Arb questions - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-13-2014, 01:04 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
94wrangleryj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Medford/Klamath Falls Oregon
Posts: 127
Arb questions

Got a couple questions about arb.... I put in a rear arb in the dana 35 but I am having a leak. It engages and the compressor doesn't come back on until I drive a couple feet an then the compressor runs.... Sometimes I hear air come out the air breather for the axle..... I'm thinking its a air connection problem going into the axle. Can anyone explain how the fittings are supposed to be? And also...... I have the front dana 30 arb to install soon and is there anyway to install the arb with the axle still in the jeep? Or is it pretty much maditory to pull the axle out? Thanks, Jared

__________________
98 jeep wrangler 4.0 (soon to build)
ARB's front and rear
94wrangleryj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-13-2014, 01:07 AM   #2
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 30,860
Images: 2
Are you running stock axle shafts in your rear Dana 35? If so, that axle's axle shafts aren't strong enough to hold up to a locker. Really.

So far as the air leak is concerned, that is normally caused by an inexperienced ARB installer. Who installed it?

__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-13-2014, 01:24 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
94wrangleryj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Medford/Klamath Falls Oregon
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Are you running stock axle shafts in your rear Dana 35? If so, that axle's axle shafts aren't strong enough to hold up to a locker. Really.

So far as the air leak is concerned, that is normally caused by an inexperienced ARB installer. Who installed it?
Not sure on the shafts.... I bought it from a guy who had the axle put together at a 4x4 shop. Its been through the rubicon once all ready from the old owner and I know it was done right. Where I think the leak is from is that I had to switch out the fitting in the axle from the old style to the new one and I don't think the copper fitting is setting right. If that makes since. I know the dana 35 is crap but I only paid $200 for the locker with the ARB compressor. Its just a short time axle until I can afford something stronger
__________________
98 jeep wrangler 4.0 (soon to build)
ARB's front and rear
94wrangleryj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-13-2014, 03:40 AM   #4
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
98 tj sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: eden nc
Posts: 1,371
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94wrangleryj View Post

Not sure on the shafts.... I bought it from a guy who had the axle put together at a 4x4 shop. Its been through the rubicon once all ready from the old owner and I know it was done right. Where I think the leak is from is that I had to switch out the fitting in the axle from the old style to the new one and I don't think the copper fitting is setting right. If that makes since. I know the dana 35 is crap but I only paid $200 for the locker with the ARB compressor. Its just a short time axle until I can afford something stronger
So I'm a little confused if the old owner installed everything and built the rear axle how did u pay 200 for the locker.
__________________
98 sport, 4inch skyjacker lift, 35" goodyear wrangler mtrs with kevlar on 15x10 black streetlock wheels, smittybuilt rear bumber with tire carrier, warn m8000 winch, windshield mount hellas, and a rhinolined interior, with aussie locked dana 30 front dana 44 rear with a yukon grizzly locker, 4.10 gears with a 3speed 32rh
98 tj sport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
94wrangleryj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Medford/Klamath Falls Oregon
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 tj sport View Post
So I'm a little confused if the old owner installed everything and built the rear axle how did u pay 200 for the locker.
I'm sorry..... that was confusing..... I paid $200 for the dana 35 with the arb completely set up and ready to go
__________________
98 jeep wrangler 4.0 (soon to build)
ARB's front and rear
94wrangleryj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
98 tj sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: eden nc
Posts: 1,371
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94wrangleryj View Post

I'm sorry..... that was confusing..... I paid $200 for the dana 35 with the arb completely set up and ready to go
O ok just be ready and have some spare shafts especially if it has stock shafts and anything over 31"tires
__________________
98 sport, 4inch skyjacker lift, 35" goodyear wrangler mtrs with kevlar on 15x10 black streetlock wheels, smittybuilt rear bumber with tire carrier, warn m8000 winch, windshield mount hellas, and a rhinolined interior, with aussie locked dana 30 front dana 44 rear with a yukon grizzly locker, 4.10 gears with a 3speed 32rh
98 tj sport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
94wrangleryj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Medford/Klamath Falls Oregon
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 tj sport View Post
O ok just be ready and have some spare shafts especially if it has stock shafts and anything over 31"tires
Haha I know how crappy the dana 35 is..... that's why I have arbs and lock the front more than the back. Its just to get me by until I build a dana 44 or ford 8.8
__________________
98 jeep wrangler 4.0 (soon to build)
ARB's front and rear
94wrangleryj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
94wrangleryj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Medford/Klamath Falls Oregon
Posts: 127
So again..... Back to my original question. Is there any way to install the ARB in the front axle of the jeep without taking it out? Thanks
__________________
98 jeep wrangler 4.0 (soon to build)
ARB's front and rear
94wrangleryj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-13-2014, 03:48 PM   #9
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
98 tj sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: eden nc
Posts: 1,371
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94wrangleryj View Post
So again..... Back to my original question. Is there any way to install the ARB in the front axle of the jeep without taking it out? Thanks
U mean the whole assembly or just the shafts?
__________________
98 sport, 4inch skyjacker lift, 35" goodyear wrangler mtrs with kevlar on 15x10 black streetlock wheels, smittybuilt rear bumber with tire carrier, warn m8000 winch, windshield mount hellas, and a rhinolined interior, with aussie locked dana 30 front dana 44 rear with a yukon grizzly locker, 4.10 gears with a 3speed 32rh
98 tj sport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-13-2014, 04:10 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
94wrangleryj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Medford/Klamath Falls Oregon
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 tj sport View Post
U mean the whole assembly or just the shafts?
I bought an dana 30 with the arb in it but its an YJ axle and has 4.56 gears so I'm going to pull out the arb of that axle and put it into my dana 30. Is it possible to do with the axle in the rig still?
__________________
98 jeep wrangler 4.0 (soon to build)
ARB's front and rear
94wrangleryj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-13-2014, 04:28 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
479jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Elkins Arkansas
Posts: 171
I would think so if you have enough room to drill the hole for the new air line
479jeep is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #12
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
98 tj sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: eden nc
Posts: 1,371
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94wrangleryj View Post

I bought an dana 30 with the arb in it but its an YJ axle and has 4.56 gears so I'm going to pull out the arb of that axle and put it into my dana 30. Is it possible to do with the axle in the rig still?
I would think so but I'm not 100% positive idk if a yj 30 is the same as a tj 30
__________________
98 sport, 4inch skyjacker lift, 35" goodyear wrangler mtrs with kevlar on 15x10 black streetlock wheels, smittybuilt rear bumber with tire carrier, warn m8000 winch, windshield mount hellas, and a rhinolined interior, with aussie locked dana 30 front dana 44 rear with a yukon grizzly locker, 4.10 gears with a 3speed 32rh
98 tj sport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-13-2014, 11:04 PM   #13
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
doclouie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In the mountains.
Posts: 3,653
Images: 4
I had an ARB locked Dana 35 with Chromalloy shafts and it actually did fine and most of the time I play in the rocks of Moab. That being said I always carried spare shafts and worried when it would break. As for regearing the answer is yes you can do it when it is in the Jeep, but it would be quite the pain. The real question is have you done it before? Rebuilding the whole engine is an easier job than regearing properly. The cost of the tools alone will run you more than paying someone else to do it.
__________________
2000 Sahara, 3.5" Rubicon Express Lift, 1" spring spacer & 1" Body Lift, 33" or 35" BFG Mud tires, Front & Rear ARB, Rancho 9000 shocks, UCF Ultra High Belly Up

doclouie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2014, 01:26 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
94wrangleryj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Medford/Klamath Falls Oregon
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by doclouie View Post
I had an ARB locked Dana 35 with Chromalloy shafts and it actually did fine and most of the time I play in the rocks of Moab. That being said I always carried spare shafts and worried when it would break. As for regearing the answer is yes you can do it when it is in the Jeep, but it would be quite the pain. The real question is have you done it before? Rebuilding the whole engine is an easier job than regearing properly. The cost of the tools alone will run you more than paying someone else to do it.
me personally? No but I have helped.... my roommate gears and has gear 2 or 3 of my rigs for me so he's the one that will be doing the installing

__________________
98 jeep wrangler 4.0 (soon to build)
ARB's front and rear
94wrangleryj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC