Catalytic Converter - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Turbostixxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 19,713
Catalytic Converter

Ok guys,
I have been getting mixed reports about my cat. The honeycomb recently went bad, and dislodged it self. I cut the cat, honed out the honeycomb, not throwing any codes. I was told without the honeycomb the O2 sensor in the cat will tell the PCM to pump more fuel, however wouldn't no honeycomb do the opposite and tell the PCM that there is too much fuel and it is burning too rich? Just let me know, I plan on getting a new cat in a month when funds are better (damn christmas!) I just want to get a better idea of what's going on down there

__________________
_______
/l
,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

1997 Wrangler SE:4" Lift; 33x11x16; Q9000 Winch
Turbostixxx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,552
Images: 2
While the catalytic converter's 02 sensor has a role in setting the air/fuel mixture in newer TJs, it has no such role with your '97. The 02 sensor on your '97 TJ's cat only checks that the cat is working or not & will cause a Check Engine light if it finds the cat isn't working as it should.

__________________
Remember that having a different opinion doesn't also require one to be a jerk when expressing it.

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
1979WagoneerLTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbostixxx View Post
Ok guys,
I have been getting mixed reports about my cat. The honeycomb recently went bad, and dislodged it self. I cut the cat, honed out the honeycomb, not throwing any codes. I was told without the honeycomb the O2 sensor in the cat will tell the PCM to pump more fuel, however wouldn't no honeycomb do the opposite and tell the PCM that there is too much fuel and it is burning too rich? Just let me know, I plan on getting a new cat in a month when funds are better (damn christmas!) I just want to get a better idea of what's going on down there
Catalyst efficiency monitor - aka HO2S Bank 1 sensor 2. Your catalyst monitor will not run successfully, thus the mil will remain on and it will fail emissions compliance testing, if any.
__________________
THE MPGp
1979WagoneerLTD is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Turbostixxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 19,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979WagoneerLTD View Post
Catalyst efficiency monitor - aka HO2S Bank 1 sensor 2. Your catalyst monitor will not run successfully, thus the mil will remain on and it will fail emissions compliance testing, if any.
Please read, no code thrown, and no compliance testing, I was asking if it is causing my PCM to dump more fuel, which it will not
__________________
_______
/l
,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

1997 Wrangler SE:4" Lift; 33x11x16; Q9000 Winch
Turbostixxx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Turbostixxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 19,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
While the catalytic converter's 02 sensor has a role in setting the air/fuel mixture in newer TJs, it has no such role with your '97. The 02 sensor on your '97 TJ's cat only checks that the cat is working or not & will cause a Check Engine light if it finds the cat isn't working as it should.
Appreciate it Jerry, knew you would have the answer, going to weld it on and let her eat! Well, does the lack of honeycomb cause nay loss in mpg or hp?
__________________
_______
/l
,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

1997 Wrangler SE:4" Lift; 33x11x16; Q9000 Winch
Turbostixxx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
1979WagoneerLTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbostixxx View Post
Please read, no code thrown, and no compliance testing, I was asking if it is causing my PCM to dump more fuel, which it will not
I appreciate your feedback. Next time, just PM the man and you can avoid my advice.
__________________
THE MPGp
1979WagoneerLTD is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Mypantera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Harrisville RI
Posts: 169
When it comes time to replace your converter, I would recommend using Magnaflow Part No. 23227. It is a direct bolt in fit, replaces the pre converter and converter and has a spot for both sensors. I got mine at Advanced Auto (advancedauto.com) for $159.00 and had it shipped to me.

Buy MagnaFlow Direct Fit Catalytic Converter, Stainless Steel 23227 at Advance Auto Parts
Mypantera is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Turbostixxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 19,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mypantera View Post
When it comes time to replace your converter, I would recommend using Magnaflow Part No. 23227. It is a direct bolt in fit, replaces the pre converter and converter and has a spot for both sensors. I got mine at Advanced Auto (advancedauto.com) for $159.00 and had it shipped to me.

Buy MagnaFlow Direct Fit Catalytic Converter, Stainless Steel 23227 at Advance Auto Parts
Appreciate it pantera, that works, just the cat is $400 some places for exact bolt on, i will keep this in mind!
__________________
_______
/l
,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

1997 Wrangler SE:4" Lift; 33x11x16; Q9000 Winch
Turbostixxx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
sig25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North of Tampa
Posts: 15
I honestly think it depends on how many O2 sensors you have and where it/they is/are located. If you have only one O2 sensor before the Cat, there will be no bearing on the air/fuel ratio by 'gutting' your Cat. If you have 2 O2 sensors, one will be before the Cat and one after the Cat. I'm assuming because there is no CEL (assuming it works) that you have the single O2 sensor before (upstream) of the Cat.
sig25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Turbostixxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 19,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by sig25 View Post
I honestly think it depends on how many O2 sensors you have and where it/they is/are located. If you have only one O2 sensor before the Cat, there will be no bearing on the air/fuel ratio by 'gutting' your Cat. If you have 2 O2 sensors, one will be before the Cat and one after the Cat. I'm assuming because there is no CEL (assuming it works) that you have the single O2 sensor before (upstream) of the Cat.
Believe it or not i have 2! Which is why I'm shocked i haven't thrown a code, i have an o2 sensor on the cat and before the cat, i mean still pulling 200-220 miles on a full tank, which is why i was asking, just a curious bugger
__________________
_______
/l
,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

1997 Wrangler SE:4" Lift; 33x11x16; Q9000 Winch
Turbostixxx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
rockytj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: eastern shore of maryland
Posts: 49
I have a 97 and i am riding just like you are. There are two sensors, one in front of the cat and one in the tail end of the cat. It will throw a light eventually. Mine throws the light on about every 3 months or so and i just keep clearing it out. I can't remember the code at the moment, it's something like catylist efficiency threshold too high or something like that.
__________________
97 tj, 4.0l, hp30/44, 4" tera, 33" trxus, homemade bumpers and on board air.
rockytj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #12
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Turbostixxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 19,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytj View Post
I have a 97 and i am riding just like you are. There are two sensors, one in front of the cat and one in the tail end of the cat. It will throw a light eventually. Mine throws the light on about every 3 months or so and i just keep clearing it out. I can't remember the code at the moment, it's something like catylist efficiency threshold too high or something like that.
Its a p420 code if it throws one, thanks for the info, i will just go ahead and replace it haha

__________________
_______
/l
,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

1997 Wrangler SE:4" Lift; 33x11x16; Q9000 Winch
Turbostixxx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 AM.



Jeep«, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC