Currie Rear Trac Bar Relocator Bracket - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 29
Currie Rear Trac Bar Relocator Bracket

I'm currently installing a Currie 4" Lift on my 2004 TJ. No big problems really at this point. I have a slight issue though with the angled rear trac bar relocator bracket (not their standard bracket). I went to fit it to drill bolt holes etc and noticed that the rear brake line interfers with mounting it flush. I'm assuming it is alright to bend the brake line to make it fit or do i need to buy a braided steel line? Always scared to bend and pull on brake lines. I called Currie and the guy i spoke with didn't seem to think there was an issue with brake line interference. My brake line interferes. If anyone has installed this bracket your experience would be appreciated.

Micky is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 29
In the pics what it doesn't show is the bracket extends past the brake line and needs to be welded to the housing tube.


Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	228116

Click image for larger version

Name:	image (2).jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	228117


Micky is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
Wild Willys!

WF Supporting Member
 
All Terrain JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MI
Posts: 1,456
I just received my Currie TB and angled bracket yesterday so I haven't installed yet. If the brake line is in the way it's gonna have to move. I would try to bend it out of the way. The are pretty pliable if it breaks it probably needs replaced anyway. Can you post a pick?
__________________
Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!
Frame off TJ restore project
All Terrain JK is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
Wild Willys!

WF Supporting Member
 
All Terrain JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MI
Posts: 1,456
You should be just fine bending that out of the way. Where did you hear it has to be welded? My instructions said 4 bolts and doesn't mention welding.
__________________
Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!
Frame off TJ restore project
All Terrain JK is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Terrain TJ View Post
You should be just fine bending that out of the way. Where did you hear it has to be welded? My instructions said 4 bolts and doesn't mention welding.
There are two brackets from Currie; the newest one is left bare along the bottom edge so that it can be welded to the axle tube.

For reference:




http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=3848
geiman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 29
Well if you got the standard bracket (part# 9121) then you should be fine, and I beleive it is an all bolt-on bracket. However, if you got their new angled bracket (part # 9121N) it requires welding. I thought i was getting the standard bracket with the kit but it came with their new on. The angled bracket is better I think as it reduces preload and has better gas tank cleareance; just requires a little more work to get it on.
Micky is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
Wild Willys!

WF Supporting Member
 
All Terrain JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MI
Posts: 1,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by geiman View Post

There are two brackets from Currie; the newest one is left bare along the bottom edge so that it can be welded to the axle tube.
Huh... You would think they'd mention that in the instructions or maybe in need to read a little better. I wondered why they left off the power coating lol. Thanks for pointing that out.
__________________
Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!
Frame off TJ restore project
All Terrain JK is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
Wild Willys!

WF Supporting Member
 
All Terrain JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MI
Posts: 1,456
Not a big deal, I got the front axle housing JJ kit as well. If I gotta weld on the front axle, might as well weld on the rear.
__________________
Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!
Frame off TJ restore project
All Terrain JK is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Terrain TJ View Post
Huh... You would think they'd mention that in the instructions or maybe in need to read a little better. I wondered why they left off the power coating lol. Thanks for pointing that out.
Just a heads up, the instructions for that bar are here:

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...s/CE-9123N.pdf

and they do mention welding. If yours don't they are probably still sending out the old instructions for some reason, maybe it was a mistake or maybe they just assume it's common sense.

Either way, I agree they should at least include the updated instructions.

They have all of their instructions here if you ever need them:

CurrieEnterprises.com - Instruction Sheet
geiman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
Wild Willys!

WF Supporting Member
 
All Terrain JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MI
Posts: 1,456
Thanks a lot geiman.
__________________
Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!
Frame off TJ restore project
All Terrain JK is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 27
Question here.

I'm about to start installing the 3" kit this weekend. My SYE and driveshaft are not here yet.

Am I going to run into problems with the currie bracket/ currie trackbar when there isn't any pinion rotation to line up the angled bracket correctly?

I'm not going to be wheeling this thing til the sye/cv comes anyways.
MayMay is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,221
Which bracket does the kit come with? The old one is straight, the new one is angled. I've never used the angled one, so I couldn't say whether you would have an issue with it or not; I'd imagine it depends on how angled it is.
geiman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by geiman View Post
Which bracket does the kit come with? The old one is straight, the new one is angled. I've never used the angled one, so I couldn't say whether you would have an issue with it or not; I'd imagine it depends on how angled it is.
It's the newest one with the weld posted above.
MayMay is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMay View Post
It's the newest one with the weld posted above.
Maybe someone that has put it on already can give you an idea, or possibly you can call Currie and see what they say. Personally I'd hold off on the lift until you have the SYE in, but that's just me.

Since it's an adjustable bar it might work enough for street use provided you can get it bolted in.

Another option is if you'll only be on the road, you can run without a rear drive shaft which would let you rotate the axle properly. Nothing wrong with running in front wheel drive for a while.
geiman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by geiman View Post
Maybe someone that has put it on already can give you an idea, or possibly you can call Currie and see what they say. Personally I'd hold off on the lift until you have the SYE in, but that's just me.

Since it's an adjustable bar it might work enough for street use provided you can get it bolted in.

Another option is if you'll only be on the road, you can run without a rear drive shaft which would let you rotate the axle properly. Nothing wrong with running in front wheel drive for a while.
Maybe someone will chime in who has installed this bracket. I'll give Currie a call in the meantime. Thanks.

It wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have such limited time to work on it.
MayMay is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 52
I installed a Savvy/Currie 3" lift on my 03 Rubicon about 9 months ago with that new style track bar bracket. Yes it does require the lower edge of the bracket to be welded to the axle tube. As far as the brake line goes, I just bent mine ever so slightly so the new track bar bracket would fit between the brake line and the axle tube. It was only a very little bit and it caused no issue and is still working fine to this day.

My understanding about the angled vs straight track bar mount is that it has to do with the type of driveshaft used. When you install a CV style driveshaft, you have to rotate the pinion up towards the output shaft of the transfer case. When you do that, it will make the angled track bar bracket sit straight up and down above the axle and the track bar will be centered in the bracket. That being said, using the JJ trackbar from Curry will still work fine with the stock style driveshaft, it just not centered in the bracket. I have been using mine like that since I installed it. I installed the angled bracket because I knew I would be going to a CV style driveshaft in the future. Tummy tuck is going on next week so for me, the future is now.
1320quick is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320quick View Post
I installed a Savvy/Currie 3" lift on my 03 Rubicon about 9 months ago with that new style track bar bracket. Yes it does require the lower edge of the bracket to be welded to the axle tube. As far as the brake line goes, I just bent mine ever so slightly so the new track bar bracket would fit between the brake line and the axle tube. It was only a very little bit and it caused no issue and is still working fine to this day.
It's great to get knowledge from someone that has installed it. Much appreciated!
Micky is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320quick View Post
My understanding about the angled vs straight track bar mount is that it has to do with the type of driveshaft used. When you install a CV style driveshaft, you have to rotate the pinion up towards the output shaft of the transfer case. When you do that, it will make the angled track bar bracket sit straight up and down above the axle and the track bar will be centered in the bracket.
While that's partly true, the straight bracket will work just fine with a CV drive shaft. Up until a few months ago, Currie didn't even sell the newer curved bracket that needs welded. I ran the straight one for quite a while with a CV drive shaft, the Savvy UA, and a 4" suspension lift which results in a very high pinion angle. Even with that, the straight bracket still works just fine.

If you read Currie's product description, you'll see where they mention that they recommend the new bracket mainly for TJs to help give extra clearance between the gas tank and trac bar. LJs have more room, so the cheaper standard bracket still works fine for them.

Just an FYI.
geiman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by geiman View Post
While that's partly true, the straight bracket will work just fine with a CV drive shaft. Up until a few months ago, Currie didn't even sell the newer curved bracket that needs welded. I ran the straight one for quite a while with a CV drive shaft, the Savvy UA, and a 4" suspension lift which results in a very high pinion angle. Even with that, the straight bracket still works just fine.

If you read Currie's product description, you'll see where they mention that they recommend the new bracket mainly for TJs to help give extra clearance between the gas tank and trac bar. LJs have more room, so the cheaper standard bracket still works fine for them.

Just an FYI.
That sounds correct as well. I would guess either of those brackets would work. I was at Rokmen this week to pick up my new transfer case skid for my upcoming TT and Dave at Rokmen mentioned that I may have to change out my trackbar mount to an angled one when I moved the pinion for the CV drive shaft. I honestly had not heard of that before then but when I looked at the one I installed 9 months ago, it was the angled bracket so I'm set either way. I did do a bit of poking around when he said that to me and found this bracket at JKS:

JKS Manufacturing: Trackbar Components

They make mention of the CV driveshaft in the product overview. I do agree with you that either bracket can work as we have both used them in setups that prove that.
1320quick is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,221
Many of the brackets are angled, many are straight; I've had both, and either work just fine. Even with a 23 degree pinion angle (which is undesirably high) both brackets work just fine.

The nice thing about the angled brackets is that they do give you a bit more room between the gas tank and trac bar, but as long as you're not trying to cheat your wheelbase back further than it should be it's not usually a problem.
geiman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #21
Creepy Crawler

WF Supporting Member
 
BLK00TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMay View Post
Maybe someone will chime in who has installed this bracket. I'll give Currie a call in the meantime. Thanks.

It wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have such limited time to work on it.
I installed mine which was the angled on that came with the kit. I haven't driven much (just around the block) because I still need to have it welded in. For the brake line, you can pry it up gently with a big screwdriver and slide the bracket under it.

I also ordered the reinforcement bracket (PN # CE-9120RBB) but found that the bolts from the bracket get in the way so I need to flip the bolts around before installing it. It also needs to be welded to the axle.

__________________
Wheel. Break/Test. Repair/Upgrade. Repeat
BLK00TJ's YouTube Channel -- BLK00TJ's Build
BLK00TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC