF+4 because that is what the automatic transmission requires. If you can find ATF+4, great. If you can't, it will be just as happy with a different type of ATF like Mercon.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7
Please DO NOT use 75/90 or anything heavier than 10w30. The dealer here say's penzoil syncromesh is what they use and recomend. It can be bought at any auto parts store, NAPA,advance,autozone, pep boys. I got a good deal on my tj because po thought it needed a trans rebuild. I thought it did to, till i put correct lube in it.
Works fine no complaints. Also po says it had 75/90. The dealer should have been more informative for you.
gester is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
rdsiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 130
I used Royal Purple Synchromax in my 2000. That made it shift better than whatever was in it.
rdsiler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Destin, Fl
Posts: 100
my dealer gave me this...just did the change on my 2000
bought 3 quarts...took a little over 2.
__________________

2000 tj sport
4" superlift
35x12.50 bfg km2
15x10 pacer wheels
blas32 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 29,173
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gester View Post
Please DO NOT use 75/90 or anything heavier than 10w30.
75W-90 gear lube and 10W-30 motor oils are essentially the same viscosity. Gear lubes and motor oils are measured on two different viscosity scales.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ViscosityComparisonChart.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	185934  
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
GoHack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 24
Images: 12
Don't you especially have to be very careful of the fluid you use, because of the bronze parts in the transmission, which can get destroyed if the wrong one is used?


.
__________________
'14 JKU Willys 23K Package; 6 Spd M/T; Billet Silver Metallic w/Black Hardtop; Black Cloth Interior; Uconnect 430 CD/DVD/MP3/HDD, Trac-Lok Rear Differential, 3.73 Axle Ratio, Performance Suspension (Rubicon), Rock Rails (Rubicon), Max Tow Package
GoHack is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 29,173
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHack View Post
Don't you especially have to be very careful of the fluid you use, because of the bronze parts in the transmission, which can get destroyed if the wrong one is used?
Yes you do, most GL-5 gear lubes contain sulphur-based additives that are harsh on the yellow metal synchronizers used in manual transmissions. The only GL-5 gear lubes that are safe are those that specifically state they are 'Safe for yellow metals'.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
GoHack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 24
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Yes you do, most GL-5 gear lubes contain sulphur-based additives that are harsh on the yellow metal synchronizers used in manual transmissions. The only GL-5 gear lubes that are safe are those that specifically state they are 'Safe for yellow metals'.
That's what I thought.

It's not just the Synchro's but the Bushings as well, which are suppose to be Bronze too.

.
__________________
'14 JKU Willys 23K Package; 6 Spd M/T; Billet Silver Metallic w/Black Hardtop; Black Cloth Interior; Uconnect 430 CD/DVD/MP3/HDD, Trac-Lok Rear Differential, 3.73 Axle Ratio, Performance Suspension (Rubicon), Rock Rails (Rubicon), Max Tow Package
GoHack is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
scott howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: wichita falls texas
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
You are correct, your 2001 came with the NV3550 transmission. Several good synthetic lubricants include Redline MTL, Royal Purple Synchromax, and Amsoil Synchromesh. 75W-90 is not the correct lube, neither is 10W-30... both of those are only suitable/spec'd for the '99 and older series of Aisin transmissions (AX-5 and AX-15). Personally, I would prefer and use Redline MTL which you can order from www.summitracing.com

While Pennzoil Synchromesh and GM Synchromess (same non-synthetic lubes, different labels) meet the official specs for your transmission, not everyone likes how their transmissions shift after being filled with those lubes. And neither are they good in uber-cold conditions like you get there in Nova Scotia.

Your transfer case requires ATF, and it it will be happy with literally any type of good quality ATF. The factory only specs ATF+4 because that is what the automatic transmission requires. If you can find ATF+4, great. If you can't, it will be just as happy with a different type of ATF like Mercon.
Jerry is the redline mtl not a 70w gl4 lube so me saying a full syn 75/90 gl4 that is made for use with yellow metal was correct

Red Line MTL is a 70W80 GL-4 gear oil (SAE 5W30/10W30 engine oil viscosity) designed for use in manual transmissions and transaxles. MTL is a low 70W at very low temperatures, and a high 80W, nearly an 85W, at elevated temperatures, providing adequate viscosity to prevent wear and deaden gear noise. Overall, this gear oil provides excellent protection of gears and synchronizers, and its balanced slipperiness provides a perfect coefficient of friction, allowing easier shifting.
__________________
Scott Howard
940-444-1972
scott howard is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 29,173
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott howard View Post
Jerry is the redline mtl not a 70w gl4 lube so me saying a full syn 75/90 gl4 that is made for use with yellow metal was correct.
The AX-15 is spec'd for 75W-90, the NV-3550 is spec'd for a lower viscosity like 70W-80 which is essentially what the lower viscosity MTL is. A 75W-90 GL-4 is ideal for the AX-5 and AX-15 but is a little heavier than would be ideal for the NV3550 that the OP has. Which is why Redline recommends the slightly lower viscosity MTL for the NV3550 and the higher viscosity MT-90 for the AX-5 and AX-15.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
scott howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: wichita falls texas
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
The AX-15 is spec'd for 75W-90, the NV-3550 is spec'd for a lower viscosity like 70W-80 which is essentially what the lower viscosity MTL is. A 75W-90 GL-4 is ideal for the AX-5 and AX-15 but is a little heavier than would be ideal for the NV3550 that the OP has. Which is why Redline recommends the slightly lower viscosity MTL for the NV3550 and the higher viscosity MT-90 for the AX-5 and AX-15.
Thanks jerry i'm about to change out my fluids again and redline is what i wanted to try next not that royal purple has not worked good for me too.
mtl 90 it is
__________________
Scott Howard
940-444-1972
scott howard is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 28
Red Line MTL available at Amazon

I have not seen Redline MTL in my local auto parts stores. I see where Jerry B. suggested one place where you can order some. I checked Amazon.com, and they have it for the same price. They also have free shipping, so it saves you about $10 if you order from Amazon. I just ordered mine.
bamapaddler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #16
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
ohioviper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio
Posts: 1,610
I just got 2 quarts Red Line MTL from Summit racing. Made a huge improvement in shifting and much quieter NV3550 in my sons TJ. Money well spent.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/red-50204
__________________

2013 JK mine
2000 TJ son's
ohioviper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #17
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 9
Thanks everyone for the replies. I've decided to go with the Redline MTL. Found a local shop that will order it in for me for $19 a quart....a little pricey, but it's hard to get here in Nova Scotia and I probably won't have to change it again for a while. Should be here in 2 days, so I'll update after I do the change.

__________________
2001 TJ Sport 4.0 5sp, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.50x15's, 4.56 35/30 Axles, 8500lb Winch
Jeff81 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC