Can't locate clicking noise under dash - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
99er's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 240
Images: 3
Can't locate clicking noise under dash

When my 99 TJ is cold after first starting there is a clicking noise that sounds like a relay going bad. It will continue for up to a couple minutes until it warms up. The noise seems to be coming from under the center of the dash somewhere. I checked the two relays behind the glove box and the accessory relay on the driver's side. They are not the source of the noise. Is there another relay under the dash? If not a relay, any other sources for making this noise?

__________________
99 Sahara - 5 speed
12,500 lb Winch, synthetic winch line, Spyder Front Bumper, Aircraft Lights
Rancho 2.5" Suspension Lift, 1" body lift.
285/75/16 Guard Dogs, Level 8 Alloy Wheels
4.56 Gears, Dana 44 Rear, Spartan Locker in Front
99er is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
99er's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 240
Images: 3
Cold Weather Ticking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99er View Post
When my 99 TJ is cold after first starting there is a clicking noise that sounds like a relay going bad. It will continue for up to a couple minutes until it warms up. The noise seems to be coming from under the center of the dash somewhere. I checked the two relays behind the glove box and the accessory relay on the driver's side. They are not the source of the noise. Is there another relay under the dash? If not a relay, any other sources for making this noise?
With the return of cooler weather, the ticking has came back. I still can't locate it but think it really sounds like a relay. Is there a relay for the turn signals?

__________________
99 Sahara - 5 speed
12,500 lb Winch, synthetic winch line, Spyder Front Bumper, Aircraft Lights
Rancho 2.5" Suspension Lift, 1" body lift.
285/75/16 Guard Dogs, Level 8 Alloy Wheels
4.56 Gears, Dana 44 Rear, Spartan Locker in Front
99er is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
MikalCarbine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bloomfield, CT
Posts: 1,182
I noticed something similar, when idling (maybe with heat on?) I hear a click under the dash, idle changes slightly, another click and it drops
__________________
2002 TJ Sport 4.0
33x12.5r15 MTZ
3" AEV/OME lifted

Usually posting on my Samsung Captivate Android
MikalCarbine is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Shelby427's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lakeland FL and Hooversville PA
Posts: 2,095
The turn signal flasher/relay is mounted by the switch in the steering column.

You sure you're not hearing an exhaust manifold leak? If it's a minor one, as soon as the metal gets hot enough it will close up the gap and away goes your noise.

And the colder out it is, the longer it takes to go away. Also when it's colder out you have the jeep closed up trapping the noise inside. During warmer weather, you have windows open, doors off, or top off, letting the noise escape and be less prevalent.
__________________
97 Sahara, 74 Renegade, 72 CJ5, 55 Willy's (the Beast) Boss 302, 6:34 gearing, Bose 901 speakers.
God I miss that Jeep. Forgot the kinda Jeep, 80 SX4.
Shelby427 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
fishband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ORLANDO FL
Posts: 220
when my 97 tj gets wet or condensation/dew from sitting out uncovered the clock spring makes a ticking sound until it dries
__________________
I don't wanna grow up
fishband is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Heliotropic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 120
I've heard a similar click also and found that it is from the A/C compressor cycling (or a relay activating it), even when not in cooling mode. I found this statement in my owners manual:
"For improved safety, the A/C compressor is activated when 'Mix' or 'Defrost' modes are selected. This is done to assist in drying the air and it will help in keeping the windshield from fogging."
I was able to confirm that this the cause of the clicking by turning all air conditioning/heating functions off, and by selecting either face or floor with the fan on.
__________________
'04 TJ Sport
4.0L, 5 spd
Teraflex BB
31x10.5x15 Pro Comp Extreme

My Hardtop Repair and Paint
Heliotropic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
MikalCarbine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bloomfield, CT
Posts: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliotropic
I've heard a similar click also and found that it is from the A/C compressor cycling (or a relay activating it), even when not in cooling mode. I found this statement in my owners manual:
"For improved safety, the A/C compressor is activated when 'Mix' or 'Defrost' modes are selected. This is done to assist in drying the air and it will help in keeping the windshield from fogging."
I was able to confirm that this the cause of the clicking by turning all air conditioning/heating functions off, and by selecting either face or floor with the fan on.
Good info, is there a way to disable this or the AC from turning on when the vents are on floor & dash?
__________________
2002 TJ Sport 4.0
33x12.5r15 MTZ
3" AEV/OME lifted

Usually posting on my Samsung Captivate Android
MikalCarbine is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Heliotropic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikalCarbine View Post
Good info, is there a way to disable this or the AC from turning on when the vents are on floor & dash?
The A/C won't be engaged when set to 'Floor' or 'Panel' but will be engaged if you use 'Bi-Level' or 'Defrost'. The only way I can think of to disable the A/C for all modes would be to pull the fuse for the compressor, but you'd probably still hear the click of the relay.
__________________
'04 TJ Sport
4.0L, 5 spd
Teraflex BB
31x10.5x15 Pro Comp Extreme

My Hardtop Repair and Paint
Heliotropic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Jeepn Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby427 View Post
The turn signal flasher/relay is mounted by the switch in the steering column.

You sure you're not hearing an exhaust manifold leak? If it's a minor one, as soon as the metal gets hot enough it will close up the gap and away goes your noise.

And the colder out it is, the longer it takes to go away. Also when it's colder out you have the jeep closed up trapping the noise inside. During warmer weather, you have windows open, doors off, or top off, letting the noise escape and be less prevalent.
Mine make the ticking exhaust manifold noise. I figure that's what it is anyway. Goes away after warming up for a minute. Guessing its such a minor leak that its not worth fixing? Any reason to spend time or money on this or is it bad for the engine or me?
Jeepn Again is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
99er's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 240
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby427 View Post
The turn signal flasher/relay is mounted by the switch in the steering column.

You sure you're not hearing an exhaust manifold leak? If it's a minor one, as soon as the metal gets hot enough it will close up the gap and away goes your noise.

And the colder out it is, the longer it takes to go away. Also when it's colder out you have the jeep closed up trapping the noise inside. During warmer weather, you have windows open, doors off, or top off, letting the noise escape and be less prevalent.
Thanks for the suggestion but I get the clicking noise even with the engine off. Turning the key to the acc position will start the clicking. It is up under the dash somewhere.
__________________
99 Sahara - 5 speed
12,500 lb Winch, synthetic winch line, Spyder Front Bumper, Aircraft Lights
Rancho 2.5" Suspension Lift, 1" body lift.
285/75/16 Guard Dogs, Level 8 Alloy Wheels
4.56 Gears, Dana 44 Rear, Spartan Locker in Front
99er is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
RUBI 4 MY MRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California/Nevada
Posts: 1,144
Do you get one click or a series of clicks when you turn to the acc. position? There are only 4 things that get powered in the acc. position unless there are after market additions to the system. The cig/accessory relay (to fuse 19 to the power outlet & the switch auxiliary power wire taped to harness behind the fuse block), the turn signals (from fuse 13), the wipers (from fuse 14) & the radio (from fuse 15).

Switch to acc. & when the clicking starts try the wipers, signals, radio & the lighter or something powered from it one at a time & see what happens. If anything has been added like an alarm or lights check them if they are wired to work off the acc. as well.



You can also try removing each of the fuses listed above & see if that affects the clicking. That might help isolate the problem.
__________________


'05 Rubi TJ Unlimited
'93 Toyota 4Runner
RUBI 4 MY MRS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
TheBigMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Not where I want to be...
Posts: 775
I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. My '01 make a series of rhythmic clicks whenever I drive it. It makes one click, followed by a second click about a second later. Then it will be a few minutes, and the cycle repeats. The sound is definitely coming from the passenger side, but I havent tried to narrow it down any further than that. I've found that it goes away, if I turn up the radio.
__________________
Teamwork makes the Dream work.
TheBigMan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
RUBI 4 MY MRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California/Nevada
Posts: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigMan View Post
I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. My '01 make a series of rhythmic clicks whenever I drive it. It makes one click, followed by a second click about a second later. Then it will be a few minutes, and the cycle repeats. The sound is definitely coming from the passenger side, but I havent tried to narrow it down any further than that. I've found that it goes away, if I turn up the radio.
Your circuits are the same as the '99 so same procedure as above (if clicking off the acc. position). Report your findings.
__________________


'05 Rubi TJ Unlimited
'93 Toyota 4Runner
RUBI 4 MY MRS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
TheBigMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Not where I want to be...
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBI 4 MY MRS View Post
Your circuits are the same as the '99 so same procedure as above (if clicking off the acc. position). Report your findings.
I just happened to go out for a drive tonight, and had the presence of mind to remember this discussion. I had the heat on, on the "panel only" blower position. No clicking. I turned it to "defrost" and the clicking started right away; it must be the A/C compressor relay.

See my sig for my feelings on this discussion, and the forum in general.
__________________
Teamwork makes the Dream work.
TheBigMan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
RUBI 4 MY MRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California/Nevada
Posts: 1,144
The A/C compressor relay is under the hood in the PDC. Are you sure you aren't hearing the vacuum actuators &/or their doors moving?
__________________


'05 Rubi TJ Unlimited
'93 Toyota 4Runner
RUBI 4 MY MRS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
99er's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 240
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBI 4 MY MRS View Post
Do you get one click or a series of clicks when you turn to the acc. position? There are only 4 things that get powered in the acc. position unless there are after market additions to the system. The cig/accessory relay (to fuse 19 to the power outlet & the switch auxiliary power wire taped to harness behind the fuse block), the turn signals (from fuse 13), the wipers (from fuse 14) & the radio (from fuse 15).

Switch to acc. & when the clicking starts try the wipers, signals, radio & the lighter or something powered from it one at a time & see what happens. If anything has been added like an alarm or lights check them if they are wired to work off the acc. as well.



You can also try removing each of the fuses listed above & see if that affects the clicking. That might help isolate the problem.
OK, I tested by having the key in the ACC position and pulled fuses. The clicking stopped on the radio fuse 15. So is there a rely on that circuit?

The factory or dealer did install a CD changer/player that was mounted behind the back seat and there is a wire that runs from the player to a metal box under the dash that is about the size of a deck of cards. It's hard to get at but that will be my next guess as the source of the sound if there is not a relay on that circuit.
__________________
99 Sahara - 5 speed
12,500 lb Winch, synthetic winch line, Spyder Front Bumper, Aircraft Lights
Rancho 2.5" Suspension Lift, 1" body lift.
285/75/16 Guard Dogs, Level 8 Alloy Wheels
4.56 Gears, Dana 44 Rear, Spartan Locker in Front
99er is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
RUBI 4 MY MRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California/Nevada
Posts: 1,144
No, no relay to the radio. The key powers fuse 15 which goes directly to the radio for its power. There might be a relay in that "box".(?)
__________________


'05 Rubi TJ Unlimited
'93 Toyota 4Runner
RUBI 4 MY MRS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
03Ruth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 689
^^^^^ The above auxilary power wire you talk about is that on all models? I am going to put in some backup lights and would like to use it but can't seem to find out where it's at. I have checked the spare fuse spot but it doesn't have any power going to it so I'm assuming it's just a holder. Also pics would be great I can't seem to find any
__________________
03' Freedom edition, 4.0, 5 speed, 4" zone lift, D30, Superior D35 with detroit locker, 4:56 gears, 33x12.5 bigfoot xt, 15x8 eagle alloys

God created all men equal, then a few of us became firefighters
03Ruth is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
SinfulDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 979
....

SinfulDragon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
RUBI 4 MY MRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California/Nevada
Posts: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Ruth View Post
^^^^^ The above auxilary power wire you talk about is that on all models? I am going to put in some backup lights and would like to use it but can't seem to find out where it's at. I have checked the spare fuse spot but it doesn't have any power going to it so I'm assuming it's just a holder. Also pics would be great I can't seem to find any
Not positive but I think only up to 2002 had the auxiliary wires.
__________________


'05 Rubi TJ Unlimited
'93 Toyota 4Runner
RUBI 4 MY MRS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-16-2012, 01:46 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
03Ruth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 689
Yeah that sounds about right! Its ok I can run power from the battery just trying to keep from having to put a hole in the firewall. Thanks for the reply.
__________________
03' Freedom edition, 4.0, 5 speed, 4" zone lift, D30, Superior D35 with detroit locker, 4:56 gears, 33x12.5 bigfoot xt, 15x8 eagle alloys

God created all men equal, then a few of us became firefighters
03Ruth is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
RUBI 4 MY MRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California/Nevada
Posts: 1,144
You can try a fuse tap to tap into power from the fuse block & not have to go to the battery. Some of those fuses are B+ & others are switched power with the key. I think 1,2 & 3 are B+ the others are switched. Tap a 20 amp if possible.

__________________


'05 Rubi TJ Unlimited
'93 Toyota 4Runner
RUBI 4 MY MRS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
clicking noise , relay

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC