Bad Tranny seal? - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
A1ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Miami
Posts: 116
Bad Tranny seal?

I have a leak under my 1999 4.0L jeep. it has the AX-15 5spd tranny. The front of the tranny is pretty moist and so is the end of the oil pan. I checked engine oil and it seems good. I did both tranny and oil changes about 2 months ago. as far as i know i think its the tranny seal but i may be wrong.

this is after a couple hours of it being parked after driving










__________________
2014 Rubicon, stock for now
A1ex is offline   Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
A1ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Miami
Posts: 116





any thoughts?

__________________
2014 Rubicon, stock for now
A1ex is offline   Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 5,130
Check the back of the valve cover next to the firewall. Its pretty common that its a valve cover leak and it drips down the back of the motor past the Rear Main Seal and onto the tranny and then on to the floor. Seem to occur on both the 4.0L and the 2.5L.
__________________
'99 Chili Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
A1ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Miami
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextreme View Post
Check the back of the valve cover next to the firewall. Its pretty common that its a valve cover leak and it drips down the back of the motor past the Rear Main Seal and onto the tranny and then on to the floor. Seem to occur on both the 4.0L and the 2.5L.
if that's the issue is it something to be worried about? and if so what should be done?
__________________
2014 Rubicon, stock for now
A1ex is offline   Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 5,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1ex View Post
if that's the issue is it something to be worried about? and if so what should be done?
If its a valve cover leaking, its a pretty easy fix. Sometimes you can just retorque the bolts back down. Or just unbolt the valve cover and replace the gasket. Took me about 1 hour to fix my gasket taking my time. I could now probably do it in 30mins.
__________________
'99 Chili Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
A1ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Miami
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextreme View Post
If its a valve cover leaking, its a pretty easy fix. Sometimes you can just retorque the bolts back down. Or just unbolt the valve cover and replace the gasket. Took me about 1 hour to fix my gasket taking my time. I could now probably do it in 30mins.
checked the valve cover as much as i could from the top and bottom of the jeep, seems to be dry. oil seems to just be coming from the bottom. im trying to figure out if its the tranny seal or engine seal
__________________
2014 Rubicon, stock for now
A1ex is offline   Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
A1ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Miami
Posts: 116
as you can see in these 2 pics, the front of the tranny and rear of oil pan seem to be moist

__________________
2014 Rubicon, stock for now
A1ex is offline   Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Duma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 108
Looks like rear main seal. If no oil leaking from the valve cover rear left side (visible from the engine bay when standing next to the front left wheel), it's probably the rear main. Plenty of write ups on it here.
Duma is offline   Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
A1ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Miami
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duma View Post
Looks like rear main seal. If no oil leaking from the valve cover rear left side (visible from the engine bay when standing next to the front left wheel), it's probably the rear main. Plenty of write ups on it here.
im thinking and hoping its that too but since my tranny seems to be wet also im a little skeptical and just want to be reassured i guess lol rather deal with the RMS than having to pull the tranny
__________________
2014 Rubicon, stock for now
A1ex is offline   Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
A1ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Miami
Posts: 116
so if other could give their opinions that would be great

__________________
2014 Rubicon, stock for now
A1ex is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC