The other day, I got in my 2004 Wrangler SE (2.4L) and the battery was dead. Jumped it and drove to work, which is about 25 miles. At work, I shut it down and immediately started it again, so the battery seemed fine. Suspecting that there may be something drawing the battery down, I unhooked the positive terminal so the battery wouldn't get drained during the day. The battery still lost it's charge over the day as the Jeep would barely start when I reconnected it and headed home. I assumed the battery was just not taking a charge anymore and planned to change it out.
When I got home, I disconnected the battery terminal again and checked the amperage from the positive terminal to the positive battery clamp and measured 0.432 amps initially for about 4 seconds and then the current dropped to 0.240 amps. I redid this test again with the same result.
I started pulling fuses and found that the "accessory 2" fuse in location #26 in the fuse panel on the right side inner fender was where the current was going. With this fuse pulled the current dropped to 0.04 amps and stayed there, which must be the draw from the clock or some other small load.
So, my questions are:
1. What does the fuse in location #26 do? So far, all I can tell is it powers the annoying beeper sound in the dash that goes on when the gas tank is low. I wish I had a circuit diagram. Is there anything else it might go to?
2. Is the 0.04 amp draw normal?
Thanks for the help.