CEL help - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-12-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
TJ4X4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 21
Images: 8
CEL help

Ok....I know there are a lot of CEL threads here, but I have used up all my knowledge on this one. Here is what I have.

2005 TJ, 4.0L, Auto, with 90,000 miles

I was driving a week ago and my CEL came on, stopped by auto zone and the code was P2098 "Downstream fuel trim system 2 lean." So I take it by my mechanic and he says the ECM needs to be updated so he does it and the CEL goes away. 5 days and 200 miles later the CEL comes back on.

New code is now P0153 "O2 sensor circuit slow response bank 2, sensor 1."
I call the mechanic and he tells me to bring it back in tomorrow so he can see the code. Has anyone had this happen where different codes pop up? If so any ideas on how to fix this issue. It seems to me that the O2 sensors might be bad or on the way out.

Thanks

TJ4X4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
bschurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 87
I just replaced my 2 upstream O2 sensors - less than $80 in parts and 10 minutes of my time. No more P0153 for me.

There is a bunch of debate about when these sensors should be replaced and I replaced both upstream units instead of just the 1 that was related to the specific code that you mention. I shouldn't have to worry about them for the next 100K miles.

BTW - how is your gas mileage? If it is poor and/or declining - replacement of the 2 upstream sensors should provide some improvement.

__________________

2005 Wrangler
1997 Wrangler - RIP
2009 Infiniti G37 Convertible
2006 Harley Davidson V-Rod
1974 MGB - Garage Queen
bschurr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
TJ4X4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 21
Images: 8
Thanks for the info. I have the tools for it, just need to go and get the sensors. I will try that tomorrow.
TJ4X4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
bschurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ4X4 View Post
Thanks for the info. I have the tools for it, just need to go and get the sensors. I will try that tomorrow.
DO NOT buy Bosch sensors - get the NTK (OEM replacement) or Denso. There is a special Oxygen Sensor removal socket but it isn't really necessary - an open end 22mm or adjustable should do the trick.
__________________

2005 Wrangler
1997 Wrangler - RIP
2009 Infiniti G37 Convertible
2006 Harley Davidson V-Rod
1974 MGB - Garage Queen
bschurr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 07:56 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Roblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Barrie, ON Canada
Posts: 185
I'm sorry, but I've never heard of "the ecm needing to be updated"... that seems odd to me. if it's throwing a code its because the computer is seeing incorrect data from a sensor. an ecm in a jeep is not like a iphone where they keep doing changes and it requires updates...
__________________
My Build:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f322/pr...rt-409826.html

Jeepcentral.ca
Roblaza is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Majnoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Springfield Missouri
Posts: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roblaza View Post
I'm sorry, but I've never heard of "the ecm needing to be updated"... that seems odd to me. if it's throwing a code its because the computer is seeing incorrect data from a sensor. an ecm in a jeep is not like a iphone where they keep doing changes and it requires updates...
I vaguely remember a recall on 97's I think they did an update. I agree with Roblaza, he's full of it. Sounds like he cleared the code with a scan tool. For his "update" edit and although it was 2 different codes they are coming from the exhaust.
Majnoon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
TJ4X4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 21
Images: 8
Ok so I drop it off again at the mechanic (a national chain) and he now tells me the O2 sensors are good and that I need an ECM which costs $1000. I said put my Jeep back together and I'm on my way to pick it up. I get there ticked off, pick it up and drive it away. Just like going to a doctor, I go to the Jeep dealer in my area and ask them to run a diagnostic on it for a second opinion. They come back about an hour ago with the same response. "You need a new ECM."

Has anyone had an issue like this or even heard of it?
TJ4X4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-13-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Blackhawk36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 366
90k miles is about right for an O2 sensor to go bad. Why not just replace the obvious?
Blackhawk36 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
bschurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ4X4 View Post
Ok so I drop it off again at the mechanic (a national chain) and he now tells me the O2 sensors are good and that I need an ECM which costs $1000. I said put my Jeep back together and I'm on my way to pick it up. I get there ticked off, pick it up and drive it away. Just like going to a doctor, I go to the Jeep dealer in my area and ask them to run a diagnostic on it for a second opinion. They come back about an hour ago with the same response. "You need a new ECM."

Has anyone had an issue like this or even heard of it?
New ECM? Perhaps but, I would certainly question it as well!

What codes are you seeing?
What symptoms?
__________________

2005 Wrangler
1997 Wrangler - RIP
2009 Infiniti G37 Convertible
2006 Harley Davidson V-Rod
1974 MGB - Garage Queen
bschurr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
TJ4X4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 21
Images: 8
As far as symptoms, there are none, with the exception of the CEL coming on.
Codes I have so far:

1st time - P2098 - downstream fuel trim 2 lean

2nd time - P0153 - O2 sensor circuit slow response bank 2, sensor 1.

3rd time - P0152 - O2 sensor circuit high voltage, bank 2, sensor 1.
P0057 - HO2S heater control circuit low, bank 2, sensor 2.

I have to agree with Blackhawk that the focus is on the O2 sensors, especially in bank 2. I have gotten all these codes within the last week with no other trouble since I have had the Jeep. I will probably order the NTK sensors and install them before I do anything else especially since I can afford sensors easier than a new "PCM" as the dealer corrected me on it. Let me know what you think.
TJ4X4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-13-2014, 07:41 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
bschurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ4X4 View Post
As far as symptoms, there are none, with the exception of the CEL coming on.
Codes I have so far:

1st time - P2098 - downstream fuel trim 2 lean

2nd time - P0153 - O2 sensor circuit slow response bank 2, sensor 1.

3rd time - P0152 - O2 sensor circuit high voltage, bank 2, sensor 1.
P0057 - HO2S heater control circuit low, bank 2, sensor 2.

I have to agree with Blackhawk that the focus is on the O2 sensors, especially in bank 2. I have gotten all these codes within the last week with no other trouble since I have had the Jeep. I will probably order the NTK sensors and install them before I do anything else especially since I can afford sensors easier than a new "PCM" as the dealer corrected me on it. Let me know what you think.
I think you are on the right track! Nothing pointing to PCM replacement but all indications are pointing to O2 sensor issues.

What kind of mileage are you currently getting and how do you drive? Have you seen a drop in MPG since the CEL came on?
__________________

2005 Wrangler
1997 Wrangler - RIP
2009 Infiniti G37 Convertible
2006 Harley Davidson V-Rod
1974 MGB - Garage Queen
bschurr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2014, 02:08 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
RUBI 4 MY MRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California/Nevada
Posts: 1,311
The ‘05s have a TSB for 2096 & 2098 codes which requires a reflash of the PCM. However an exhaust leak can cause those codes too. I think the 2098 is bank 2 & I see that all the other codes are bank 2 so there may be some connection, so check for an exhaust leak on the back (bank 2) section of the manifold/pipe. Here a 2 links that may help.


Code 2096

How to fix code 2096
__________________


'05 Rubi TJ Unlimited
'93 Toyota 4Runner
RUBI 4 MY MRS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2014, 07:48 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Roblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Barrie, ON Canada
Posts: 185
sounds like you need an o2 to me. as ^ said, check for exhaust leaks PRE downstream o2, as well as check for vac leaks. they can throw rich or lean codes aswell.

__________________
My Build:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f322/pr...rt-409826.html

Jeepcentral.ca
Roblaza is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC