Clutch Click? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Toledo Ohio
Posts: 34
Clutch Click?

Hey guys,

I just bought a 2005 TJ 4.0 6 speed with 55k miles. It used to be a plow jeep so as you can imagine I've been running into a fair amount of problems with it. One seems to be the clutch. When I press the clutch about 75-80% it gives me a pretty noticeable "clicking" noise. It seems to only do it while its warm though.

I took it to the dealership and the mechanic told me one of the springs on the clutch fingers has popped off and is causing that clicking noise. Seeing as this is my first manual trans, I dont know much about them but I didn't think there were springs on the clutch fingers. Does this sound like it could cause the clicking noise? If so, why would it only do it while warm?

I will probably end up replacing the clutch anyways because I'm pretty sure the throwout bearing is bad. It's pretty difficult to shift into 1st and 2nd and I get that high pitch wining noise on the freeway from the clutch.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

wagnern27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6
I had a 2005 with the 6 spd. I had about 70k on mine and it did the same thing. Not sure when it started, it's done it as long as I can remember and has never caused me any problems or gotten any worse. I even had the throw out bearing replaced(at dealers expense b/c I took it in for another noise that they said was the TO bearing, but wasn't) and the noise still remained afterwards. It is an annoyance though...

JMWeaver is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 4,938
Images: 11
The pressure plate does contain several springs. Whether that is what is causing the clicking or not is anyones guess, but it really doesn't matter if you have throwout bearing issues (which could also be the source of your clicking). You need to do a clutch job either way.
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
Newb
 
CCShanafelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 12
My 2013 Jeep Wrangler is going in the shop for the throw out bearing. The noise is like a wrench hitting something under the motor or maybe two marbles hitting. Luckily the mechanic heard the noise and determined what it was. I only have 1977 miles on it. I am curious to know how that got damaged so quickly. I don't even know what causes those to have issues so maybe someone can provide some info on it. I am not new to driving a stick but want to make sure I am not the culprit. Thank goodness for warranties!!!
CCShanafelt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Toledo Ohio
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCShanafelt View Post
My 2013 Jeep Wrangler is going in the shop for the throw out bearing. The noise is like a wrench hitting something under the motor or maybe two marbles hitting. Luckily the mechanic heard the noise and determined what it was. I only have 1977 miles on it. I am curious to know how that got damaged so quickly. I don't even know what causes those to have issues so maybe someone can provide some info on it. I am not new to driving a stick but want to make sure I am not the culprit. Thank goodness for warranties!!!
What did your mechanic determine it was?
wagnern27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
Newb
 
CCShanafelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnern27 View Post

What did your mechanic determine it was?
Throw out bearing...replacing it and putting in new clutch kit.
CCShanafelt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Toledo Ohio
Posts: 34


Here is a video of that annoying noise I am getting when I press the clutch in. Has anyone else heard this and know how to fix it? BTW, I just got a new clutch in it last week because mine had failed. I told my mechanic to keep an eye out for anything in the bell housing or transmission that could be causing this and he said everything looked clean and perfect in there. It definitely is coming from the transmission though and I can even feel it when i put my hand on the bottom of the transmission more towards the front where it mates up to the engine. Any input is appreciated, thanks!
wagnern27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 4,938
Images: 11
I haven't seen the way the throw out bearing arm on the 6 speed clutch is set up, but on the 5 speed there is a wire clip that holds the passenger side of that arm onto a little ball joint. On both clutch jobs I've done on our Jeeps, those wire clips have broken taking them off and I've had to replace them with new ones. If your 6 speed is set up like that, my guess is that clip is missing in action, and what you are hearing is that end of the arm moving back and forth and hitting the ball that it pivots on. Ask your mechanic if that side of the throw out bearing arm is secured.

In your video, it didn't sound like your engine was running, but that you were just pushing in on the clutch. If that's the case, the only thing that is moving is the throw out bearing arm, the throw out bearing, and the pressure plate.....all clutch parts.
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,567
When mine did that it was the throwout bearing. Just like you I could feel the thud when I put my hand on the trans. It was a new clutch too since after getting the trans swapped. Mine was under warranty.
Moabrubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Toledo Ohio
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
When mine did that it was the throwout bearing. Just like you I could feel the thud when I put my hand on the trans. It was a new clutch too since after getting the trans swapped. Mine was under warranty.
Throwout bearing was replaced with clutch, and the noise still is occurring. Pissing me off!!!
wagnern27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #11
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 4,938
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnern27 View Post
Throwout bearing was replaced with clutch, and the noise still is occurring. Pissing me off!!!
I'd take it back. I just looked up a picture of a 2005 6 speed clutch and it uses the same retainer spring on the throw out arm as the 5 speed.....dollars to donuts it's missing on yours.

Here's a picture of what I believe you are missing..It's called a "return spring" The bottom of it clips over the post of that ball joint, and the round part goes over the top of the throw out arm to keep it against the ball while the opposite end is being pressed against to operate the clutch.
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Toledo Ohio
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dog View Post

I'd take it back. I just looked up a picture of a 2005 6 speed clutch and it uses the same retainer spring on the throw out arm as the 5 speed.....dollars to donuts it's missing on yours.

Here's a picture of what I believe you are missing..It's called a "return spring" The bottom of it clips over the post of that ball joint, and the round part goes over the top of the throw out arm to keep it against the ball while the opposite end is being pressed against to operate the clutch.
That wasn't something that should of been replaced with the clutch is it? If I take it back it they will most likely charge me again for the labor to take it all apart...
wagnern27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #13
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 4,938
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnern27 View Post
That wasn't something that should of been replaced with the clutch is it? If I take it back it they will most likely charge me again for the labor to take it all apart...
That is something that is part of the clutch system, put doesn't come with a clutch kit. My guess is it was probably missing when they took it apart, and they didn't realize there was ever anything there. If it was a dealer shop, they definitely should have caught it, and I would think that any competent mechanic would at least think, "now what holds this end stationary?" So you might be in a little bit of a hard fight (depending on the shop), but I at least would take the picture and go talk to them and see if they're willing to open it back up on their dime. Tell them it not only shows it in the factory service manual, but even the Haynes manual has a picture of it.
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Toledo Ohio
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dog View Post

That is something that is part of the clutch system, put doesn't come with a clutch kit. My guess is it was probably missing when they took it apart, and they didn't realize there was ever anything there. If it was a dealer shop, they definitely should have caught it, and I would think that any competent mechanic would at least think, "now what holds this end stationary?" So you might be in a little bit of a hard fight (depending on the shop), but I at least would take the picture and go talk to them and see if they're willing to open it back up on their dime. Tell them it not only shows it in the factory service manual, but even the Haynes manual has a picture of it.
You think I would have some leverage on the shop because they told me the clicking would be gone with a clutch kit and it's not? I'd even supply the clip I just don't wanna pay labor to take it all apart again.
wagnern27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #15
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 4,938
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnern27 View Post
You think I would have some leverage on the shop because they told me the clicking would be gone with a clutch kit and it's not? I'd even supply the clip I just don't wanna pay labor to take it all apart again.
I don't blame you....I wouldn't either. We just put a clutch in my son's Jeep this past labor day, and that same clip was broken. Naturally there wasn't any dealers open, so we just used a piece of safety tie wire and tied it around the post, then twisted it over the arm and it worked fine...heck, even a couple of tie wraps would work. All it does is hold it lightly against the ball. I'm sure the noise is annoying, but the positive is, it really shouldn't do any damage the way it is.

If it were mine and I couldn't get the shop to fix it for free, I'd be tempted to consider boring about an inch hole in the side of the housing to get the clip on, then make a cover for the hole or pop a rubber plug in it.
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #16
Newb
 
CCShanafelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 12
It was my snap rings!! They replaced the clutch and throw out bearing and then it still made the noise. So the part changers were told to check my transmission by Chrysler to see what may have broken. Well, the snap rings were off and clanging around in there and they have to replace them.
CCShanafelt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
tkollman88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 68
My 2005 makes the exact same noise as yours in the video. Doesn't seem to hurt anything but its a little annoying. What are they charging you to fix it?
tkollman88 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Toledo Ohio
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCShanafelt View Post
It was my snap rings!! They replaced the clutch and throw out bearing and then it still made the noise. So the part changers were told to check my transmission by Chrysler to see what may have broken. Well, the snap rings were off and clanging around in there and they have to replace them.
was yours sounding like mine in the video?
wagnern27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
tkollman88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnern27 View Post

was yours sounding like mine in the video?
I was thinking it was him that posted the video. Mine sounds just like yours and I can't figure out what it is.
tkollman88 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #20
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 4,938
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnern27 View Post
was yours sounding like mine in the video?
If yours, makes the noise only when you push in on the clutch, I can almost guaranty that it is the return spring. Have you taken it back to the shop yet?
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Toledo Ohio
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dog View Post

If yours, makes the noise only when you push in on the clutch, I can almost guaranty that it is the return spring. Have you taken it back to the shop yet?
Nope not yet. Is it worth paying them to drop the transmission for that?
wagnern27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #22
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 4,938
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnern27 View Post
Nope not yet. Is it worth paying them to drop the transmission for that?
Probably not, but like you said before, you took it in for them to solve the noise problem that you still have. Is it fair that they charged you and didn't complete what you took it in for?
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Toledo Ohio
Posts: 34
If I was gonna do this myself, where could I get a return spring from? Also do you guys recommend replacing anything else on the clutch assembly while in there? I don't wanna do this again.
wagnern27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #24
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 4,938
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnern27 View Post
If I was gonna do this myself, where could I get a return spring from? Also do you guys recommend replacing anything else on the clutch assembly while in there? I don't wanna do this again.
The return spring is a dealer item...About $5 IIRC. Once you get the transmission off the engine, it's a 30 second job to put the spring on. Everything else in the clutch "should have been" replaced with the clutch job. If we we're so far apart, I'd give you a hand.
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Toledo Ohio
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dog View Post

The return spring is a dealer item...About $5 IIRC. Once you get the transmission off the engine, it's a 30 second job to put the spring on. Everything else in the clutch "should have been" replaced with the clutch job. If we we're so far apart, I'd give you a hand.
Thanks for the offer, we need more people like you. I just don't have a lift or a tranny jack so it would be hard for me to do it.

wagnern27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
clutch , transmission

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC