Adjustable track bar help - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
ddjeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 757
Adjustable track bar help

I'm looking for an adjustable track bar that will fit on a 3" lift. But I don't know what the good or bad brands are. Could anyone suggest me a nice strong one that isn't to expensive?

ddjeeper is offline   Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Abe Froman

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
doclouie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Was in the mountains, now in Texas
Posts: 3,766
Currie is top of the line stuff. Front or rear track bar? Some of the front ones have some clearance issues. I did a relocation bracket for the rear track bar (thus keeping the stock track bar) and a Currie heavy duty track bar up front. I have a 3.5" suspension lift.

__________________
2000 Sahara, 3.5" Rubicon Express Lift, 1" spring spacer & 1" Body Lift, 33" or 35" BFG Mud tires, Front & Rear ARB, Rancho 9000 shocks, UCF Ultra High Belly Up, Savvy gas tank skid.

doclouie is offline   Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
ddjeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by doclouie View Post
Currie is top of the line stuff. Front or rear track bar? Some of the front ones have some clearance issues. I did a relocation bracket for the rear track bar (thus keeping the stock track bar) and a Currie heavy duty track bar up front. I have a 3.5" suspension lift.
I was looking for a front track bar, I will have to look up currie. I appreciate the help!
ddjeeper is offline   Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
ddjeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddjeeper View Post
I was looking for a front track bar, I will have to look up currie. I appreciate the help!
Well I just looked up currie and I think they are a little to expensive. I was hoping to spend less than $200. Do you know anything about the superlift brand track bars? I found one for about $140. Or rubicon express?
ddjeeper is offline   Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,627
before you buy anything, you need to very closely consider the interference issues that arise, and how much bumpstop extension you need to run to avoid it.

Read this before buying anything...yes the whole thing:
tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit? - JeepForum.com
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
ddjeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
before you buy anything, you need to very closely consider the interference issues that arise, and how much bumpstop extension you need to run to avoid it.

Read this before buying anything...yes the whole thing:
tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit? - JeepForum.com
thank you for the link but I am very inexperienced when it comes to working on cars. can you explain to me what bump stops are. Thank you
ddjeeper is offline   Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
05wrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: indy
Posts: 1,132
JKS has a few dif ones out
__________________
"do it once and do it right"

best way to fix it is to break it first
05wrangler is offline   Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
brs2427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Williamsburg
Posts: 66
Bump stops are pieces of rubber that sit inside the coil spring to stop the tires from hitting the fenders when the sway bar is disconnected and the axle is articulating up and down. I got a jks adjustable front track bar and a 3 inch black diamond lift. The trac bar so far has worked out great for me
brs2427 is offline   Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
CMA_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hixson, TN
Posts: 3,171
Send a message via Yahoo to CMA_Rider
I'm running a RC adj. track bar upfront and so far so good I have about 3-4k on it without any problems and it clears the diff with stock bump stops. approx.$180
__________________
2003 White TJ Sport 4.0 5 speed D44 w/ Aussie Locker 3.73 tow pkg 3"BDS, 6" LA RC 2.2 Shocks 1.25bl 1.25mml 33x12.50r15
2001 customized Suzuki Intruder 1500 100hp Harley Killer
70 CJ5 Build
CMA_Rider is offline   Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddjeeper View Post
thank you for the link but I am very inexperienced when it comes to working on cars. can you explain to me what bump stops are. Thank you
You better do some learning before buying anything then.

Bumpstops prevent too much uptravel which would otherwise cause major damage. Not setting them up correctly causes stuff to smash together...like the axle could hit the oil pan, the shocks can bottom out (which destroys shocks and the mounts), or as it pertains to adjustable track bars...the aftermarket bar can hit the diff or the tie-rod. Both are really bad and can lead to catastrophic failure. When the track bar or tie-rod fails, you lose steering.

on the TJ, the bumpstop consists of three main parts - the jounce bumper, the bumpstop cup and the bumpstop pad. The jounce bumper will fully compress into the bumpstop cup when the cup hits the pad during the suspension cycle.

Bumpstop extensions are installed when you change something away from stock....like bigger tires, longer shocks for a lift, or other components change.

Read this:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/corr...gth-70047.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMA_Rider View Post
I'm running a RC adj. track bar upfront and so far so good I have about 3-4k on it without any problems and it clears the diff with stock bump stops. approx.$180
please post pictures at full bump. also, what's your compressed shock length in front?
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
pcwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yorktown
Posts: 367
I gotta say I learned too late (after having stock upper mount drilled out to accomodate RE trackbar that "hits not fits") that with mild lift of 3" or less your best bet is just to keep the stocker and let the axle offset a barely noticeable bit with no ill effects.
__________________
-Phil

Man out standing in his field
o|||||||o
pcwolf is offline   Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
ddjeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcwolf
I gotta say I learned too late (after having stock upper mount drilled out to accomodate RE trackbar that "hits not fits") that with mild lift of 3" or less your best bet is just to keep the stocker and let the axle offset a barely noticeable bit with no ill effects.
Before I saw your post a friend of mine recommend the Rubicon express and said he has had no troubles with it and he wheels a lot so I trusted his judgement and I ordered it. I guess we will find out how it works for me later on lol if it doesn't I can sell it or something.
ddjeeper is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
quickjoey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 41
I have the RE front and rear adjustable track bars. I found that the relocation bracket they (RE) provide with the RE 3.5" lift kit causes a bind when you adjust your pinion angle. I wasn't getting full flex and had a terrible ride quality. After the adjustable track bar install the binding was resolved and rides better than stock. I do have issues with the front track bar coming lose quite often. Has been a huge deal since Ive caught it every time. Just something to point out.

quickjoey is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC