Best way to re-gear - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
mattTJaaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 175
Best way to re-gear

I'm currently running 33's as long as my 4.0's my DD, what's a good regear ratio that won't kill my gas for now, and will allow me to run 35's in the future. I figure 4.10's but I don't know too much about this process. How hard is it to do this yourself, and what's an average price range to be looking at for my dana 30/35? I'd have to do both at the same time right?

mattTJaaron is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
I like Jeeps...

WF Supporting Member
 
jeepwayoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 3,055
What transmission do you have?

__________________
--------------------------------------------------------
jeepwayoflife is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
mattTJaaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwayoflife View Post
What transmission do you have?
Stock 5speed
mattTJaaron is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
JVLemur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 4,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattTJaaron View Post
Stock 5speed
456 will be near stock on 33s will run 35s but I'd be cautious of the D35 unless you're upgrading that too.
__________________
Don't follow the Hype, follow your Heart.
JVLemur is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
LukeEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 577
I'm in the same boat as you OP . The consensus is 4.56 for 33s. Some say the gear is a little low but the majority is 4.56. Should be able to do 35s on 4.56. Be careful with the 35 on 35s you will most likely want to reinforce it or swap axles. I'm going to put chromoly shafts in my 35 when I regear it.
LukeEC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
mattTJaaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeEC View Post
I'm in the same boat as you OP . The consensus is 4.56 for 33s. Some say the gear is a little low but the majority is 4.56. Should be able to do 35s on 4.56. Be careful with the 35 on 35s you will most likely want to reinforce it or swap axles. I'm going to put chromoly shafts in my 35 when I regear it.
How bad do the 4.56 affect the daily drive ability? My tj's my daily driver for at least 4 more months
mattTJaaron is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
NavyDoc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 231
I run 4.56 gears with 32s, average about 17-18mpg. And run around 2600 rpms at 65mph 2.5L 5 speed
NavyDoc1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
LukeEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 577
Regearing is supposed to make it better not worse. I'm at 3.07 right now on my 33s standard transmission and it runs I just feel chugging on hills
LukeEC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattTJaaron View Post
How bad do the 4.56 affect the daily drive ability? My tj's my daily driver for at least 4 more months
Why do you think running the proper gear ratio and putting the engine back into its powerband would have a negative effect on anything?
__________________
Daily Driver Rock Rig
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
mattTJaaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 175
I was talking about gas mileage... Does it negatively affect the gas mileage in any way?
And how difficult is this task for the weekend at home garage? Both axels have to be ran at the same gear ratio, correct?
mattTJaaron is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
NavyDoc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post

Why do you think running the proper gear ratio and putting the engine back into its powerband would have a negative effect on anything?
In all fairness to the OP until I understood how gearing actually worked I used to have the same concerns, it might just be a lack of knowledge. We all had that at one time or another. Lol
NavyDoc1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Atthehop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW, NJ
Posts: 3,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattTJaaron View Post
I was talking about gas mileage... Does it negatively affect the gas mileage in any way? And how difficult is this task for the weekend at home garage? Both axels have to be ran at the same gear ratio, correct?
If your not experienced and do not have the necessary tools you should not attempt it. Yes both axles must be the same ratio if you plan on using 4x4.
__________________
Retired my 94 YJ 4cyl 5spd @ 200K
Now in a 04 TJ 4cyl 5spd CV @120K+
Both as a commuter vehicle in NW, NJ
April 2012.downsized and now a 99er.
Atthehop is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattTJaaron View Post
I was talking about gas mileage... Does it negatively affect the gas mileage in any way?
And how difficult is this task for the weekend at home garage? Both axels have to be ran at the same gear ratio, correct?
Gas mileage--let's do this again. Your engine won't be working as hard as it is now. Wouldn't it make complete sense for the resultant change in fuel mileage to be positive with a minimum of no change?

Difficulty--if you have to ask, it's probably over your head.

Yes, both axles have to be the same ratio......
__________________
Daily Driver Rock Rig
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
mattTJaaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Gas mileage--let's do this again. Your engine won't be working as hard as it is now. Wouldn't it make complete sense for the resultant change in fuel mileage to be positive with a minimum of no change? Difficulty--if you have to ask, it's probably over your head. Yes, both axles have to be the same ratio......
There's no reason for your smart ass remarks, I'm just trying to grasp this concept.
mattTJaaron is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
rawlmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Erie, CO
Posts: 58
+1
rawlmark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
NavyDoc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattTJaaron View Post
I was talking about gas mileage... Does it negatively affect the gas mileage in any way?
And how difficult is this task for the weekend at home garage? Both axels have to be ran at the same gear ratio, correct?
Going to the 4.56 gears should put you pretty much back to how it would be running stock size tires, so your gas mileage should also be where it was with stock tires, as far as doing the gear change yourself, No it's not something an average weekend mechanic should try, it requires specialized tools and knowledge to do it right.
NavyDoc1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
mattTJaaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDoc1 View Post
Going to the 4.56 gears should put you pretty much back to how it would be running stock size tires, so your gas mileage should also be where it was with stock tires, as far as doing the gear change yourself, No it's not something an average weekend mechanic should try, it requires specialized tools and knowledge to do it right.
Thank you, that's clears it up great for me, would 4.56 be sufficient with 35's for the future?
mattTJaaron is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
rawlmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Erie, CO
Posts: 58
I'm running Stock Gears at the moment on an 04 Sport with 31x10.5x15 BFG ATKO. My Speedo is dead on accurate. Is your Speedo accurate with 33's? Will re-gearing will get the Speedo accurate if it's not?
rawlmark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattTJaaron View Post
There's no reason for your smart ass remarks, I'm just trying to grasp this concept.
Smart ass to you. Real talk to me.

Logical deduction man....it works well.
__________________
Daily Driver Rock Rig
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
lovemachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDoc1 View Post
it's not something an average weekend mechanic should try, it requires specialized tools and knowledge to do it right.

I still need to regear as well. I'd like to attempt to do it, but I'm more willing to pay someone to do it, while teaching me how to do it at the same time.

I'm done with paying some incompetent moron, like 4 Wheel Parts, to work on my crap.
lovemachine is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
mattTJaaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlmark View Post
I'm running Stock Gears at the moment on an 04 Sport with 31x10.5x15 BFG ATKO. My Speedo is dead on accurate. Is your Speedo accurate with 33's? Will re-gearing will get the Speedo accurate if it's not?
My speedo's wayyy off, I got a new transfer case a while back and it's about 15% off from that, so I wouldn't know. But I don't think it would change much. If it does you can always get a speedohealer for like 80-100 bucks, plug and play system to correct your speedometer
mattTJaaron is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
mattTJaaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemachine View Post
I still need to regear as well. I'd like to attempt to do it, but I'm more willing to pay someone to do it, while teaching me how to do it at the same time. I'm done with paying some incompetent moron, like 4 Wheel Parts, to work on my crap.
That's what I've been saying 50$ an hour to take apart something I want to take apart? No thanks... Id rather it take me twice the time than to have someone else do it. I just wish there was a place to rent a spot at a shop. If I had the tools I would never need a mechanic again....
mattTJaaron is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
harryhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 229
I just finished regearing a D44 to replace the D35 in my tj. Went from 4.10's to 4.88's. I've got a 2.5L, 5 sp and 33's. Now I'm working on regearing a HP30 to replace the standard rotation 30 up front.

This was the first time doing a regear, but have done motor, tranny, axle swaps in the past. It took me the better part of 3 weeks to get the pattern, backlash and preloads correct. I must have taken the carrier/ pinion in and out 15-20 times.

I also destroyed one carrier bearing and had to purchase an extra set of shims after destroying so many dialing everything in.

Also spent about $400 in tools and bearing/races for set-up too to be able to do the swap.

Of course I've wanted to know how to set-up a R&P for a long time so to me it's worth it.
harryhood is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
MTJeepTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lolo Montana
Posts: 249
OP do you know your current ratio? Is it 3.07 or 3.55? If you keep that dana 35 you may have to get another carrier. There is a carrier break between 3.73 and down/up. They do make a thick cut gear for the dana 30 in 4.88. I would do 4.88 or 4.56 and a dana 44 or 8.8 rear swap. Just my advise.
__________________
In The Mountains
MTJeepTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Nlburden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 416
My buddy runs 4.10 gears on 35s with no issues at all. I drove it personally and thought it had loads of torque!! Also my cousins jeep which i also drove has 3.07 gears on 33s, it doesnt have any issues either. I drive a 4 cyl for now which is on 33s and has stock gears, the 4 cyl lacks going up hills but other then that has no issues.

My conclusion , i think 4.10 gears is perfect for 33s, 35s on a 4Litre, if you want more jam do the 4.56.
__________________
Always the one with the most carnage, most stuck
Nlburden is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
NavyDoc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryhood View Post
I just finished regearing a D44 to replace the D35 in my tj. Went from 4.10's to 4.88's. I've got a 2.5L, 5 sp and 33's. Now I'm working on regearing a HP30 to replace the standard rotation 30 up front.

This was the first time doing a regear, but have done motor, tranny, axle swaps in the past. It took me the better part of 3 weeks to get the pattern, backlash and preloads correct. I must have taken the carrier/ pinion in and out 15-20 times.

I also destroyed one carrier bearing and had to purchase an extra set of shims after destroying so many dialing everything in.

Also spent about $400 in tools and bearing/races for set-up too to be able to do the swap.

Of course I've wanted to know how to set-up a R&P for a long time so to me it's worth it.
Props for doing it yourself! I'm lucky in that my brother owns a full on race shop here in Pa. He employs a guy that does nothing but transmissions and rear ends, he did both my D44 rear and D30 front for just the price of the parts, I've been wrenching on vehicles since I was like 10yrs old. 52 now and still won't get into doing a re-gear myself. Lol
NavyDoc1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
idiot magnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Noblesville, IN and Mackinaw City, MI for 2 more weeks
Posts: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattTJaaron View Post
My speedo's wayyy off, I got a new transfer case a while back and it's about 15% off from that, so I wouldn't know. But I don't think it would change much. If it does you can always get a speedohealer for like 80-100 bucks, plug and play system to correct your speedometer
You can replace the speedo gear with one with the correct amount of teeth to get your speedometer correct. There are charts for that. Very simple and cheap to do. You just need to make sure the little arrow is pointing to the correct number when you install it or it won't work.
There are so many posts about running the correct gears and you will always find someone saying that I run 35's with 4.10 or 3.73 and it's fine or 33's with 3.07's and it's fine. What a bunch of crap.
I can't wait to get these 3.73's out of mine and run 4.88's which will get my power and gas mileage back to normal. I'll be running a HP30 and D44.
idiot magnet is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #28
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jp2611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Wayne IN
Posts: 5,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot magnet View Post
You can replace the speedo gear with one with the correct amount of teeth to get your speedometer correct. There are charts for that. Very simple and cheap to do. You just need to make sure the little arrow is pointing to the correct number when you install it or it won't work.
There are so many posts about running the correct gears and you will always find someone saying that I run 35's with 4.10 or 3.73 and it's fine or 33's with 3.07's and it's fine. What a bunch of crap.
I can't wait to get these 3.73's out of mine and run 4.88's which will get my power and gas mileage back to normal. I'll be running a HP30 and D44.
Last one in a long line.....When I went to 33's with my 3.73 and 5speed, yeah I noticed but "its not that bad", until I went to use 5th gear. And when I went off road and actually got in some real mud and clay I was done. I NEVER got stuck on or off road that I couldn't get out until I went to 33's.

I finally regeared ( I paid a guy who used to make dana 44axles at Dana here in the Fort). I got lucky my TJ sport came with 4.0 5speed dana 44 rear and 30 front also has lsd.

Since the regear it is great 5th gear works I DID HAVE to change speedo gear!! Unfortunately I was in a motor vehicle accident and have not been able to wheel due to a busted collar bone...got a few more months of healing before I can find out how much better it is off road. I also add SYE and lower control arms won't be long and TT be done than I will be SET!!!

jp2611 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC