bumpstop extension...again - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 362
bumpstop extension...again

Been trying to figure out how long to make my bumpstop extensions front and rear. I have OME shocks and RC 2.5" coils. I was looking at the OME kits online for an idea and some come with only rear bumpstop extensions and some come with 2" extended front and rear. Can someone explain why you would need bump stops in the rear only and not in the front? Is it safe to say if I put on 2.5" of lift I would need to extend my stops close to that? I have 33" tires and 2.5" of lift on stock bump stops and I'm afraid to disco because I don't want to smash my fenders. I found rear and front 1.5" extensions would those work or will they be to long/short? I can always cut them down but I don't know what length they need to be.

bato is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose Calif.
Posts: 1,006
I can't answer your question directly but if 2.5" of lift is all that you have with 33" tires you are going to have problems. A combo to get yourself closer to 4" would be better. Why limit your wheel travel unneccesarily? Have you considered call RC and asking them what they would suggest?

03 RUBI is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,628
based on shocks alone:
OME N66's need no bumpstops in front.
OME N67's need 1.25" bumpstops in the rear.

based on 33's:
you need 2" bumpstops all the way around.

or add a 1" BL and 1" bumpstops.
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
based on shocks alone:
OME N66's need no bumpstops in front.
OME N67's need 1.25" bumpstops in the rear.

based on 33's:
you need 2" bumpstops all the way around.

or add a 1" BL and 1" bumpstops.
I have a 2.5" suspension, 1.25"BL and 1" MML so would 1.5" front and rear be ok?

Those are the shocks I have as well the n66/67

ANd are you saying 2" total or 2" extension on what is already there?
bato is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose Calif.
Posts: 1,006
You only mentioned the 2.5" coils, thus my comment concerning having a possible problem with 33' tires.
03 RUBI is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-26-2010, 09:51 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by bato View Post
I have a 2.5" suspension, 1.25"BL and 1" MML so would 1.5" front and rear be ok?

Those are the shocks I have as well the n66/67

ANd are you saying 2" total or 2" extension on what is already there?
then you need 1.25" rear and 1" front.

the rear 1.25" is to keep the shocks from bottoming out, but will also keep the tires out of the sheet metal.

the front 1" is just to keep the tires out of the front fender metal.

with that setup, if the tires are rubbing the flares, then you need to modify the flares, not the bumpstops or the fenders themselves.
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-27-2010, 03:32 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 362
Well since a hockey puck is about an inch thick do you think I would be ok drilling and mounting a puck on each perch front/rear? I have been told I need 2" extensions all the way around, 1.5" extensions, 1" extensions, I'm confused.
bato is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by bato View Post
Well since a hockey puck is about an inch thick do you think I would be ok drilling and mounting a puck on each perch front/rear? I have been told I need 2" extensions all the way around, 1.5" extensions, 1" extensions, I'm confused.
with the setup you have now, 1.5" rear and 1" front will be fine. unless you have an aftermarket track bar & differential cover, then things get more complicated.

yes you can use hockey pucks, but make sure to attach them with epoxy. you can't attach them with a bolt, the hockey puck will collapse when you go to torque the bolt.

UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 362
wow, I was going to drill and bolt them to the bottom of the perch. I've heard of people bolting them on but from the picture it doesn't look like a good idea. How much can you torque them before they collapse? what kind of epoxy should I use that will hold up to salt and abuse?
bato is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by bato View Post
wow, I was going to drill and bolt them to the bottom of the perch. I've heard of people bolting them on but from the picture it doesn't look like a good idea. How much can you torque them before they collapse? what kind of epoxy should I use that will hold up to salt and abuse?
i'd try JB Weld or something like that. make sure to clean, sand & scuff up the surfaces to get better adhering.

btw, thats like 15-20 ft-lbs IIRC...bumpstops with 7/16" or 1/2" bolt will take twice that much torque without issue.
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 12:10 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 362
Alright I've got the 2.5" lift all together but I don't have bump stops yet. If I don't disconnect the sway bar and I don't leave the pavement until I get bump stop extensions can I drive it to work until I get extensions without the risk of over compressing the shocks or hurting anything?
bato is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 12:26 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by bato View Post
Alright I've got the 2.5" lift all together but I don't have bump stops yet. If I don't disconnect the sway bar and I don't leave the pavement until I get bump stop extensions can I drive it to work until I get extensions without the risk of over compressing the shocks or hurting anything?
yea, you'll probably be fine.

UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Distance btween bumpstop? rooster TJ Tech Forum 6 03-08-2010 11:11 AM
Bumpstop Extensions - Questions nicolas-eric TJ General Discussion Forum 9 10-29-2007 03:43 AM
antenna adapter or extension pking911 Communications and Electronics 5 06-18-2007 11:27 AM
Bumpstop extensions again, Sorry!! jherrin215 TJ General Discussion Forum 6 04-10-2007 07:59 PM
brake line extension brackets... JeepGuyLJ General Jeep Discussion 7 02-18-2007 03:09 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC